• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Pre-Match: Liverpool vs Everton (Sunday 5th, 13:30)

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

showmethemoney

Following the 2-2 draw earlier in the season, Liverpool will be looking to close the gap on our Merseyside rivals to just two points.

After this game we will have Fulham (A) & relegated QPR (H) left, where as our neighbours will have West Ham (H) & Chelsea (A) left to play, so it's entirely possible we could finish above them & that would be a nice note to end the season on.

But one game at a time and all that.

One thing is for sure, Liverpool will be buzzing following the complete & total annihilation of Newcastle United away at St. James Park.

Added to that we are at home, we should be confident of picking up a result.

Possible team?

Reina, Johnson, Enrique, Carragher, Agger, Lucas, Gerrard, Henderson, Downing, Coutinho, Sturridge.

Matt

Poor Scouser Tommy
Admin
Cant see anything but same team that started last match. Barring injuries it will be unchanged.

OhYaBeauty

That's the team I'd start with, but Johnson will undoubtedly start over Wisdom. I would really like to see some substitutions in this one, preferably a bit earlier than the subs we made against Newcastle. Fabio should come on, and then any other two from Suso, Sterling, Shelvey, Coady, and Morgan.

King Aldo

TIA Squad Member
I know I keep banging on about this and its probably becoming tiresome but I really am concerned about the state of our relationship with the FA overall.

We have spent the week, rightly, criticizing the FA for their handling of Luis but we have done that in a very public way. The last time we pissed them off we went an entire calendar year being treated like shite by every official in every game. We got 1 penalty, no offside decisions and our lads had to be almost savaged before we got a free kick in a dangerous area.

So my point is that if we are to win this game we are going to have to be ruthless in front of goal, very disciplined at the back and take all leeway for deciding the match out of the official's hands by battering them by a 3 goal margin.

I think we can do it, we were miles the better team at Goodison and were robbed of a perfectly good goal which would have had a huge bearing on us finishing above the bitters this season.

This game is gonna be a belter for more than the usual obvious reasons. Can't wait but a bit apprehensive at the same time.

S

showmethemoney

King Aldo said:
I know I keep banging on about this and its probably becoming tiresome but I really am concerned about the state of our relationship with the FA overall.

We have spent the week, rightly, criticizing the FA for their handling of Luis but we have done that in a very public way. The last time we pissed them off we went an entire calendar year being treated like shite by every official in every game. We got 1 penalty, no offside decisions and our lads had to be almost savaged before we got a free kick in a dangerous area.
Surely you're not suggesting the FA are institutionally corrupt are ya mate? Lol

I know exactly what you mean though. Its kinda the same way Luis was treated too. Should have got penaltys nigh on every game & yet not one for months.

Then Brendan attacked' the referees and we saw a flurry of pens for him.

The thing with the FA is, expect the unexpected & nothing more.

They'll do us no favours & to be honest we don't expect any. However it is a bit fucked up we can't expect impartiality & just good old fashioned fairness.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
No need to change, press them from the first minute and start with Coutinho in the #10 role so that he can connect players between the lines, if we have problems in midfield then shift Jordan back in there. Everton will surely put in a better performance than Newcastle (especially in midfield), they simply can't be that poor.

Reina​
Johnson Carragher Agger Enrique​
Lucas Gerrard​
Downing *Coutinho *Henderson​
Sturridge​
Subs: Jones, Skrtel, Wisdom, Coady, Shelvey, Suso, Borini.​

GratefulRed

TIA Reserve Team
Ad-free Member
After last weeks performance, the team picks itself. Hopefully they can replicate a similar performance. I worry about the directness of Everton, we have struggled a bit when we gave big strong center forwards running at our defense (Benteke and Lukaku have us a world of trouble) while Anichebe is not of the same standard as those two, he could give us some trouble if he starts with Fellani. Also I remember Kevin Mirales played a blinder against us unit he went off injured so we need to do a better job against him this time out.

I think/hope we just squeeze out a win here. 2-1. Gerard and Carragher with the goals :)

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
I'd go with three in midfield for this one: Lucas, Stevie and Hendo. The bitters are going to rough house as usual so we'll need to front up in the middle, because this is the type of match in which playing with just two there will get you owned.

Walker9009

One thing you should look out for in Everton's line up is whether Gibson is fit or not. Could really change the game that.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
If we do beat the Blues and finish up in 6th place, and City win the FA Cup, would we qualify for the Europa League or would Wigan? I do seem to remember some UEFA official in the past saying that there should not be any reward for losing a cup final.

Lucas

Like most I can't see a changed lineup, however, worried that we will get overrun in midfield.

Lucas said:
Like most I can't see a changed lineup, however, worried that we will get overrun in midfield.
We will have 3 midfielders playing. We won't get overrun. It's the crosses and set pieces I'm worried about.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
legalalien said:
If we do beat the Blues and finish up in 6th place, and City win the FA Cup, would we qualify for the Europa League or would Wigan? I do seem to remember some UEFA official in the past saying that there should not be any reward for losing a cup final.
City are already qualified for Europe (CL) so the runners up get awarded Europe this year so Wigan will be in the prestigous Europa next year.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Last Derby for Carragher and we need put the performance fit the farewell he deserves. So let's go out there and show that the Newcastle win is not a one off thing (although I know I would probably get disappointed). Nothing much to add since there is nothing to play for but pride.

kwala

TIA Regular
This will be an eye opener for Coutinho after last weekends performance. I expect Fellani to knock 7 barrels out of him early on. Hopefully he will get carded and spend the rest of the game on thin ice. Maybe swap Henderson and Coutinho over to have a bit more physicality in the middle, otherwise same again.

Would love Carra to get his last goal in this game. Hopefully the winner at the Kop End! Do dreams happen?

Libero

showmethemoney said:
Didn't know he was injured mate.
He has an ongoing shoulder injury that requires surgery does he not ?

Was pulled early against Newcastle so I was just wondering what the situation was.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I'll be hoping that the train wifi is up to this... :(

rupzzz

TIA Regular
kwala said:
This will be an eye opener for Coutinho after last weekends performance. I expect Fellaini to knock 7 barrels out of him early on. Hopefully he will get carded and spend the rest of the game on thin ice. Maybe swap Henderson and Coutinho over to have a bit more physicality in the middle, otherwise same again.

Would love Carra to get his last goal in this game. Hopefully the winner at the Kop End! Do dreams happen?
Definitely agree that this is going to be different to the match against Newcastle. He will definitely win a lot of fouls. I liked his role against Newcastle where I picked the ball up deeper and ran with it. He has enough skill to take 2-3 players out the game, whether through swift footwork or genius passing.

He needs a similar role on Sunday and needs Henderson, Sturridge and Downing working hard to create space that Coutinho can pass in to.

I'm really looking forward to this game. It doesn't have as much importance as previous matches against the Bitters, but it's going to be bouncing in Anfield following the 6-0 and a (ideally big) victory could give us a fighting chance at 6th which would be a bonus. Plus it's Carra's last derby - the team will want to win it for him also.

Unchanged line up for me.

Reina, Johnson, Carra, Agger, Enrique, Lucas, Gerrard, Henderson, Downing, Coutinho, Sturridge.

Subs: Jones, Skrtel, Shelvey, Suso, Borini, Wisdom, Coady.

Will we be seeing Sterling again this season??

pottymonster

I am one with the Force, the Force is with me.
Just remember guys: if we don't win 5-0 then it's not an accomplishment.

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
Cant wait for Sunday footie. Big oen with it being a chance to clsoe gap as well as Carragher's last derby. I reckon Anfield will be chomping at the bit and Team of Carraghers will be sang once or twice!!

Same team as Newcastle with Borini getting 15 minutes again to improve match fitness and maybe end his season on a high and some promise for next season.

Finishing sixth is possible so we should be fighting from the word go to get it....typical derby then so! I just wonder how Coutinho will fare against a few neanderthal tackles early on. He showed great aggression against Newcastle at the weekend but this will be a different kettle altogether. Maybe a possible impact sub in second half but considering this after being arguably our best playerin most of the last 10 games or so is hard to fathom.

YNWA, come on you redmen.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
I don't care what others might say, but if the team grinds out a 1-0 win, in the process, fighting for every ball, showing movements and showing desire, then it will be a very good accomplishment and moves us closer to going on top of them with just 2 games to go.

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
gasband said:
I don't care what others might say, but if the team grinds out a 1-0 win, in the process, fighting for every ball, showing movements and showing desire, then it will be a very good accomplishment and moves us closer to going on top of them with just 2 games to go.
I think we'd all take 38 1-0's next season gasband! haha

gasband

Ad-free Member
WellRedKev said:
I think we'd all take 38 1-0's next season gasband! haha
Dun think BR is the guy who will bring us that. He is good though for 36 1-0's and 2 1-1 draws.

nimitzz

TIA Reserve Team
these derbies are extremely physical... i fear for coutinho... but as gerrad said lets win it for carra!

gasband

Ad-free Member
nimitzz said:
these derbies are extremely physical... i fear for coutinho... but as gerrad said lets win it for carra!
He needs this as an induction then. Smaller players like him not necessarily be bullied out but they will have to learn the hard way and build on their upper body strength as time grows. Many smaller players like him has thrived.

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
gasband said:
Dun think BR is the guy who will bring us that. He is good though for 36 1-0's and 2 1-1 draws.
On a more serious note, less draws has to be the aim for next season, 12 draws already and a possible 2/3 more!

(Back to the game at hand!!) A carragher peno would be nice if we were 2 nil up or something!

Status
Not open for further replies.