• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

PRE-MATCH: Liverpool v Newcastle (Sunday 4.11.12; 4 pm GMT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
Not sure how many times Krul has been bothered. They have 1 shot on goal and one goal from a non striker.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
Despite dominating and battering teams, we'll get embroiled in a relegation dogfight this season... how weird is this?

The ten first minutes, we looked like world-beaters. But a match lasts 90 minutes, not ten.

Suarez is exasperating when he plays like today. Does he really think he will get a goal by trying to dribble the whole Newcastle defence all by himself, time and time again? It's doing my head in and reinforces my belief that he makes a bad, bad center forward. He lacks completely the intelligence to play in that position. He'd be much more useful attacking from the wings.

Suso and Sterling have been very good, but with few end-product, which is a concern. They aren't ready to play week in week out, but then again, we don't really have a choice, have we?

As for Newcastle, credit to them, the play like a top-six team: they score when presented with an opportunity and will no doubt win this match today, bar a f*cking miracle... :-(

Upstate_Chad

TIA Youth Team
Allen has been really poor. Either he is tired or unsure of his deployment on the pitch. Some of his passes today have been Enrique-esque (not a good thing). Speaking of our LB, this current setup NEEDS players like Glen Johnson to be effective in the attacking third. I count 4 times in the first half where Enrique had space to create a pass or shot on his right and all he did was muck it up.

I like Wisdom as well, but his skills going forward are suspect.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
It's horrible being a Liverpool fan.

We absolutely kick the shit out of Newcastle for 40mins and then concede a worldie.

It would be better if we were gash. I'm so fucked off.

I hope the players don't panic/start playing to the crowd. The need to put it out of their minds and just pick up from the first half. We had Newcastle exactly where we wanted them.

Gears

TIA Regular
I'm all for Suso and Sterling's development but them playing week in week out is indicative of our weak squad.

They are tremedous talents with massive futures but being an established part of our attacking unit so early in their careers is madness. Both should be piloted in over the next two years. We need some need blood regardless of how this match plays out
Sterling has been anonymous this game, while suso was lively. The way we play, it's impossible to involve both flanks equally.

Red Sioux

TIA Youth Team
10 games now. Things don't look like improving. My fear has become a reality. We're a mid table team if not relegation.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member

We absolutely kick the shit out of Newcastle for 40mins and then concede a worldie.

I hope the players don't panic/start playing to the crowd. The need to put it out of their minds and just pick up from the first half. We had Newcastle exactly where we wanted them.
hang in there buddy, we will have our days back. If we arent there for the team when we loose, we dont have the right to be there when we win.

craigbellamy

Swinging away, hoping to land one on a motd idiot
Possible subs should be Shelvy for Sahin and Hendo for Allen.

I see another draw at the most and usually i'm upbeat...........

Off_The_Heezay

TIA Youth Team
Better team so far, unfortunate to be behind to a great finish. The front 3 look sharp, and Sahin is popping up in good places. We need more men in the box though. Worst I've seen Allen play in a Liverpool shirt. Would think about Hendo for Allen.

steveee

TIA Reserve Team
I don't really blame him but sometimes I think Suarez is trying to do way to much right now... I know he is our best player but sometimes he needs to look for the pass more and we will start to score. He also should let Sahin or Suso take that freek kick when they have much greater chance with their left. It feels like every time Suarez has the ball near goal everyone else stops playing because they expect him to go for goal and don't expect him to ever pass it.. I wonder if we do bring in a good striker if Suarez will pass it to him?

AnfieldCat

TIA Squad Member
I'm starting to get that negative ominous feeling before matches all the time now, we can have all the possession in the world but we rarely do fuck all with it! Makes Gerrards Everton comments all the more pathetic!

charleslee89

TIA New Signing
Despite dominating and battering teams, we'll get embroiled in a relegation dogfight this season... how weird is this?

The ten first minutes, we looked like world-beaters. But a match lasts 90 minutes, not ten.

Suarez is exasperating when he plays like today. Does he really think he will get a goal by trying to dribble the whole Newcastle defence all by himself, time and time again? It's doing my head in and reinforces my belief that he makes a bad, bad center forward. He lacks completely the intelligence to play in that position. He'd be much more useful attacking from the wings.

Suso and Sterling have been very good, but with few end-product, which is a concern. They aren't ready to play week in week out, but then again, we don't really have a choice, have we?

As for Newcastle, credit to them, the play like a top-six team: they score when presented with an opportunity and will no doubt win this match today, bar a f*cking miracle... :-(
he didn't had the choice but to dribble the entire defence when there is practically no one in the box...all i saw was a sea of black and white....

Colin

TIA First Team
Sterling has been anonymous this game, while suso was lively. The way we play, it's impossible to involve both flanks equally.
Players in those positions, in a top side, will be capable of scoring their lion's share of goals.

Suso and Sterling haven't developed that just yet. Us having no more senior players to play ahead of them and contribute like they should and also to mentor those boys just shows how mcuh a joke we've been in the transfer market the past 2 years.

Hope in your heart

Admin

No mate, you have an opposing team where you want it when your goal-chances are heaping, have many attempts on goal and the goal seems only a matter of time. That's absolutely not our case. We look good on the eye, but produce next to nothing in clear-cut chances. We are toothless.

Mascot88

Admin
I still think that's a cast iron penalty by the way.

RedStefarus

TIA Youth Team

I agree about Suarez from the wings but look how Sterling, Suso and Gerrard runs when Suarez moves the ball; they dont, possibly straight forward. No changing directions, no going for the first post. If lucky they run into the box.

Mascot88

Admin
No mate, you have an opposing team where you want it when your goal-chances are heaping, have many attempts on goal and the goal seems only a matter of time. That's absolutely not our case. We look good on the eye, but produce next to nothing in clear-cut chances. We are toothless.
Oh come on hope. For 40mins there is only one side in this.

Newcastle get one chance and score it. We know that's our problem and we know its going to haunt us til January, but lets not pretend we've been shit because we haven't.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Need to make changes second half, Geordies are gonna sit deep and be really hard to penetrate, think we need to prepare for more frustration, i'd take a draw now. I would be bold and withdraw Suso, Allen and Sahin and bring Assaidi, Shelvey and Henderson on, move Sterling to the right.

...........Shelvey....Henderson......
Sterling....... Gerrard........Assaidi
....................Suarez.........

AnfieldCat

TIA Squad Member
Well, roll back the years, its a game where we usually do well! ANd i am not lying! :D
This is usually a game we do well in!

OhYaBeauty

Need to make changes second half, Geordies are gonna sit deep and be really hard to penetrate, think we need to prepare for more frustration, i'd take a draw now. I would be bold and withdraw Suso, Allen and Sahin and bring Assaidi, Shelvey and Henderson on, move Sterling to the right.

...........Shelvey....Henderson......
Sterling....... Gerrard........Assaidi
....................Suarez.........
Swap Gerrard and Shelvey. It has been a while since Gerrard was an incisive attacking midfielder. Shelvey on the other hand causes big problems for the defense and shouldn't be put as a CM.

Hope in your heart

Admin
Oh, terrible defending from Jones on that goal btw.

Hopefully we can improve our game in the second half and get a bit lucky for a change. But luck comes only to those who deserve it for trying.

rab

I don't really blame him but sometimes I think Suarez is trying to do way to much right now... I know he is our best player but sometimes he needs to look for the pass more and we will start to score. He also should let Sahin or Suso take that freek kick when they have much greater chance with their left. It feels like every time Suarez has the ball near goal everyone else stops playing because they expect him to go for goal and don't expect him to ever pass it.. I wonder if we do bring in a good striker if Suarez will pass it to him?
this is why he needs to start in one of the wider roles with an out and out striker type in the middle. Too often he comes wide and leaves no one in the middle so tries to do it all himself. It's not his fault he's just naturally drawn to do it. Take a look at how many players Newcastle had in the box when Ben Arfa went past Enrique for the goal and then take a look at who's in the box for us next time Suarez goes past a man in a wider area. Thats why we aren't scoring enough goals.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
How did we "batter" them exactly? We had maybe 15 mins of high tempo possession that led to nothing not even a decent chance. They started to get a grip and scored and could have had a second. Enrique has got into good positions to cross only to have to cut back because we have nobody in the box. For the goal they had 5 players in the box.

Mascot88

Admin
The pundits seem to think not because the ball accidentally spills up into the Colocinis chest, marginally before he takes out Suarez ankle.

I don't understand this.

Status
Not open for further replies.