• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Pre-Match | Liverpool vs Chelsea | PL Matchday 37 | Wednesday July 22nd | 20:15h | Anfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Taking a break from my summer break because this is the moment we’ve been waiting for.

Alisson
TAA Gomez VvD Robertson
Wijnaldum Fabinho Keita
Salah Firmino Mané​

Y.N.W.A.

Alright Now

I credit @GermanRed with our huge points tally before lock down. I nominate him to lift the trophy for the injured Henderson on Wednesday.
I don’t disagree about @GermanRed pre lockdown. He reminded me of Hendo: showed up everyday, ran hard, led by example, generally brilliant. But then post lockdown, he pulled a Raheem and took a mid season holiday. So, in summary, I nominate myself for the trophy lift.

redaderry

I don’t disagree about @GermanRed pre lockdown. He reminded me of Hendo: showed up everyday, ran hard, led by example, generally brilliant. But then post lockdown, he pulled a Raheem and took a mid season holiday. So, in summary, I nominate myself for the trophy lift.
@GermanRed done all the heavy lifting and all the damage. You swanned in like a JT at a CL final ...

jaffod

I really, really want us to fuck these up. I know it would benefit the mancs but they'll probably qualify for CL anyway due to Leicester being shite.

These fucking chavs have knocked us out of so many domestic cups over the last 15 seasons plus a couple of CLs, also they stopped us qualifying back in the early 2000's by beating us on the last day. Throw in the Gerrard game in 2014 and it's pretty clear we owe these big time.

Hopefully the lads will want to finish the home campaign without losing for a 3rd season in a row - that would be some achievement. Also they surely don't want to be lifting the trophy on the back of another defeat. But they'll have to be on their game, these have everything to play for in this one, a win for them probably guarantees qualification.

Full strength and show professionalism, something I think we've lacked a bit since the re-start. There should be no lack of motivation in this one.

The chavs look good going forward but they can be got at defensively, they've conceded 8 in their last 3 aways at West Ham, Palace and Sheff. Utd.

Up the fucking reds!!

Dutch

Ad-free Member
Andre Marriner is the referee, I see a 1-1 on the horizon, anyhow what happens after the match is the most important.

jaffod

The presentation is a symbolic part of a seasons work.
Going unbeaten at Anfield for another season is much more symbolic going into next season. It causes nerves.
Even the great sides of the '70's and '80's didn't go 3 full seasons unbeaten at home, although they did play 2 extra games. Haven't checked back further but I think this is probably our longest unbeaten home run in terms of time, 3 years and 3 months as things stand.
As you say, it's something that will be on the opposition's minds going into the game.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Even the great sides of the '70's and '80's didn't go 3 full seasons unbeaten at home, although they did play 2 extra games. Haven't checked back further but I think this is probably our longest unbeaten home run in terms of time, 3 years and 3 months as things stand.
As you say, it's something that will be on the opposition's minds going into the game.
It’s one of those facts that I kinda knew, but when someone else points it out, it registers a bit more.

Phenomenal run.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
It’s one of those facts that I kinda knew, but when someone else points it out, it registers a bit more.

Phenomenal run.
We might get beat on Wednesday. That’s distinctly possible.

If that happens we should be applauding these lads, because three years unbeaten is simply phenomenal.

Runs come to an end. They have to.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
We might get beat on Wednesday. That’s distinctly possible.

If that happens we should be applauding these lads, because three years unbeaten is simply phenomenal.

Runs come to an end. They have to.
We might get besten in any game and much as we dislike it, thats the facts.
I think going another league campaign unbeaten at home is a huge factor in teams coming to Anfield.
We should be applauding the team, definitley. But for me the result of the match is much more important than the ceremony.
The league is won, and picking up the trophy in an empty Anfield is a bit unfair on the current team. It has to be, but football and maintaining good habits is important.

Zoran

Feels like we're in another period of extra games against Chelsea, but it's been a while since we played them. Had them in the cup early last season, then it was the Super Cup. Some close games it must be said. Hopefully they don't spoil the party this time like in 2014. Would love Keita to start, after he didn't against Arsenal (though we started really well before those mistakes, similar against City lately). Would love us to give them a good solid slap, remind where they are regardless of all their new signings and rumours.

Red over the water

It will be a hard game. Chelsea are a good team, and a new, younger team is emerging there too. They easily beat a resurgent Man Utd in the FA Cup and I would say Chelsea are the best of the rest after us and Man City.

With Man Cheaty overcoming their ban issues its a true top four now for CL, and there are three teams into two... Chelsea, Leicester, Man Utd. It’s touch and go who makes it (I fear Leicester will lose out) but the point is... Chelsea really need the win against us.

As for us, we’ve gone off the boil a bit since becoming champions. Great season, but we were so far ahead that it’s hard to be up for it in the same way since winning, and that shows with a few more errors and some iffy displays.

Ideally we focus, win well, and see that trophy lifted on the Kop.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
Sounds silly but we need a performance. We’ve been poor since just before the break and then the restart but I understand why.
The end of season has an odd feel. We won it so long ago, had a 3 month break and all our performances bar Palace since the restart have been poor by our standards.
Would love to see us win the last 2 games to End season on a winning run.

then...trophy time....

Eintrachtfan

The convinced one
Don’t know what to expect.
I’ve got the feeling a draw will do.
Chelsea are a decent side atm. Hopefully our unbeaten run will continue.

I must say I’ve never watched LFC-matches so relaxed since the title was sealed. No matter the outcome of the last two games, I’ll never get bothered.
Once corona is beaten we have a bigger fish to fry. I’m seriously pondering about a trip for the title-parade to Liverpool.

Last edited:

LaurazRed

Sounds silly but we need a performance. We’ve been poor since just before the break and then the restart but I understand why.
The end of season has an odd feel. We won it so long ago, had a 3 month break and all our performances bar Palace since the restart have been poor by our standards.
Would love to see us win the last 2 games to End season on a winning run.

then...trophy time....
I can't help but think back to lockdown and your post and you sounded so down at a possible null & void scenario (we all were!) that you said you'd give up on football and support Leyton Orient I'm so relieved for you. :) Enjoy tomorrow we all will.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
I can't help but think back to lockdown and your post and you sounded so down at a possible null & void scenario (we all were!) that you said you'd give up on football and support Leyton Orient I'm so relieved for you. :) Enjoy tomorrow we all will.
Yeah dark times! Thanks - been a long time coming. Its special for every fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.