• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Pre Match: Liverpool Vs Hull, New Years Day 3pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
And on to the next one. Hull City at home closes the Christmas fixtures and I would like to see the team line up like this.

Defence: Looks like Sakho is going to be out for a couple of months, which a great shame as he has been our best defender. This means we're back to Agger/Skrtel and the timidness in the air that characterises their partnership. Very tempted to play Toure on the right, but playing a new partnership is probably a step too far.

I would drop Johnson following a string of shocking performances - he just doesn't look like he can be arsed anymore, and that's unforgivable. McLoughlin deserves a chance on the right, and you might as well do it at home against Hull. Tell him a good performance will keep his place for Oldham and take it from there. Cissokho didn't look too bad against City, so I would recall him.

Midfield: We just about done to the bare bones in Midfield, following injury to Allen. I suspect Rodgers will play Moses, as he was unreliable for the Chelsea game, but I would rather see Alberto get a start. If he doesn't get in with Allen and Gerrard both injured, you would have to start questioning at the seven million quid he cost. Hopefully Henderson and Lucas are ok, or you're looking at Rossiter coming in for his first start, and that's hardly ideal. Besides the injury concerns, this is the kind of game where creativity is going to be so important, so Coutinho and Alberto might thrive.

Attack: The genius.

Considering that this is the third game in a week, I really wouldn't be surprised to see the team fly out of the blocks trying to build a league, before laying the second half at walking pace. We have to be really careful that we don't pick up anymore injuries at this stage.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Zoran said:
We'll batter them.
We look very tired though, Zoran - and I think Hull have had an extra days rest.

I think we'll win, but I doubt very much it will be the cricket score you'll see some predicting here, not least because if we do get a comfortable lead the players will probably take the opportunity to save energy and kill the game.

Urban Achiever

Any win will do... but we must also rememeber that in the last game, we had a horrible off-day and they got extremely lucky in the first part of the game.

But with 5 starters out we'll probably struggle :-(

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Gerrard was aiming to be back for this one - any updates on that?

Johnny T.

Still Grumpy....
This is vital. A win if any sorts going into the Cup break leaves us in a good position come the next few matches. Alberto must start, Coutinho and Johnson need to up the game a bit. 2-0, Suarez and Alberto

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Arminius said:
An all action cameo at 70 minutes would be nice - I'd like to think we'll break him back in gently rather than chucking him in.

okocha10

Football Master
For me this is the most important game of the season. This is crucial period, especially after these 2 defeats.
We have to win this and start another run, as we play Hull, Stoke, Villa, Everton and WBA in the next 5 games, 3 of them at home.

-------------------------------- Mignolet --------------------------------

--- Toure ------------ Skrtel ----------- Agger -------- Johnson ---

---------------- Henderson --------------- Lucas ---------------------

-------------------------------- Coutinho -------------------------------

---------- Sterling ----------------------------------- Moses ----------

--------------------------------- Suarez ---------------------------------

Subs: Jones, Kelly, Ilori, Alberto, Rossiter, Aspas, Ibe(If he is fit)

I just hope Hedno is ok.
Johnson is totally out of form, maybe moving him to the left side may help. At least he defends better there.
Kolo can cover RB spot, he is familiar with that position.

ps. Where is Wisdom when u need one.

Zoran

Arminius said:
The Echo just posted a pic of him in training this morning wearing the orange bib. Hopefully he will be fit to at least make the matchday squad. Having him from the start would be a lift of course. Plus, our set pieces without him have been poor to say the least.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
I'd imagine that Luis Alberto will get a look in, seeing that we're down to the bones. Rawness might win in a competition with tired legs right now, and Hull will no doubt defend in numbers so players with a bit of creativity will be needed.That just leaves us with Cou and Alberto right? The former will be as tired as every other first teamer, so enter Alberto!

Herb

Think we should go as full strength as possible considering the Oldham game follows this. Can rest up the likes of Henderson, Johnson, Skrtel etc who have played a lot lately.

Mignolet - Johnson, Skrtel, Agger, Cissokho - Lucas, Alberto, Henderson - Sterling, Suarez, Coutinho for me. If Gerrard is fit then I'd keep him on the bench and bring him on for Hendo at some point. This is a game where we really need to get 3 goals ahead for me to allow us to give some vital rest to certain players. It's a bit of worry Hull come here in ok form and with a manager who has done well here over the years. Think it will be a narrow win and a nervy finish but we will get over the line.

zagueiro

TIA Squad Member
Toure at RB is a decent shout..........Johnson is woefully out of form, or amybe use Johnson at LB where he seems to concentrate more?

God help us if either Lucas or Hendeson get injured...........

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Toure at RB is not a decent shout....we need pacey fullbacks who will overlap, otherwise we're impotent. Surely you noticed the fact the only joy we had against Chelsea was down the right hand side??? Due to having a proper RB and winger operating in tandem. Toure can do a job there but I'd rather have Johnson in there as he gets forward better than Toure ever does or has.

LiVeRp0oL89

A LOT more pressure on us in this game compared to the last two. We have to pick up points here with a threadbare squad that looks like it could get another injury at anytime.

Not expecting a classic by any means, a scrappy win with no injuries will do for me. I wouldn't be against Brendan playing a reserve side against Oldham a few days later either. We really should just put all our efforts towards top 4 this year. Give the main boys a good 10 days or so to rest up for the game at Stoke where we'll hopefully have Sturridge back along with Gerrard and possible new signings.

Anyways.. my team against Hull:

Mignolet

Kelly? / Ilori Toure Agger Johnson

Gerrard Lucas

Luis Alberto

Sterling Suarez Moses

Think Coutinho needs a rest, as with Henderson.. Skrtel should be dropped for a game also. If the games going tits up, bring the the first two on.

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if we dropped points here. A win would be a great way to end this shitty festive period.

Zoran

Giving a couple of chances, like Alberto a starting in midfield if Stevie can't start is okay, but suddenly changing a lot of things won't help us. Glen hasn't been playing well recently and he often suffers from playing full games in short spaces of time. But if he's fit on paper, play him and play the best possible side, we don't have anything better than that.

Mignolet​
Johnson Skrtel Agger Cissokho​
Gerrard Lucas Henderson​
Sterling Suarez Coutinho​
Subs: Jones, Toure, Smith, Rossiter, Alberto, Moses, Aspas.​

Arminius

FSG PR plant
LiVeRp0oL89 said:
Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if we dropped points here. A win would be a great way to end this shitty festive period.
Anything less than a win is a disaster. The table would look a lot better if we had done the business away to Hull, but we offset that unexpectedly with a win at Spurs. Dropping points at home to Hull will put us in a fight with ManU and Spurs for 5-6-7, at best in a four way fight for one CL spot and hoping for help to regain ground on the top three. That is one game away from crisis.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
Mignolet
Kelly Toure agger Cissokho
Gerrard Alberto
Aspas
Sterling. Suarez coutinho

Redragbull

Do not fancy a 250 mile round trip to get to the ground and £100 out of pocket to have to watch Moses for 90 minutes. Hope Alberto starts, but I'm guessing he doesn't trust him yet.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Zoran said:
We'll batter them.
It's very heartening to read this, mate, especially coming from you, as you have a fine nose for predictions.

But why do you believe this? Hull are on fire after their 6-0 win against Fulham, and they have given a right game to every top team this season as far as I can remember. I'd expect a very, very tough game for us, given our numerous injuries, tiredness etc.

What makes you so optimistic?

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Ad-free Member
Lizard said:
Save aspas and Moses for Oldham if others are fit for hull game
According to the main, Jordan will likely be fit, while Allen and Sakho are out.

I see Moses starting, but no Aspas. I feel bad for Aspas as he's clearly not working out....at least so far.

I'd guess our captain won't start, even if almost fit.

We, then, can't play with 3 strong midfielders cause we only have 2 fit (Lucas and Hendo), so I see us playing a true Brendan style to try to outscore the opposition, and whatever happens in the back, well....it won't matter if we score a few more than them.

Migno
Kolo Skrtel Agger
Johnson Lucas Hendo Moses
Sterling Genius Coutinho

shootscore

Mignolet

Johnson Skrtel Agger Cissokho

Lucas

Alberto Henderson

Coutinho

Suarez Aspas

ptt

2020, head of the table.
Mignolet

R McLaughin Skrtel Toure Cissokho

Agger

Gerrard/Alberto Henderson

Sterling Suarez Coutinho

A fair few changes I'll admit. It's interesting (to me) how only a few weeks ago I was defending GJ in the Bootroom and MY GOD I was wrong. He's been stinking like a pint of milk spilt on a Persian carpet in a hot dry tomb for weeks. Our only choices ar RB are Toure or Ryan. Toure (I love the guy) is never going to be an attacking RB so deply him where he's best, at CB. You all know what I think of Agger so won't repost here. Cissokho at LB is (hopefully) better than GJ. I'd like to see Alberto start (wouldn't we all after his silky performances so far) with Gerrard coming on at 60 minutes ish if fit. Hendo's a no brainer and the front 3 pick themselves.

With this team I'd expect a stellar performance from Ryan, Alberto and Cou with Sterling confusing the crap out of them and Suarez doing the iceberg on the Titanic routine......

Ripping the Hull to shreds.
That's copyright PTT by the way :)

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Came across a thought as to why smith got the nod ahead of Alberto.. Get rid of those first day nerves ready for a start against Hull...that's my completely unlikely theory...more likely we setup to counter dead balls again.

Redragbull

shootscore said:
Mignolet

Lucas

Alberto Henderson

Coutinho

Suarez Aspas
Like the look of this, but can't see him going for a 4-4-2 diamond somehow. Might be effective if they play three CB's

Zoran

Hope in your heart said:
It's very heartening to read this, mate, especially coming from you, as you have a fine nose for predictions.

But why do you believe this? Hull are on fire after their 6-0 win against Fulham, and they have given a right game to every top team this season as far as I can remember. I'd expect a very, very tough game for us, given our numerous injuries, tiredness etc.

What makes you so optimistic?
A part of me just wanted to give throw a bit of optimism, hopefully I don't jinx it again. lol

Away from home they're nothing special (true they have City a good game at the Etihad earlier in the season), I wouldn't read much into this 6-0 against Fulham. Fulham have been poor defensively and changed a couple of players for that game, a risk Meulensteen took full responsibility for and admited that it didn't work out well. Hull are well organized, good set pieces and strength with Huddlestone being key for them being able to keep the ball at times and link them.

I think it's good playing against them now: not long after the disappointing defeat at the KC so the players & Rodgers will know we can't make the same mistakes again and which ones. We're back at home again after 2 defeats, City being the game we can take positives from but the Chelsea one was disappointing and it's true that we looked a bit tired out there not being able to change the team in the last few games. But I'm confident that regardless of a few knocks we'll show character, go back to produce the type of performances we showed against this type of opposition in the past weeks. I'll go 3-0!

Shaun_Lfc5

TIA New Signing
shootscore said:
Mignolet

Lucas

Alberto Henderson

Coutinho

Suarez Aspas
I like the look of this. It's a good opportunity to give Alberto/Aspas/Cissokho a real chance to show what they can do. Johnson has been poor lately but if we stick with him im sure he will find he's form.

Upstate_Chad

TIA Youth Team
I suspect that given the injuries and the amount of energy expended the last 2 matches, we will return to a 5-3-2 formation. This will give the squad a chance to use as many fresh bodies as possible.

------------Mignolet
----Toure--Skrtel--Agger
Kelly-----------------------Cissohko
-------------Hendo
--------Alberto----Moses
-------Aspas-----Suarez

If/when we need to supplement the players on the pitch, Lucas, Gerrard, & Sterling are all available.

redandwhite3

Arsenal Fan Here in Peace
shootscore said:
Mignolet

Lucas

Alberto Henderson

Coutinho

Suarez Aspas
You need change few around . steling needs a rest. I think keep the same system. Won,t be easy vs hull as they know how to park the buss away from home and very physical team. only lost 2-0 at us, city and chelsea and just lost 1-0 at spurs. Suarez is the key to opening door on wedesday. Key is not giving them any hope by lossing sloppy goal.

Key is to grind this out. Can,t expect to batter these lot when you had two tough away games. keep it tight and be patient. suarez will be dangerous as always so bide your time. you done that well against west ham and cardiff but against better defence you need to do that on wedesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.