PRE MATCH: Liverpool vs Newcastle (EPL), Wednesday December 26th 2018, 15:00

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaffod

We should see some changes for this, with Arsenal two days later. God knows what the team will be, but I imagine Klopp will figure out his team for the 29th and work back from there.

I expect Clyne, Moreno, Shaqiri and Sturridge to start.
I think you're right, JK will want a high energy midfield for Arsenal which will almost certainly include Gini so I'm not sure he'll start against Newcastle, I imagine it will be more workmanlike - probably Hendo and Milner with Shaqiri to add some guile.

GermanRed

I think you're right, JK will want a high energy midfield for Arsenal which will almost certainly include Gini so I'm not sure he'll start against Newcastle, I imagine it will be more workmanlike - probably Hendo and Milner with Shaqiri to add some guile.
Wijnaldum had his break against Wolves so i‘m expecting him to start st least the next two.

Magnus

Against Wolves I was sceptical we would win, but against Newcastle on Anfield, I am actually quite confident. This will be a mental test for our players, but I believe that they are strong enough and that our squad is strong enough to rotate enough so that we can field our strongest team against Arsenal.
My prediction is Liverpool 3, Newcastle 1.

C

Caradoc

Against Wolves I was sceptical we would win, but against Newcastle on Anfield, I am actually quite confident. This will be a mental test for our players, but I believe that they are strong enough and that our squad is strong enough to rotate enough so that we can field our strongest team against Arsenal.
My prediction is Liverpool 3, Newcastle 1.

Rafa is a wily old fox and a very perceptive and tactically astute manager. He is quite capable of throwing a spanner in our EPL works and won’t think twice about doing so or putting out his best side to try to. He is an honest man and a professional to his core. He manages Newcastle United not Liverpool FC. Only after the match will he fully and openly acknowledge his affection for us but certainly not before or during.

Magnus

Rafa is a wily old fox and a very perceptive and tactically astute manager. He is quite capable of throwing a spanner in our EPL works and won’t think twice about doing so or putting out his best side to try to. He is an honest man and a professional to his core. He manages Newcastle United not Liverpool FC. Only after the match will he fully and openly acknowledge his affection for us but certainly not before or during.
Oh, I know. I have a lot of respect for Rafa. But even so, I believe that with the utmost concentration, our squad is simply too good for Newcastle. That is with 100% concentration though!

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
Newcastle v's Liverpool is one of my favourite games.. One of my all time top footballing memories is the 4-3 in 96.. Collymore with the 4th in the 92nd minute. Never felt so many different emotions watching a game.

Now I'll take a 1-0 here but think if we get an early goal we could open the floodgates.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Bound to be a few changes for this one. This is the one game in this sequence that stands out as one we could win without playing the strongest possible team, certainly defensively. Newcastle have scored just 14 goals all season. Only Huddersfield have scored less so Clyne and Moreno must be possibles here. Pity Gomez and Matip are injured otherwise you could see VVD putting his feet up. Hopefully he'll have fuck all to do anyway.

The one thing Newcastle do have going for them is their defence. Much better than the teams around them and that is what will keep them up. Shaqiri nailed on for this one because we'll need his creativity to open them up. Other than that whatever team JK puts out is fine by me. He seems to know what he's doing.

Earlier in the season City seemed invincible, swatting teams without breaking sweat. We have been less spectacular but we've hung on in there and the pressure has mounted. They were first to blink when they lost to Chelsea and properly shat themselves against Palace. 4 points clear at this stage is a big gap when you've only dropped 6 points all season. What once seemed almost impossible now seems achievable but we must maintain the focus. Long way to go yet.

Joe Gomez x

Expecting a nervy match with us dominanting possession and hoping to find the breakthrough. Hopefully we can get an early one before the bus gets set up then the floodgates may open up. Hoping Sturridge gets started over Bobby - I think we will need a proper 'number 9' striker in this one against a ridget Newcastle back line. I will say we will most likely get the clean sheet and have single figure goals concede still intact. We will greatly need to take our chances though otherwise we will slip up against Rafa'a boys. YNWA

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
Can't underestimate a Rafa led team. He'll do his best to ensure newcastle are tough to break down. That said , I don't think he'll be too attacking given the resources he has.

I don't know whether we should risk moreno for this one. It's without a doubt that Robbo needs a break though. And rather this Match considering the two which follow

Allison
Clyne lovren can dijk milner/Moreno
Gini fabinho keita
Shaqiri
Salah mane

I'll rest Bobby for this one too , primarily cause of the matches to follow and shaqiri giving us more of an option in picking the passes as well as the corners and set pieces. Newcastle will be happy to concede the corners knowing that we aren't great in making much use of them.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Rafa, a master tactician.
He may not have a good team, but I can expect his team to be very very difficult to break down.
Expect them to come at anfield and try to frustrate us.
Having said that, I will rest robbo and mane.
My team would be:
..........AB.......
NC..DL..VVD..AM
..GW..FAB..JH...
..XS...RF...MS..

let's get the job done and put more pressure on city.

Alright Now

I had thought this would be the match to rest VVD. I still do, I think. After all Newcastle has only scored 17, and didn’t score even against Fulham. But I’m not sure now after seeing Palace knock off City. I don’t know. Glad I don’t have to decide.

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
If City can lose to Crystal Palace, then we can lose to Newcastle. No complacency..start the strongest side i.e. Salah & Firmino, get ahead and then think about bringing on Origi.

And as for leaving VVD out ........:shocked:
We can't afford to start the strongest side with Arsenal 3 days later which means just 2 days between game days then 5 days till we play City away which we need to be 100% for. Besides my team should beat Newcastle comfortably with the option to send in Salah, Bobby and Sturridge if need be. With a 4 point lead we can take a very calculated risk here and rest some players that have played a lot recently and who will be needed against Arsenal and City. I believe in our squad so I have no problem with playing a technically weaker side though its still stronger than Newcastle's who could be resting a few themselves.

P.S There's no way we can afford to rest VvD for any games, I shudder to think what would happen without Big Virg at he back leading the team.

GermanRed

The CB situation is what worries me the most at the moment.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Long way to go yet.
Exactly, not a single team should be treated as a gimme. We need to be on top of our game even if it means forgoing FA Cup now. This is all that matter and stay focus in the league will only do more good for us. Keep doing our thing, play our game and see where it takes us by the end of the season. No point harping on who we should worry about and how we should line up against them. Everyone in the squad should know exactly what their job is when called upon by now. I just don't want to see complacency kicking in, one which we (Lovren) are very capable of.

T.C.B

I had thought this would be the match to rest VVD. I still do, I think. After all Newcastle has only scored 17, and didn’t score even against Fulham. But I’m not sure now after seeing Palace knock off City. I don’t know. Glad I don’t have to decide.
I think if gomez or Matip were fit then either could partner Degsy. I'd be surprised to see Fabinho partner Lovren unless it's forced upon us.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
I can't wait for his one. Makes Xmas day go by quicker.

Managed to get 4 tickets for this one. 2 in the Kop where my daughter and her friend will be. 1 in Upper 5 where my son will be (and his mate is there too) and my ticket is 3 rows behind Newcastle bench. I'll be on my own some though.

If we win this, we will be top going into 2019.

I hope Jurgen makes some changes and keeps it fresh. Surely Shaqiri, Milner and TAA have to start... I'd probably let Studge start also.

Whatever he decides, lets make it a comfortable win and keep the momentum going. I think City are still favourites for the title but our odds have dropped considerably. If we win the next 2 games, it piles incredible pressure onto City and I don't think they can deal with it.

jaffod

By the time we kick off we'll have played 1 match in the previous 10 days. 90 minutes football in 10 days. VVD doesn't need a rest. Nor does Andy Robertson or anybody else.
The Arsenal game will be more of a problem so if we can get a 2 or 3 goal lead over Newcastle by the hour mark we can manage it with that game in mind. I don't see this game being too big a problem physically as I expect Newcastle to camp in their own half for long periods while we dominate possession. I also wouldn't be surprised if Rafa prioritised their game at Watford over this one and rested a few.
We can speculate all we like but we're not privvy to the fitness levels of the players or who JK wants lining up against Arsenal so he'll pick a team depending on those 2 things.
That said I reckon Clyne will be the only change at the back and Shaqiri will start with Hendo and Milner the pivot.

BigJon

Newcastle v's Liverpool is one of my favourite games.. One of my all time top footballing memories is the 4-3 in 96.. Collymore with the 4th in the 92nd minute. Never felt so many different emotions watching a game.

Now I'll take a 1-0 here but think if we get an early goal we could open the floodgates.
Agree completely - Liverpool v Newcastle 1974 FA Cup Final 3-0 and I was hooked.

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
Not getting three points against Newcastle but doing well against Arsenal is no different than exhausting the lads now and putting tired legs against the Arse. When you're top of the heap and looking down, points dropped are points dropped. We're in a fantastic position now with City slipping up against Palace, and we need to capitalize if at all possible. Put out a strong team against Newcastle, secure that win, and see how it shakes out against the Arse the three days later. For all we know, Leicester might do us another favour, and we could be going into the weekend seven points clear and the pressure is (slightly) lifted.

RedTideCT

It suddenly occurred to me this morning that, for once, my focus is less on the upcoming transfer window and more on the matches to come. In previous seasons, I've usually been desperate to see who we'd be buying and worried about which players we may lose. This season, I'm so impressed with the squad that JK has built that I wouldn't mind if we didn't bring anyone in. I also think that the club's current stature is such that there aren't too many more attractive options for our players. (Of course, the rumoured 100-million pound premium that Barca has to pay if they buy any players from us helps!). I just want to see those players out on the pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.