• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

PRE MATCH: Liverpool vs Napoli (UCL Group C), Tuesday December 11th, 2018, 20:00

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigJon

Usual front 3 will be restored for this one - Trent will probably come in for Milner and Matip should keep his place. Midfield is a tough call - Think Klopp will go with Gini Keita and Henderson. Shaqiri to come on in second half is my guess.

jaffod

Not nearly as fired up for this as I normally would be, it's all a bit meh. Grew up on European footy in the '70's and I'd normally be climbing the walls leading up to this sort of match. Can only think it's because of our PL form and being almost 100% focused on that.
Said earlier in the thread if we do go out we may be in a position where we don't have to worry too much about winning the Europa, just put all our energies into winning the PL.
All that said think it will be tasty tomorrow on and off the pitch. Going to head into town in the morning to see how the land lies, last time they were here there was a bit of aggro, hope nothing goes off but I've a feeling some of our lads might not take too kindly to any more Italian shithousery.

redaderry

My heart skipped a beat when i saw this thread yesterday afternoon, like yikes, fuck, it's here already.
I think we should do this ok and sure that Anfield will do what it does best on mid-week european nights. I really want us to go into the knockouts this year again, this is what it's all about, banging along in the league alongside european football. It doesn't get much better than this.
I see a 3 - 1 to the Redmen

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Atletico and then Sevilla have built themselves into European powers on the back of deep runs in the Europa League. It will be a distraction for the league title chase, and is not as critical as that, but we quite simply would not be in this situation if we had not been a Pot 3 team. That cannot simply be discarded because we don't want Thursday games. We have done bugger all in Europe this year, and run a real risk of being in Pot 3 again. A win will all but take care of that, but if we don't get it now, we need to get a couple of them in the EL.

Perth Red

Rolling with crocs in Darwin
Essentially a one off, so I see quite the attacking side. I’ll go:

Alisson
TAA-Lovren-VVD-Robbo
Hendo/Gini-Keita
Mo-Shaq-Mane
Bobby

Put the screws to em early, and then can see it out with some bench help. I’ll say 3-0.
For some reason I have 3-0 in my head too. Absolutely no basis, rhyme or reason for it... so it must be true!

Red over the water

For me the best line up for this one is:

Alisson
TAA Matip Van Dijk Robertson
Keita Fabinho Wijnaldum
Salah Firmino Mane

The only slight question for me, based on available players, is the midfield, but one or two of the ones who don’t make the team above would be eligible for a start against Man Utd at the weekend.

The approach we take will be interesting to see. A fast start and a 3-0 h-t lead will be more than fine by me! But we might be a bit more cagey so as not to concede, and then open up as the game progresses. It will be fascinating to see and I can’t wait!

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
I am scared shitless about this match. Trying to be positive but Mertens and Insigne (whom I really wanted to buy to compete with Mane/Salah for starting role) are absolutely lethal right now.

So I will leave this here, with hope in my heart. Good fortunes tomorrow, fellow Reds.

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Here's our obligatory glance at our moment of the 21st century.
I was thinking about posting the Olympiakos video, but no. We deserve to watch this. Carlo, good to see you, Again.

1dragon

TIA Regular
As @Arminius said, we should not be looking to exit Europe all together if we do not qualify for the next round. The Europa League in recent years has been as prestigious as the CL. I dare say it was more competitive too, especially for the last two years.

Henderson looks set to start, which is a pity. I thought the Fabinho-Wijnaldum-Kieta axis looks like the most balanced combination so far. If Henderson starts, I do not wish to see Milner and Wijnaldum partnering him. That just hands the initiative to Napoli to control the game. I go with:

Alisson
TAA-Matip-VvD-Robertson
Henderson-Fabinho
Salah-Kieta-Mane
Firmino

Perth Red

Rolling with crocs in Darwin
I
As @Arminius said, we should not be looking to exit Europe all together if we do not qualify for the next round. The Europa League in recent years has been as prestigious as the CL. I dare say it was more competitive too, especially for the last two years.

Henderson looks set to start, which is a pity. I thought the Fabinho-Wijnaldum-Kieta axis looks like the most balanced combination so far. If Henderson starts, I do not wish to see Milner and Wijnaldum partnering him. That just hands the initiative to Napoli to control the game. I go with:

Alisson
TAA-Matip-VvD-Robertson
Henderson-Fabinho
Salah-Kieta-Mane
Firmino
I thought Hendo showed some excellent touches and movement in his cameo in the more advanced role - I much prefer him there and reminded me of his drive when Stevie played the quarterback role. Wouldn't be upset to see him and Keita swapped around in your formation here.

James H

"One word: Thundercougarfalconbird"
Ad-free Member
I can't help but see this game being either 2-0 to us or 2-1 to us. Obvious which I'd prefer but I can see Napoli scoring. Really hope I'm wrong, and maybe it's my own jitters.

Ben64

Here's our obligatory glance at our moment of the 21st century.
I was thinking about posting the Olympiakos video, but no. We deserve to watch this. Carlo, good to see you, Again.

This game! I saw we were 3-0 down and I went to bed. Next morning.. I cried. Why oh why did I give up!!! I get my coat...

XMarlin

Not going to be in a position to watch or listen to this match so will have to rely on updates from here.

I expect Napoli to park the bus.

Question being asked is whether to go 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1.

For me...tonight is the night to go full out...

Rock and roll football, geggenpressen...we either win by 2 or we play in the Europa League.

Tonight we dust off the total football concept and unleash Mo, Sadio and Bobby.

Let Virgil, Millie and Robbo take care of the opposition's response.

Plenty of healthy lads to fill the middle...

Maybe even look at a 3-2-2-3.

Rock and Roll Football and Anfield.

Tonight we go again.

YNWA!

Antiope

Pretended to have a stomach ache and fatigue in the office today. I will call in sick tomorrow, which will allow me to stay up late tonight. I am eagerly looking forward to yet another special night.

Wilkored08

Tonite, will try and watch the game in a sports bar in Keswick....not sure if it shows BT Sport....if not it will be on my phone, or listening to radio commentary.....so chaps and chapesses...I will keep viewing the comments ...COYR....C'mon you boys

Ben64

It’s either I sleep now and wake up at 4am to watch the game or I keep watching crap tv till 4am, watch the game, then go straight to work and come home at lunch and sleep till dinner. What’s life!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.