• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Pre Match Liverpool v Spurs (EPL 31/3/19 4:30pm)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
So its Mothers Day next Sunday, and I think the clocks change too. And I don't trust my phone as its meant to change time by itself, and I've also put away my watch - and got one of these new smart watches - which again change time by themselves.

Not sure if we have an analogue clock in the house. Better not get my times screwed up - I am starting to worry.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
So its Mothers Day next Sunday, and I think the clocks change too. And I don't trust my phone as its meant to change time by itself, and I've also put away my watch - and got one of these new smart watches - which again change time by themselves.

Not sure if we have an analogue clock in the house. Better not get my times screwed up - I am starting to worry.
No Mothers Day conundrum for me.
I'll be at work, kick off will be 1900, one hour after I finish my shift.

Feet up with a nice cold one.

Alright Now

I have your number and I don’t sleep the night before. Don’t fear.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
The myopic view of the Beryl haters on here pisses me off. Apart from making tea she can also supply a variety of coffees too. Beryl’s hot beverages were the cornerstone of our CL run last season and but for her hot water boiler going on the blink in the first half of the final I truly believe we’d have won number six.
Thought it was Ethel,still she’s been around a while so assume she has retired!

RedForever2014

Agreed.

Criticism is part and parcel of the game, but when overdone it loses impact and, well, no one likes a moaner.
Unless she's a long legged brunette of course.

It’s not widely reported but after millwall, west hand and Chelsea, spurs are one of the nastier sets of London fans. My missus went on her own once in her original crown paints shirt (she’s got a big collection of original 80s shirts) and she got a really hard time from a bunch of spurs fans on the tube. Not cheery banter but proper abuse where she felt really threatened. This to a women clearly on her own and all the other spurs fans just let it slide. Never had any time for them since.
They are indeed a sick bunch. The Spurs fans attacked us as we left White Hart Lane after the 1986 FA Cup semi (against Southampton) and we weren't even playing them that day. Came en masse from behind a tower block throwing breeze blocks.

Not been back since, but what a shithole that area was then. And they had the audacity to talk about Liverpool's problems as a city.

RedForever2014

Fair play, let’s talk footy.

You have to think Man City will beat Fulham. Spurs are one of the two hardest games, on paper at least, that we have left. Three points imperative to keep the pressure up.

As for Harry Kane, I can’t stand him. Lots of previous there, in terms of his arrogance. It touched me! I swear on my babies life! (Charming, poor baby). Nobody gives me two chances. Etc.

He was crap for England in the World Cup. As the tournament progressed he regressed. The one time, as an Enlgishman, I almost wanted him to do well, and he couldn’t do it. He got a penalty and a deflection, and an easy goal, but basically when the sharp end of the tournament came round, when its the time for the big players to make their mark, he was nowhere to be found. He wasn’t in or near the penalty area either. In fact, if he played much deeper he would have been behind Pickford and in with the fans.

I remain perplexed why he gets so many goals. No great pace. No great trick. No great skill. Oh, and a tongue that is three sizes too big for his mouth.

Let’s smash them!
England were crap at the world cup, they were deservedly beaten in all their matches against anyone decent and it was enjoyable to watch.

Absolutely no time for them.

RedForever2014

Having read back a few pages, it is hilarious to see people taking the moral high ground about my 'moaning' and criticism.

Walk round any office or factory in the UK and you'll see people moaning and groaning about actually being asked to do a day's work for their wages, whilst criticising their bosses despite being utterly incapable of progressing into management (let alone senior management) themselves.

Oh and yes, moaning about the same thing every day in a repetitive way. At the water cooler, in the smoker's area, in the lift, on the toilet, in the canteen. Moan, moan, moan.

That's your typical British worker and it's why we had to import so many capable and willing people to do so many of the jobs in the UK today.

I bet those on here taking such a moral high ground are the biggest moaners in their work environment, and probably the least capable at whatever they do.

Last edited:

ptt

2020, head of the table.
Having read back a few pages, it is hilarious to see people taking the moral high ground about my 'moaning' and criticism.

Walk round any office or factory in the UK and you'll see people moaning and groaning about actually being asked to do a day's work for their wages, whilst criticising their bosses despite being utterly incapable of progressing into management (let alone senior management) themselves.

Oh and yes, moaning about the same thing every day in a repetitive way. At the water cooler, in the smoker's area, in the lift, on the toilet, in the canteen. Moan, moan, moan.

That's your typical British worker and it's why we had to import so many capable and willing people to do so many of the jobs in the UK today.

I bet those on here taking such a moral high ground are the biggest moaners in their work environment, and probably the least capable at whatever they do.
Yes but the difference is, the key tiny point that you’re missing is, that following any sporting team is done for enjoyment. Otherwise, why do it?

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member

You do it on this forum too - especially if we haven't won minimum 3-0. And even then......

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member

That's some refreshing honesty and self-awareness. Management's not for everyone :well done:

jaffod

Unless she's a long legged brunette of course.

They are indeed a sick bunch. The Spurs fans attacked us as we left White Hart Lane after the 1986 FA Cup semi (against Southampton) and we weren't even playing them that day. Came en masse from behind a tower block throwing breeze blocks.

Not been back since, but what a shithole that area was then. And they had the audacity to talk about Liverpool's problems as a city.

Yeah, remember that gaff well. We got marched en masse through some dodgy looking estate surrounded by high rise flats. Didn't see much trouble but it was pretty shady.

jaffod

Fucking hell, I tend to agree with most of your stuff but that's a steaming pile of horseshit right there. I actually read it twice thinking I'd missed the joke.

PaulRoJo

Supporter since 1990 still waiting for the league
Isn't that just a sign of professionalism? Proper tea lady checks the equipment before hand, and checks it again. Amateur mistake, if you ask me.

To my mind, Henderson can provide value in midfield, but is right now of our midfield group the one who is most susceptible to being a bad fit with other groupings. I spent a little while watching the first half of the Bayern game, specifically focusing on Henderson and then Fabinho, trying to isolate what actually changed. With Henderson-Wijnaldum-Milner, Wijnaldum is really the only one who is going to try to carry the ball through the middle of the park, and he will normally be the most forward of the three. Milner will carry it, but almost always into wide spaces, usually to the right side - otherwise, he tends to circulate the ball just the way Henderson does. Every time Henderson had the ball, his passing options forward were poor, but there was a channel available to him to carry which he wasn't going into - the net result was Wijnaldum was the most aggressive in possession, however wasn't seeing the ball, while Henderson and Milner were doing largely the same thing.

As soon as Fabinho gets his foot on the ball, a good five minutes after he is on, things change very quickly, because every time he sees those same poor passing options, he carries the ball into the central channel, forces some movement from the Bayern midfield and improves his passing angles. Firmino starts to become a possible option. Suddenly Wijnaldum is getting the ball, and when he carries from where he gets it, usually just over the half, Mane and Robertson are both on. Milner is getting the ball further forward and with a clear opportunity to take on a midfielder whose supporting defender is worried about Salah, and TAA has space to bomb into.

My take away is that with that group of three, Henderson is just too similar to the properties the other two have. Nothing truly wrong with the component parts, but for most opponents, we need a different balance in the midfield.

Also worth noting that I had not quite realized how much of Henderson's time in that game he was carrying the injury he left with - the first knock happened in the first 5 minutes.
Sterling post that. Fabinho makes such a different because of that movement and ability to turn. Its why we have to be hopeful of Keita next season as he should provide even more of both which creates so much fucking space and is the key to pulling apart organised teams.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
At least we get extra day break.
We’ll be 2nd at KO as City have Fulham on Sat.
I’m going 2-1 here with Mo to find the net again and Mane.

Ljc1109

Halfway through the break! I’ve survived the withdrawals somehow ;-)

Spurs seem tricky not because they’re better but because there’s always the feeling they’re one step away from a dodgy call for their diving and moaning. They are just a very unlikeable team. 2-0 with Mane keeping his streak going and Salah finding the net again.

Not Worthy

Fucking hell, I tend to agree with most of your stuff but that's a steaming pile of horseshit right there. I actually read it twice thinking I'd missed the joke.
I agree with little of his and none of yours, but feck me, that left me with tea in my lungs.....

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin

I’m fucking done with this.

I warned you only the other day about dropping inflammatory political rhetoric into football threads and dragging them off topic. At this point you are surely taking the piss and looking for a reaction, so you can have one. It’s a week off and notice that the next time this happens it’s a permanent ban.

Status
Not open for further replies.