Pre Match Liverpool vs Burnley (EPL 10/03/19 12:00)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSweetSilverSong

I'd go with a midfield of Fabinho-Wijnaldum-Keita this game, and preserve Milner for the Bayern game. We'll need a bit more creativity from midfield to feed the front 3 and disrupt their narrow spaces, and I think Keita can provide that if he picks up where he left it from. Based on last game's performance I'd be ok with a Fabinho-Henderson-Keita midfield too, but I don't think Wijnaldum would repeat last game's performance - it's also a home game, where he usually shines.
I'd bring Shaq off the bench for this, regardless of whether we need someone to turn the game around or whether we're cruising, simply because if we're going to need him in the run in he needs to have minutes and he needs to show whether he'd be up for it and he needs to build confidence too (which I imagine isn't max-ed up). Could also be needed as a tactical change if Mo (who I'd still start on the right in the beginning) struggles on the right, we could shift to 4-2-3-1 with Firmino as 10, Shaq right and Mo moved centrally.
Come on reds, let's win this!!!

Limiescouse

Everyone is going on like we haven't routinely been dispatching teams like this all season and easily breaking down parked defences at Anfield. We've failed to score here twice, against defensive minded Bayern and City sides.

3-0 to the reds.
Both in games where the imperative not to lose was pretty damn big.

Red Eyes

You can't be serious?

Jurgen must be a gullible fellow if Lallana is still impressing him in training after 29 games and the player has offered absolutely sweet fuck-all when starting or as a sub.
Don’t they live opposite each other, and their wives are friends?

AL moans to Mrs AL about lack of game time
Mrs AL moans to Mrs JK
Mrs JK moans to JK
Like most husbands JK does whatever he needs to, to stop the moaning

boston red

Show me the Mane.
Salah gini and Robertson could rest for champions league

Alisson
Trent matip vvd milner
Fab keita
Shaq
Mane firmino origi
Palace dropped Burnley to 16th in the table, three points clear of Southampton and five ahead of Cardiff, so Sunday will be a battle - they are fighting for the right to stay in the premier league
And we are fighting for the title, time to show we want it, after another fruitless 0-0 game
hold the upper hand with 3 wins in the last 4 games home and away , the game was last seasons 1-1 draw at Anfield,
the correct attitude we should win easy ,he got to be clinical when presented ,Burnley will give us opportunities got to take them.
Com'on!

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Salah gini and Robertson could rest for champions league

Alisson
Trent matip vvd milner
Fab keita
Shaq
Mane firmino origi
Palace dropped Burnley to 16th in the table, three points clear of Southampton and five ahead of Cardiff, so Sunday will be a battle - they are fighting for the right to stay in the premier league
And we are fighting for the title, time to show we want it, after another fruitless 0-0 game
hold the upper hand with 3 wins in the last 4 games home and away , the game was last seasons 1-1 draw at Anfield,
the correct attitude we should win easy ,he got to be clinical when presented ,Burnley will give us opportunities got to take them.
Com'on!
Why does anyone need to rest? There is a league game to be won, and we need our best players on the pitch. Salah>Origi
Ergo, play Salah.

Lynch04

Smeg Head
League is priority, Big Ears can extend its vacation for another year as long as we win the League. By winning the league, we lift the burden of expectancy off the team. It allows us in the coming years to play without burden and the ‘what could have been’ mindset.
I personally would go strongest like up which in my opinion if fit (at present) is;

Allison
TAA
Matip
V ‘Rolls Royce’ VD
Robbo
Fabs
Gini
??
Salah
Firmino
Mane

Fabs and Gini have (touchwood) always looked good as a pairing. The 3rd man is a toss up between Milli and Hendo, however, i believe this is a game where Naby can be used to improve his link up/interaction/knowledge of his Role.

I wouldnt be dropping Salah, if anything this is the type of game that could give him that much needed confidence boost.

Libero

Salah.............Firmino...................Keita
.....................Mane....................
Like this, but Salah in the Middle, Mane on the right with Keita playing a more inside-left position opening up the flank for Robertson more. Need to utlise the left hand side more, we tend to do a lot of work on the right because of TAA and Salah but I feel when we have Bobby dropping inside left waiting for Robbo to overlap is where we are most dangerous with movement up top.

Midfield duo of Fabinho and Gini, back 5 picks itself.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
Everyone is going on like we haven't routinely been dispatching teams like this all season and easily breaking down parked defences at Anfield. We've failed to score here twice, against defensive minded Bayern and City sides.

3-0 to the reds.
I cant see us not winning this, albeit we'll have to work hard for it.

Way too much being made of not scoring against Utd, Bayern and the bitters.

We dont look close to conceding lately, and have rarely looked like not scoring at home.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
Here is a little haiku -

A banana skin
Must win match this is indeed
Most certainly is

Getting those cliches out of the way, Burnley are a tough team but we're at Anfield. Any win will of course do, we just need to not worry about the table but worry about getting three points.
Well, that saves me a post :rolleyes:

Oh, and the Mem says it's now all down to you @sms1986, if we don't win. :shocked:

RodM

What with "banana skins", "must wins", "shit smashing" and the like, isn't it time we started some new clichés on these forums?

How about this for a little aphorism:

"Look after the points and the table will look after itself."

Red Eyes

Full strength team
Guns a blazin
score two goals in first half
hand it over to Virg
It has to be this way.....guns a blazin

A loss in momentum isn’t something that you can hope goes away.

You have to seize the situation, be positive, be brave, wring the life out of anything that stands in your way and then stamp on it.

Get momentum back in this match, we will have it for the following match.

Fail to get it back in this match, the demons stay in your head for the following match and it’s really hard

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Right, time to move on from the disappointment of the derby draw and forget about the blue shower of shite for 6 months.

Next up, Burnley at home and after stuttering through Jan and Feb this has now turned into a must win. No room for sentiment or complacency and we need 11 players willing to smash through the proverbial brickwall.

Starting XI for me is

Alisson

TAA Matip VVD Robbo

Gini Fabinho Kieta

Shaq Bobby Mane

Back 5 pretty much picks itself, would normally have gone for Gomez, but Matip has been playing fine whilst Joe has been injured, so unless Joe is 100% fit again, I see no reason to change things.

Fab in midfield is pretty much the key to turning the cogs at the moment, so he can add the steal whilst giving Gini and Keita the licence to push on and get forward to help the attack more.

Up front, Salah needs to be dropped. He has not looked himself for a bit and could maybe do with benching. Plus Burnley will sit deep, so I think we will need the guile and craft of the little power cube to open up spaces for Bobby and Mane

NB - First time starting a Pre Match thread, so please be gentle :shocked: lol
Congrats on having the bollocks to start a pre-match thread. I don't agree with the idea of Salah being dropped though. His basic game is still very good. He just needs to remember how to do the putting the ball in the net bit. Trying too hard at the moment.

I am going to this one and the responsibility is weighing heavily on me. The focus will be on the crowd given how we've all been urged to get behind the lads the last two home games. It is all very well getting yourself up for a game under the lights or even a 3 PM on a Saturday but 12 noon on a Sunday will be a test. Last time I went to a noon kick-off was Fulham earlier this season and the atmosphere was so dead you could hear the players shouting to each other.

Hopefully we can all rise to the occasion. Show JK and the boys a bit of appreciation after all the stick they've been getting this week. It's still very much on if we can win the next two games and go into the international break top again. City will have a game in hand but the whole dynamic of the season will change then with them constantly playing catch up if we can keep winning. A season as good as this deserves a big finish.

Red over the water

First of all, we really need to win this one, and I think we will. We need three points to keep it tight at the top. Assuming Man City wins their easier fixtures, we have to be ready to pounce when they are tested in a few weeks. So a sequence of wins is needed on our end.

Second, I can’t stand Burnley. Usually I’d be pleased for a smaller club punching above their weight, but since they broke Gomez’s leg, and seemed to revel in it, they have gone right down in my estimation. Their manager has too. The husky-voiced ginger caveman! All we heard after that game, from both manager and player, was how the tackle on Gomez was a fair one.

I for one am not having that. When you do a sliding tackle in the wet, you run the risk of going through a player’s standing leg, and if that leg gets caught up as you wrap around it, it has nowhere to go and the lateral force keeps pushing as you slide, resulting in a break.

The more gentlemanly thing to say after the game, or after hearing news of the Gomez leg break, would be so sorry the player got hurt, we wish him a speedy recovery, etc. Even at that point you might throw in ‘our player is not a dirty player’ if you want to defend him a bit. But that’s not what happened. Both manager and player were adamant about the fairness of the tackle, and Dyche even had a pop at Klopp.

So... noted.

Now let’s hammer the six-fingered mutants!

Defence picks itself at the moment and Matip is doing well.
I would play the usual front three.
Midfield I would play Fabinho, Wijnaldum and Keita, assuming all are fit.

Get Shaqiri on at some point, hopefully when we have a two goal margin around the hour mark.
And Mo, just score a couple and get the whole 50-goal thing out of the way please!

Last edited:

Noo Noo

I wonder what Dyche has to say this time? If anyone remembers his post match rant the last time we played. Shame it went unheard.

We've lost only once to Burnely in the Premier League. They are a stubborn and gritty side that reflect their manager perfectly.

I think a win is necessary now, even just for the confidence boost that is much needed for the remainder of the run in.

Red Eyes

What with "banana skins", "must wins", "shit smashing" and the like, isn't it time we started some new clichés on these forums?

How about this for a little aphorism:

"Look after the points and the table will look after itself."
Yesterday is but today’s memory, and tomorrow is today’s dream.....and when you needeth points, smash the cunts ?

Red Eyes

Lawro going for a 2-0 home win.

I’d take that now...though being mindful that GD may come into play at some point, 4-0 in an ideal world

Show me the Mane

Don't think Salah will be dropped
he'll be getting a rest as he won't be travelling anywhere on the international break I am led to believe
He was very good in both the last two home games so I'd keep him in for this.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
he'll be getting a rest as he won't be travelling anywhere on the international break I am led to believe
The thing is I don't think Salah should be dropped to rest him, I think that he is possibly the wrong option with his pace against a defence that will not stray far from the 18 yard box. I believe we would be better looking for Shaq to use his creativity to open them up in the space between their midfield and defence.

Commando

Ad-free Member
We're at home and that's the difference,we have big beautiful stands to stop the wind more not like the bitters ground where there's nothing stopping the wind gushing through. :well done:
Come on now. The bitters constructed some lovely hoardings in the gaps at the park end stand. Painted them blue and everything. I for one think it looks lovely. I do worry though whenever the wind gets up. I imagine a load of blue painted ply board in Stanley Park.

Show me the Mane

The thing is I don't think Salah should be dropped to rest him, I think that he is possibly the wrong option with his pace against a defence that will not stray far from the 18 yard box. I believe we would be better looking for Shaq to use his creativity to open them up in the space between their midfield and defence.
I see your point but I don't think Klopp will leave him out
Personally I think Salah creates space for others as he is always doubled up on

Wilkored08

I don't want him dropped....I want him to mix it...drift from left to right....wander thru' the middle...confuse the buggers!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.