• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Pre-match: Liverpool v Napoli/Lyon

CanuckoLFC

Ghost in the Shell SAC
End result ? Divock Origi screws Barcelona and Tottenham and wins the Champions League for Liverpool.

That said , I agree with what you said. He's a clutch player though
It seems to me that Div does not tend to follow through and carry on running for the ball. Again, today he stopped chasing, and missed an opportunity to force another chance. Not too much compliant though, like the other said, he scores the important one by loitering around. :)

For Alisson, well, he got the howler out of the way. We are all good!

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Even with all the divisions and and poor leadership at OL last year they still have CL football this coming season. It will be interesting to see how they respond to whatever Sylvinho is trying to do, there is still a lot of talent in that side. I am a fan of Memphis's football and hope he has a great season.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Results suddenly seem much more important when you win a pre-season friendly. I enjoyed that. I was ready to go into full pant-shitting mode had we turned in another 'Murrayfield', but that was much better despite the terrible start.

Mo and Bobby predictably transformed our attacking play but Keita was the star performer of the first half. Looked really sharp. Please let him stay fit this season. Harry Wilson's goal was great. He has the technique so can do that sort of stuff but it's whether we get enough from his general play that leaves me uncertain about him. Still he has done well in the last two games and I will continue to write him off in the hope he'll prove me wrong.

Love Hoever. One of the best lads at that age I've seen play for the club. And JK is showing a lot of faith in even younger Elliott. Is JK about to use a 17 year old as back up full back and a 16 year old as back up wide attacker? Well, the man has balls the size of Jupiter so it wouldn't surprise me.

Koon

Very bad englando. I'm so sorry.
Lots of positive performances today, but I must talk about two of them: Hoever's and Elliott's.

Hoever looks good at right back. Very calm on the ball, nice link up plays with Salah, good defensively too. It's all just friendlies, but he looks more comfortable playing at right back than Gomez.

The other player is Elliott. When we bought him I was like "ok, in 2~3 years he might be ready for first team fotoball", but from what I've seen, he is ready now. From all pre-season matches, he was by far the player who has surprised me the most. His decision making (both on and off the ball) is that of a 30 year old veteran. He has technique, pace, vision, pass and he tries to make everything very simple and effective. I'm not saying the should be a starter or anything like that, but if what we have seen today is his regular level, maybe he could be considered as a the third/fourth right winger along with Salah, Shaqiri and Ox and play some cup games.

We might have a gem in our hands. Actually, many gems, but those two are players we should look very narrowly.

richieh10

Wilson gotta be given a chance. Could prove to be an
Important decision to keep him I feel. Loves a 25 yarder as well
Don’t he

FGred

Much much better allround bothe teams put out by Klopp in each half were well balanced as the youngsters were well marshalled by a good quantity of experienced players they weren’t isolated as they were against Napoli. The inclusion of our usual forwards settled the side almost back to last season’s standards. The second half was a tad better with VVD at the back we controlled the game a lot better and it became less frantic, the icing on the cake would have been a goal or two. Young Elliott was fearless Edwards has cracked it again! Roll on the charity shield I think Gladiola is starting to scratch his bonce already.

peter roberts

On the Celtic Ray
Seeing the quality of these kids we've got makes me think Klopp is absolutely right to not go chasing signiatues this summer just for the sake of it. Keep these lads sharp and chomping at the bit , knowing they are going to get chances and come season's end we might just discover we've got another couple of superstars on our hands.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Just watched the game and had the following thoughts

- Lallana was excellent in the deeper role. Might be an option to give Fab a rest against a team we’d be expected to dominate.

- Wilson has a wand of a left foot and scored a worldwide, but he didn’t do a lot beyond this. I think he’ll struggle for minutes if he stays.

- Hoever looks great at right back and I’d be happy with him backing up Trent.

- What a gem it looks like we have in Elliot. 16 years old and strutting round like he owned the pitch. Tore a strip off Hendo at one point.

- appalling decision for the pen. Alisson made the initial mistake, but it was an atrocious dive.

Richard88

My thoughts on the Lyon game:

First of all, in general our team pressing was much better. The start was very sloppy, and the penalty was ridiculous. Having no proper holding midfielder caused us to get countered on a few times until we settled things down and dominated the ball.

As for comments on individual players,

Keita and especially Lallana looked really good, totally ran the show in midfield.

Hoever looks really composed and good in attacking areas, and I'd gladly see him feature at RB this season.

Interesting to see Wilson on the left for an hour. Given our lack of LW options he might be a serious option there. He scored a cracking goal, and was also quite direct a few times, however, I got the sense that not much of the play was going through either him or Larouci on the left. That goal is awesome and he obviously has that in him, but beyond the goal I find that he struggles to link up well with the guys around him.

Brewster had a very quiet and disappointing performance. Klopp was also furious at him in the 2nd half, seemingly for not closing down or for not making a run. To be fair though, Klopp has spoken about him feeling his legs a lot during what is his first preseason so it might be harsh to judge him now. Moreover, his 30 minutes came when there weren't many First XI players on the pitch, and it's reasonable to expect that he would might make more of an impact playing with more First XI players around him rather than a makeshift XI.

Hard to draw conclusions from only 15 minutes, but none of Van den Berg, Lewis, or Duncan really stood out. Van den Berg still is still very raw for a CB and looked a bit rushed whenever he got the ball, perhaps from nerves. I think he's at least a year or two away from the first team action, even in cups. Which isn't to say he doesn't look like a good prospect, but I just think he needs to fill out a bit and develop a bit more before being ready.

I'm not convinced by Larouci, though he does have some flashes of good play here and there. He might get a game in the cup like Camacho did last season, but I think largely we're going to depend on Milner/Hoever for cover at LB this season.

It’s telling that Elliott got to play with mostly First XI at the end, and he didn’t look out of place. In fact, he looked like our best attacker and the most likely to create a goal in the final 30. I have a feeling that despite the lack of big spending this summer, we’re still going to be looking back at this window as a successful window a few years from now, solely due to the Elliott signing.

It was great to see the intensity stay high with all the subs with 30 mins left. I think the XI (plus Alisson) that played the last 30 minutes is roughly what we'll see against City on Sunday, plus a mix of attackers depending on who's fit.

As for Lyon, Aouar looks like a player who desperately needs to play with better players around him to bring out his best qualities. The quality on the ball between him and the rest of their midfield was stark. I would love to sign him as a Lallana/Milner replacement next summer.

Danny_

Agreed 100%. And it feels silly (for me, anyway) to critique Big Div because of how massive his goals are and have been for us. I am not saying negative about him, just observations more than anything.
To be honest, the goal against Barca was more down to TAA than him. Yes, he took the chance well but it was put on a platter for him. He does have a habit of being in the right place at the right time but I agree. I have never been too impressed with him except for that one season under Brendan Rodgers where he seemed to catch fire. He needs to do that again. He is at the age that he has to either produce or we just have to accept that this is his level.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
To be honest, the goal against Barca was more down to TAA than him. Yes, he took the chance well but it was put on a platter for him. He does have a habit of being in the right place at the right time but I agree. I have never been too impressed with him except for that one season under Brendan Rodgers where he seemed to catch fire. He needs to do that again. He is at the age that he has to either produce or we just have to accept that this is his level.
Ooh, that’s harsh. He showed great composure and awareness to put that goal in. It was a lot harder than it looked. It was no tap in.

Scott Jones

Blunt
Ad-free Member
Fabinho always looks calm on the ball even with players steaming in towards him,he'll make certain of the pass regardless of difficulty and ride any lunging tackle (fucking foul) with ease,he sees the game in slow motion like Alisson and VVD giving us a strong spine who are also cool as fuck.

treboeth

Fabinho always looks calm on the ball even with players steaming in towards him,he'll make certain of the pass regardless of difficulty and ride any lunging tackle (fucking foul) with ease,he sees the game in slow motion like Alisson and VVD giving us a strong spine who are also cool as fuck.
Fab also has a touch of the Enforcer about him.
Not afraid to put a hard tackle in when an opposing player needs his card marked.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Fabinho had look woeful in preseason up TIL now, but today in that 30 he excelled, the team was better today, we created and Hoever has to be considered cover.

I think Wilson has been one of our better players so I would give him that chance, we have that EFL Trophy this season so I hope Elliott appears In that though I think those who played 30 minutes or more are in Klopp considerations, that ironically includes young Elliott.

After playing on Baseball fields and rugby fields it’s nice to go back to a football field.

Commando

Ad-free Member
The new lad Wilson looked decent tonight, what did we pay for him again?
From the commentary, we got him at six years old (spotted playing in a tournament) and signed him to the academy at seven years of age. So, we paid not for him.

He got kicked to feck tonight, but didn't let it perturb him at all. Just got up, had a little look at who it was that had fouled him and carried on. I have to say that for a "friendly" when our starting eleven came on at the end I thought that the tackles seemed to get meatier.

Libero

???

I'm not sure that Trent was in midfield. He seemed to be playing his usual position from what I could tell.
Alisson
Hoever Gomez SvdB Larouci
Ox TAA Jones
Elliott Brewster Wilson

Isn’t that an interesting lineup with mainly young/academy/british + Alisson.
Ahh ok, maybe @GermanRed was posting a future lineup and I thought maybe this team took the field lol

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
This match was a good summary for the entire pre season. This is what I saw:
  1. Youngsters - Hoever, Brewster, Elliot, VdB, Lewis, Duncan, Larouci. They all had a nice run in, but none of them actually made an honest claim to be part of the senior team on a regular basis. With perhaps the exception of Brewster, I will be surprised if any of them will be part of a match squad ( barring injuries ). Gomez, Fabinho, Milner will continue to provide cover for LB and RB positions this season.
  2. Wilson & Kent - While Kent is supposedly sick and missed this match, like Wilson I don't see either of them making a big enough impression on Klopp to keep them. If Someone would offer Klopp 25M for Wilson, he will drive him there himself. Kent probably will go for even less. I don't think either of them has a future under Klopp. This is not to say they are not good players, and might go on to be great players, I just don't think Klopp see them fitting in to his plan.
  3. Lallana - Perhaps the most interesting thing in pre season was his shift to the #6 role. I doubt it was a makeshift change, but something Klopp is seriously thinking about. I got to say, he really impressed. While I doubt he has now taken over Fabinho's spot, I think Klopp will use him there more than people think. I would even say thta he migh tbe used rather against better oppositions rather than those we expect to have 70% of possession. The reason is, the more possession we have, the more our FB's are taking positions up field and we are playing with the DM in front of 2 CB's which means the positional awareness to sniff out fast counter attacks is more important. However, when p[laying in a crowded midfield, getting yourself free and making a smart pass is more important, which is where Lallana can be effective.
  4. Attack - Origi, Brewster, Shaq and Gini all had a go, and it didn't look good. Salah and Bobby came back, and everything looks different. Basically, our plan B is nowhere near good enough.
  5. Keta, Ox - Klopp banked on both of them to be " new signings" for this season. He still hasn't figured out how exactly to balance the midfield.
  6. CB's - While VVD is an automatic, i am not sure who Klopp will pick out of Matip, Gomez and Lovren to start the season along side him. Matip was excellent last season, Gomez is the future, and Lovren has proved he is a fine CB and had a good pre season as well.