• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

PRE MATCH: Liverpool vs Manchester United (EPL), Sunday December 16th 2018, 16:00

Status
Not open for further replies.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
We'll have to steer a difficult course to victory in this game; we dont want to stick it to them too much so that Maureen gets the sack, he must keep his job :indifferent:
For the long term it would be better if he keeps his job.

But on short term...
- we beat them
- Anfield singing 'sacked in the morning'
- important points and another confidence boost in the title race.

redaderry

This is always one of the 'big' ones, regardless of our respective form/table position etc. I hope we go all out and thrash them, I think Maureen's trajectory is set and the outcome of this is irrelevant to that.
The lads will be well rested and pumped up for this.
Hoping for a 3 - nil to the Redmen

Magnus

I am slightly worried about defensive cohesion and I am thus not overconfident. Still, I think we are favorites unless we have an off day. I have an extreme personal antipathy for Mourhino, since I frankly personally think he is the greatest asshole in football. I have always loathed him. He loves to mock people and I find him cruel. I dislike such persons immensely. I hope he will have an awful experience at Anfield.

Barnestormer

Left wing.
I think you are a natural pessimist. The half-glass full is that there are two options - either Mourinho gets the sack, or continues to manage ManU, neither of which is a bad thing.
Not at all, if they get the chance to replace Maureen there could be a resurgence, if not, they stay in the doldrums. The latent optimism in my post is we could muller them right now :well done:

peter roberts

On the Celtic Ray
I think the deterioration began before the Sky generation, but the PL era has definitely taken a lot of long-established rivalries and given them a nasty edge that wasn't there before. The Everton one was in definitely a case in point.
I remember a few years ago driving (working) around the City on derby day and being amazed at the level of policing. I'd never seen so many coppers on the street ,in years of going to the game, for any other opponents. It was probably made much worse by the fact that it was a tea-time kick-off but the tension in the air , and the sheer hatred , and the threat of violence , was really quite an eye-opener. I'd always laughed at the 'friendly derby' nonsense that the media would spout on about but my experience that day took my cynicism to a whole new level.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
We'll have to steer a difficult course to victory in this game; we dont want to stick it to them too much so that Maureen gets the sack, he must keep his job :indifferent:
Agree with this. I hope they play really well and all the talk is about how great Mourinho's got them playing and how unlucky they were. A flukey one goal win would be ideal. Something like a miscued volley going 30 feet up in the air, bouncing twice on the top of the crossbar and landing on the head of Divock Origi in the 6th minute of 4 minutes of added time. I know something as ridiculous as that would never happen but you know what I mean.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Agree with this. I hope they play really well and all the talk is about how great Mourinho's got them playing and how unlucky they were. A flukey one goal win would be ideal. Something like a miscued volley going 30 feet up in the air, bouncing twice on the top of the crossbar and landing on the head of Divock Origi in the 6th minute of 4 minutes of added time. I know something as ridiculous as that would never happen but you know what I mean.
I'd take a Phil Jones own goal seeing as they are going around...

Mourinho not exactly building his second string up https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46547870

Fairly classic Mourinho technique, trying to build up the confidence of a core group of players by scapegoating another.

Last edited:

auzziez

We can all agree that Mourinho would love to 'win a draw' this weekend. Seems like even some fans on their forum would prefer a draw.
Funnily, I enjoy this sentiment. Under Ferguson even a draw against us was a loss for them lot. Now it is a sort of victory. Shows how that club has regressed. And I know it's who that is responsible for it. Long it may continue

Foldy

Had Gomez or Matip been playing I would have expected an edgy win. However with Lovren obviously going to be installed again as C/B for a few games then I am not so confident. Especially if TAA is not available at R/B. Milner Lovren VVD and Robertson makes the defense vulnerable down the right - where Rashford / Young will probably be operating. The option of Clyne or Fabinho slotting in at R/B for the first time this season would not be ideal either. This is a real test for Klopp - he needs to show that he has the superior footballing brain. I think he will.

Maybe ....

Allison
Milner Lovren VVD Robertson
Fabinho
Henderson Keita
Salah Firminho Mane

Or a midfield of Henderson, Fabinho and Gini would not surprise me.

Mingolet, Clyne, Sturridge, Shaqiri, Gini, Moreno, Origi.

Midfield is going to have to hustle and stop the supply to their front men - for me that is where this game will be won or lost. Expecting a scrappy win - Mourinho will do everything he can to disrupt and frustrate any type of flowing attractive football.
Fabinho looked ok at RB against Bournemouth, and to be honest I wouldn't mind a midfield three of Hendo Gini and Keita. Masterson is an option for CB but its a bloody big ask of a kid at a fixture like this.

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
I'd always laughed at the 'friendly derby' nonsense that the media would spout on about but my experience that day took my cynicism to a whole new level.
I was at the 1986 Cup Final and in the predominately Everton end but the fans were pretty much intermingled that day with husbands, wives and children with different scarves. The whole stadium chanted Merseyside, Merseyside, Merseyside. I also recall there wasn't a mass exodus of Evertonians at the end and even applause from some for the lap of honour. Heysel definitely changed the atmosphere and made it more toxic plus I think social media has cranked up the hatred.

You just have to look on fan forums to see how many idiots there are about these days :rolleyes:

Last edited:

RodM

I was at the 1986 Cup Final and in the predominately Everton end but the fans were pretty much intermingled that day with husbands, wives and children with different scarves. The whole stadium chanted Merseyside, Merseyside, Merseyside. I also recall there wasn't a mass exodus of Evertonians at the end and even applause from some for the lap of honour. Heysel definitely changed the atmosphere and made it more toxic plus I think social media has cranked up the hatred.

You just have to look on fan forums to see how many idiots there are about these days :rolleyes:
Very much my experience on that day. I actually travelled down with two Evertonians - I can't say they were happy on the way home but there was no malice between fans and many had arranged for coaches based on locality rather than allegiance. Do you think the internet has had some effect on behaviour? There is always a shield of anonymity provided by groups anyway and once hidden behind a keyboard and an avatar inhibitions can be unbound.

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
Very much my experience on that day. I actually travelled down with two Evertonians - I can't say they were happy on the way home but there was no malice between fans and many had arranged for coaches based on locality rather than allegiance. Do you think the internet has had some effect on behaviour? There is always a shield of anonymity provided by groups anyway and once hidden behind a keyboard and an avatar inhibitions can be unbound.
I think what none Scouse fans sometimes forget is that unlike other club's fans, Evertonians are our wives, brothers, mothers, fathers and children. My wife came from a blue family and my daughter had a massive Everton team poster on her bedroom wall as a child. She has since seen the light. After all I made sure she had LFC as her initials. My father in law was not amused....... lol

Abdel

Fabinho looked ok at RB against Bournemouth, and to be honest I wouldn't mind a midfield three of Hendo Gini and Keita. Masterson is an option for CB but its a bloody big ask of a kid at a fixture like this.
He didn't play as a right back , Milner did

Red over the water

Mourinho has been well and truly found out this year. Given their resources they should be fighting for the title, and in an iffy season, they should be fighting with the small group for top four.

As things stand they are miles away. I suspect they will keep Mourinho on until top four is impossible, then they will pull the trigger and have another go under a new man. Hopefully that cycle perpetuates, and they keep falling short.

On this individual game I would take any win right now, if offered. We just got our noses in front in the title race, and it would be a real shame to hand top spot straight back to Man City. I daresay it could even knock our confidence, as we've worked so hard to keep up, that it would put a dent in proceedings should we slip back right away. Hang on to top spot, and a win, any win, secures that!

They are not playing for their manager. That much is clear. But they will turn up for this one. It's what they do. It's not a great Utd side by any stretch, but they are better players than the table would suggest. I expect some alehouse tactics but on the deck they have a couple of players that could give Lovren a tough time if they run at him. Hopefully Lovren will bring peak concentration into this one.

Guessing the score is a tough one. I think we will do well and combat their alehouse tactics, as we are a complete defence these days; but I suspect someone like Martial might find a way through by running at us. It might need a lucky deflection to get past the defender, but he seems to do that as he dribbles past people.

I'm going for 2-1 to us. Any win will do.

Alisson
TAA Lovren VVD Robertson
Keita Fabinho Henderson/Milner
Salah Firmino Mane

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
No surprise that Joel Jacobs crackers matip is injured again. Shame as he was playing well but he is made of crackers.

If there's one manager who can beat us or stop us playing its Maureen.
As shit as they are - and they are really shit - it would be no surprise to me to see us beaten Sunday.
Its what Maureen does. He loves to hate us.

Hopefully we will have too much for this shower of shit and win 3-0.
If we beat them we will put so much distance between us 2 that it would be amazing.

Jurgen hasnt beaten Maureen when in charge of United has he? That stat needs to change this weekend.
Why the pop at Matip did you see the challenge he was hit by?

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
Heart says a 3-1 win in a match that's complete chaos, but more controlled on our part. But we all know what'll really happen - 11 men behind the ball, and the universe's most expensive version of Stoke will devolve the game into a dour 0-0 draw with Mourinho beaming afterwards like he's won.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
I don't think I can remember us heading into a utd game as such big bookies favourites. Games against utd are never easy and this will be no different despite all the we'll win 3-0 or 4-0 . the 3-0 win at the old toilet a few years ago under Rodgers was probably the easiest game we've had against utd in the last 20 odd years. People will point to the 4-1 under Rafa but that was only settled after utd had a player sent off and we scored from the resulting freekick to make it 3-1. Dosena lobbing red nose late in the game to make it 4-1

redaderry

I see Lawro predicts 1 - 1.
3 - nil to the Redmen then

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
The Most Despicable club in the world with the most despicable manager.
They will come to anfield play like stoke. Making it ugly, fouling and trying to disrupt play.
If we play to our strengths, we are the favourites.

My team would be:
...............AB................
TAA....DL....VVD...AR
...JM...FAB...NK...
SM.....RF......MS...

We would have decent cover from the bench in shaqs, Hendo, Wij, Sturridge, Origi.

Scott Jones

Blunt
Ad-free Member
The Most Despicable club in the world with the most despicable manager.
They will come to anfield play like stoke. Making it ugly, fouling and trying to disrupt play.
If we play to our strengths, we are the favourites.

My team would be:
...............AB................
TAA....DL....VVD...AR
...JM...FAB...NK...
SM.....RF......MS...

We would have decent cover from the bench in shaqs, Hendo, Wij, Sturridge, Origi.
Simon Mignolet playing down the right wing,big gamble that.

Tosh

TIA Regular
Agree about how despicable both they and their manager are.

This is the biggest game of their season so far, ours of course are against the real team of Manchester. Don’t expect anything from them however, it’ll be six acros the back - bus well and truly parked.

Just hope we make them look what they are, and send them away after giving them a good fuckin hiding.

Show me the Mane

Mourhino said after we smashed them in pre-season that it was not his squad not a confidence booster for those that were playing and has continued to divide the team ever since. He moaned about not being able to sign any of 4 cb he had lined up yet another condifence booster. He called Pogba a virus the other week whereas in reality it is him who is doing the damage with his attitude which transpires onto the pitch.
The only half hope they have is that they have done better as underdog this season, winning at Juventus and conceding a late goal at Chelsea when 2-1 up. City played them off the park but at 2-1 they were in the game until that 3rd goal. Against sides that they have expected to do better they have given away too much space on the ball and not pressed.
If we play to how we have done this season we should pick up the points, our attack against their defence, I can't see them holding us out, I have seen more clean sheets in a busy brothel than what they have kept this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.