• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Pre Match Liverpool vs Burnley (EPL 10/03/19 12:00)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
Here is a little haiku -

A banana skin
Must win match this is indeed
Most certainly is

Getting those cliches out of the way, Burnley are a tough team but we're at Anfield. Any win will of course do, we just need to not worry about the table but worry about getting three points.
I would be shocked if we don't play an attacking formation with Shaq in it for this one. Anfield plus playing what will be a very defensive unit will mean less defending necessary.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Cannot understand any notion of "dropping" Salah. He is second top goalscorer in the league, and posters would consider putting Origi on ahead of him? Baffling.

I would play the usual front 3, in whichever form. Usual current back 4. Fabinho and Gini, with Keita or Shaqiri in the role behind the 3.
These are all must win games now, so no Milner/Hendo combos in midfield, no Lallana/Origi/Sturridge substitutions.
Winning keeps the pressure on City.

donks

TIA First Team
This dropping Salah suggestion is absolute nonsense. Yes he missed 2 good chances Sunday but he was getting into the positions and for me in the last 2 games he is looking a lot sharper than he previously had been. That burst of speed is back and he just needs for one to go in and he could explode again. We need goals so lets not drop our most prolific attacker please.

We need 3 points badly here and we really need to start looking at goal difference aswell. Go for the jugular beat these and press home any advantage we get.

Keita surely comes back into the team, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Midfield of Fabinho, Keita and Milner.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
If he’s fit, you don’t drop Mo. Like sacking Ranieri when things got a little tricky after winning the league only Mo is currently second top scorer, lunacy.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
I was thinking of dropping Salah but you, or at least most of you, will be relieved to know that I will include him in the team. It would be foolish to have our best forward watching the game when we're playing Burnley FFS. Having said that, he really has to get back into form in this game - for his sake and ours.

Having said that, what @SirBillShankly said about Salah becoming predictable is spot on. Maybe a move back to the centre with Bobby behind and Shaqiri on the right. The rest of the midfield being Fabinho and Gini. Tough on Hendo but him and Fab in the same team just doesn't work and Fabinho is, In my humble, the better and more creative player.

Defense picks itself, even if Lovren is fit Matip deserves to start.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
But he botched both of them. The way he decided to open up his body for the first break and try to loop T-Rex while running the other direction was both rediculous and totally obvious. Not the finish of a man who has confidence, and therefore needs to open up opportunities to others to try and succeed

The break won’t hurt him, could probably use a rest
I don’t think he needs a rest. We’ve hardly played of late, and there is another week between Burnley and Everton.

He needs to relax, and not overthink these situations. I don’t think dropping him will help this.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
I don’t think he needs a rest. We’ve hardly played of late, and there is another week between Burnley and Everton.

He needs to relax, and not overthink these situations. I don’t think dropping him will help this.
Just needs a goal, then it all fits into place. Overthinking everything at the mo (pun not intended).

santana

Drop Salah? Brave move Aussielad and a big part of me agrees with you, he has become very predictable.Cuts inside and curls a lame shot straight at the keeper. However, I wouldn't drop him as he's class, what I would do though is play him centrally just behind Bobby, running from deep. Put Mane on the right and I'm sure we'll be firing once again.No more dropped points please lads.

Hopefully, this team will get us the 3 points:

.......................Becker....................
Arnold...Matip.....Van Dijk.... Robertson
...........Fabinho... Wijnaldum..................
Mane.............Salah...................Keita
.....................Firmino....................

2-0 Salah, Mane.
Salah.............Firmino...................Keita
.....................Mane....................

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Yeah I wouldn't drop Mo. He played well against Watford (they all did), got into chances against Everton and end product was missing. Our alternatives aren't great, Shaqiri is probably out of rhythm (needs to get some minutes off the bench again). Go back to our strongest team, no dropping Mo, no Origi and all that sort of thing.

Midfield Fabinho keeps his place at the base for me. Gini is an automatic starter at the moment. Then I'd pick between Milner (also did well against Watford) and Keita. Maybe lean towards Keita on the left of the midfield 3 and let Gini protect the right side. We might need the likes of Hendo and Milner against Bayern. Naby played maybe his best overall performance so far away at Burnley too.

Alisson
Trent Matip vDijk Robertson
Wijnaldum Fabinho Keita
Salah Firmino Mane

Subs: Mignolet, Henderson, Milner, Lallana, Shaqiri, Sturridge, Origi.​

belldiouf

TIA New Signing
I know Mo fluffed a couple of chances against Everton and hasn't been as clinical as he was last season, but he is still 2nd top scorer in the league and he was brilliant against Watford just a few days before. There is absolutely no way we drop him. I expect one of Keita or Shaqiri to come in for Henderson to add some creativity and drive to the attack. I also think Henderson will be rested for the Bayern match. I don't think either Keita or Shaqiri are the long term options for this role, but they are the best we have available and are good squad options. Firmino will be back for Origi.

I think we get back to winning ways with a solid 2-0 win and Mo back on the score sheet. City are also likely to make easy work of Watford at home. This wont be the week we reclaim 1st place if we are to reclaim it.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
@Alright Now @lfc.eddie @Mascot88

I understand where you are all coming from, but this is exactly the match where we CAN afford to rotate the squad a bit and Mo.can spend some time with the coaching staff on the sidelines getting a different look at the game

When around the 60min mark he can sub back in with a nit of fire in the belly and net #50

Just my opinion

Semmy

Ad-free Member
Cannot understand any notion of "dropping" Salah. He is second top goalscorer in the league, and posters would consider putting Origi on ahead of him? Baffling.

I would play the usual front 3, in whichever form. Usual current back 4. Fabinho and Gini, with Keita or Shaqiri in the role behind the 3.
These are all must win games now, so no Milner/Hendo combos in midfield, no Lallana/Origi/Sturridge substitutions.
Winning keeps the pressure on City.
Shaq hasn’t seen the pitch in weeks. Same with Keita. Give them a run out for 60 then bring on the regs

Alright Now

@Alright Now @lfc.eddie @Mascot88

I understand where you are all coming from, but this is exactly the match where we CAN afford to rotate the squad a bit and Mo.can spend some time with the coaching staff on the sidelines getting a different look at the game

When around the 60min mark he can sub back in with a nit of fire in the belly and net #50

Just my opinion
I struggle with this one, @Semmy . I could see your point if we are looking toward the Bayern match. But at the same time, I don’t think our schedule has been that heavy, great players play themselves into form (and Jurgen has demonstrated that in the past), and I’m not sure we have any games where we can afford to take risks any more. At this point, I don’t think we should be saving up Mo or any of our top players. Pedal to the metal—for me anyway.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Shaq hasn’t seen the pitch in weeks. Same with Keita. Give them a run out for 60 then bring on the regs
I would play either Shaqiri or Keita in front of Gini and Fabinho. Usual 3 up top. Your idea re Salah being benched makes no sense. Maybe if we were out of league and only chance was CL. But not now.

RedForever2014

We have to win but also take the midweek match into account.

I'd leave Henderson and Bobby out, playing Fab, Gini, Milner and Keita with Mo and Mane.

Despite the creativity issue, I'd then go Henderson, Fab and Gini in Munich, with Bobby, Mo and Mane up top.

Scott Jones

Blunt
Ad-free Member
If Henderson plays then i do hope one of our forwards knocks in the really piss easy opportunity that he supplies.

santana

you know Lukaku in man utd ?
a good striker can score goals but as a defender you not scared .. why ?
because he can not create the amosphere of fear like the deadly trio ( salah - firmino - mane )

Semmy

Ad-free Member
I would play either Shaqiri or Keita in front of Gini and Fabinho. Usual 3 up top. Your idea re Salah being benched makes no sense. Maybe if we were out of league and only chance was CL. But not now.
I am thinking about 1-2 midfield with Fab as the single deep man and Shaq and Keita as #8 & #10 respectively

Similar to 13/14 where we had Gerrard deep and Henderson & Phil shuttling.

santana

433 is the speed set because it is 3 lines depend on space to run and long shot while 4231 is the smart set with 4 lines depend on one step and short pass because there is no space so you need to do short smart pass .
i saw burnley team looks so heavy so slow team like running in mud and if you saw man utd you will discoverd that burnley is man utd mirror same slow movment so the speed set 433 is better to handle slow teams but because burnley is a defensive team
with 541 or 442 set then the smart set 4231 is .. better !
my selection
Alisson
TAA VVD Matip Robertson
Fabinho Gini
Salah Firmino Keita
Mane
try the smart calm play style !

Sweeting

I don't think we've conceded a meaningful/dangerous shot on target in about a month so conceding against this rabble would be very disappointing.

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
Every game is a cup final from now on... suggesting we can "rest" Salah for this is crazy..

I hate to see people assuming any game is a gimme. I read these opinions before United and Everton. Totally unrealistic. This is the most competitive league in the world...some people never seem to get that. I don't believe the manager will assume any one of the remaining games is going to be easy or even easier.

Last edited:

Dutch

Ad-free Member
Why would we rest players? We have not played that much in 2019. No need to rest players, play our best lineup with some creativity in midfield.

donks

TIA First Team
There should be no Liverpool player in need of any rest, we are not long off the back of 2 warm weather training breaks and we went out of both cups early. Fatigue cannot possibly be an issue for this squad.

Retro Helix

There should be no Liverpool player in need of any rest, we are not long off the back of 2 warm weather training breaks and we went out of both cups early. Fatigue cannot possibly be an issue for this squad.
The players need a rest from the warm weather training breaks coz it seems whenever they play a game after returning, it's like they playing together for the first time. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.