Pre-Match: Liverpool vs Bayern | Champions League | Round of 16 | Anfield | Tuesday February 19th | 20:00h

Status
Not open for further replies.

GermanRed

Thank you @nobluff but i'm taking over for this one - don't worry i was unbeaten in homes games last season.

So after the break and another warm weather camp we'll host Bayern at Anfield for the first leg of the Champions League knockout stage. We played them in a pre season game in 2017 and beat them for the UEFA Supercup in 2001 but i think this is the first time since 1981 they come to Anfield. Not sure if Robben played at Anfield for Chelsea or Jerome Boateng for Cit - James Rodriguez (for Real) and Hummels (for Dortmund) are the only ones who got the chance already. I'm pretty sure many of their other players are looking forward to it as most of them are entering the final years of their careers and never got the chance.

While we are building a team for the future Bayern are some kind of an opposite with Neuer, Ulreich, Rafinha, Boateng, Hummels, Robben, Ribery and Lewandowski all older than 30. Our players are younger, faster and i'm pretty sure we cover much more distance than they are able to.

Some of you might know that i really don't like Bayern and i was waiting a long time for this game. Anything but a win would be shocking and i do believe there is a good chance we blow them out of Anfield.

I'm expecting Klopp to prefer

Alisson
TAA Matip Lovren (Fabinho) Robertson
Wijnaldum Henderson Milner
Salah Firmino Mané

Neuer, Süle, Alaba, Kimmich, Thiago, Goretzka and Lewandowski are probably guaranteed to start for them. Boateng, Hummels, Robben, Ribery and Rafinha will be pushing to also start in their most important game of the season.
Leon Goretzka probably their best player at the moment with 6 goals from midfield.

A fit Lovren would put Lewandowski in his pocket but i am a bit concerned now that he wasn't in the squad on saturday.

YNWA

FilthyBloke

Ooh why don’t you like Bayern?

Looking forward to this game. A proper big European match.

Personally I hope to see a Henderson Wijnandum keita midfield trio.
I think Wijnandum and keita are the best blend we have with Fabinho and Henderson rotating.

We should be able to outpace them and outrun them but they are a wily old team that are also serial winners, even if they lagging a bit domestically.

sms1986

Lovren might be back for Bayern, but nothing is known for sure yet.

I'm looking forward to playing Bayern, think we'll enjoy the challenge and hopefully beat them. The crowd will certainly play an important part.

Ooh why don’t you like Bayern?
Not sure if it's true, but Bayern aren't liked in most of Germany outside of Munich from what I've heard. GR might have more specific reasons, though.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
10 champs league title among the two, this has to be a giant of a match, usually. But not this season. I might even be as arrogant as saying I expect us to send them back to Germany planning their onslaught for the the Bundesliga title since they will be out of this competition by end of the month. Yeah I am that assured with this one.

Don't care who starts, saw their match against Schalke and they sucked even though they won. We should beat them comfortably.

Incognito

The Normal One
Alisson - Trent Lovren Matip Robertson - Fabinho Gini Hendo/ Keita - Salah Firmino Mane

The bold ones are the ones which may vary depending on fitness IMO. If Lovren is not fit, I would put Fab back there and the traditional Gini - Milner - Hendo midfield. Somehow I think without VVD and if Lovren is also unavailable, not playing Keita in this one and concentrating on not conceding an away goal is crucial.

However, if Lovren is back and Fab is in midfield, I would be tempted to go for the Keita-Fab-Gini midfield. Whatever the case is, the defense will need a good cover. Glad that this is at Anfield. The Kop should make up for the absence of VVD.

Let's thrash them like we did in European games in first leg last season so that they don't even stand a chance at their turf.

PS. League is important, but I would not have any one rested with United game in mind. This is as important as the league for me. The players are already resting enough IMO. No complacency and strongest line up please!!

Last edited:

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
If Lovren is fit he must start.
The midfield should be Fabinho, Gini and Keita. Their class showed on Saturday and all 3 have the ability to turn the ball to attack. Front 3 as usual, with Shaqiri or Hendo to come on depending on where the tie is at. Wont be over confident, European Giants raise their game in CL knockout matches.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
I also wouldn't be surprised if we went with our working, experienced, proven and solid midfield trio of last season here. Especially with that situation at CB. Might need more protection, while still provide that energy in both ways, try to bully and outrun their midfield. If Keita was in form, I'd fancy him as a key player like Thiago is for Bayern (Lewa and Thiago are my sole main worries going by their individuals, followed by probably Neuer still and Alaba down our weaker side), but he's still on the way towards that, certainly not there yet. But here, with us playing a 3 man midfield most probably, he could surprisingly have a slightly better chance than Fabinho (think we might keep him on the bench also if an injury occurs at CB, given that he's certainly next in line to play there if something happens to Lovren/Matip before or during the game).

Cologne-Liverpool

This current Bayern squad is probably the most vulnerable they have been for many years, although of course there's still enough individual quality to cause problems. Our offence should have fun with their defence though, I'm especially hoping for Hummels to start - while he's still capable of producing some nice precise long passes, he's a defensive liability, though Boateng is mostly a shadow of his former self too. I'm guessing Kovac will play this fairly cautious, aware of our superior pace and mobility. Will be interesting to see if Coman and Gnarbry get a chance, they're in much better form than the old guard, but then those have massive egos, that need to be pleased. Goretzka is in good form going forward, so we need to keep an eye on him, but of course Klopp will be more than aware of that.
I say we smash them at Anfield and then keep it cool in Munich.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
@Cologne-Liverpool , what's their team news like? Neuer looks like he will be fit, but any chance of other injured players apart from Tolisso (who will still be out)? They conceded a pretty weak goal against Schalke with James (I think) losing the ball centrally and getting hit on the counter. Though on the other side, of course we have to be careful with Lewa, he only needs one chance most of the time.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
I don't watch Bayern but looking at their midfield they look a bit slow and open to me. With that in mind, I'd be really disappointed to see us revert back to Henderson-Milner-Wijnaldum. Let's not hand them the initiative, lets play the players who can expose their lack of athleticism and work rate in there. The same midfield as Bournemouth has to play for me; Keita knows Bayern well and has had some success against them before, Gini's non-stop running will be a huge problem for them to contend with and Fabinho is quite simply our best defensive midfielder.

Our last 3 2-legged European ties were essentially won in the first leg with bold, attacking performances. Let's not be overly respectful to this aging Bayern side, let's do that all over again.

I think the result could be similar to the Roma home tie. With the crowd behind us and the pace and energy we'll have on the field we should be able to overrun them for large parts in the game.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
@Cologne-Liverpool , what's their team news like? Neuer looks like he will be fit, but any chance of other injured players apart from Tolisso (who will still be out)? They conceded a pretty weak goal against Schalke with James (I think) losing the ball centrally and getting hit on the counter. Though on the other side, of course we have to be careful with Lewa, he only needs one chance most of the time.
Ever since we got this draw, I downloaded some of their matches and watched this season and I must say they don't look as menacing as they were back in Ancelotti, Heynckes and of course Guardiola's days. They are quite disorganised and rather slow. I think Robben is still nursing a niggling injury. Of course they are no pushover, but we should not be too afraid of them at all. Lewandowski been a bit off in front of goal by his standard. Just the weekend he missed one glorious chance, about 6 yard from the goal. Very uncharacteristic of him, and this has been his season.

Cologne-Liverpool

Don't think Tolisso will be fit, Neuer apparently has a good chance though - which is a bit of a shame, was really hoping for Ulreich, he's always good for a stinker.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Yeah, Tolisso will be out until mid-March it seems. But Ribery and Robben, no chance?

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad.
Well, well, GermanRed, I'm not very happy with you.I feel like I have a big knife in my back. I go to work and when I'm there you start a pre match thread :unhappy: I feel betrayed.Thought you realised I had taken over from nobluff? :well done:

Anyway, can see only one winner here and it's not Bayern. Mane and Salah will be too quick and sharp for the ageing warhorse Hummels and the Panzer tank that is Sule. I predict a dominant 2-0 victory for our mighty Redmen.

This is the side I'd pick:

...................... Becker................
Trent.....Matip...... Lovren.... Robertson
........... Fabinho........ Wijnaldum............
.........................Keita...........................
Salah.............. Firmino...............Mane

Last edited:

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
I don't watch Bayern but looking at their midfield they look a bit slow and open to me. With that in mind, I'd be really disappointed to see us revert back to Henderson-Milner-Wijnaldum. Let's not hand them the initiative, lets play the players who can expose their lack of athleticism and work rate in there. The same midfield as Bournemouth has to play for me; Keita knows Bayern well and has had some success against them before, Gini's non-stop running will be a huge problem for them to contend with and Fabinho is quite simply our best defensive midfielder.

Our last 3 2-legged European ties were essentially won in the first leg with bold, attacking performances. Let's not be overly respectful to this aging Bayern side, let's do that all over again.

I think the result could be similar to the Roma home tie. With the crowd behind us and the pace and energy we'll have on the field we should be able to overrun them for large parts in the game.
I have a feeling Gini/Milner/Henderson will be wheeled out for the Utd game. For this I agree we need the same trio as Saturday. Fabinho has really arrived now. Superb player. Gini is just Gini and Keita is improving fast and needs an extended run. Hopefully Lovren will be back too.

Ljc1109

I really hope Lovren is back since VVD is suspended for this match. I think Fabinho brings so much to our midfield and I’d hate to have to drop him back with Matip. With that being said I’m really looking forward to this match- I think Bayern is going to show up strong even if their form hasn’t been the best this season. Let’s come out and batter them from the start and show them what we’re capable of!!

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
This one has a lot of goals written all over it, on both sides. Fingers crossed that we are the ones scoring the bigger part of them! We are the underdogs here, but can always dream about springing a surprise, who knows! :-)

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad.
This one has a lot of goals written all over it, on both sides. Fingers crossed that we are the ones scoring the bigger part of them! We are the underdogs here, but can always dream about springing a surprise, who knows! :-)
Underdogs? At Anfield. Really??? I really don't think so. We are faster, younger and impressive at home. Bayern aren't the team they were. Hope, you are SO.....Uber negative sometimes!

MW2833

Well, well, GermanRed, I'm not very happy with you.I feel like I have a big knife in my back. I go to work and when I'm there you start a pre match thread :unhappy: I feel betrayed.Thought you realised I had taken over from nobluff? :well done:

Anyway, can see only one winner here and it's not Bayern. Mane and Salah will be too quick and sharp for the ageing warhorse Hummels and the Panzer tank that is Sule. I predict a dominant 2-0 victory for our mighty Redmen.

This is the side I'd pick:

...................... Becker................
Trent.....Matip...... Virgil....... Robertson
........... Fabinho........ Wijnaldum............
.........................Keita...........................
Salah.............. Firmino...............Mane
VVD is amazing but I doubt he can play when he's been suspended.

belldiouf

TIA New Signing
Think this tie will be a real arm wrestle and I wouldn't be surprised to see it go to extra time and penalties. Huge question marks over the make up of our back four for the first leg. I think if we can keep them scoreless at Anfield then that will go a long way to progressing to the quarters. A 0 all draw wouldn't be bad as I back us to score in Munich. However, Matip next to an unfit Lovren or Fabinho covering doesn't fill me with confidence for a clean sheet.

Bayern have struggled at times this season, and notably against Leverkusen who play a fast tempo, high press type of football similar to us last season. They seem to manage with more patient build up styles, so I am hoping we go back to the full frontal assault that served us well previously.

Status
Not open for further replies.