• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

PRE MATCH: Liverpool vs Manchester United (EPL), Sunday December 16th 2018, 16:00

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alright Now

SACKED IN THE MORNING YOU'RE GETTING SACKED IN THE MORNING...

On current form we should absolutely trash them but Mourinho always finds a way to frustrate us (and i have the feeling that will happen again).

Finally a win in the league against United under Klopp would be huge in terms of our title race. Klopp needs to get Salah, Mané, Firmino, Keita and Shaqiri together on the pitch.
Given the emotions involved in this one (especially with me in the Kop), I wonder if Jurgen rolls with the tested and winning midfield of Millie, Hendo, and Gini again. Although I suspect we may need Naby to dance through the bus.

I have no idea. Let’s just get the festivities started...

Foldy

We need to batter them, we have to batter them, if we're serious about the title then we can't afford to look at a fixture like this and hope to scrape through or get a draw. We shouldn't be frightened of them anymore, they're coming to Anfield and believe me Jose will be thinking he can get a result out of us, he'll play for a draw but we must have the 3 points to keep the pressure on City. For me Keita has to start and keep pumping forward, their back foui are shite and we need to lay on a f**king onslaught from the off. If Utd gain possession they'll just wind the clock down, bullshit tactics and Jose thinking he's the shit for using a 90 million attacking midfielder in a holding role. To lose this is unthinkable. A MUST WIN. I want to see Gary Neville fuming!!!!

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
This the the only fixture, and its return leg, that I have dreaded all season. Just like us in the reverse in the 90-00's, this is their cup final these days. You can completely disregard any footage of their games you've seen this year (masochist) because none will be similar to how they play on the weekend.

I mentioned a few times before the season and before we purchased Fab that aerial dominance in midfield in our team was a very serious issue, and I had United games in mind. Fab is ideal for this fixture. I just hope it's not as a RB but as a DM where he really is needed.

Lineup, 3 of the back 4 pick themselves. In the middle, Klopp is often ok with giving 2 games in a row with a midweek game but not often 3. Gini will be on the bench given he's on back to back 90's.

There are so many combos with our midfield given we don't know the status of Milly or TAA ( who would affect Fab).

If TAA is fit, I hope we go for a more solid defence in midfield playing a 4213 with Hendo and Fab as the pair and Shaq in front. Hendo played limited mins last w/e so I think he'll start.

Last year United really isolated TAA. Having a deep midfield pair gives us more defensive width to allow Fab to help cover Rashford. They really reaped the benefits last time of drawing our CBs out (due to lack of midfield height) and allowing to run into the space behind after the fallen ball. Our midfield need to really be aware of that.

Dislike this fixture. They are an awful team that love to put a show on especially for us.

Redopium

I'm only worried about Klopp's record as Liverpool manager against Mourinho and he hasn't beaten him yet.
There's always a first-time for everything, 1-0 win a Carlton Pogba og would be lovely.

RazvanLFC

I'm never confident about having them at Anfield like I was when they were under Ferguson. And Moyes. Even though they are bad they seem to be getting something right against us. De Gea helped them a lot in these fixtures, but take a look at the last 10 games in the premier league.

It's been FIVE years since we won against them at Anfield in the league and I am not getting overly excited, because we have a great season.

01 Sep 2013 Liverpool v Manchester United 1-0
16 Mar 2014 Manchester United v Liverpool 0-3
14 Dec 2014 Manchester United v Liverpool 3-0
22 Mar 2015 Liverpool v Manchester United 1-2
12 Sep 2015 Manchester United v Liverpool 3-1
17 Jan 2016 Liverpool v Manchester United 0-1
17 Oct 2016 Liverpool v Manchester United 0-0
15 Jan 2017 Manchester United v Liverpool 1-1
14 Oct 2017 Liverpool v Manchester United 0-0
10 Mar 2018 Manchester United v Liverpool 2-1

I hope we will fecking demolish them, but you just know Mourinho will find a way to frustrate us!
Last 4 meetings at Anfield in the league from 12 possible points we've nicked TWO.

C

Caradoc

United will be right up for this. Their quality players will be determined to ‘show up’ for this one. Nothing will motivate them more than the idea of ending our unbeaten status on our own patch.

That said, if we play like we did against Napoli and take our chances then with United’s defence we should be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
No surprise that Joel Jacobs crackers matip is injured again. Shame as he was playing well but he is made of crackers.

If there's one manager who can beat us or stop us playing its Maureen.
As shit as they are - and they are really shit - it would be no surprise to me to see us beaten Sunday.
Its what Maureen does. He loves to hate us.

Hopefully we will have too much for this shower of shit and win 3-0.
If we beat them we will put so much distance between us 2 that it would be amazing.

Jurgen hasnt beaten Maureen when in charge of United has he? That stat needs to change this weekend.

BigJon

Had Gomez or Matip been playing I would have expected an edgy win. However with Lovren obviously going to be installed again as C/B for a few games then I am not so confident. Especially if TAA is not available at R/B. Milner Lovren VVD and Robertson makes the defense vulnerable down the right - where Rashford / Young will probably be operating. The option of Clyne or Fabinho slotting in at R/B for the first time this season would not be ideal either. This is a real test for Klopp - he needs to show that he has the superior footballing brain. I think he will.

Maybe ....

Allison
Milner Lovren VVD Robertson
Fabinho
Henderson Keita
Salah Firminho Mane

Or a midfield of Henderson, Fabinho and Gini would not surprise me.

Mingolet, Clyne, Sturridge, Shaqiri, Gini, Moreno, Origi.

Midfield is going to have to hustle and stop the supply to their front men - for me that is where this game will be won or lost. Expecting a scrappy win - Mourinho will do everything he can to disrupt and frustrate any type of flowing attractive football.

peter roberts

On the Celtic Ray
We should approach this the same way as the Napoli game , nice and patient , wait and take our chance and then at 1-0 let's see what they've got. (not a lot).

Alisson

Fab Lovren VD Robbo

Hendo GIni Keita

Salah Bobby Mané

aggie57

Attack v defence again, I can see lukaku and elbows up top with 8 defenders hoofing long balls, Milner might have to play right back again, Keita should play he's been very good the two league games, utd is the only team Klopp has not beaten in pl so this needs to be rectified.
I beleive the linenup will see milner right back if tta dosent recover lovren vvd robertson allisson ok mid hendo keita wyni mane salah firmino
Ynwa

RodM

"Let the hate flow through you", a movie quote that seems relevant when I think of MU, at least to me. Our opponents are a poisonous team, with a poisonous manager, filled with poisonous fans.

Liverpool vs MU is the fixture I look forward to, and dread at the same time. It might have been different had I been born and raised in Liverpool. This is a game where a draw still feels like a loss, where a loss feels like the end of the world, and a win removes all chaos from the universe.
In the pre game press conference you can expect their manager to go on about all the money we have spent, the lack of recent trophies and how much he was won, in other words, just being the usual dickhead. Jurgen will be his normal self, giving everyone the respect they deserve, and completely deflecting any pathetic attempt at mind games.
I almost stopped reading after that opening line! This is actually the one fixture that I really despise in the season. The games themselves are usually appalling but it is the atmosphere that is sheer poison. When I had an Anfield season ticket in the 80s I once let my brother go to the United game on my ticket as I couldn't face being surrounded by that much senseless hate. I'm going to be over in Germany again this week so I may watch it just to have something to do on a Sunday evening (plus the Turkish fast-food restaurant down the road usually have the football on and they are a good laugh).

I'd take a bit of exception to your opening line as there are quite a few of the current Man United team that I quite like - I just wish they were playing for a more entertaining side. I also have quite a few friends in Manchester and they are pretty decent. You can always spot the good ones because they actually want to discuss their own team. I've never had time for Mourinho, the arch purveyor of anti-football. Football is one of my favourite forms of entertainment but I know that with the sour-faced "special one" around it will be 90 minutes of my life that I will never get back. I'm just so glad that we have Jürgen in charge - win or lose he will still show respect for others.

As for the match? I may turn the sound off so I don't have to listen to cretins singing about stadium disasters and plane crashes. Aside from that - a beer, a kebab and no one getting hurt would be fine. 3 points would be a bonus.

jaffod

This the the only fixture, and its return leg, that I have dreaded all season. Just like us in the reverse in the 90-00's, this is their cup final these days. You can completely disregard any footage of their games you've seen this year (masochist) because none will be similar to how they play on the weekend.

I mentioned a few times before the season and before we purchased Fab that aerial dominance in midfield in our team was a very serious issue, and I had United games in mind. Fab is ideal for this fixture. I just hope it's not as a RB but as a DM where he really is needed.

Lineup, 3 of the back 4 pick themselves. In the middle, Klopp is often ok with giving 2 games in a row with a midweek game but not often 3. Gini will be on the bench given he's on back to back 90's.

There are so many combos with our midfield given we don't know the status of Milly or TAA ( who would affect Fab).

If TAA is fit, I hope we go for a more solid defence in midfield playing a 4213 with Hendo and Fab as the pair and Shaq in front. Hendo played limited mins last w/e so I think he'll start.

Last year United really isolated TAA. Having a deep midfield pair gives us more defensive width to allow Fab to help cover Rashford. They really reaped the benefits last time of drawing our CBs out (due to lack of midfield height) and allowing to run into the space behind after the fallen ball. Our midfield need to really be aware of that.

Dislike this fixture. They are an awful team that love to put a show on especially for us.
Playing these was never our cup final even when we were shite.

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
I almost stopped reading after that opening line! This is actually the one fixture that I really despise in the season. The games themselves are usually appalling but it is the atmosphere that is sheer poison. When I had an Anfield season ticket in the 80s I once let my brother go to the United game on my ticket as I couldn't face being surrounded by that much senseless hate. I'm going to be over in Germany again this week so I may watch it just to have something to do on a Sunday evening (plus the Turkish fast-food restaurant down the road usually have the football on and they are a good laugh).

I'd take a bit of exception to your opening line as there are quite a few of the current Man United team that I quite like - I just wish they were playing for a more entertaining side. I also have quite a few friends in Manchester and they are pretty decent. You can always spot the good ones because they actually want to discuss their own team. I've never had time for Mourinho, the arch purveyor of anti-football. Football is one of my favourite forms of entertainment but I know that with the sour-faced "special one" around it will be 90 minutes of my life that I will never get back. I'm just so glad that we have Jürgen in charge - win or lose he will still show respect for others.

As for the match? I may turn the sound off so I don't have to listen to cretins singing about stadium disasters and plane crashes. Aside from that - a beer, a kebab and no one getting hurt would be fine. 3 points would be a bonus.
Darren Fletcher says fans have even taunted him and sung songs about his chronic illness. Ulcerative colitis.

Love the sport....loathe the bile.

Scott Jones

Blunt
Ad-free Member
Darren Fletcher says fans have even taunted him and sung songs about his chronic illness. Ulcerative colitis.

Love the sport....loathe the bile.
Vicious lot those mancs,no wonder Fletcher left them.

cynicaloldgit

Resident Misanthrope
Ad-free Member
Vicious lot those mancs,no wonder Fletcher left them.
It’s not just the Mancs; that’s modern football in general. It’s all down to the Sky generation.

There was mutual respect between them and us in the good old days. Now, I’m not saying that there wasn’t violence between the two clubs’ supporters- pissed up twats will always be pissed up twats- but things haven’t always been as vitriolic as they are now.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
It’s not just the Mancs; that’s modern football in general. It’s all down to the Sky generation.

There was mutual respect between them and us in the good old days. Now, I’m not saying that there wasn’t violence between the two clubs’ supporters- pissed up twats will always be pissed up twats- but things haven’t always been as vitriolic as they are now.
I think the deterioration began before the Sky generation, but the PL era has definitely taken a lot of long-established rivalries and given them a nasty edge that wasn't there before. The Everton one was in definitely a case in point.

LaurazRed

The hopeful one
This is a game I never like. Stodgy scrappy. 3 points I'd love but our recent form against Utd is poor.

kwala

TIA Regular
They are going to try to park Jupiter on their 18 yard line. A point is a wet dream to Mourinho here! Hopefully we score fairly early and force them into attempting to play football! If we can I'm pretty sure we can tear them apart.

Hopefully we are a few up before 60 minutes when the hairy elbow weapon is deployed by them for an aerial assault!

Mourinho will be expecting a 4 2 3 1 from us. Will Klopp change it up?

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Christ knows what we do in defence now. Looks like both right backs fuckEd and only two centre backs to get us through Christmas. Injuries are part of the game, but all ours seem to cluster around one position at a time. That fitness pillock on twitter will be having a field day.

I suppose...

Alisson
Milner Lovren Van Dijk Robertson
Fabinho
Wijnaldum Keita
Salah Firmino Keita
Still confident we’ll get a result. Man Utd look like they’ve given up.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Christ knows what we do in defence now. Looks like both right backs fuckEd and only two centre backs to get us through Christmas. Injuries are part of the game, but all ours seem to cluster around one position at a time. That fitness pillock on twitter will be having a field day.

I suppose...

Alisson
Milner Lovren Van Dijk Robertson
Fabinho
Wijnaldum Keita
Salah Firmino Keita
Still confident we’ll get a result. Man Utd look like they’ve given up.
I like Keita, but I am not sure I would play him as a forward and a mid at the same time. Might go with Shaqiri if Mane is not available.

yiannos33

Believe
This could be a banana skin game. A mid table team try to park the bus and hit us on a counter.
Still we have enough to take all points here.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I like Keita, but I am not sure I would play him as a forward and a mid at the same time. Might go with Shaqiri if Mane is not available.
Oops. Meant Mane.

Barnestormer

Left wing.
We'll have to steer a difficult course to victory in this game; we dont want to stick it to them too much so that Maureen gets the sack, he must keep his job :indifferent:

Arminius

FSG PR plant
We'll have to steer a difficult course to victory in this game; we dont want to stick it to them too much so that Maureen gets the sack, he must keep his job :indifferent:
I think you are a natural pessimist. The half-glass full is that there are two options - either Mourinho gets the sack, or continues to manage ManU, neither of which is a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.