PRE MATCH: Liverpool vs Manchester United, EPL Sat 14 Oct, 12:30 BST

Discussion in 'Match Days' started by Jase, Oct 8, 2017.

?

Result

1. Win

54.6%
  2. Draw

21.6%
  3. Loss

23.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

Hopefully we get that balance right between taking risks (which we probably will from the start, at least more than them) and being careful with their transition of power and pace. On paper, they do have the right tools to hurt our backline; Rashford's pace against Gomez (probably, with Trent starting in Maribor), Mata (a responsible player) cutting inside in that pocket behind our LCM and between Lovren and Moreno (with Valencia supporting, hopefully Coutinho forces them to tighten up, Herrera will probably look to block him), Mkhitaryan (fantastic so far this season) connecting their double pivot and the rest. I guess Wijnaldum gets that LCM role and Can goes at RCM up against Matic. 2 very frustrating games last season, first one especially, but the ref blocked our win at Old Trafford.

2. S_J_R

S_J_R New Member

Does nobody else think Milner would be a better shout at left back? In this time of dodgy results etc.

He was one of our better players last year, he links up well with Coutinho on the left and can help prevent our attacks being sporadic random failed attempts, in favour of probing, possession based attacks.

costared and BostonMick like this.
  3. MarlboroMan

MarlboroMan Vertrauen Sie mir

Apprehensive about this one unlike last season but games against Mourinho are always tight affairs that tend to go either way depending on luck at crucial times. Rather we kept things tight at the back and force them to come at us and hit them on the break.

Mignolet

Gomez.....Matip.....Lovren.....Moreno

Henderson

Can..........Gini

Salah.....Firmino.....Coutinho

We might have to change things up in the 2nd half like Ox for either Coutinho or Gini depending on the situation and Solanke on for Firmino. I would like to see Solanke get a few starts but I don't think this is the match for his first start. Maybe we might see Coutinho play more centrally in a diamond midfield with Bobby and Mo tighter together down the middle.

Key battles will be:

Matip vs Lukaku
    Gomez vs Rashford
    Mata vs Moreno
    Can vs Matic
    Salah vs Young
    Coutinho vs Valencia

4. Zoran

Zoran Fighting like beavers.

[​IMG]

Sturridge in boots from 2014... he really hopes. lol

Red_Jedi and Klopptinho like this.
  5. cynicaloldgit

cynicaloldgit Well-Known Member

Can't he find his Advantage card?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    treboeth likes this.
  6. El Dorado

El Dorado Shakin' and stirred

I know it'll never happen, but I'd opt for something conservative from the start.

Migs

Gomez....Can....Matip....Lovren....Robertson

Hendo.....Milner

Coutinho

Salah....Firmino

Strength at the back, creativity at the front supported by advancing wingbacks. Stay strong and balanced. Frustrate. Counter attack swiftly.

indianaredman96 likes this.
  7. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Blunt

Not a fan of parking the bus myself as i'd rather go out all guns blazing than play defensive,

treboeth, Alright Now and Livvy like this.
  8. Tole

Tole Banned Users

Why? We should be preparing to win important matches, not entertain neutrals by scoring 3 and conceding 4.

9. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Blunt

Because we're shit at defending and our forwards and attacking football is our best option,by far.

10. Tole

Tole Banned Users

So if we're shit at defending don't you think we should protect our shoddy defense by playing conservatively? Playing at full attacking pelt just exposes our weaknesses more. Besides, our attack is anemic and has been for 6 weeks or more.

11. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Blunt

I'm aware of what you're saying but i'd rather go out all guns blazing and not with our tail between our legs,

treboeth likes this.
  12. shachart

shachart Our greatest win

Mourinho's sides allways like to sit back, close the game, and hit you on the counter. Especially playing away. His sides don't play nice attractive football but very effective. Possession will mean nothing.

He will target our right side, both Gomez and TAA are inexperienced and have struggled against fast wingers. I will give TAA the nod.
    Against popular opinion, Matip has been shite since the begining of the season. We don't need him to carry the ball for this one and leave acres of space behind him. I would go with Lovren and Klavan, this is old style English football, they will do.
    Midfield - Hendo, Gini and OX. Can tends to fall asleep in set pieces and that is a big concern playing a Mourinho side.
    Phil,Bobby and Salah up front.

treboeth, Tole and Scott Jones like this.
  13. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

With those two in midfield you can almost certain that parking the bus would be their way to go, and hoofville football is going to be their attacking style.

14. shachart

shachart Our greatest win

Park the bus - yes, Hoofville - no.
    They would keep the ball on the sides, that way than can play tight defensively on either wing, even if they lose possession it will be harder for us to switch sides and create gaps. It will also play to their stregth against us, targeting our full backs.
    Btw, that is exactly what he did back in 2014 to lose the title.

15. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Long diagonals for Rashford and co to chase it down, and then cross it over to Lukaku is as much of a hoofville tactic as it is with Hodgson style big forward knocking it down to his partners. So yes, you are right that they would exploit our fullbacks, but not playing the ball on the ground as they know it would get cut off just as easily by our players as it would by their Matic and Herrera when we attack them.

16. Semmy

Semmy walk on...walk...on...

First time in a few years I have been worried the Mancs would overrun us.

I believe Klopp will play his strongest squad, but no idea how he will line the boys up. So here's a guess

Migs
    Gomez Matip Lovren Robbo
    Çan Hendo Wij
    Salah Bobby Coutinho

Come on you Reds

17. 1dragon

1dragon TIA Regular

I think the line up is pretty fixed for both sides. The only doubt for us is whether TAA or Gomez will start (I think it will be Gomez). For them, it will be Blind or another LB at the left back position. Would like to see Klopp throw in a curve ball and start Solanke, but doubt that it will happen.

All I ask from our team is that they give 100% from start to finish. No passengers, no giving up whether we are 2-0 down or 5-0 up.

We are due some up turn in luck and form, hopefully it starts from this match.

18. costared

costared TIA Reserve Team

Hoping Wijnaldum and Moreno start on the bench. Would not object to Milner playing either LB or MF and would give the Ox another chance before picking the frequently disappearing Wijnaldum. Everyone knows what a battle this will be, let´s just hope Klopp has a game plan that works.

19. Dane

Dane IN SUPPORT

Unfortunately, I can see the 'Klopp out' bandwagon gaining momentum around 1430 tomorrow.

Think I'll avoid this place for a while.

treboeth, lfc.eddie and Red_Jedi like this.
  20. Red_Jedi

Red_Jedi Anfield kick about

I get the feeling that Mourinho will be more weary of us - he knows that its only a matter of time before it all clicks for us - but also knows that our defence can crumble when placed under some pressure.

Klopp needs to get the players focused but also relaxed (sometimes too tense can work against them).

Need that special atmosphere, we have the King Kenny stand to shout about - and need to put the scum back where they belong.... Next few matches are critical for us.

Im backing Klopp no matter what happens this season, but such is life for managers they don't get the space and time anymore.. just how it is.

Maria and treboeth like this.
  21. peter roberts

peter roberts Fuck the system

I'm fucking dreading this game to be perfectly honest. Our defence is just too shit and Mourinho too wily not to expose it. Anything other than a win means , realistically , we will be spending the rest of the season just scrabbling to somehow make fourth place.

Come on Reds and prove me wrong. Let's do these bastards.

treboeth likes this.
  22. Noo Noo

Noo Noo Well-Known Member

I share your concern to be honest. Our weakness at the back plays right into Mourinho's hands. Tight at the back and break quickly. I fully expect us to have more possession and there will be a big question on what we do with it.

peter roberts and LaurazRed like this.
  23. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

4 WAYS MANE COULD STILL PLAY AGAINST MAN UTD

Klopptinho, Red_Jedi and treboeth like this.
  24. Billy Biskix

Billy Biskix TIA Youth Team Valued Member

So last week I was walking through Belgravia (posh bit of London) with a work colleague, Adam, and I saw Jose Mourinho coming towards us, engrossed in his mobile phone. I told Adam that Jose Mourinho was walking towards us and he just shrugged which amazed and amused me because I just knew Jose would be fuming at the thought that there was someone in the world who didn't know who the fuck he was.

Anyway, Mourinho is still walking directly towards us, staring at the screen of his phone, and I'm determined not to let him pass hoping that he would have to step into the road and be mowed down by a Bus (an appropriate way for him to go) or a black cab driver, something which barely half an hour earlier had almost happened to me (Entirely my fault and thanks to the black cab driver for swerving to avoid me. Fuck, if it had been an Uber I'd be dead by now).

By now Jose's right on us, not deviating at all or looking up and a direct hit is inevitable. I'm bracing myself for contact and then, at the last second, Adam steps into the road and allows him to pass between us. Mourinho doesn't look up, even has the cheek to brush against my coat on the way through without as much as an 'excuse me'. It occurs to me I should stop and shout 'Oi Mourinho, watch where you're fucking going!' but then I remembered I was 52 years old and long past that sort of thing so I just gave him a hard stare which he couldn't see as he had his back to me.

True story but what does this have to do with the match? Well, if I had been Lovren and Adam had been Matip then I would have been on one side of the street and Adam would have been on the other and Jose would have had no trouble getting in between us. So I am shitting the bed about our defence in the run up to this game. But we are due a performance, a result and, above all, a bit of luck. Hopefully it will all come together tomorrow.

25. KCollins

KCollins Well-Known Member

I've the same view. This season for me is a write off because we've done nothing to address the defensive issue, but I'm putting this down as a season for Klopp to really take stock of the situation and rectify it in the next few windows. Keita next summer will be a huge injection of quality into what is often a stagnant central midfield. Get the right defensive players along with him and we will be going places.

Think it will be low scoring tomorrow. Mourinho plays ultra defensive against the top six sides away from home so it will be very difficult to break them down, while they will look to pick us off on the break. Can see them nicking it 1-0. If we had our full strength attack with Lallana and Mane I'd see us out scoring them, but if it's a midfield three of Can, Hendo and Wij we lack anyone in there to open up a tight defensive unit. Would definitely have Coutinho play in the midfield three for that reason. No point having a really good front three if they don't get the service into them.

Red_Jedi likes this.
  26. redaderry

redaderry Well-Known Member

Have you discussed this with Jurgen yet? :-)

Klopptinho and Red_Jedi like this.
  27. El Dorado

El Dorado Shakin' and stirred

Very important not to concede first in this match. United have only conceded twice all campaign. Guns ablazin', we might get lucky and net the first goal, but we also might easily concede first. If we do, I think it's vey difficult to unlock Mourinho's side. Better to be patient in this match and mind our own defense. We'll get our chance at goal by and by.

Scott Jones and Red_Jedi like this.
  28. Red_Jedi

Red_Jedi Anfield kick about

I really like this episode - but what I want to know is how it would go if you were Jurgen, and your mate Adam was Keita, then what would have happened?

Alright Now, treboeth and Klopptinho like this.
  29. Klopptinho

Klopptinho Well-Known Member

slap across the face .

Red_Jedi, Alright Now and treboeth like this.
  30. Bodger

Bodger Well-Known Member

i hate the 12:30 kick offs- determines my mood for the rest of the weekend. Being realistic, we'll do well to get points out of this. Not being negative, they just look very good this season.

I'm absolutely loving all the clips of Kuyt's hattrick popping up on LFC social media. All three goals were scored from a combined yardage of about 10 yards- absolutely love it. If there's a stat that sums up Kuyt it's that one. I loved him as red, and still do. What a man- what I'd do for a kuyt style player in the team now...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.