• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

PRE Match: Liverpool v Reading (PL: Sat, 20.10.12; 3pm)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Yesil also in no bib. Carra an Enrique in same colour bibs as Suso, Assaidi and Wisdom.

I give up on "spot the team by bib" I cant see what team we are playing there haha.

Edit: best guess based on the bibs an the bibless:

Reina/Jones (BR said late decision)
Wisdom, Carra, Skrtel, Enrique
Henderson
Sahin, Allen
Suso, Yesil/Shelvey, Assaidi

Subs: Jones/Gulacsi, Robinson, Wilson, Pacheco, Downing, Sterling, Shelvey/Yesil.

Best guess? Different set of bibs tomorrow!

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
- Reina injured
- Wisdom injured
- Robinson injured
- Borini injured

- Gerrard and Johnson tired from playing on Wednesday and travelling on Thursday. Shelvey also back only today. Suarez also tired from endless travelling across the pond.

- All of this in one single international window... oh well...

- Add to this Lucas out and Kelly out.

- A very hard EL game against Anzhi coming up five days after this one as well, followed up by the derby only three days later...

Assaidi Suarez Sterling​

Sahin Allen Shelvey​

Agger Coates Skrtel Flanagan​

Jones​

Subs: Gulacsi, Carragher, Henderson, Gerrard, Suso, Pacheco, Yesil​

Not that I want to see this team, but it's probably something like this which we will see, with maybe a chance for Suso to feature instead of Assaidi, and Gerrard starting instead of Shelvey, but I think he must be put on the bench. That pitch in Warsaw was a beast of a tiring ground, and Uncle Roy chose of course to keep Gerrard on for the full 90 minutes. If we want a fit and efficient Gerrard for this season, we can't allow ourselves to run him in the ground, especially when others don't hesitate to do so... same for Johnson imo...​

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
Honestly, if Suarez doesn't play, I feel like we'll struggle to score a goal. I could see us being up 1-0 then getting caught on the break by someone like Macanuff and drawing 1-1

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
God more than anything I just want to go into a match thinking, we're gunna thump these guys. I've posted this before but I just miss that confidence we used to have, going against any club in the world and expecting a result.

Now I don't even feel that when we're going up against a newly promoted team like Reading.

REDSkins

TIA Youth Team
Do you guys think Suarez will be a starter in all 3 of the next games (as Hope said, 3 games in about 8 days including a flight to Russia)? Starting Yesil away to an in-form Anzhi or Everton seems a potentially harsh baptism.

Our "easiest" game on paper should be at home to Reading, so I would be inclined to have Suarez on the bench and give Yesil a start, with Luis (and possibly Stevie, who i'd not take to Dagestan) coming on after 60 if we need a goal.

That said, I think Suarez will start every one of these games. We are lucky, at least, that's he's a forward with an incredible engine but we have seen evidence of him not playing very well when he's a bit tired. At times, to me, a tired, frustrated Suarez is maybe even worse for the team than having no Suarez out there at all. Maybe.

Put Yesil out there with Assaidi/Sterling around him and Shelvey behind him and give them all license to take shots on goal and we should be able to beat Reading without Luis.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Do you guys think Suarez will be a starter in all 3 of the next games (as Hope said, 3 games in about 8 days including a flight to Russia)? Starting Yesil away to an in-form Anzhi or Everton seems a potentially harsh baptism.

Our "easiest" game on paper should be at home to Reading, so I would be inclined to have Suarez on the bench and give Yesil a start, with Luis (and possibly Stevie, who i'd not take to Dagestan) coming on after 60 if we need a goal.

That said, I think Suarez will start every one of these games. We are lucky, at least, that's he's a forward with an incredible engine but we have seen evidence of him not playing very well when he's a bit tired. At times, to me, a tired, frustrated Suarez is maybe even worse for the team than having no Suarez out there at all. Maybe.

Put Yesil out there with Assaidi/Sterling around him and Shelvey behind him and give them all license to take shots on goal and we should be able to beat Reading without Luis.
Hadn't thought of that, very very good post think you've got very valid points!

No Men in the Box Redux

Keyboard Warrior

I definitely understand where you are coming from and I think you are rightfully concerned with how much we might be demanding of Luis in the next 8 days but I don't think we are yet in a secure enough position to be able to play such an inexperienced second string against Reading. Recall that we haven't won at home in the league yet. Reading will be no push over and they certainly have enough quality to punish us if we don't take control of the game early and be in a comfortable lead by midway in the second half. It is pivotal that before we start thinking about future games that we are already in a winning trend. That we are not so we don't have the right to even think about resting Luis. One game at a time. Lets make sure we register our first win of the season then we can start thinking about the next game.

If we can win the game early, maybe we can rest Luis for the majority of the second half of the game. Who knows? I would rather that than us finding ourselves 0-0 in the 75th minute because of a weakened strikeforce and then scrambling to make substitutions to change the game. That would sap away all morale if we tied once again or even lost to Reading at home. No, we must start strong and crush them early. This needs to be emphatic. We can't keep failing to get results at home.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Bib theory usually only accurate in the training the day before a match.
These sort of tips and analysis best shared in close doors... don't want the opposing team manager to lurk and use it against us. Then we might hear from the PR department.... "I know what your family do for a living...." ;)

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
These sort of tips and analysis best shared in close doors... don't want the opposing team manager to lurk and use it against us. Then we might hear from the PR department.... "I know what your family do for a living...." ;)
Dont be daft everybody knows a good mole is the only way to gain credibility and Chang paid lunches!

REDSkins

TIA Youth Team
No, we must start strong and crush them early. This needs to be emphatic. We can't keep failing to get results at home.
Yeah, I agree with your post. I'm sure we all wish we DIDNT have to agree with all that, though lol

Given our "patient" style of football, your approach is probably better. We need to get ourselves at least a 2 goal margin and then we can do the whole death by football keep away approach and see the game out. Chasing goals is far from ideal when you play this way, and we do tend to come out the gates like bulls at Anfield anyway, so let's just hope we can be clinical and kill the game early.

Even in games where we find the net, we still haven't been able to really kill a game (other than Norwich). Need to do to others what Arsenal did to us a few weeks back, score and then play confidence-fueled keep away (fuck, that game really pissed me off). Guess I've just been hoping we can achieve that w/o Suarez but you've convinced me that we do need to just focus on getting that W and then we can worry about the other games later. Would definitely be heartbreaking to our players if we don't get the 3 points here and that could have knock-on effects.

OhYaBeauty

I was under the impression Anzhi were to play in Moscow for the Euro League, not Dagestan

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
Do you guys think Suarez will be a starter in all 3 of the next games (as Hope said, 3 games in about 8 days including a flight to Russia)?
Hopefully Suarez and the majority of the first teamers don't even travel to Russia let alone play in that game.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I actually expect Rodgers to carry on blooding the kids an fringe players in the away Euro games and then calling on a couple of the heavier hitters for the home games.

It seems his plan so far so our main players will have a weeks rest between Reading an Everton.

REDSkins

TIA Youth Team
I was under the impression Anzhi were to play in Moscow for the Euro League, not Dagestan
That could be right. I know that they only show up to their stadium in Dagestan for games, while training and residences of many players is in Moscow. I'm ignorant on their arrangement with UEFA though it would be logical to play in Moscow if possible.

While I agree with everyone here that we won't see many 1st teamers for the Europa games, it will be a huge task for Downing & the kids to come away from Russia with even a point. WHo cares, I guess, since we will have other opportunities to atone for the Udinese loss both at Anfield and then in Udine (but it's another 3 games in 8 days situation, early december).

Just dont want to see our 2nd team get embarrassed in Russia which could kill their spirits a bit. More so than for the sake of advancing in the Europa League. I guess with Borini injured we might as well just forget about Europa. Group stage will be over by the time he's fit again, probably.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
That could be right. I know that they only show up to their stadium in Dagestan for games, while training and residences of many players is in Moscow. I'm ignorant on their arrangement with UEFA though it would be logical to play in Moscow if possible.

While I agree with everyone here that we won't see many 1st teamers for the Europa games, it will be a huge task for Downing & the kids to come away from Russia with even a point. WHo cares, I guess, since we will have other opportunities to atone for the Udinese loss both at Anfield and then in Udine (but it's another 3 games in 8 days situation, early december).

Just dont want to see our 2nd team get embarrassed in Russia which could kill their spirits a bit. More so than for the sake of advancing in the Europa League. I guess with Borini injured we might as well just forget about Europa. Group stage will be over by the time he's fit again, probably.
In all fairness when left to their own devices the second string have looked great. Its when the first string interfear.

REDSkins

TIA Youth Team
In all fairness when left to their own devices the second string have looked great. Its when the first string interfear.
Agreed, but we felt the wrath of Di Natale, and I'm sure there will be an intention to do the same from Samuel Eto'o & co...i think they will field their strongest team. All I can say is give Jordan Henderson the full 90! haha...

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
I personally think he will play a strong team in all 3 and do his best to get a good lead then bring players off in the 2nd half in all 3 games. I don't think he will risk losing against Anzhi and having to play the best team for the rest of the group stage in fear of going out. If we can win that game we are nearly home and dry with the YB a definite win. He also won't want to risk losing any of the league games which unfortunately means playing our best team in all 3 even if not for the whole game.

As for which is our best team, Sahin, Allen and Gerrard would be my mid 3 but the front without Borini would have to be Suarez, Sterling and Suso for me. Shelvey and Assaidi are good backups though so maybe have them come on if we have a lead, especially Shelvey who must be well rested now

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Hmm Gomel both legs, Hearts both legs, Young Boys away and Udi at home. (West Brom away?)

Whether wrong or right of him so far Rodgers has shown his form seems to be field the best from reserves and training from the young and fringe players in all the away games with the main guys on the bench if things go wrong.

The best performing of those players keep their spots for the home legs whilst some of our heavy hitters are brought in to the starting line up to make sure we get the results at home (in theory).

Then those that prove themselves in those ways get the chances in the league when spots open up.

I think we have seen enough now to be sure thats a pattern not just a one or two time thing.

Cant see him deviating when we are actually looking ok in the Europa League table, maybe if we were failing miserably in Europe but the irony is that its when we leave all the stars on the bench or at home that we have been at our best.

I see the team that played against Stoke an Norwich playing against Reading and Everton whilst the likes of Henderson, Robinson and Coates continue to play the side competition games.

WrinkledMind

Living A Life Consumed By Slow Decay.
I know we have fairing better in Europe compared in the league, but I don't want him to rest any players for the league.Concentrate on the league.That is the priority.

I hope the fringe players get a go in the midweek.

As for the reading game, I would be happy with a 1-0.

steve10

TIA New Signing
Another difficult game at home but atleast Reading will try and play football and not park the bus like Stoke. Some of the players are going to be tired but with limited attacking options they will have to solder on. Pacheco & Morgan played for the U-21 today so they will not be involved in any capacity tomorrow. Will probably be the same team that started the game against Stoke.

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
Stirling,Suarez,Suso
Allen,Gerrard,Sahin
Johnson,Agger,Skrtel,Wisdom

Picks itself atm really unless Enrique is fit and is going to get a chance at LB

Defence will need to be on their game, Progrebyniak will only need one decent chance and he will score.

RMP

TIA First Team
Going off the assumption that Reina is doubtful.

Jones​
Wisdom Skrtel Agger Johnson​
Allen Sahin​
Shelvey​
Gerrard Suarez Sterling​

Rooster

What a hit son
Time for Stevie to move forward in this game. Sahin, Joe and Jonjo can run the midfield. Great minds think alike RMP.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I'd love to see Gerrard on the right of the front three. We're stacked in midfield, and on form alone he isn't playing better than Allen, Shahin, Shelvey or Suso. We know from Rodgers conversation with Jonjo on 'Being: Liverpool', that he is keen to move Gerrard further forward.

I also suspect we might see Yesil up front here. Suarez has just got back from a gruelling international round trip, and I'd sooner rest him than see him pick up a strain or silly suspension through frustration (we know what he's like). Yesil is on fire at the minute, and Reading are the perfect team to give him a run against.

I'd be tempted to play as follows...

---------------Reina (if available)
Wisdom Skrtel Agger Johnson
-----------Allen Shelvey----------
----------------Sahin----------------
---Gerrard---Yesil---Sterling---

Stick on Suarez after 60mins if we're struggling.

Like the look of that actually. Although I would even be tempted to rest Gerrard given he has only had a couple of days rest and bring him on along with Suarez if we are not leading by the start of the 2nd half.

themedic

TIA Youth Team
I'd love to see Gerrard on the right of the front three. We're stacked in midfield, and on form alone he isn't playing better than Allen, Shahin, Shelvey or Suso. We know from Rodgers conversation with Jonjo on 'Being: Liverpool', that he is keen to move Gerrard further forward.

I also suspect we might see Yesil up front here. Suarez has just got back from a gruelling international round trip, and I'd sooner rest him than see him pick up a strain or silly suspension through frustration (we know what he's like). Yesil is on fire at the minute, and Reading are the perfect team to give him a run against.

I'd be tempted to play as follows...

-----------Allen Shelvey----------
----------------Sahin----------------
---Gerrard---Yesil---Sterling---

Stick on Suarez after 60mins if we're struggling.
Love it.

If I'm feeling particularly bold, I would switch Gerrard to the left and Sterling on the right purely because Reading's left side lacks pace and Sterling can terrorise them and cross with his stronger foot. And Gerrard on the left can cut in to drill a bullet with his right.

Doggie

Resident Optimist
Like the look of that actually. Although I would even be tempted to rest Gerrard given he has only had a couple of days rest and bring him on along with Suarez if we are not leading by the start of the 2nd half.
Just what I was thinking.

-----------Allen Suso Sahin----------
---Suarez---Shelvey---Sterling---

Status
Not open for further replies.