• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Pre-Match | Liverpool vs Newcastle | PL Matchday 5 | Saturday September 14th | 12:30h | Anfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
International break almost over and we start the PL weekend with a home match against Newcastle. I think it is our first saturday early kickoff since december.

Not sure about the lineup.

Adrian
TAA Matip VvD Robertson
Henderson Fabinho Milner
Salah Firmino Mané

Commando

Ad-free Member
Jurgen and his staff will know better than me which starting eleven to go with, what formation and tactics to employ. I’ll leave it in their capable hands and do my bit by wearing my lucky undies and t shirt and having my lucky hanky in my pocket. I’ll also observe all of my pre match routines.

COYR YNWA

Incognito

The Normal One
No more Rafa! Time to thrash them. Glad it's at Anfield, needed after the international break.
Mane hat-trick, Salah hat-trick of assists. Bobby showing a no look middle finger to the camera and media.

If not above, then at least 3 points with no fuss, to put the pressure back on chasers and let us fans have a happy weekend watching others play.

Red over the water

It has been too long! International football is a pain in the neck. I don’t mind it when it is tournament time, but all the group games, usually against mismatched opponents, is not much of a spectacle, and only leaves me hoping Liverpool players don’t get injured. Anyhow, leaving aside that bah humbug comment...

Steve Bruce has started to get a tune out of the barcodes. Many thought they would sink without trace, after years of bad ownership and fans checking out en masse, but there might just be a bit of fight in them.

Still, with that said, this one is all about what we do on the day. One thing to watch out for is a stuttering Liverpool performance, as we sometimes take a game or two to get back up to speed after the international break. But even if we aren’t at our best, and I don’t expect it, we have a maturity and resolve about us these days that looks intent on getting the job done.

2-0 Liverpool.

Van Dijk header, and a Mane finish into the corner, from an assist by Salah. Smiles all round.

Richard88

I think we could see some of the squad players starting against Newcastle, given that we have Napoli and Chelsea both away right after that. Those two games are really the big ones to have a fresh and fully-fit First XI for, with plenty of rotation likely again against MK Dons and Sheffield.

Newcastle (H) -- Sat 14/9
Napoli (A) ------ Tue 17/9
Chelsea (A) -----Sun 22/9
MK Dons (A) ----Wed 25/9
Sheffield (A) ---- Sat 28/9
Red Bull (H) ---- Wed 2/10
Leicester (H) --- Sat 5/10
------------------------------------
International Break 6/10 - 19/10
-------------------------------------

In particular, I think Shaqiri has a good chance of seeing some involvement against Newcastle. He stayed at the club this international break to get extra training in, and we could use a playmaker like him against a team that will most likely sit very deep at Anfield. That said, Shaqiri doesn't really work in a midfield 3 due to how open he leaves us defensively, so it would require a change to more of a 4231 like the early part of last season. For that reason, perhaps Origi gets the nod up front to allow us to rest one of the front 3.

Whatever the case, I reckon we'll see at least one player being rotated from the usual XI against, whether it is Shaqiri, Milner, Ox, and/or Origi coming in.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
Jurgen and his staff will know better than me which starting eleven to go with, what formation and tactics to employ. I’ll leave it in their capable hands and do my bit by wearing my lucky undies and t shirt and having my lucky hanky in my pocket. I’ll also observe all of my pre match routines.

COYR YNWA
But what if Jurgen secretly reads your posts and decides his team on that?

I think you need to give yourself more credit and share your thoughts.

And what do I think? Well I’ll leave it to Jurgen, his assistants and our knowledgeable forum members.

But I’ll be in the kop. Red shirt.

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter
4-0 in the 89th minute, 2xMo,2xMane. 90th minute, penalty Liverpool! Mo and Mane spend the entire 5 mins of injury time repeating “No you take it”. I don’t know who took the penalty, I can’t see that far into the future.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I think Bobby might be on the bench. Put in a shift for Brazil, and doesn’t get back until late.

Fancy Ox to get a start as well, in for Hendo who will have had a lot of minutes for England.

Adrian
Trent Matip Van Dijk Robbo
Fabinho
OxChamb Wijnaldum
Salah Mane Origi

Status
Not open for further replies.