• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Pre-Match | LIVERPOOL vs Atlético | CL Round of 16 Second Leg | Wednesday March 11th | 20:00h | THIS IS ANFIELD (european nights - under the lights)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
CL back to back finalists and current holders, European Super Cup winners, Club World Cup winners and soon to be PL Champions - nobody can take that away from us but this game has to be treated like the biggest game since the CL final. Imagine it’s a final being played at home - that’s how the atmosphere should be.

Need ALL THE REDS from all over the world - at home, in the pubs, in front of TVs and keyboards, in the stadium - get behind the team like it was never done before.
Grab your scarf and/or your favorite red kit and show them your colors - not just today or on matchday - be prepared to keep it on until Thursday - no matter what the result turns out to be.

Can’t put in words how much I am buzzing for this game.

Told you guys months ago:
Klopp vs Simeone at Anfield - it not getting more intense.

We need to play like we did for most parts in Madrid, pushing them back but finding a way to shoot on target. And being careful with their counters and dead ball situations.
Belief and patience needed - it's not over even if it is 0-0 after 85 minutes.
Have to be more physical but not give away too many fouls. Keep your cool - we know they will be wasting time with every throw in.

My lineup (which won’t happen) would be

Adrian
TAA Matip VvD Robertson
AOC Fabinho Wijnaldum
Salah Firmino Mané​

Y.N.W.A.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
They are playing Sevilla atm. Important game for them in terms of Top4.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
If Hendo is back its Fabinho Gini and him. Robbo back at LB. No other changes.

If Hendo is out....

Ox
Keita
Lallana
Milner

I think its likely to be Lallana as he got minutes at the end. Thats my only odd reasoning to be honest.

Joe Gomez x

Wonder could we see Minamino in for Bobby? Can’t lie and say he’s hasn’t been poor the last few games. Surely Minamino wouldn’t be too much of a downgrade judging current form

Alright Now

CL back to back finalists and current holders, European Super Cup winners, Club World Cup winners and soon to be PL Champions - nobody can take that away from us but this game has to be treated like the biggest game since the CL final. Imagine it’s a final being played at home - that’s how the atmosphere should be.

Need ALL THE REDS from all over the world - at home, in the pubs, in front of TVs and keyboards, in the stadium - get behind the team like it was never done before.
Grab your scarf and/or your favorite red kit and show them your colors - not just today or on matchday - be prepared to keep it on until Thursday - no matter what the result turns out to be.

Can’t put in words how much I am buzzing for this game.

Told you guys months ago:
Klopp vs Simeone at Anfield - it not getting more intense.

We need to play like we did for most parts in Madrid, pushing them back but finding a way to shoot on target. And being careful with their counters and dead ball situations.
Belief and patience needed - it's not over even if it is 0-0 after 85 minutes.
Have to be more physical but not give away too many fouls. Keep your cool - we know they will be wasting time with every throw in.

My lineup (which won’t happen) would be

Adrian
TAA Matip VvD Robertson
AOC Fabinho Wijnaldum
Salah Firmino Mané​

Y.N.W.A.
Bold. I love it.

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
A tricky game this.
Already 1-0 down, where their goals are now worth double with the away goals rule, athletico Madrid are probably the worst team we could be facing.
We are still not playing with confidence either.

I’m going to go for 1-3 to madrid.

We will have to settle for the consolation prize that is the premier league title.

Ray_Chua

If we play like the Bouremouth game, we will be out after Wed night, I fear.
We are so lacking in creativity in our midfield......they just simply pass the balls from left to right and back again. Very few makes any penetrating runs these days.... Why? Hendo's absence? Really hope our captain is fit to play, at least as a sub, if not the full match.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
I don't really care about the CL this season honestly. I had only one thing in mind.

Having said that, we will still thrash them cos we are just.too.good.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
If Hendo is fit at least as a sub, I hope we will play Milner in place of him first 60 minutes or so. Milner is probably the closest to Hendo in terms of style and most importantly discipline, with the occasional over the top tackle of course. I still believe a midfield of Fabinho, Hendo and Gini is the reason why our full backs and forwards can attack with abandon because of the discipline of our midfield to cover.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
17/18 - 2W 5D 3L across all comps over a 7 week period in September/October

18/19 - 4W 5D 2L across all comps over an 8 week period from January to March

19/20 - 2W 3L over 2 1/2 weeks so far

We usually go on runs, whether that's wins, or draws/losses. I'm sure this has much more to do with the lull that came from the winter break that would have had the players reflecting on the season so far and absorb some of the media noise that the league was already won, no matter how much they tried to block it out.

But I also think we are in the poor form run that we inevitably have each season. I think we just need to be patient as the players always manage to dig themselves out of this form. But I think a strong result in the CL would speed up the process. In both the above examples, the turnarounds were in the CL (7-0 thrashing of Maribor and the Bayern away win). I still have Calderon's words in my head about our loss proving the strength of La Liga, and I'm certain he isn't in the minority of La Liga fans who think this.

Would love us to pull their pants down but I have a feeling they'll score a late away goal at 2-0 down on the night, completely against the run of play and then we'll dig out a winner in the last 5. Don't care how it's done. Just don't let it end here.

SirBillShankly

We live in a fallen world.
I would drop Fabinho, he's been hopeless and a complete liability since his return to the side.Would play Milner if Hendo's unavailable. Would also give Bobby a break.

This side should be able to get the job done.

2-0 Redmen.

....................Adrian...............
Trent..Gomez....Virg.... Robertson
.........Henderson/Milner........ ...
..........The Ox.... Wijnaldum
Minamino...... Salah............Mane

Last edited:

Redopium

Diego Simeone's decision to substitute Joao Felix was jeered by Atletico Madrid supporters on Saturday ahead of their Champions League return leg against Liverpool on Wednesday.

Felix was making his first start since January after picking up a leg injury and gave Atletico a 2-1 lead over Sevilla before the visitors levelled shortly before half-time. Game ended 2-2 .

peter roberts

On the Celtic Ray
Looks like Hendo is back , so it's nailed on for a midfield of Fab , Hendo and Gini.

I'd have liked to see us go 4-2-3-1 meself with Salah upfront and Minamino on the right. Maybe Klopp will switch it if we are struggling to break them down. If we are just relying on balls banged into the box from our fullbacks , then as someone very famous once said ; that's the definition of insanity.

The crowd needs to scare the wits out of these fuckers from the off , unnerve them into making mistakes and hopefully bag us an early goal.

This is going to be very heavy metal football. Hold tight ..... and come on the Reds !

RodM

I thought the European Cup win last year made up for missing out on the league. This year it could be the thing that stops our season petering out.

Atletico proved themselves to be shite merchants at their ground so I would like nothing more than to see them smashed to oblivion. I don't think that's going to happen and I think the key will be to keep a clean sheet.

I saw some hopefully signs on Saturday including Mané's thunderbolt from outside the box. That could be the difference - either scoring from distance or causing chaos with the rebound.

I think the crowd will have a big part to play. The ref in the first leg was an obvious home-blower. Now it's our turn to intimidate the bastards.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
The most important game of the season. We do our thing and win this one, and wow - what a remainder to the season.

I think Athletico are going to be tough - but after Bournemouth, we are starting to click back attacking wise - do still need to tighten up at the back.
This match is building up nicely.... fingers crossed.

nikz200

Urghhh, if the bastards come out and play us toe to toe i might be more confident, but Simeone is a preacher of the type of game that usually leads to our downfall. What concerns me has been Firmino and Fabinhos form lately. Both guys were vital to our run in the UCL last season, but this time for the last few games since the Athleti game they have been ..... ineffective. Could argue that this is the type of opponent and atmosphere Naby needs to perform, but then who knows. AOC also needs to step into gear, especially because Hendo was playing at a super high level till his injury and there has been significant drop off in our midfields effectiveness, bournemouth game included.

I mean no point in moaning too much, Adrian has a real task on his shoulders and our defence needs to be rock solid this time out. Of course the pre matters the most and winning it is important so this season regardless of this result has been good in that sense. It would be nice if we could remind everyone that we are european elite though.

in Midfield would like to try Fabinho,Gini and Keita. Or Fabinho Gini and Lallana.

Might also need to have a serious talk with Firmino or give Minamino a shot (highly unlikely)

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
We’ve thrown so much into the league - and rightly so - we’ve been fairly average so far in CL this season.
Hopefully we can turn this around . I’m just worried about Adrian, He’s looked well rusty in his 2 games so far. It’s not his fault but it makes you really appreciate Alisson. He makes makes everything look so easy whereas Adrian loves one for the cameras.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Would have Henderson as the #6 if he's fit. Fabinho can't stop a counter attack at the moment and that's how Atletico are going to try and pinch a goal, Henderson's covering ability and speed would be vital. His passing from that position has been exceptional too. I'd also be giving Naby a chance in the midfield, we need a player to commit the opposition midfielders rather than just spreading it out wide every time.

Not particularly confident of us progressing, we'll have to improve significantly for it to be the case. If we do play at our best I'm certain we can knock 3 or 4 past them. Their defensive efforts in the first leg were impressive but we were abysmal on the ball and they won't have the crowd behind them on wednesday.

We probably need to produce our best performance of the season to go through here. It's going to be nerve jangling either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.