• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Pre Match Liverpool v Spurs (EPL 31/3/19 4:30pm)

Status
Not open for further replies.

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
Depending on where you live meeting for a Mothers Day breakfast may be ok :). Luckily had mine sorted early, meal at a nearby pub set for 1pm, can definitely be back for 430. I realise that for some in different areas this cant be done because of the time difference, a sneaky look on here for updates is allowable under the new UK laws regarding silly holidays though.

Red over the water

My tuppence worth on RedForever’s view is that it’s not entirely unreasonable, but it generally comes across as glass half empty. It’s in the bounds of normal opinion and conversation about the reds, but obviously if overdone, it will start to grate, and that’s what we are starting to see with some of the reaction. At our best we play the ball and not the man, so we should strive for that.

I’m seeing three general criticisms by RedForever in this thread, and the underlying theme is “we could be better.”

1. Klopp’s substitutions, game management, etc.
2. Spending money/recruitment
3. The midfield balance, Henderson in particular

First of all, let’s find common ground. YES, we could be better in all three areas. But there’s more to say...

Criticism number one has some traction with the wider fan base. Sometimes Klopp’s substitutions seem too late, and sometimes it seems like we need to really be up against it before some urgency is introduced. My own view on this is we have played a more mature and measured season and it has yielded a points haul that would comfortably be winning the Premier League most seasons. The criticism is legitimate, but shouldn’t be overdone. I was moaning when Lallana started recently, and he was brilliant. Shows what I know! (Might show what Klopp knows too).

Criticism number two has least traction among the wider fan base. Recruitment has generally been excellent for a while now. We have made some big, bold moves in the market, and we have also given some excellent youngsters a path to the first team. A football squad is always a work in progress, so there are some areas we can all name where we need more quality or depth, but on balance this is the best we have had in many years, and results bear that out.

Criticism number three, on Henderson, is divided among the fan base. At the least, Henderson is a good player. You don’t play that many games for Liverpool and not be. He suffers slightly by being captain following right after a true club legend. Most would look poor by comparison. My tuppence worth is that it is unseemly to keep picking at Henderson. He is a good player and the club captain. In all likelihood, as we move forward Henderson will start to slip from being an automatic fixture in the side, and then there might be a question mark over whether the captaincy needs to change hands, probably to Van Dijk. But that will work itself out. In the meantime, we should back Henderson.

Criticism in all three areas is allowed. But if overdone we have to be aware that it will get people’s backs up!

Most fans will have a moan now and again. It’s what we do. In our last game I was moaning about Salah, who is probably one of the best five players on the planet. How spoiled and entitled is that? So we can all do the glass half-full routine. But let’s be fair!

We are a fearsome outfit these days and it is a GREAT time to be a red. We have a world class manager, a great team, we are fighting hard for the title with seven games to go, and we have a decent draw in the QF of the Champions League.

Life is good. Enjoy!

YNWA

PeachesEnRegalia

No Offense, @Maria....
My tuppence worth on RedForever’s view is that it’s not entirely unreasonable, but it generally comes across as glass half empty. It’s in the bounds of normal opinion and conversation about the reds, but obviously if overdone, it will start to grate, and that’s what we are starting to see with some of the reaction. At our best we play the ball and not the man, so we should strive for that.

I’m seeing three general criticisms by RedForever in this thread, and the underlying theme is “we could be better.”

First of all, let’s find common ground. YES, we could be better in all three areas. But there’s more to say...

Criticism number one has some traction with the wider fan base. Sometimes Klopp’s substitutions seem too late, and sometimes it seems like we need to really be up against it before some urgency is introduced. My own view on this is we have played a more mature and measured season and it has yielded a points haul that would comfortably be winning the Premier League most seasons. The criticism is legitimate, but shouldn’t be overdone. I was moaning when Lallana started recently, and he was brilliant. Shows what I know! (Might show what Klopp knows too).

Criticism number two has least traction among the wider fan base. Recruitment has generally been excellent for a while now. We have made some big, bold moves in the market, and we have also given some excellent youngsters a path to the first team. A football squad is always a work in progress, so there are some areas we can all name where we need more quality or depth, but on balance this is the best we have had in many years, and results bear that out.

Criticism number three, on Henderson, is divided among the fan base. At the least, Henderson is a good player. You don’t play that many games for Liverpool and not be. He suffers slightly by being captain following right after a true club legend. Most would look poor by comparison. My tuppence worth is that it is unseemly to keep picking at Henderson. He is a good player and the club captain. In all likelihood, as we move forward Henderson will start to slip from being an automatic fixture in the side, and then there might be a question mark over whether the captaincy needs to change hands, probably to Van Dijk. But that will work itself out. In the meantime, we should back Henderson.

Criticism in all three areas is allowed. But if overdone we have to be aware that it will get people’s backs up!

Most fans will have a moan now and again. It’s what we do. In our last game I was moaning about Salah, who is probably one of the best five players on the planet. How spoiled and entitled is that? So we can all do the glass half-full routine. But let’s be fair!

We are a fearsome outfit these days and it is a GREAT time to be a red. We have a world class manager, a great team, we are fighting hard for the title with seven games to go, and we have a decent draw in the QF of the Champions League.

Life is good. Enjoy!

YNWA
Didn’t read, lol

Alright Now

Life is good. Enjoy!

YNWA
It may or may not be reasonable, but it’s unreasonable when in every thread.

PeachesEnRegalia

No Offense, @Maria....
Seeing as we've 8 days to wait until our next win maybe it's an idea to start a poll to see how many times Kane dives and how many penalties they get. Dirty, diving bastards.
I fucking hate them. I have always had a bit of a dislike for them, but starting last year it grew into an unhealthy hatred. Dirty disgusting diving cheating shithouse scumbag shitty bastards, to a man.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
I fucking hate them. I have always had a bit of a dislike for them, but starting last year it grew into an unhealthy hatred. Dirty disgusting diving cheating shithouse scumbag shitty bastards, to a man.
Always good to get your real thoughts off your chest Peaches. Just wondering, is your surname Jones by any chance?

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Ad-free Member
It’s not widely reported but after millwall, west hand and Chelsea, spurs are one of the nastier sets of London fans. My missus went on her own once in her original crown paints shirt (she’s got a big collection of original 80s shirts) and she got a really hard time from a bunch of spurs fans on the tube. Not cheery banter but proper abuse where she felt really threatened. This to a women clearly on her own and all the other spurs fans just let it slide. Never had any time for them since.

Alright Now

Agreed.

Criticism is part and parcel of the game, but when overdone it loses impact and, well, no one likes a moaner.
I actually don’t even think it’s a matter of like or dislike. Posters have the right to moan, of course. I’d be all for centralizing it in a single thread dedicated to this particular all-encompassing moaning rather than seeing it afflict every thread.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
All this moaning about Redforever is getting boring lads. There is an ignore function you know. If he offends you so much then may I suggest you use it instead of ruining this thread by moaning about him?

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Ad-free Member
And another thing, having done some work at one of his previous clubs, I know first hand that Harry rednapp is not the loveable cheeky cockney geezer he’s portrayed as in the media. The mods won’t like it if I explain why but I wouldn’t buy a used car off him put it that way.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
And another thing, having done some work at one of his previous clubs, I know first hand that Harry rednapp is not the loveable cheeky cockney geezer he’s portrayed as in the media. The mods won’t like it if I explain why but I wouldn’t buy a used car off him put it that way.
I think that that basic point is fairly well known now, but for a court determining a search was illegal and throwing out evidence as a result, he would likely have been convicted on a range of charges relating to corrupt practices. One of those times when not guilty and innocent are not the same thing.

Red over the water

Fair play, let’s talk footy.

You have to think Man City will beat Fulham. Spurs are one of the two hardest games, on paper at least, that we have left. Three points imperative to keep the pressure up.

As for Harry Kane, I can’t stand him. Lots of previous there, in terms of his arrogance. It touched me! I swear on my babies life! (Charming, poor baby). Nobody gives me two chances. Etc.

He was crap for England in the World Cup. As the tournament progressed he regressed. The one time, as an Enlgishman, I almost wanted him to do well, and he couldn’t do it. He got a penalty and a deflection, and an easy goal, but basically when the sharp end of the tournament came round, when its the time for the big players to make their mark, he was nowhere to be found. He wasn’t in or near the penalty area either. In fact, if he played much deeper he would have been behind Pickford and in with the fans.

I remain perplexed why he gets so many goals. No great pace. No great trick. No great skill. Oh, and a tongue that is three sizes too big for his mouth.

Let’s smash them!

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
This is so entertaining, this thread so far. It's like a buffet. There's a little bit of everything on here.

Regarding the mother's day Anfield special, I think there will be additional excitement after Ryan Babel scores twice and wins the game for FFC the day before. Yes, I've said it as I've given up on reverse psych with the Abu Dhabi collaborative.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
I think that that basic point is fairly well known now, but for a court determining a search was illegal and throwing out evidence as a result, he would likely have been convicted on a range of charges relating to corrupt practices. One of those times when not guilty and innocent are not the same thing.
Nasty dog that Rosie.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
Incidentally chaps, this morning I finally relented and took Mo out of my fantasy football team. I'd stubbornly kept him in for months hoping to prove the hoodoo is a nonsense, but I can't do it to the guy any more. Stick the mortgage on a Salah hat-trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.