Pre match: Liverpool v Manchester City ( EPL 7/10/18 1630 ko)

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad.
More than a banana skin this game, we are well off the boil, our front 3 are misfiring, the midfield are uninspiring and yet we are joint top of the league.This will be our biggest test of the season. A few of the boys are looking tired and jaded. I would drop Salah and Trent and rest Milner.

My team would be:

.............................Becker......................
Clyney........Gomez........Virgil....... Robertson
...........................Fabinho...........................
......... Henderson............. Wijnaldum.........
Shaqiri..................Firmino...................Mane

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
This game will be decided by which Liverpool team comes out on Sunday.

I know it's football we are talking about and one never knows what will happen, but Guardiola must be delighted: they are on a high in terms of form, and we are arguably on a low right now.

Klopp played his first team at Napoli, but what will he do now? Take the same players and ask them to redeem themselves from their abysmal performance in Italy? Or make changes? Whatever, I trust him to make the right decisions.

Fingers crossed that our lads can all massively raise their performance level for that game. If they can't do this and play like in Napoli, we're in for a mauling. But I trust them to show a reaction.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Last season's game was one of the best, possibly the very best game, I've seen at Anfield. So I celebrated getting a ticket for this one almost as loudly as I celebrated Mane's piledriver.

Obviously the Napoli game puts us on a downer. Always a blow to the balls losing a game late on but we can hardly complain. We were piss poor and totally outclassed. This one is definitely a 'must not lose' game. If we go into the break three points behind City having lost at home to them then there is a danger of them starting to move away. To still be level on points would be fine especially with some easier games coming up. Win and go top after the run of games we've just had? Amazing.

JK is surrounded by sports science data, sees them all in training and will know who's tired, doesn't fancy it, etc. I wondered whether some of those who played last night had the City game at the back of their mind and played within themselves a bit. Not everyone seemed to be busting a gut anyway. There will be no slacking on Sunday. We need to leave everything on the pitch. Huge game, potentially a pivotal one for our whole season.

charleslee89

TIA New Signing
If we play the midfield trio of Hendo-Milner-Gini, we will lose the midfield battle and face a real thrashing from City who have perfected their attack.

If we play the Hendo-Milner-Gini axis again, I reckon a 4-0 to Man City. However if we change up our formation from 4-3-3 to a 4-2-3-1 with Shaqiri at CAM, Fabinho and Keita/Gini anchoring the middle, I think we can steal all 3 points.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
If we play the midfield trio of Hendo-Milner-Gini, we will lose the midfield battle and face a real thrashing from City who have perfected their attack.

If we play the Hendo-Milner-Gini axis again, I reckon a 4-0 to Man City. However if we change up our formation from 4-3-3 to a 4-2-3-1 with Shaqiri at CAM, Fabinho and Keita/Gini anchoring the middle, I think we can steal all 3 points.
Hendo, Milner and Gini are more than capable. They've proven that a few times this season. Once bad day at the office hardly means they "will lose the battle". Yesterday's loss was as much to do with our front three not being there at the right moments than anything else.

I'd be minded to stick the three of them in again - can't see us trusting Fabinho just yet - although I'd be happy to see him in.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Really an even more pivotal game than was expected, and it has been huge since the fixture list came out. The four game sequence of Chelsea-Chelsea-Napoli-City was identified many as season-defining. Well, we have been flushed out of the League Cup, picked up 1 pt in the league, and drawn level in the CL group. If we cap that with falling a match behind the top of the league, it really might be season-defining.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Last season we had Oxlade-Chamberlain driving towards their defence while all our front three separate them in every direction. This match we don't have anyone that could do that from the middle of the park. Keita probably injured for this one, and I don't know if Fabinho is ready for this match. Alexander-Arnold and Robertson needs to shake off the midweek problems they had, and I really hope Klopp find that missing piece that is needed for our front 3 to gel.

Beating Spurs and drew with Chelsea gave us the 4 points we didn't have last season. Winning this one and we maintained the 4 points better off than last season. Draw and we are 2 points better off than last season. Losing this and we are only 1 point better. However this one pans out, I don't want a performance like the one we had in midweek. The coaches need to do something different if we don't have the firepower in the middle of the park. Don't want to see us going into the international break a few points off from top 2.

RedForever2014

Klopp has to seriously consider dropping TAA, who could get seriously undone by Sane on current form. The need for centre backs to come out and cover him also risks them getting injured overstretching, or booked or sent off.

We need to go with Clyne or Fabinho there, or switch Gomez and bring Lovren or Matip in.

The other option is a 3 man defence, with Gomez right and Lovren left of VVD.

If Klopp plays Gini, Milner and Hendo in midfield we're asking for it.

Maybe we could go 4231 with Bobby at 10 and Sturridge up top.

………………………….Alisson
Fabinho…….Gomez...………..VVD...……...Robertson
…………...Gini...…………..Hendo
……...Salah...…..Bobby...……….Mane
……………………...Sturridge

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
This game will be very different to Napoli. For a start, I’ll be in the kop.

Last season, this was an unbelievable match. We started the Andy Robertson chant... and the whole world knew we have a serious team.

We are much better than what we saw on Wednesday... that was just a one off.

We will come back stronger. Did I mention I’m in the kop? So effing excited.

City are not at their best either so probably best time to play them,i suppose the same could be said the other way around though but i'm certain we'll be well up for these lot,sneaky 1-0 please.

FilthyBloke

Positives: our defence and keeper have looked, in general, very tight and don’t concede many.
And we will have a bouncing kop.

Negatives: our midfield doesn’t have any mix to it and very little in creativity.
Our front three are not functioning well. And we look tired.

So I’m going to say 1-3 to city. Not because I’m defeatist, but, despite only dropping two points all season, we look as low on confidence as Newcastle United. And city, who are not at their best, still look fluid and lethal. I hope I’m wrong.

Sweeting

City's fixture list has been ridiculously easy. Arsenal are, by a considerable margin, the best team they have played.

We have had a brutal schedule over the last month, I think it is little wonder we looked a bit jaded on Wednesday. Hopefully we have a big performance left in our legs before the schedule eases up.

Redopium

We need a 4th consecutive win over these champions league virgins, hopefully we were holding back last night and we show them the real Liverpool, 3 points would be fantastic 1 would be acceptable.

jaffod

Same 3 that started at Chelsea last week, out-played PSG, fucking destroyed Roma and plenty more beside. Too much shit being hurled at these 3 by the keyboard master-tacticians.
If the front 3 can pull their heads out of their arses it will make things a lot easier for the midfield instead of the constant loss of possession we're seeing at the moment which can leave them exposed.

We need to get stuck into these early, starting an hour before KO in Anfield Road. They don't like it up 'em!

charleslee89

TIA New Signing
Hendo, Milner and Gini are more than capable. They've proven that a few times this season. Once bad day at the office hardly means they "will lose the battle". Yesterday's loss was as much to do with our front three not being there at the right moments than anything else.

I'd be minded to stick the three of them in again - can't see us trusting Fabinho just yet - although I'd be happy to see him in.
One bad day in office?I'm pretty sure that 8 times out of 9 times they appeared together, we had zero clean sheet.

Same 3 that started at Chelsea last week, out-played PSG, fucking destroyed Roma and plenty more beside. Too much shit being hurled at these 3 by the keyboard master-tacticians.
If the front 3 can pull their heads out of their arses it will make things a lot easier for the midfield instead of the constant loss of possession we're seeing at the moment which can leave them exposed.

We need to get stuck into these early, starting an hour before KO in Anfield Road. They don't like it up 'em!

The same 3 that started at Chelsea nearly lost us that match if not for Sturridge's wonder strike. As for PSG, they had a makeshift DM in Marquinhos and an Angel Di Maria who is a true winger in CM. As for fucking destroyed Roma, I don't think the aggregate score over 2 legs suggested Destroyed at all.

1dragon

TIA Regular
I am putting all my superstition to one side for this match onwards. Previously, I had abstained from posting on pre and post match threads. I thought that doing so contributed to our unbeaten start to the season. Sadly, this proved to be untrue.

This match has a weird feeling to it. On one hand, I am nervous because of the insipid displays seen in the past match. On the other, I am quietly confident as Klopp's tactics tend to do well against Pep's. I believe it just so happens that Pep's style suits our tactics to a tee.

Notwithstanding, I think we should drop a couple of players.

Alisson
Clyne-Gomez-VVD-Robertson
Wijnaldum
Henderson-Fabinho
Mane-Firmino-Shaq

TAA should be rested. He has played almost non stop and has been exploited by the experienced pros. Sane will be relishing to go up against him. I rather we keep Sane quiet and attack through the opposite flank. No Milner too as he looks like he needs a rest. Fabinho to play the box to box role as he can bring the ball forward. We really need to bully Silva and Co into submission here. Salah to be dropped but retained as a weapon off the bench. Mane on the right to exploit their LB, which has been problematic since Mendy got injured.

We do have more stamina and better quality players as compared to Hoffenhiem and Lyon, so we should be able to get something.

OCred

Well this game is the true test of character, innit?

Whether the lads have the cajones to rise to the occasion and forget the past. Klopp will mind-condition these boys to come out smokin. Of this I have no doubt. He knows his players and we can and will trust Klopp to make it so.

Cant wait. As to droppint TAA for Clyne, not a bad idea at all, pending Clynes training sessions. Shake up in the midfield, well depends on Naby injury, but as some have pointed out, that same trio of midfielders did get results, so even though we all have our issues with some, its still a winning midfield or at least was. But regardless, agree that Milner is looking ragged, but never count out that energy tank of his, especially against his old team. Gini is always amazing in his stamina. The midfield guy to worry about, is well Hendo. If he starts, which is pretty certain, lets hope for one of his better performances.

We can do this. We own man shitty, esp. at Anfield.................long gone is the Skrtyl goal gift to them, as is the penalty save by Simon.....oh that was so yesteryear. This is the dawn of a new age, this is our time, Liverpool Ascending, believe it, watch it, and live it.

Halleluja

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
There are a few more days until this match. I assume Klopp won't train them to hard to enable them to get their energy level up.
Anfield will take care of any player still low, can't see our players slacking off in front of the Kop.
Not to worried about Sane, TAA had a bad outing, he knows it, he should be alright. I'd rather have him push forward and make Sane run back to help cover than Clyne.
My biggest concern is Milner. It is true - he is human. Not sure if he has it in him to go 90 minutes against City. With Keita probably injured, Fabinho is nowhere ready for the pace of this match, Shakiri is the only one who can step in.
There is one more option, truely out of the box. Bring Firmino back, play him as a CAM and put Sturridge up top.

Can't predict the outcome of this, but I am fairly positive we won't see a repeat of the Napoli performance.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
I was looking back to the last match where we were flying (Soton home), Koop utilized a 4-2-3-1 with Hendo and Wijnaldum as the dual pivots and Shaqiri tucked in behind the usual front 3. I hope he does it again against City, but this time use Bobby as the #10, Shaqiri out wide and Sturridge leading the line

We won’t out-press them and with Bobby playing deeper he can help defend a bit

Salah on the bench for this one, and moving forward until he wakes up and starts playing football again

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
Stop David Siva and we stop City. For me he’s their most important player and when he’s out they’re not the same. Nullify his influence and we’ll take the points.
One yeh, nearly forgot! Do a Flanno and kick Sterling up in the air in the first few minutes and he won’t want to know for the rest of the game. I’ll personally volunteer for that job.

auzziez

I don't believe in miracles. I rely on them
Not much worried about the match. Klopp would have given enough kick up their arse, to the squad chosen, to get the result he wants.A win or a draw would do for me.
A loss worries me, especially considering the goal difference.

However I am more worried about the 15HD cameras City have installed on their bus. I am afraid we might finally see a mug shot of @ILLOK

RodM

Last season we had Oxlade-Chamberlain driving towards their defence while all our front three separate them in every direction. This match we don't have anyone that could do that from the middle of the park. Keita probably injured for this one, and I don't know if Fabinho is ready for this match. Alexander-Arnold and Robertson needs to shake off the midweek problems they had, and I really hope Klopp find that missing piece that is needed for our front 3 to gel.
I think I mentioned in the post-Napoli thread that the Ox is starting to look like the missing link in the chain. I didn't think that Robertson had that bad a game midweek. Both he and Trent are reliant on the midfield both covering and creating space for them if they are going forward. They can't be in two places at the same time. Trent looked worse but I think that was because our right side was not funtioning as well as the left and Napoli knew that. Aside from that, Robbo has this demeanour that says "I played Scottish football for an amateur side and survived."

Foldy

Looks like there are a few people who don't want Salah to start? I think you need him in a game like this just for the threat he can be, he constantly drives forward and puts the shits up their defence. I don't doubt Shaqiri's ability but what you want is for the City players to be thinking 'what if today is the day Mo finds his target'. If anyone need replacing its Firmino, I'd start Sturridge or as was stated earlier stick Firmino as an AM behind Daniel with Mane and Salah on the flanks. Our back four just need to keep doing what they do, Gomez has to play, Trent had a shocker last game but I think he'll be ok for City. Thoughts on midfield?

I think I'd like to see Shaq and Mo on the pitch at the same time. Shaq in the advanced CM role with a whip close by to make him track better. Nevertheless, a few legs need resting. Needs must Jurgen, Im afraid.

Not looking forward to this one; hope there is going to be the required reaction.

Retro Helix

Alright then, time to rest some players for Sunday:

Mignolet
Clyne-Matip-Gomez-Moreno
Fabinho Henderson
Shaqiri-Lallana-Wijnaldum
Sturridge