PRE MATCH: Liverpool vs Crystal Palace (EPL), Saturday January 19th 2019, 15:00

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter
Liverpool's form for the last 5 games is the start of a colon cleanse, we are getting rid of that poison in the system - WWWLW - 12 points, 2 home wins, 2 away wins, 1 away loss, 3 clean sheets, 3 goals conceded, 13 goals scored. Liverpool are 1st in the EPL, 57 points and counting, 4 points clear, 16 league games to play.

Crystal Palace are 14th in the league, and their form for the last 5 games is all over the place - WDLWL - 7 points, 2 home losses, 1 home draw, 2 away wins. They have scored 7 goals while conceding 5. Crystal Palace have a goal difference of -8 (13th in the league), and currently have the joint 5th best defense in the EPL, at 28 goals conceded. They have scored 20, which is joint 16th in the league, and they are currently 4 points off the relegation zone.

Liverpool have a few new injury concerns. Trent Alexander-Arnold is out for 4 weeks, and Georginio Wijnaldum is also apparently struggling with a knee related problem. Joel Matip should return as he has already started training with the team. Crystal Palace might have an injury crisis related to keepers. The first choice keeper Vicente Guaita is most likely out of the game and so is Wayne Hennessey, the second choice keeper. The two keeper injuries are muscle related.

Liverpool won the reverse fixture 0-2 with our defense as the stand out performers. The front three were out of touch, like they have been during many games this season, yet we still keep on winning games. Liverpool were a goal up when they had a player sent off at the 75 minute mark. It took us till injury time to score the second goal. Virgil won the MOM award with over 50% of the vote, and there were not any close challengers . The game saw us with 63% of the possession, 16 shots vs 8, 6 shots on target vs 2, corners 7 vs 6, while also beating them in the foul count, us with 13 fouls to their 6. Crystal Palace's away form has been more impressive than their weak home form, with only 2 home wins verses 4 away wins. I expect us to play a much more attacking game than the reverse game, as our attack has improved since the start of the season.

I think the Liverpool lineup will be a bit easier to predict due to the injury problems, my first choice being:

Code:
               Alisson
Milner   Matip   Virgil   Robertson
          Henderson   Fabinho
        Shaqiri   Firmino   Mane
                 Salah
I can maybe see Keita in the middle as I think this is a game where he can shine. At home, not a huge amount of pressure.

Code:
               Alisson
Milner   Matip   Virgil   Robertson
             Fabinho
        Henderson  Keita 
      Salah   Firmino   Mane
I would like another cleansheet, with a us scoring 3, so 3-0 if my math is correct.

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Didnt used to dislike palace but recently realised I was in the same class at school as their owner Steve parish. He left school at 18 to work on building sites sites in Canary Wharf whilst I went to uni. He is now a multi millionaire owner of a football club whilst I drive a 20 year old merc.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Wouldn't surprise me if we see this:
Alisson
Milner Matip vDijk Robertson
Fabinho Henderson
Mane Firmino Keita
Salah

Subs: Mignolet, Hoever, Moreno, Camacho, Shaqiri, Sturridge, Origi.

Just think that Millie will require more protection/support from someone like Mane in front of him, in both ways. Klopp mentioned (I think after Burnley) something like RB is Millie's least favourite position to cover (but will do it if the team really needs it of course), which is probably the reason we never tried it after his LB spell when Trent broke through at RB and he needed support here & there. Shaqiri is in better form than Keita, but not everything is about form. Shaq could still well start in front of Millie if he gets certain instructions and trains well of course. Klopp mentioned something about Shaq needing to improve defensively and also sometimes the positions he takes up before trying that final/chipped pass he uses so much. As for our midfield structure, Klopp is still not using Fabinho as a single pivot in a midfield 3, at least not from the start. It happened only a few times at the end of games when we just had to see the game out. It will probably happen sooner or later, with him slowly improving, showing more solid displays both in midfield and defence. Until that happens and Fabinho passes that test in a few games, I don't see him yet as the single pivot in a midfield 3. But should be good to have him here at RCM to add extra protection to basically two "new" players on the right side of defence in Millie and Matip.

Incognito

The Normal One
Liked your signature @nobluff and excellent opening post yet again. :well done:

Agree with the line up @Zoran posted. My concern is the bench for this game and the only game changer would be one of Shaqiri/ Keita whoever doesn't play if it comes to that. I hope we wouldn't need to and are secured with a good lead, and see out the game with minimum fuss.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Milner worries me. He can play the position, and his effort is unquestionable, but the last few outings his legs have looked heavy. What compounds it is that of all of our midfielders, Wijnaldum is the one who seems to have the tactical discipline ingrained him to really diligently shield a side without compromising his game. Henderson is at his best when he doesn't appear to have specific instructions like that, and can just throw himself in defensively. I like the idea of Mane on that side, someone to match Zaha stride for stride.

Not quite as sure about starting Keita over Shaqiri, although I cannot recall Shaqiri on the left.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Lower main stand for this one.

We got to smash them, get back into that groove like Arsenal and Newcastle over xmas.... but not sure it'll be like that.
If we can win the next 3 or 4 games, the pressure really mounts on city - and they only need to slip up once or twice, and their threat could just end. I think Spurs are out of the reckoning.

Lets just go and do it. game at a time.

Red Eyes

Lower main stand for this one.

We got to smash them, get back into that groove like Arsenal and Newcastle over xmas.... but not sure it'll be like that.
If we can win the next 3 or 4 games, the pressure really mounts on city - and they only need to slip up once or twice, and their threat could just end. I think Spurs are out of the reckoning.

Lets just go and do it. game at a time.

at the moment they need all the reds with a black, and a couple of snookers

Redopium

Alisson, Milner, Matip, VVD, Robertson, Hendo, Fabinho, Gini/Keita, Mane, Firmino, Salah.
Hoever got red carded yesterday so will not be involved so Masterson will probably make the bench, we need to be professional and not take anything for granted, should be a comfortable win but city lost a couple they should have won. :celebrating::celebrating::celebrating:

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Alisson, Milner, Matip, VVD, Robertson, Hendo, Fabinho, Gini/Keita, Mane, Firmino, Salah.
Hoever got red carded yesterday so will not be involved so Masterson will probably make the bench, we need to be professional and not take anything for granted, should be a comfortable win but city lost a couple they should have won. :celebrating::celebrating::celebrating:
Does a U-xx red card have force for a league game? Usually suspensions have to be served at the level of competition at which they were incurred, with the sometimes perverse effect that a player remains eligible for a higher level - except where it is a 'from all football activities' suspension, such as Suarez served.

sms1986

Does a U-xx red card have force for a league game? Usually suspensions have to be served at the level of competition at which they were incurred, with the sometimes perverse effect that a player remains eligible for a higher level - except where it is a 'from all football activities' suspension, such as Suarez served.
No, Lallana got a red card in an U23 match either last season or the season before but was still eligible for the first team.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Corey Whelan is better than Masterson for my money and has actually played senior football. That said, Ki Jana Hoever won't be banned and I wouldn't expect any of them to be on the bench tomorrow regardless. I think Matip will start and Klopp would rather move Fabinho back there than use a kid.

Red Ted

The only time any of the kids will get used in the league/CL is if we are truly up shit creek which we ain't, even with the injuries we have.

In 2/3 weeks it'll be looking good with most of (if not all) the injured players back, in the meantime we should have more than enough to put Palace & Leicester away at Anfield.

Redopium

Not sure to be honest, I think they changed the rules last season, but what sms1986 said above about lallana is true then I'm probably wrong.

Red Eyes

Palace are fairly solid, and have a couple of gems in Zaha and in particular Wan-Bissaka who I think may destined for much bigger things.

They are inconsistent though, you never quite know which Palace is going to turn up.

Either way we should have too much for them at home, am going for a 3-1.

Given our injuries, if Matip is fit to start for me the main debate is between Shaq and Keita. If they were both playing full tilt it would a no contest, but with Keita only showing 50% of his potential at the moment I’d start with Shaq.

Richard88

With so few games the next couple of weeks this is probably the best point of the season to have a mini injury "crisis". The squad is easily deep enough to cope with one game per week.

Even if Trent and Wijnaldum are out, that's still a strong squad at home against Palace:

---------------------------- Alisson

Milner ----------- Matip --------- Van Dijk ------------- Robertson

----------------- Fabinho ------- Henderson -----------------------

Shaqiri ------------------- Firmino ---------------------------- Mané

----------------------------- Salah

Bench: Mignolet; Camacho, Moreno, Keita, Lallana, Sturridge, Origi

If Matip isn't fit yet, then drop Fabinho into CB again and play Keita in midfield - surely he'd be fine in CM at home against Palace. Another alternative would be to play Milner and Henderson in midfield with Camacho at RB, but that is far from ideal given how uncreative that pair are on the ball.

This could be the opportunity Keita has been waiting for. Still, a few days to go until the weekend so anything can change.

jaffod

Team more or less picks itself again, which is bad.

Jonathon Moss is the referee, which is bad.

3-0 to the reds.

sharkula

another must win game imho, man c seems to be hitting the strides and scoring goals for fun again
the decision to let clyne go on loan seems to be a poor one on hindsight now
with the injuries sustained by the various players , it seems like the lineup might be
milner at rb
central defence matip
midfield fabinho, henderson , shaqiri
3-0 home win !

Ben64

My view is that Clyne away is not really a bad thing. With Milner at right back, we are ‘forced’ to play a less defensive midfield. I really hate Milner, plus Henderson, plus Winaldum. They seem be passing to each other within 10 metre from the center circle; parking the bus in midfield. Ag Palace and Lster; come on!!!

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
My view is that Clyne away is not really a bad thing. With Milner at right back, we are ‘forced’ to play a less defensive midfield. I really hate Milner, plus Henderson, plus Winaldum. They seem be passing to each other within 10 metre from the center circle; parking the bus in midfield. Ag Palace and Lster; come on!!!
I don’t really want to be playing Milner at all right now.

He is the only member of our squad who has won a premier league, as well. I think we need him fresh and fit in the run in.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
I am pretty sure that Klopp and his team were comfortable with Clyne leaving, even with the injuries in defence.
Camacho is obviously moved up the pecking order, and is trusted if required. I cannot see the boss wringing his hands and rueing the decision. Way more organised and prepared than that.

donks

TIA First Team
Potential banana skin. Palace are always capable of raising their game and causing an upset and in Zaha and Townsend carry a potent threat on the break. We need to be at it Saturday from the off. Full weeks break/preparation so I expect a high tempo performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.