• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

PRE MATCH: Liverpool vs Leicester City (EPL), Wednesday January 30th 2019, 20:00

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter
Liverpool's form for the last 5 games is moving in the right direction, the scar is fading - WWLWW - 12 points, 3 home wins, 1 away win, 1 away loss, 2 clean sheets, 6 goals conceded, 15 goals scored. Liverpool are 1st in the EPL, 60 points and counting, 4 points clear, 15 league games to play.

Leicester is 9th in the league, and their form for the last 5 games shows more red than green - WLWLL - 6 points, 1 home win, 2 home losses, 1 away win, 1 away loss. They have scored 7 goals while conceding 8. Leicester have a goal difference of 0 (Joint 8th in the league), and currently have the joint 5th best defense in the EPL, at 29 goals conceded. They have scored 29, which is 11th in the league.

Liverpool seem to be getting over most of the injury concerns, with the only new potential injury to Fabinho, and there is minimal information on the extent. Milner is suspended for the game. Maguire is a doubt for Leicester.

Liverpool won the reverse fixture 1-2 with a performance that was effective yet uninspiring, and took us to a perfect start to the season. The victory was the first sight at Liverpool's ability to win when well short of your best. The game might be remembered for the first Alisson mistake of his Liverpool career which gave up a clean sheet, and his first goal conceded. Gomez crushed the MOM award with over 80% of the vote. The game statistics show a tight game, where Leicester won the possession (51% to 49%), shots (12 to 10) and shots on target (5 to 4), and had the same amount of corners as us (4 vs 4). We won the game and the foul count (9 to 12).

Leicester has a much more impressive away form than home form, with 17 points coming away from home. Liverpool doubled the amount of goals conceded in the last home game, with a uncharacteristically poor defensive play. We need to get back to a stingy defense. I don't think this is going to be a defensive game, yet its going to be difficult to guess what version of Leicester is going to show up. Liverpool need to be taking the game to them early on, control the game and deliver real goal scoring chances. Liverpool, and our opponents, have had 11 days to prepare for this game, so no excuses about being tired or rusty, just go out and do what you have been doing so well this season. We will play the game knowing what has happened, so it would be a nice if everything aligns so that we can put some distance between us and the chasing pack.

The main dilemma for this game is going to be right back, so I am guessing the lineup is going to look something like this:

Code:
               Alisson
Camacho  Matip   Virgil   Robertson
          Henderson   Gini
        Shaqiri   Firmino   Mane
                 Salah
or if Fabinho is fit enough

Code:
               Alisson
Fabinho    Matip   Virgil   Robertson
          Henderson   Gini
        Shaqiri   Firmino   Mane
                 Salah

I really want a Liverpool clean sheet and enough goals to enjoy the game stress free, so 5-0 will be extremely welcome.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I thought one of Trent or Gomez would be back for this.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
It’s a bit early for picking a team, but maybe this.

Alisson
Camacho Matip Van Dijk Robertson
Fabinho Wijnaldum
Mane Firmino Keita
Salah​

If Trent is available then he comes in for Camacho, and you can also then put Mane back on the Left and bring in Shaq in the right.

donks

TIA First Team
Leicester are another team similar to Palace that have a lot of pace and carry a big threat on the break. They will have learned a lot from Palace's performance and we need to make sure we don't make the same mistakes again. We have obvious problems at right back but I'd be hopeful Trent will be fit, wouldn't like to throw Camacho in for such an important game.

Gomez doesn't seem to be back yet so id expect Matip to partner VVD again. Think we will shore up the middle and play Fabinho, Gini and Hendo in there. 11 day break so id be expecting a high intensity performance.

We play after City for the next 2 games and that brings it's own pressures.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Has to be either Trent or Fabinho at RB. Not sure that we'd trust Camacho yet in a game like this from the start right now. Positive news with Fabinho, could be him. We'll see what's up with Trent, he could be needed depending on Gini. If Gini can't make it, then Fabinho is needed in midfield. If that's not an option, then we "have" to bring Keita in midfield. Other than that, our strongest individuals pick themselves, just potentially bring Shaqiri back in for Keita and put Mane back on the left. Lovren should also be fit to (at least) make the bench, Lallana too. We should have everyone apart from Ox and Gomez back in the next game or two at most. Gomez will hopefully be fit and in shape just about for that Bayern game (and hopefully manages to get playing time before that), he will be much needed in that one with Virgil missing. Still a good few days to go so we'll hear what they say.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Son of a bitch, this is going to be our second successive matches that we are about to play against a side that plays better away, than they do at their own ground. We need 3 points, don't matter the damn scorelline, just 3 points will do from here till 12th May 2019!

sms1986

Seems so far off, yet it's only next week. Hope we smash them!

Son of a bitch, this is going to be our second successive matches that we are about to play against a side that plays better away, than they do at their own ground. We need 3 points, don't matter the damn scorelline, just 3 points will do from here till 12th May 2019!
Looking at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_Leicester_City_F.C._season, there's barely a difference - both home and away they've lost five, at home they've won 4 and away they've won 5. Their away GD is also slightly worse.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
Going to be in Buenos Aires on 30th. Long shot I guess but anyone know if they show EPL games over there?

jaffod

At least Fab is , and I wouldn't have him in at RB neither , he's far too valuable now to our midfield. Stick young Camacho in there instead.
I'd rather have Brazil's right-back at right-back rather than an untested kid and have Henderson and Gini as the pivot.

Show me the Mane

They are a bit like Palace to a degree in using the counter attack which works better away from home most times as home sides are more likely to commit to more attacking play. The good news is that opposed to Zaha out wide their main speed threat is Vardy who will be down the middle and who will be found in Van Dijk's pocket after the game.

C

Caradoc

Going to be in Buenos Aires on 30th. Long shot I guess but anyone know if they show EPL games over there?

Try contacting official Liverpool Supporters Club, Buenos Aires ....

Facebook: https://en-gb.facebook.com/lfcbaOFFICIAL/

Apparently they meet up at Chicken Bros for matches!

http://thechickenbros.com/

Facebook: https://en-gb.facebook.com/ChickenBros/

Lovely city BA but do watch yourself especially after dark or down side streets.

When I last used BA airport, we went through a semi-circular enclosed area before you reach the outer arrival area proper. You book your taxi there, wait and somebody comes and gets you and takes you to the taxi. That was 15 years ago but it was the safe way to travel from the airport by taxi. Hopefully that system is still in operation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ben64

Spurs bottled again!! Lol!! Yes, Pinocchio, for you to win anything is a miracle. Just shut the fk up and focus on your own club. Prick!

Perth Red

Rolling with crocs in Darwin
I expect Leicester to set up with a 4-4-1-1, Gray behind Vardy and 8 behind the ball. Don't expect our full/wingbacks to have too much defending to do so would probably give Camacho the opportunity to show what he can do if Trent isn't available.
Maddison needs to be shut down in the middle so would hope we can go with Fab, Gini and Hendo in the middle so we can control the game and look to unlock them. Would love to see Shaq-Attack and Bobby behind Mo, give Mane a chance to rediscover his form with some watching time. Unleash him when Leicester get tired of chasing shadows all game!

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Strange feeling to play on a wednesday night after a 10 day break and then monday night.

[email protected]

To be honest I have the heebie jeebies about this one. I remember quite well the last time we played Leicester in Jan/Feb after a spell of warm weather training thanks to a break in the fixtures. Granted, that was away and we still had the old suspects in defence and goal, but still.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
It feels like the run-in has started already but we're only just over halfway through the season. I am tempted to say that any win will do here but I really don't want another 4-3. I didn't enjoy that much. In fact it was horrendous. No way I want another 15 games like that.

Leicester are one of those teams that you can't trust to be good, bad or indifferent. Beat City and Chelsea. Lost to Cardiff and Southampton. Their form is all over the place, but they do like a counter-attack and have players who can hurt us.

How this goes will depend on whether the Palace game was a mad one-off or the first sign that we're feeling the pressure a bit. Certainly it was our least composed performance for a long time. It will definitely help if Rafa can do us and himself a favour 24 hours before our game kicks off.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
To be honest I have the heebie jeebies about this one. I remember quite well the last time we played Leicester in Jan/Feb after a spell of warm weather training thanks to a break in the fixtures. Granted, that was away and we still had the old suspects in defence and goal, but still.
Just as with Aguero, it feels like Vardy is one of those players almost guaranteed a goal against us.

I'm always a bit dubious about the first game back after one of these training camps - I'm sure they serve a useful purpose generally, but always feels like our next game following one sees us playing really sluggishly.

Hopefully we can defy both those for this one.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
I'm always a bit dubious about the first game back after one of these training camps - I'm sure they serve a useful purpose generally, but always feels like our next game following one sees us playing really sluggishly
I had that feeling as well but turns out it's not actually right or at least doesn't apply to last season. We went to Dubai last year just after the FA Cup win against Everton. First game back was the 4-3 against City, probably our least sluggish performance of the entire season. We also went to Marbella in February, just after the CL Porto win. First game back we beat West Ham 4-1.

Flobs

FADA
Lovely city BA but do watch yourself especially after dark or down side streets.
As my Gran always said 'Use the toilets provided in the pub then you don't have a need of side streets'. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.