• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

PRE MATCH: Liverpool vs Napoli (UCL Group C), Tuesday December 11th, 2018, 20:00

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
If we lose, and Red Star manage to turn over what will undoubtedly be a weakened PSG side (unlikely), we finish bottom of the group.
I wouldn't be happy, but it would be preferential to finishing in 3rd.
No one would be happy going out at this point, but if it's so your scenario is best. Europa league is a competition we COULD win, but it's a major distraction from the PL.
First time I see fourth as better than third.

Noo Noo

A hint of last years CL tie with Roma combined with this years defensive resolve would be perfect.

kwala

TIA Regular
No one would be happy going out at this point, but if it's so your scenario is best. Europa league is a competition we COULD win, but it's a major distraction from the PL.
First time I see fourth as better than third.
Not so sure.... It can be ysed as a league cup replacent to give the fringe players a tune up so they are ready if needed.

Noo Noo

If it were winners take all I'd be far happier than the fact that we need to win by two clear goals. That's like an extra step, but we can only blame ourselves for getting into that situation in the first place

RodM

I'm hoping that we finish this group with our home form rather than the away form. It's a tough group but we only have ourselves to blame for finding ourselves in this position. I'm hoping for a comfortable win but sometimes I actually think we need the kick up the backside that a closely fought game brings.

The key factor here is that we can't afford to concede so if it is a cagey 1 goal victory I'd happily take it - winning 2-1 or 3-2 would be agonising as it would just be too little too late. Of course, if we don't win we will just have to take it in the chin.

I suppose Gomez being injured is the biggest problem we have to sort. I didn't think Matip looked too bad on Saturday but, witht he greatest respect to Bournemouth, Napoli are a much greater threat.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
2-0. We go through. Make us really angry and we make it 3-0, even 4-0.
1-0 and we go through.

If they score, we’ll need a two goal margin to better their head-to-head record.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
1-0 and we go through.

If they score, we’ll need a two goal margin to better their head-to-head record.
I'm not 100% sure but I think if RSB get a win or draw against PSG a 2:1 3:2 4:3 5:4 would also be enough for us.

hoosierred

Ad-free Member
1-0 and we go through.

Agreed, If I read the tie break rules right:

1-0 we go through on total goals scored in the geoup
2-1 (or any 1 goal victory where Napoli scores) Napoli goes through on head to head away goals
3-1 we go though on head to head goal difference.

When the groups were drawn, my first thought was that we would probably have to beat Napoli at home. So now we just have to go do that, and if we can’t, we don’t deserve to advance.

hoosierred

Ad-free Member
I'm not 100% sure but I think if RSB get a win or draw against PSG a 2:1 3:2 4:3 5:4 would also be enough for us.
If RSB wins, then any victory puts us through. A PSG draw creates a 3 way tie if we win, and I’m less sure what scores will mean what in that scenario as PSG will still like have better goal differences then us.

liver1

If RSB wins, then any victory puts us through. A PSG draw creates a 3 way tie if we win, and I’m less sure what scores will mean what in that scenario as PSG will still like have better goal differences then us.
If PSG draw then any win puts us through.

Basically well all be tied on 9 points so it goes on head to head points first.

Weve taken 6 points in 4 the games against PSG and Napoli, whilst Napoli and PSG will have taken 5 each, so we go through.

KYRed18

From Goal.com

"Should the French giants draw their final match, only a Napoli loss to Liverpool at a scoreline of 4-3 or higher would see Thomas Tuchel's side fail to reach the knockout rounds on the three team head-to-head. "

RodM

From Goal.com

"Should the French giants draw their final match, only a Napoli loss to Liverpool at a scoreline of 4-3 or higher would see Thomas Tuchel's side fail to reach the knockout rounds on the three team head-to-head. "
Wouldn't it be far more straight forward to just win the bloody game convincingly?

The way I am feeling at the moment I'll regard it as a victory if I can stay awake before the Night Nurse kicks in.

hoosierred

Ad-free Member
From Goal.com

I knew they were fighting for their group lives against us in Paris - anything less than a win there and we controlled their destiny. Would be fun to put 4 through an eliminate PSG through the most unlikely of scenarios.

RedForever2014

If Lovren is fit he has to start ahead of Matip. I'd also prefer Milner at right back to TAA, who in my opinion has been bang average defensively this season and seems to have let all his media exposure go to his head.

Fabinho really should start at DM given his good recent form, though I know Henderson will be picked.

The front three picks itself, if we're going for an attacking midfielder I'd go with Keita above Shaqiri, though I guess we might see a midfield three of three from Hendo, Fab, Gini and Milner.

Let's hope we raise ourselves to a quality performance, get through this and park it until February, then refocus on the league for a few months.

We really don't want Thursday night football during a title challenge.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
With Trent and Hendo being rested mid week, expect both of them to start. Also Matip put in a decent outing and would prefer the CB pairing to remain consistent for a few games. The only two MF spots then can have Gini/ Fab/ Milly/ Keita and Shaqiri. With Shaqs and Keita withdrawn early mid week, I expect them to start to make a very attacking line up.

Alisson - Trent, Matip, VVD, Robbo - Hendo, Keita, Shaqs - Salah, Mane, Bobby!

Prediction : Leading 2-1 at 90th minute and then a Hendo screamer to sort it out and make TIA go nuts. :tongue:
lol with such type of drama, I hope I make it to our celebration come end of the year. Heart can only take certain amount of drama lol

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
We need the right amount of quality, bravery, persistence, patience and calmness. The stadium will go nuts, it's important that the players don't. But of course, if we have a patch of 15-20 minutes, we should use every opportunity, but not go totally wild as they're capable to kill us on the counter, a bit like Benfica did in 2006 with their quality up front.

Napoli have changed from 4-3-3 to 4-4-2, though Rui attacked a lot more on the left than Maksimovic on the right, who is more of a CB. Don't know what's happening with Hysaj. Ghoulam is back for them though not sure if he's ready to start in a game like this. Ruiz plays on the left but on the inside, a bit like Saul does/did at Atletico. Callejon offers hard work, width and runs from the right. Hamsik plays deeper in a two with Allan. Koulibaly is defensively 1v1 maybe the strongest CB, we'll see if Mo can cause him trouble as he will go directly against him in that channel. They made about 6 changes in their last league game.

Our back 5 is most probably settled, don't know if Lovren comes in for Matip, probably not. And to be fair Joel played well his last two games, maybe shaky at the start, but grew as the games went on and looked like clean work, no mistakes.

Midfield is probably where the question lies, which structure to use and which players. I think fans love Shaqiri (and keep putting him in their XI, even in midfield?!) a bit more than he realistically did so far, honestly I don't think he starts here. Also, still not convinced by Fabinho, making small steps yes, but it's still relatively low from him and more learning/improvement is needed. Keita has more chances than all of the new boys to start.

Personally, I'd go with Gini at holding midfield with Milner and Keita in front of him. But I know that's not going to happen. Somehow I don't trust either Hendo or Fabinho at this particular moment, against this Napoli side and in this situation we're in. What Gini played at holding midfield earlier this season was considerably better than both Hendo or Fabinho played this season. I'm vary of their threat with Insigne playing half-left, as that second striker, also with Mertens up front. Them two don't really need much support to create damage. So I'd love to have Gini there as a mobile player who can follow and clean, but also circulate the ball well as we need to win the game. Maybe Klopp keeps that as our second plan, or goes 4-4-2 which is probably more likely.

Wouldn't surprise me if we started with our working midfield 3 either, Hendo, Milner and Gini. But maybe he'll want Keita straight from the start. Who drops out then? I had an idea, if Mane isn't fit enough to start (+ we want more control from the start), maybe use Keita on the left to counter their 4-4-2, Milner helping/protecting Trent on the right, playing an asymetrical 4-4-2. That's why I'd personally drop both Hendo and Fabinho, put man by man our best players on form and style, but know and undestand that will most probably not happen and Hendo starts and Keita possibly sits out to come on later and inject quality into our game, either possession based if we need control, or trying to dribble past lines if we need to chase it.

Red over the water

Yep, I’m gutted about work commitments tomorrow too. Usually I can arrange my schedule to not miss a match, but I’ve got some meetings that can’t be moved. I’ll be recording it on Univision deportes and watching in Spanish as soon as I get home. I’ll try to not hear the score before then, though I might get some texts/what’s app messages from back home in England. Might need to airplane mode the phone for a few hours...

Red Eyes

If we go out I’d like to go out of Europe altogether. Fuck Thursday night shitfest football.
agree, Thursday night football would be worse than no European football at all for the rest of this season.

Not sure what Klopp would do if we did have to drop to Europa though, I fear he would try to win it

7th Earl

If we go out I’d like to go out of Europe altogether. Fuck Thursday night shitfest football.
Agree wholeheartedly with this.

This is one of our best ever chances to win the League once again. I know EL gives a route into CL but we are all but dead certs for a top 4 finish. Yes we can give fringe players games but Klopp and his staff still have to prepare the squad for those games taking focus away from the PL.

Most importantly we really do not want to playing after Man City on the majority of weekends. The challenge is hard enough as it is.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
Another massive Anfield European night under the lights, and my nerves are already starting to kick in (hand me the Old Paddy).
We have to win to progress. Napoli only need a draw to go through, so will they sit deep, absorb the pressure and try to hit us on the counter.

Will this be a re-run of 8th December 2004? Who knows, but

This game has all the makings of a potential banana skin! :rolleyes: (well someone had to say it)

I'll take a scrappy 1-0 win to us. :shocked:

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Almost impossible. Red Star would definitely have to win and we'd have to lose. People need to quit talking about avoid the EL cause if we don't qualify for the CL we are in the EL

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
I actually have a feeling we’ll Come out flying for this and be up 3-0 at half time - followed by a terrifying second half where we concede 2 and end up winning with Alisson the MOTM

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Reasonably confident about this,think we can put this one away.
The lads will be up for it,at Anfield so will the support.
Got a point to prove here and we'll do it.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
The big question is whether Klopp goes for a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3. I think Fabinho and Hendo will play. Keita looked tired so I doubt he will start a.
This will seem weird but I would go with this :
Alisson
TAA Matip/Lovren VVD Robertson
Hendo Fabinho
Milner Firmino Mane
Salah

This line up will enable the team to switch to a 4-3-3 formation easily without changing players.

Status
Not open for further replies.