• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

PRE-MATCH: Liverpool v PSG UCL Group Stage matchday 1 Tuesday 18/9/18: 8pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

redaderry

I really don't know much about PSG other than they're a top team in a weaker league than the EPL and they're filled with expensiive stars with massive over-inflated heads because the media like to over-hype them.
I'm expecting Klopp to have this sorted and for the Redmen to batter them across Anfield tomorrow night.
Neymar to whine on the ground like a spoiled prick within 5 mins.
3 - 1 to the Redmen.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
I've never been pitchside before for a match - and usually go for higher up seats because I want to be able to see what's actually going on - however these were the best left - we missed our tickets for Roma (H) last year (made all other H CL games), knocking us back in terms of when we could purchase our tickets - it was either these or right up in the corner of the KD stand by the Anni Road end.

All that said, I'd rather be there pitchside soaking up the atmosphere, than having to watch at home - plus it keeps the record on our memberships going for CL.

Re. Google Translate - yes good idea.
Def rather be at the game - I’ll be at my local.

You’ll notice the pitch slopes down - and your eye level is waist high - so can’t make out what is going on.... but your job is to aggregate the PSG players...

Should be hot atmosphere. Loads of mates going, sadly I’m tied up!

Redopium

I really don't know much about PSG other than they're a top team in a weaker league than the EPL and they're filled with expensiive stars with massive over-inflated heads because the media like to over-hype them.
I'm expecting Klopp to have this sorted and for the Redmen to batter them across Anfield tomorrow night.
Neymar to whine on the ground like a spoiled prick within 5 mins.
3 - 1 to the Redmen.
You forgot their best player is a turf magnet.lol

richieh10

What's all this now?
Usually at champions league games they don’t sell alcohol in the stadium... sure I read an article in the summer that said the rule had been relaxed.

Just querying if anybody knows for sure (before I go through the gate) to find that coffee is the strongest thing their selling in the ground.

If they still aren’t selling pints in the stadium I’ll grab a few outside

SBYM

La presión es para neumáticos
Ad-free Member
Usually at champions league games they don’t sell alcohol in the stadium... sure I read an article in the summer that said the rule had been relaxed.

Just querying if anybody knows for sure (before I go through the gate) to find that coffee is the strongest thing their selling in the ground.

Ah...of course...

The whole Enjoy Responsibly thing yeah??

RedYank

If you can figure out what this means...you either can in Germany, and can't at Anfield?

Alcohol will be sold at Champions League games from the start of next season as UEFA lifted their booze ban.
European football's executive committee amended its regulation to allow the distribution of alcohol in UEFA competitions.

This means national and local laws will now prevail - so booze will be sold in countries that permit alcohol in the stands, such as Germany, but not in those that do not, such as England.
The amended article 36 of UEFA's Safety and Security Regulations reads: “The match organiser may only sell or distribute alcohol within the stadium or its private environs if and within the limits permitted under the national and local law as applicable from time to time.“

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/alcohol-sold-champions-league-games-12794370

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
This means national and local laws will now prevail - so booze will be sold in countries that permit alcohol in the stands, such as Germany, but not in those that do not, such as England.
In the UK ale is bought and consumed on the concourse, not in the stands. The Mirror could really have done with clarifying this.

As for @richieh10, just have a bevy before you go in would be my advice.

jaffod

Don't really like pitch side tickets - you can't really make out what is going on. Listen out for a massive cheer and the ref pointing to centre circle, that means we've scored.

Use Google translate for any obesities for Neymar. Will keep an eye out for you. Will you be wearing a red shirt?
"You fat cunt Neymar" will see a few perplexed looks....

Lynch04

Smeg Head
Think Henderson will come into the starting11 but i'm not sure about other changes and Fabinho.

Think we will absolutely destroy them in one of the two legs and at least one of our players will make Neymar his b***h. If Neymar still plays on the left wing under Tuchel it will be TAA who has the pleasure.
I agree in that i think Henderson will start. I think it will be Milly, Hendo, Wini but i think it should be Naby instead of Wini. Thats no negative on Wini, i just think this game is made for Naby.
I know it is very early in the season but i think this game is massive for us, Like Man city beating us last season a win tomorrow would (should) be a huge confidence boost!

Lynch04

Smeg Head
In the UK ale is bought and consumed on the concourse, not in the stands. The Mirror could really have done with clarifying this.

As for @richieh10, just have a bevy before you go in would be my advice.
I agree with your interpretation. Basically you can drink alcohol back of house but not bring it match side. By the way i hate carlsberg and am a big fan of the San miguel can option (although i may have got this mixed up with peroni)

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
We really need to start rotating over the next couple games or the build up of fatigue could have much bigger long-term consequences for our season.

For me, mass rotation (but I don't see it happening):
Sturridge for Bobby for this game. With probably Shaqiri in for Salah in the Southampton game.

Fabinho for Milner and Henderson for Wijnaldum vs PSG. And then resting Keita vs Southampton.

Clyne for TAA and Matip for Gomez vs Southampton.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
The difference between these two teams, is we have a solid team who play very well together. PSG are a bit more about individuals who can turn a game around on their own.

I would be worried about Cavani, except that he will have Big Virg staring him down.

I can't see Milner NOT being on the pitchfor this, and I think he will be paired up with Henderson and Keita.

Bobby will get the night off, methinks. Tough to know who will fill that spot, I be thinking Sturridge will be given the nod with instructions to run himself out and expect a change when he gets leggy. I can only imagine the eruption of Anfield when he scores our first CL goal of the season

Becker
TAA Gomez Virg Robbo
Keita Henderson Milner
Salah Sturridge Mane

Subs Migs Moreno Matip Lallana Fabinho Shaq Solanke

Think this pool is too deep for Solanke to start

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
I've not seen PSG play too often except in the Champions League.

But Thiago Silva is getting older, Their defense might prove to be slightly susceptible. Bring on Anfield and Salah/Mane on the wings , I think we've got a chance to sting them on the counterpress. This probably means that our midfielders have a lot of work to do.

This is how i'll start the game.
Allison
TAA Gomez VVD Robertson
Milner Fabinho Keita
Salah Sturridge Mane

Subs : Mignolet Clyne Moreno Matip Firmino Gini Shaqiri

Really need to start rotating players from now on. Fabinho comes on cause he's more experienced playing PSG regularly , unfair on Gini to take a break for this one though. Sturridge as a replacement for Firmino. Shaqiri comes on for one of Salah and Mane if they aren't upto form. later in the game.

I'd look at playing 2#8's in Milner and Keita initially and later getting in Gini for Milner and play 2 #6's as a double pivot if we do get a handy lead and stifle them in the midfield.

PSG do have the players to win ; especially on the attacking front. But do they have it in them to play as a team ?

Last edited:

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Lassana Diarra is out with injury (not confirmed i think) and Marco Verratti is suspended. Rabiot is their only 'senior' CM/CDM and it Looks like Marquinhos will start in DM.

Since the Qataris took over in 2011 they bought players for over 1 billion ₤ - looking this short of options in midfield has to be the biggest joke ever.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
Lassana Diarra is out with injury (not confirmed i think) and Marco Verratti is suspended. Rabiot is their only 'senior' CM/CDM and it Looks like Marquinhos will start in DM.

Since the Qataris took over in 2011 they bought players for over 1 billion ₤ - looking this short of options in midfield has to be the biggest joke ever.
That's what happens if you buy names instead of trying to fit in your team to make the best XI.

Remember the galacticos experiment where Perez sold Makalele cause he deemed that a defensive midfielder was of absolutely no value at all ?

Marquinhos in DM would leave a pretty big gap in the defensive side of things. Not to mention the fact that he's essentially not a midfielder. I'd imagine Angel Di Maria being played as a 8 and Neymar, Mbappe on the wings and Cavani as the #9, That's a 4-2-3-1 formation . They are there for the taking , despite the very formidable attack. Their bench is non existent.

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
Maybe some of our Premier Rivals could learn a thing or two from our European opponent...

PSG pay respects at Hillsborough memorial

What does that class-ie Mourinho has got to say about this?
It is much appreciated , but Sh Al-Khalifa could have have put his hands together and done a little dua (prayer), as is usually done in the muslim way at memorials. Just saying.

Noo Noo

Back 4 picks itself right now, as does the front 3. I hope Firmino is ok.

Midfield is where it gets interesting. I do wonder by not playing Henderson at the weekend whether Klopp is aware of the difficulty in blending Wijnaldum and Henderson together. I suspect its more about keeping Henderson for this evening but I'm interested to see if not playing the two together develops.

We're really going to have to work hard this evening to stop PSG.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I hope Firmino makes it, but if he doesn’t I don’t think the alternative is to play Sturridge. For me, he is a last 30mins option.

I would play Salah through the middle and put Shaqiri on the right.

A could of changes in Midfield. I would play Fabinho in this, as that PSG attack could do with having a true DM sitting on them.

Alisson
Trent Gomez Van Dijk Robertson
Fabinho
Henderson Keita
Salah Firmino Mane​

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
No way Fabinho starts this, maybe against Saints he will get minutes. If Firmino is out then Shaqiri comes in with Salah more central. Only big query is which 3 from Milner, Keita, Gini and Hendo.
I think Hendo missing out.
Stupid to think they are just a collection of superstars without or team ethic. They should be considered among the competition favourites.
Personally I think a win here is a massive statement, and lays down markers.
A draw isn't the end of the world. 7 points from 9 at home and a bit of luck travelling puts us through.
Hopefullywe win obviously

richieh10

Shaq comes in for Bobby if unfit.

Fab comes on about 70 mins to help protect the 3-1 lead

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
We really need to start rotating over the next couple games or the build up of fatigue could have much bigger long-term consequences for our season.

For me, mass rotation (but I don't see it happening):
Sturridge for Bobby for this game. With probably Shaqiri in for Salah in the Southampton game.

Fabinho for Milner and Henderson for Wijnaldum vs PSG. And then resting Keita vs Southampton.

Clyne for TAA and Matip for Gomez vs Southampton.
I'll concede I also said this before the Spurs game, but this is the sort of game that could/would lay down a marker for our entire season. To draw blood against this PSG team would be a tremendous boost. We need to play our strongest team possible.

The one thing I never doubt with this LFC team is that they live for these big matches at Anfield and I don't think I've seen a team faze them, so they'll be up for it. I just hope we can bring them 'down' to our level as Klopp would say.

Retro Helix

"This game has all the makings of a potential banana skin! :rolleyes: (well someone had to say it)
If PSG is a banana skin then it will be Neymar who's going to be slipping on it and eating the Anfield turf.....just make sure he spits it back out coz they not leaving with ANYTHING!!! #YNWA

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
We're going to need to take our chances in this one. They won't roll over like Spurs. We WILL get a few chances, we always do. If Bobby is out then we'll need Salah to be sharp.

Trent and Gomez looked a bit shakier vs Spurs, hopefully we can see the solid as a fuck version we've came to expect to see.

Winning this will be a huuuuuge statement, will put us in a great position to take first place in our group. Considering how tough this next month or so is overall, winning this and the Spurs game would be terrific.

I'm nervous, but a good nervous, like going on a first date with a hottie, the anticipation is there.

Status
Not open for further replies.