• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

PRE Match: Liverpool v Reading (PL: Sat, 20.10.12; 3pm)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TFC

TIA Squad Member
Shocking. If Reina is out I imagine Jones will get the nod and sure he has just been on duty too cant imagine he is too rested either.

Wouldnt be surprised if Robinson and Wisdom are out if we actually see a debut for McLaughlin.
I hope we'll play Enrique if its true. If Rodgers has decided that he will be sold we might as well play him some to maintain some sort of transfer value in January.

Matt

Poor Scouser Tommy
Admin
Don't you just love International breaks! According to my twitter feed, Reina, Wisdom, Robinson & Borini have all picked up knocks on International duty.... Reina apparently strained a muscle in the Half Time warm up tonight..
Not to mention Suarez played in Bolivia, at 12,000 feet altitude.

Gerrard, Johnson and Shelvey all with England whose game is moved to tomorrow.

Wisdom should be okay for Saturday though.

OhYaBeauty

Yesil should definitely get a chance. He doesn't stop scoring for Germany, so why not try him?

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
Not to mention Suarez played in Bolivia, at 12,000 feet altitude.

Gerrard, Johnson and Shelvey all with England whose game is moved to tomorrow.

Wisdom should be okay for Saturday though.

So do we rest Suarez? We can't really afford to not start him. We even have to play him the full 90 minutes if we aren't at least 2 goals ahead in the last 15 minutes. But not giving a bit of a rest will increase the chances he gets injured. So really there is not right answer is there? Rodger's rests Suarez and we lose then everyone will be pissed at him, Luis starts we still don't get the 3 points plus he gets injured then we are all screwed!

Same goes for Johnson.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
How i dislike international footy nowadays!

Maybe with Borini out we'll see more of Yesil? The lad seems to know where the back of the net is and he appears a bit more advanced than Morgan.

Hopefully we will win this one, if we don't then i'm getting very drunk for the rest of the weekend to escape the misery and pain.That's my cunning plan to cope with our continual dissappointing results.

OhYaBeauty

B.c playing in a U21 game and an EPL game is the same thing, right? :blink:
It isn't one U21 game, though. He's scored 30 in 31. That's talent any way you look at it, and given we desperately need a goalscorer and we're short of senior forwards, he should get a game. No, its not the same thing, but its Reading so its pretty damn close.

Don't think I ever suggested it was the same thing

Edit: He's got 32 in 33

OhYaBeauty

oh, then yesil perhaps, or pacheco or morgan or sinclair or n'goo. Anyways I still think 4-4-2 is the way to go home against reading.
That's fine. Still doesn't change the fact that it will never happen under Rodgers.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Just a warning. If we some how fail to get three points in this game I am going to have to go into hiding to avoid Rich an Eddie so everybody will have to do without my optimistic rants. Some of you are probably quite liking the idea of a draw now arent you? Haha

OhYaBeauty

Thats a pity then.
I think after a while, your reaction to that will change. The 4-3-3 is a very attacking formation if used the way we use it (wingers work as wide forwards). Contrast that to the 4-5-1 that other clubs play and is called a 4-3-3. With a proper striker it should be an exciting system, although I'll admit that I'm a bit bored by Rodgers' and Barca's addiction to passing it around forever.

The 4-4-2 is fun and exciting and scores a lot of goals but its the past. You lose too much through midfield to play at a high level, which means you either need a ridiculously amazing defense or godly central midfielders or be able to score 3-4 goals a game. Probably all three.

1dragon

TIA Regular
Given the injuries that we are aware of and keeping in mind about the match against Anzhi...

Jones​
Johnson-Skrtel-Agger-Enrique​
Allen​
Sahin-Gerrard​
Sterling-Yesil-Suarez​

Subs: Shelvey for Sahin, Assaidi for Yesil. Suso for Sterling/Suarez

With all due respect to Reading, Anzhi on paper is just simply much better and that is why Suso is conserved for that game, as is one of Sahin or Gerrard. Robinson might even be needed in preference to Enrique.

No predictions for me, entirely depends on how exhausted some of our players are.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
I think after a while, your reaction to that will change. The 4-3-3 is a very attacking formation if used the way we use it (wingers work as wide forwards). Contrast that to the 4-5-1 that other clubs play and is called a 4-3-3. With a proper striker it should be an exciting system, although I'll admit that I'm a bit bored by Rodgers' and Barca's addiction to passing it around forever.

The 4-4-2 is fun and exciting and scores a lot of goals but its the past. You lose too much through midfield to play at a high level, which means you either need a ridiculously amazing defense or godly central midfielders or be able to score 3-4 goals a game. Probably all three.
I'm not advocating that we should only play 4-4-2, just against the likes of reading at home, or as a plan b in games we struggling to score.

And all that about formation, they all basicly the same when operating with a lone striker. Most of the times we see the constant passing which push the opponent further and further down and basicly have them park the bus, and we wonder why it's so hard to score, it's been the same with these lone striker formations for quite a while now.

Two striker's, and more important two cm's will open up the opponent since they will get a feeling of actually being in the game, and then it's up to us to hit them on the break, we never see that with a crowded midfield, well not often enough, we often see it happen against us tho.
Ever wondered why we draw so much, or how our home record is getting worse and worse.

It can be a great formation tho which we saw against norwich, and against the stronger sides it's almost a must, But sometimes it's good to play a 4-4-2, a great plan B aswell but not if the team is not used to play it. We gotten too predictible, we need to shake it up now and then, and a 4-4-2 for this game would be a great idea. That just how I feel.

OhYaBeauty

I'm not advocating that we should only play 4-4-2, just against the likes of reading at home, or as a plan b in games we struggling to score.

And all that about formation, they all basicly the same when operating with a lone striker. Most of the times we see the constant passing which push the opponent further and further down and basicly have them park the bus, and we wonder why it's so hard to score, it's been the same with these lone striker formations for quite a while now.

Two striker's, and more important two cm's will open up the opponent since they will get a feeling of actually being in the game, and then it's up to us to hit them on the break, we never see that with a crowded midfield, well not often enough, we often see it happen against us tho.
Ever wondered why we draw so much, or how our home record is getting worse and worse.

It can be a great formation tho which we saw against norwich, and against the stronger sides it's almost a must, But sometimes it's good to play a 4-4-2, a great plan B aswell but not if the team is not used to play it. We gotten too predictible, we need to shake it up now and then, and a 4-4-2 for this game would be a great idea. That just how I feel.
Agree with some of what you said, disagree with other parts, but it doesn't really matter anyways. Rodgers has a huge crush on that 4-3-3

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
We should not take this game for granted. Reading have been playing some good football in recent weeks. While they are at the wrong end of the table, that is not a reflection of their performances (much like ourselves).

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
Agree with some of what you said, disagree with other parts, but it doesn't really matter anyways. Rodgers has a huge crush on that 4-3-3
Sure you right, It was more of a wishful thinking post I guess. Then again until we are good enough to win the title isn't everything just that.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
We should not take this game for granted. Reading have been playing some good football in recent weeks. While they are at the wrong end of the table, that is not a reflection of their performances (much like ourselves).
Agreed - they have learned some tough lessons since the season started. They were unlucky not to win v. Newcastle, probably deserved a draw at West Brom, and were on a draw at Stamford Bridge until the 81st minute - having led until 69'. A grand total of about 15 minutes of concentration cost as much as 7 points. The only game I would say they were never in was Spurs. We should be able to beat them, but with our defensive struggles I expect they will score.

Also can't really play 4-4-2 with one senior forward in playing condition at the club....possibly none unless Suarez can bounce back from playing at 3500m and putting in more travel in 3 days than most players do in an entire PL season.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
How about Reading's international players?

Saw Gunter (Robson-Kanu and Church only came on in the second half) play and he had a tough night at right back so Sterling could be a good option to stick with on the left side. Mariappa for Jamaica, Gorkss for Latvia, I guess they both played? Don't know if Leigertwood played last night for Antigua & Barbuda? Little Karacan also got a first call from Turkey. Pogrebnyak hasn't played for Russia for a while now and is in and out the squad.

Gerrard (depends on how he does today, maybe he could do it) I think we could afford to rest if we have to and bring Shelvey in, but Suarez out and we might be in problems up there. Yesil looks like he will at least be on the bench, but I wonder if Pacheco, Morgan, Ngoo or some other player who has actually stayed and trained at Melwood all these days, giving Rodgers the chance to prepare them for the coming game, could be in for a start.

But it wouldn't surprise me if Gerrard did start and Suarez had enough in him to be on the bench.

funkynoise74

Given that he has played well in his recent international game, how about starting with Assaidi instead of Sterling? I'm sure we all agree that Raheem is going to be a world class player in years to come, but I think that Rodgers shouldn't play him in every league game.

I'd be tempted to play a front 3 of Assaidi, Gerrard and Suarez, with Allen, Sahin and Henderson in midfield. This way it might eliminate Gerrard attempting to play his all too familiar "hollywood" style passes, which allows the midfield to be more fluid in attack, and gives Gerrard more freedom to roam and play higher up the pitch.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
But it wouldn't surprise me if Gerrard did start and Suarez had enough in him to be on the bench.
I would expect Suarez at least on the bench, he is the kind of player who finds an extra bit of will to push himself unless he is actually hurt. I was rather impressed that he had the fight in him to score such a late goal in La Paz, most of Uruguay were half way to the airport by then. Shortening the game and bringing him on might be the best approach.

nimitzz

TIA Reserve Team
lets not take reading for granted.... specially after the international break! i just hope our best players are fit!

NZred

The Red From NZ
No confidence whatsoever that we will pick up anything other than a draw or loss from this match. Sorry, but I don't see any difference this season than from last. Which is worrying.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
No confidence whatsoever that we will pick up anything other than a draw or loss from this match. Sorry, but I don't see any difference this season than from last. Which is worrying.
That's cold.

This season we're playing some lovely football and consistently dominating opponents by dictating the play. Last season we were outplaying a team one week and being outplayed ourselves the next, but this time around a positive pattern has emerged; we've only been let down by individual defensive errors and, as always it seems, a lack of a quality striker. If we had the latter it would be a very different story for us in the Premiership and we'd have the results to reflect our general match dominance. We are still evolving as a team - the players required to make BR's playing philosophy really bear fruit are not yet in place. When they are I'm absolutely certain that we'll be a force to be reckoned with, so have a little patience bro and in the meantime just appreciate our passing game. :)

Btw, we're not doing too badly with a team squad that's been filleted by short-sighted owners.

AnfieldCat

TIA Squad Member
We've played some lovely stuff in the premiership and the Europa League and I can see improvements, its just so damn frustrating to not be able to score,it means I feel nervous for games I really shouldn't be feeling nervous for.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Hmm bib theory Sterling wearing same colours as Pacheco, Robinson, Wilson and Downing. Rested?

Suso, Assaidi and Wisdom wearing the other colour.

Shelvey, Sahin, Allen, Henderson and Skrtel all bibless in the photos I've seen.

Always great to follow @MostarLFC on Twitter!

Status
Not open for further replies.