• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

PRE Match: Liverpool v Swansea (League Cup: Wed, 31 Oct.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
Should be a bit of a breather between the very physically and emotionally demanding derby and our league game at home to Newcastle next Sunday. That said, Swansea will not be pushovers and we'll have to be on our game if we intend to progress in the cup.

Assaidi - - Yesil - - Downing

Suso
Sahin - Henderson

Robinson - - Carragher - Coates - - McLaughlin?
Reina

Seems unlikely that Pacheco will get a runout, although I would very much like to see him given a chance. A chance to rest some of our top players and start bringing Pepe back into the side. Our shortage of fullbacks is becoming a problem; are Jack Robinson or Jon Flanagan fit for selection?

A chance for Rodgers to refocus the side and continue implementing his vision which was lacking amidst the thuggery against Everton. Take it away.

nimitzz

TIA Reserve Team
i wont rush enrique... again... he was good solid today... but still ... anyway the young guns need a chance again!

Schudelfufli

Banned Users
Should be a bit of a breather between the very physically and emotionally demanding derby and our league game at home to Newcastle next Sunday. That said, Swansea will not be pushovers and we'll have to be on our game if we intend to progress in the cup.

Suso
Sahin - Henderson

Enrique - - Carragher - Coates - - Wisdom
Reina

Seems unlikely that Pacheco will get a runout, although I would very much like to see him given a chance. A chance to rest some of our top players and start bringing Pepe back into the side. Our shortage of fullbacks is becoming a problem; is Jack Robinson fit for selection?

A chance for Rodgers to refocus the side and continue implementing his vision which was lacking amidst the thuggery against Everton. Take it away.
Like your lineup generally, although I would replace Suso with Pacheco (if he's not just completely back out in the wilderness) and definitely play Robinson on the left and McClaughlin/Flanagan on the right (if any of those three are fit). Swansea are a good side and I'd expect a mostly full-strength side from Laudrup. Not too impressed with how he has them set up defensively though, so I think we could do a fair bit of damage to them.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
I think it's fair to say that as well as Rafa, The Owl and Kenny, Rodgers doesn't see much to warrant giving Pacheco many first team opprtunities.

Matt

Poor Scouser Tommy
Admin
Reina; Flanagan, Carragher, Coates, Robinson; Henderson, Sahin, Shelvey; Suso, Morgan, Assaidi.

Schudelfufli

Banned Users
I think it's fair to say that as well as Rafa, The Owl and Kenny, Rodgers doesn't see much to warrant giving Pacheco many first team opprtunities.
Seemingly true, although he was very strong against WBA in the league cup. Would probably kill ten men to even get a sub appearance in this one too.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Wouldnt surprise me if we saw something along the lines of:

_______________Reina____________
Flanagan Carra Coates Downing
___________Henderson___________
_________Suso Pacheco_________
_____Cole___Yesil___Assaidi_____

But with a very very strong bench.

DEVGRU

Banned for the umpteenth time
Am looking forward to this...should be a cracker..Swansea are a lot of fun to watch..and they won't be rolling over, that's for sure.

We need to stop conceding silly goals and to start scoring...wonder if Reina will come back into the side for this.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Am looking forward to this...should be a cracker..Swansea are a lot of fun to watch..and they won't be rolling over, that's for sure.

We need to stop conceding silly goals and to start scoring...wonder if Reina will come back into the side for this.
Are we really going to have the "stop conceding silly goals" posts every time we concede this season? We had 3 clean sheets going into the game today.

Why, will Joe Cole be on it?

I'd actually play Suarez for the whole 90 minutes.
He looked a bit rusty today, and in need of another run out
Joe Cole is only 4 foot 1 he cant be that heavy the bench wouldnt need to be strong for him!

And for love of god dont mention the Suarez idea around Sooekie he will flip his lid!

OhYaBeauty

Reina; Flanagan, Carragher, Coates, Robinson; Henderson, Sahin, Shelvey; Suso, Morgan, Assaidi.
Like that lineup. Hope to see Pacheco get a chance in there though, perhaps off the bench.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users

Suso
Sahin - Henderson

Enrique? - - Carragher - Coates - - Wisdom?
Reina

Seems unlikely that Pacheco will get a runout, although I would very much like to see him given a chance. A chance to rest some of our top players and start bringing Pepe back into the side. Our shortage of fullbacks is becoming a problem; are Jack Robinson or Jon Flanagan fit for selection?

I like that 11, just I would like to see Suso in for Yesil and Shelvey in for where you have Suso.

MaestroAllen

I really hope Pacheco gets a chance as attacking mid. Based on West Brom game I think he deserves it. I'd go with something like:

--------------Reina
Wisdom - Carra - Wisdom - Robinson
----------Hendo - Sahin
Downing - Pacheco -- Assaidi
-------------Yesil

Which mean my prefered starting-11 against Newcastle all will get a rest (except for Reina): Reina - Johnson, Skrtel, Agger, Enrique - Allen, Gerrard, Shelvey - Suso, Suarez, Sterling

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
Would like to see Ibe get involved somehow, maybe not from start but coming off the bench.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
We really should look to play a second string team: Prem, FA Cup, Euro League should be our priorities (in that order) I'm desperate for Yesil to get some goals, really hoping he can prove himself a goalscorer at a higher level - if suarez gets injured or suspended, we don't have to totally chuck him in at the deep end.

zagueiro

TIA Squad Member
I really hope Pacheco gets a chance as attacking mid. Based on West Brom game I think he deserves it. I'd go with something like:

--------------Reina
Wisdom - Carra - Wisdom - Robinson
----------Hendo - Sahin
Downing - Pacheco -- Assaidi
-------------Yesil

Which mean my prefered starting-11 against Newcastle all will get a rest (except for Reina): Reina - Johnson, Skrtel, Agger, Enrique - Allen, Gerrard, Shelvey - Suso, Suarez, Sterling
You rate Wisom very highly then?

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Would like to see Ibe get involved somehow, maybe not from start but coming off the bench.
Think Ibe will play the NextGen game same day. But maybe later on in season if we get a lower league team Ibe and maybe one or two others should get a chance but for now Ibe is probably bout 8th choice in wide positions so doubt itll happen yet. Does look like an outstanding prospect though.

GratefulRed

TIA Reserve Team
Ad-free Member
Gerrard, Sterling, Suarez, Agger, Skrtel, and Allen should all be rested.

I'd go with:

---------------Jones---------------
Wisdom-Coates-Carra--Robinson
-----Henderson---Sahin----------
-------------Cole--------------------
--Downing---Yesil----Assaidi-----

Bench: Reina, Suso, Pacheco, Skrtel, Enrique, Shelvey, Morgan

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Like Jones but his hoofing is not what i wanna see.

My team would be:

.............................Pepe.................................
Flanagan......Carra......Coates............Robinson
..................Henderson......Sahin...................
Cole...................Shelvey......................Assaidi
.............................Yesil..................................

Doggie

Resident Optimist
Like Jones but his hoofing is not what i wanna see.

My team would be:

.............................Pepe.................................
Flanagan......Carra......Coates............Robinson
..................Henderson......Sahin...................
Cole...................Shelvey......................Assaidi
.............................Yesil..................................
Yeah I like that, although I think Downing will get another run out, maybe at left back.

steve10

TIA New Signing
Suarez is 1 yellow card away from suspension. Big risk if he plays this game and gets booked- will miss the Newcastle game. I would play a reserve team in this game but Rodgers has become so unpredictable that it will not surprise me if he plays a strong team.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I'd like to see plenty of changes for this.

----------------Reina-------------------
Wisdom Carra Coates Robinson
----Henderson--Shelvey-----------
----------------Suso--------------------
----Assaidi---Yesil---Pacheco-----

Irresponsible to play Allen, Suarez, Gerrard and Sterling in this.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Suarez is 1 yellow card away from suspension. Big risk if he plays this game and gets booked- will miss the Newcastle game. I would play a reserve team in this game but Rodgers has become so unpredictable that it will not surprise me if he plays a strong team.
Hmmm actually I might rest him for this and Newcastle then as the very last thing we want is to be stuck with an untested kid against Chelsea as odds are that would be the game he would be suspended for!!!! Would much prefer Yesil or Morgan against Newcastle than Chelsea and think Suarez should be on the bench for the cup game anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.