PRE Match: Liverpool v Reading (PL: Sat, 20.10.12; 3pm)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Upstate_Chad

TIA Youth Team
Welcome back from the international break. We have one more day of matches before we can fully assess who is fit and who is not.

Considering all of the injuries and inexperience in the squad, I fully expect that some of our elder statesmen will get minutes in this match.

Two players that I see fighting for match time while Borini is out are Cole and Downing. Not sure I prefer one or the either, but I do expect that Rodgers is going to attempt to give them a chance. This has 2 positive potential outcomes:
1.) Cole and/or Downing find the form that led to their contracts at LFC, which could lead to goals and victories.
2.) Their improved form leads to other squads considering their signatures in the transfer window.

Personally, I would prefer that Sterling and Assaidi get selected over Cole and Downing, but I also see merit to slowly bringing him along.

Barring any further injury, and expecting that Shelvey is back from suspension:

---------------Reina
Johnson--Skrtel--Agger--Robinson
---------Gerrard----Allen
---------------Shelvey
Sterling-----Suarez-----Cole

Assaidi, Suso and Enrique to come on if needed.

Edit: Switched Suso for Henderson.

No Suso or is he injured?

Personally I think this is a game in which Shelvey is likely to excel but Sahin has been in top form too so it will be a hard to pick our midfield three. If anything I think it is Gerrard who deserves to be dropped but there is no chance of that happening so I will go with the following line-up:

Reina​
Wisdom Skrtel Agger Johnson​
Gerrard Allen Sahin​
Suso Suarez Sterling​

Bring on Assaidi and Shelvey as impact subs in the 2nd half if we are having trouble breaking them down and they can both start against Anzhi midweek.

norwegian Suarez

TIA Youth Team
This match is a MUST win.

All reds out there stand behind the team and make a fantastic atmosphere at Anfield yet again. We really need three points to kickstart our season.

Reina
Wisdom Skrtel Agger Johnson
Gerrard Allen Sahin
Suso Suarez Sterling

This starting XI is our best at the moment, with Jonjo as number twelve....

MarkMcC

TIA Squad Member
Well its my first home game of the season so looking forward to it. 3 points definitely a necessity so hoping for similar approach to Norwich with a fired up Suarez and attacking intent. Be good for Shelvey to build on recent positive cameo with national squad but midfield looks good at moment with Sahin/Gerrard in position for those spots would expect Shelvey to fill. There has been suggestion of him playing the false 9 role but that just doesn't sit well with me. Might keep him grounded that he isn't able to walk back into squad following his ending off. Don't want to lose his combative edge but likewise this rashness has to be tempered with recognition it will not only cost him a spell on the sidelines but also a place in the team.

Have to agree with above squad

Anfield rd Dreamer

Dont expect too many changes in all fairness from the squad that dominated Norwich but was sloppy in defence and then dominated Stoke with a sollidified defence but too impatient in attack.

Not really sure anybody deserves to be dropped, despite his critics Gerrard is still getting plenty of goals and assists and thats what wins games.

Reina
Wisdom, Skrtel, Agger, Johnson
Allen, Sahin
Gerrard
Suso, Suarez, Sterling

Subs bench; Jones, Robinson, Carragher, Henderson, Shelvey, Assaidi/Cole, Yesil

But Im always wrong haha.

jim82

TIA New Signing

All reds out there stand behind the team and make a fantastic atmosphere at Anfield yet again. We really need three points to kickstart our season.

Reina
Gerrard Allen Sahin
Suso Suarez Sterling

I'd put Shelvey in instead of Suso, and move Gerrard forward. Would be happy with that line-up.

Interesting to see Cole being mentioned to start. Would be great if he could find form.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies

Reina
Gerrard Allen Sahin
Suso Suarez Sterling

Agreed. Can't see the team being anything other than this, barring the almost inevitable international injuries. This is a game we not only have to win but we need to win convincingly with an emphatic scoreline. As for Cole and Downing, I'd rather see the likes of Yesil and Morgan given some game time once we are comfortably in front, he says confidently (famous last words....).

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
I reckon Shelvey will start in place of Suso, it's plain to see he's the golden boy for Brendan and he can score goals, certainly looked more of a danger than Suso

LFC7NH

I'll have to see who makes it through the second wave of international games before predicting a lineup. Pray no one gets hurt...

costared

TIA Reserve Team
O.K. now for something a little different. The "strongest" line ups we have seen so far have also been the line ups that have failed to produce goals.

Reina
Johnson Skrtle Agger Robinson

Allen
Sahin Shelvey

Suarez Gerrad Sterling.

Wisdom could go in at RB and switch Johnson to LB, would not make much difference
Gerrad and Sahin to keep swopping roles so defenders are never sure who they are up against.
This would make us less predictable and leave us with a strong bench ,good cover in all positions.

Reactions: TFC

kylel39

Never bite the hand that feed's you.......Luis
Good to see we've got some selection problems ahead of the match - been a while since we've had that.

I can't see much change from the team that played Stoke to be honest.

There's certainly scope for change with Shelvey back and Assaidi gaining fitness/form. Assaidi apparently had an excellent game last week for the National team, albeit against Mozambique where they won 4-0. They would be the only two I would seriously consider starting. But I can see Suso and Sterling keeping there staring berth unless there's any hick-ups during the internationals etc.

I don't want to see Cole or Downing staring ahead of any of the above and I don't think we will - so no issues there.

Reina

Gerrard Allen Sahin

Suso Suarez Sterling

SUBS: Jones, Assaidi, Shelvey, Carragher, Yesil, Henderson, Downing

I would be very tempted to start Shelvey though as he can and does get goals from that midfield position. But that said who do you drop? And it would be hard to drop say Sahin who has grabbed goals from that position. The only other option you would have would be Gerrard playing a WF role and dropping Suso (probably) to accommodate Shelvey.

Matt

Poor Scouser Tommy
Admin
I will be absolutely amazed if Joe Cole starts this (or any other League game).

Reina
Widsom Skrtel Agger Johnson
Gerrard Allen Shelvey
Sahin
Suarez Sterling

Is what I'd play.

JackleCube

These pre-match threads seem to pop up earlier and earlier every week.

I'm not too bothered about what team plays, Reading are poor (not that we should underestimate them) but anything less than 3 points would be very disappointing.

Maybe this game given Reading's leaky defence, is a good chance to get some goals for those players who clearly need one to get a bit of confidence; shame Borini is out, this would've been a good opportunity for him, but maybe Yesil or Morgan should get a chance in this game; hopefully in a scenario where we're comfortably up at half-time and can bring one of them on for the second-half to hopefully get off the mark.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I think this is our best team

----------------Reina------------------
Johnson Skrtel Agger Robinson
-------------Allen Gerrard-----------
-----------------Sahin-----------------
-------Suso---Suarez---Sterling--

Jones, Carragher, Coates, Wisdom, Shelvey, Assaidi, Cole.

Shelvey would not start, as I can't really place him ahead of Sahin, Gerrard, or Allen in that three man midfield.

There is an argument for playing Wisdom, as he has done well at right back. But Reading are not especially physical, and I'd like to see more of Robinson, and Johnson on his best side.

After his response to the Rodgers criticism I think Downing is finished. Would be surprised to see him outside lesser Europa ties and the league cup.

I suspect we'll either have a frustrating goalless draw, or we'll absolutely batter them senseless

I think Robinson left the England U21 squad early because he was sick. Not sure if he will be fit to play.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
----------------Reina-----------------
Wisdom-Skrtel-Agger-Robinson
-----------Shelvey-Sahin-----------
-Gerrard-------------------Sterling-
-----------Borini---Suarez----------

Four Four Fucking Two. I Mean why not?

Not gonna happen you say, well ok. Can't cope with the mighty reading's midfield with only two man in the center, alright then, move stevie into the center behind suarez and pull borini back to the left wing.

OhYaBeauty

Four Four Fucking Two. I Mean why not?
Because we only have one striker. Oh and that whole bit about Borini being out until January-ish.

What I hope to see:
Reina​
[sub]Johnson[/sub] Skrtel Agger [sub]Robinson[/sub]
Allen​
Sahin Shelvey​
Suarez Gerrard [sup]Sterling[/sup]

What we will see:

Reina​
[sub]Wisdom[/sub] Skrtel Agger [sub]Johnson[/sub]
Allen Sahin​
Gerrard​
[sup]Suso [/sup]Suarez [sup]Sterling[/sup]

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Careful with our prediction on the line-up. Opposing manager might be reading this and we might find ourselves leaking the most vital info that cost the team games.... :lol:

In all seriousness, I think the players picked itself unless there are some injuries in the international break. I sure hope not, but I can't see Suarez playing all 90mins if he is at South America playing for his country and flying back late. I also hope Enrique has enough rest and now back on his feet playing football, so we can use Johnson at the right place. But I can see us starting with this line up.......
Reina
Allen
Gerrard Sahin
Suso Suarez Sterling​
Again!!

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Intrigued that none of you are putting Shelvey in the first team...
Simple really. Rodgers looked at Shelvey as a player who takes over Sahin or Gerrard's spot. He tends to play the players at the position they are best suited. Unless we are truly short in that position, he would not convert someone out of their favoured position (or unless you are Downing).

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Simple really. Rodgers looked at Shelvey as a player who takes over Sahin or Gerrard's spot. He tends to play the players at the position they are best suited. Unless we are truly short in that position, he would not convert someone out of their favoured position (or unless you are Downing).
He's been the biggest midfield goal threat so far this season for me, I know Sahin got a couple of goals against WBA but that's the only time he's looked like scoring really. I'd Gerrard through the middle of a front three and Shelvey in the actual midfield.

He's been the biggest midfield goal threat so far this season for me, I know Sahin got a couple of goals against WBA but that's the only time he's looked like scoring really. I'd Gerrard through the middle of a front three and Shelvey in the actual midfield.
Norwich?

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Assaidi - [sup]Yesil[/sup] - [sub]Gerrard[/sub]

[sup]Sahin[/sup] - Allen
Henderson

[sup]Robinson[/sup] - - Agger - Coates - - [sup]Johnson[/sup]
[sub]Reina[/sub]

Bench: Jones, Wisdom, Skrtel, Suso, Sterling, Shelvey, Suárez

Bit controversial, this one. Also very unlikely, but what I'd go with. lol

I agree with the point Arminius was making elsewhere that Luis may very well be shattered after playing in La Paz at altitude and then returning across the Atlantic. Borini's injury couldn't have come at a worse time, but the Offal has been hyping Yesil lately. I would start him and move Gerrard as far forward as possible, with Assaidi to shatter ankles on the left. For me, Coates has done more to deserve a first-team spot than Skrtel; Robinson is a bit questionable, apparently, but if he's fit I think he's our first-choice left-back at the moment. Sahin/Allen supporting the front trio with Henderson/Allen taking it in turns to cover for the other going forward is very tasty.

All things considered, good options from the bench as well. Confident of a win.

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
Those different size fonts remind me of fourfourtwo app when looking at player influence, lol.

REDSkins

TIA Youth Team
It's like those word clouds, right? :-)

Looks like Gerrard & Johnson will be starting against Poland. I really hope Enrique is fit and we can give Glen a rest. With Gerrard I think we should keep him on the bench and only bring him on if we need a late goal on Saturday. I think it'll also force the others to bring their 'A' game.

This is an interesting match given the history between Reading and Brendan Rodgers. BR will hopefully have an ace up his sleeve. That plus the int'l games makes for an unpredictable lineup.

I can't lie and pretend I've watched more than a handful of Reading's games, but they seem like they'd come to Anfield and try to play football rather than parking the bus. They certainly tried to at Stamford Bridge from what I remember.

So we should be able to get some good chances. No expert on them, like i said, but Noel Hunt + Pogrebnyak might be a starting combo for them because Hunt is an energetic player who can try to really pressure our CBs in possession. Anyone have any further insights on Reading this season?

Broomy

TIA's Redkopi
Don't you just love International breaks! According to my twitter feed, Reina, Wisdom, Robinson & Borini have all picked up knocks on International duty.... Reina apparently strained a muscle in the Half Time warm up tonight..

Anfield rd Dreamer

Don't you just love International breaks! According to my twitter feed, Reina, Wisdom, Robinson & Borini have all picked up knocks on International duty.... Reina apparently strained a muscle in the Half Time warm up tonight..
Shocking. If Reina is out I imagine Jones will get the nod and sure he has just been on duty too cant imagine he is too rested either.

Wouldnt be surprised if Robinson and Wisdom are out if we actually see a debut for McLaughlin.

HeighwaytoHull

Banned Users
@soziookonomische

I'm on a bit of a Yesil kick so I kind of hope you're right. Might as well see what he can do. If he really is the next Gerd Muller, he should be capable of a performance against Reading, however small he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.