• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Pre-Match | Liverpool vs Arsenal | PL Matchday 3 | Saturday August 24th | 17:30h | Anfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedYank

Their fans are already giddy after two wins talking about winning the league, Europa etc. Kroenke pulled his wallet out and the dust from it seems to have sent them high. A good kick in the bollocks at Anfield should bring them back down to earth. The highlight is, post match, that wanker on their fan TV, Troopz. "Fam, Blud, ya get me!" Prick.
Perhaps we can cause DT to go insane on AFTV?

"I tell ya, Robbie...they're killing me, right 'ere. No passion...no passion"

Usual over optimism here. It'll be tough. Our defence has looked shaky so far this season and they have excellent forwards. However, they have issues at the back and our forward line is tasty too. Can see a 3-2 or 4-3, but it won't be a stroll

Red over the water

I’ve been a bit wary of Arsenal and it goes back to watching them come to Anfield and winning 2-0 on the last day of the season to win the title. That was practically unheard of back then, but they bloodied our noses and it represented the start of us losing our invincibility.

A lot of water has passed under the bridge since then, and these days we are definitely the better side. But still I can’t relax about this one. Arsenal, at their current level of development, remind me of a Roy Evans Liverpool team. They can play great football and score goals and they can beat anybody on the day. But do they have the requisite steel in the side for a season-long campaign?

Emery is a good manager and I think Arsenal have a great chance of making top four. We will need to be resolute and strong at the back, and we will also need to finish better than we have been. Giving up chances at one end and missing them at the other is not a good habit to get into. I expect us to improve with a whole week to rest and prepare, and we will need to be near our best to win.

Adrian
TAA Gomez VVD Robbo
Henderson Fabinho Wijnaldum
Salah Firmino Mane

I prefer Gomez to Matip as Arsenal have some tricky players who are fast on the deck, and Gomez is more of an athlete than Matip. The point is well made that Gomez needs to improve and get back to his best, but it’s very early in the season and he can only do that if he plays.

3-1 to Liverpool.

* However, if we don’t improve, that result could easily be reversed. But I think this is the game where we will start to look more solid.

Red Submarine

SIX, and counting.
Hopefully, after a week's rest, this will be the game where we start to gel a bit more and Mo finds his feet. I trust Klopp to dish out the instructions and hope that the players follow his orders competently. If that happens we will win. For more expert analysis do not ask me :)

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
Arsenal have been one team that have strengthened along with Spurs. Good news is that the squad will be pretty fresh after some good days rest.

I'll go with
Adrian
TAA Gomez VVD Robbo
Henderson Fabinho Oxlade
Salah Bobby Mane

Have to be wary of the Arsenal front line though considering our defense looks a bit....rusty. Great match on offering and should be a liverpool win.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Sooooo,Sokratis apparently says we'll be easier to defend against than Burnley,so he's a bit of a daft cunt as well as being shite.
What makes you think he's wrong? He did defend against Burnley, but they hardly did any defending when they play against us. So he's not wrong. It's easier to play defence against us, because they don't play at all.

Not going to be easy. I have not seen this Pepe fella before and so I can't comment on how to handle this fucker, but Aubameyang is going to be a handful for Alexander-Arnold who isn't exactly great defensively. Won't be as easy as last season and we need to win this. A must win from here till the end of the season.... not very confident, and hope we don't fuck around at the back. Be more alert than the last three matches.

jaffod

Key to this is a fast start. These are like rabbits in the headlights at Anfield and have been for years. Their defence is as shit today as it was in December and if we take our chances I can see us getting 3 or 4 quite easily.
That said we need to up our game from what we've seen so far. I think JK needs to settle on a midfield and stick with it for a few weeks so we can get into a rhythm.
Only 2 places up for grabs really. Might go with Gomez for his pace but I'd stick with Matip. Hendo and Fabinho the pivot and then it's a toss up between AOC and Gini.
Not sure how they'll line up, they played a couple of kids from the youth team against Burnley but I'd be surprised if they start here. Apart from the front 2 there's very little threat and if we score in the first 15 minutes like we generally do against these then I expect we'll fucking demolish them.

XMarlin

I'm not convinced that Gomez is a better choice than Matip right now. Matip seems to be a little more composed.

Would like to see Fabinho start as I think getting stuck in early is one of his strengths.

Composure, focus and clinical efficiency at the back and rock and roll football up front...

Let's get 3 points and a shutout with a decent goal difference and no injuries.

YNWA

Ron Swanson

We are going to snot them 3-0, Mo, Bobby and Sadio getting the goals just to prove WE have the best attacking three in world football. Arsenal fans have been bragging they will smash and don't fear us and some of their players are at it as well. They are in for a shock as we do our talking on the pitch.

dormelfc

Probably one of the worst Arsenal sides I can remember from memory - no reason why we shouldn't be heading to the Emirates extremely confident.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Probably one of the worst Arsenal sides I can remember from memory
With Aubameyang and Lacazette they have scoring capacity, add Pepe to that and you have a front 3 with pace and ability. Our "higher line" is an invitation for the ball into space, and limited as Xhaka is he can provide that. Arsenal are borderline top 6 for the last few seasons, and a few tweaks and additions could see them in the top 4. I disagree with comparing them to previous Arsenal teams as we dont know how they will develop.
We obviously need to beat them, but dont I would be loathe to write them off easily.

Red over the water

I think they have a very dangerous front four in Aubameyang, Lacazette, Pepe and Ceballos. I would start Gomez alongside VVD for the added pace and athleticism over Matip, but we’ll see.

Sideshow Bob at the back isn’t an elite central defender, but he is a leader, and better than what Arsenal had, so it’s an improvement to tide them over, at the least.

I would rate them as having a good chance of top four. Emery is building a team there, and he is doing it front to back, rather than the more traditional back to front.

We will need to be better than the first two league games if we want the points. I think with a week to rest and prepare we will see an improved level from the mighty reds, and we will win this one by a couple. But if we are sloppy at the back and waste chances up front, Arsenal absolutely have the players to cause us some damage.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
............Adrian.........
TAA...VVD..Gomez...Robbo
....Hendo....Fab...Wij .....
...Mane....Firmino...Salah

Not worried about our defence, I just hope adrian sticks to basics. He seems to be a good shot stopper which is what we want.
I'd back our attack to our score them if required.
We have enough fire power to hurt them.
Going for a 3-1 win.
Front 3 scores for us and Aubameyang for them.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Sharing top spot with the European Champions? Who on earth do they think they are?! We'll smash them 4-1.

These are the boys to do it:

........................Adrian.................
Trent......Gomez....Virgil.... Robertson
.....................Fabinho......................
...............Ox..................... Wijnaldum.......
Salah..............Firmino........................Mane

Last edited:

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
A full week off, time to do more training on formations, shape, pressing, triggers etc. Looking forward to this v's their defence.

Status
Not open for further replies.