• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Pre Match: Liverpool vs Oldham - Sunday 5th Jan, 3pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
I'd like to see us resting a few for this. The league is too tight and the chance to finish well too great to mess about. The players have taken a battering over Christmas and need to head into the new year with a bit of recuperation.

Slightly experimental line up. Would like to see McLoughlin start, and Suarez needs a rest, so would also like to see Yesil (or another young striker) get a nod.

Player Toure in DM as Lucas needs a rest. Gerrard should be OK, but will need to come off on the hour mark.

lfc.8

Perhaps Ilori can get some game time. Along with Alberto, Aspas and Moses. Wouldn't play too weak a team though. Need to win first and foremost. But agreed, some players do deserve some rest.

Joshua179

I'd like to see Kelly, Alberto and Ibe get game time, if he Kelly isn't ready thou, McLaughlin should start. Smith too, feel he was hard done the other day being dropped in so late against a good team.

LiVeRp0oL89

I'd like to see Rossiter play some part in the match. If he can make the subs bench the last two games, Rodgers obviously doesn't feel he's that far off. Would also give Brad Smith a fair crack after debuting in such tricky conditions.

Others i'd like to see play would be McLaughlin, Alberto, Aspas, Kelly, Ilori, Ibe? (if fit).. ermm.. couldn't really care who else. Just rest as many regular first team players as possible please. Would take the risk if it meant our players were properly rested for Stoke..

cw37

Brendan knows if any of the lads are carrying any niggling injuries. Them that are can and should be rested. I would not go OTT with changes. We should go for the FA cup this season. And although Anfield is totally different from their cold breezy Boundary Park we all remember what happened last time. In fact i am sick of playing Oldham. I would have preferred Bury or even better Accrington Stanley. No matter what the line-up i expect a simple enough victory.

zagueiro

TIA Squad Member
Mascot88 said:
I'd like to see us resting a few for this. The league is too tight and the chance to finish well too great to mess about. The players have taken a battering over Christmas and need to head into the new year with a bit of recuperation.

Slightly experimental line up. Would like to see McLoughlin start, and Suarez needs a rest, so would also like to see Yesil (or another young striker) get a nod.

Player Toure in DM as Lucas needs a rest. Gerrard should be OK, but will need to come off on the hour mar
Mascot, you're one of the posters I usually take notice of, but Yesil.............that's seriously disappointing on your part. Please try and find out what is happening to our players before putting them in your formation :(

Redragbull

Would like to see all the midfield and attacking force made up of fringe/U21 players to give the A squad a well deserved rest. Although i'm going to the game and would like to see a spirited display from our youngsters, and they should get a result, if they are up for it, I'm not totally fussed about progressing in the FA cup when the league has to be a top priority.

Dublin_Kopite

TIA Legend
Yea, Yesil done his cruciate again recently..
Zag, not sure what's 'seriously disappointing' about including an injured player by accident...
I would also rest Skrtel too

Herb

McLaughlin is injured as well I think so he wont feature.

If these players are fit then I'd go with something like - Mignolet, Kelly, Toure, Agger, Cissokho, Lucas, Gerrard, Alberto, Ibe, Aspas, Moses. Have a feeling Ibe might be injured and nobody really knows where Kelly is at these days but I don't think we can afford to be overly cautious in this game despite our injury list. Get a healthy lead and then give rest to Lucas and Gerrard. Would definitely be resting Suarez, Henderson and Sterling for this one.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
Give the walking wounded a 10-day break before next league game. Give the subs a run, get used to playing in front of a crowd again.

No idea what BR will put on the field

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
Mignolet; Kelly, Toure, Agger, Cissokho; Lucas, Gerrard, Alberto; Moses, Aspas, Teixeira

Bench: Jones, Ilori, Smith, Rossiter, Brannagan, Coutinho, Sterling

Johnson, Skrtel, Henderson and Suarez rested. Lucas should probably sit this one out as well, but with Allen injured we're thin in midfield. Sturridge in for Brannagan if he's ready.

MikeOscar

Klopp Klopp
I'd go for as many youth players as possible, anyone remotely important for our league campaign should be rested. With all these games in quick succession, the risk of muscle injuries is vastly increased. Therefore:
Mignolet
Kelly - Illori - Toure - Smith
Rositer - Alberto - Texeira
Moses - Aspas - Ibe

Not sure on the fitness of Ibe if I'm honest. If he's not fit, get someone else from the U-21's to fill the spot. Yes, I realise it's a risk we can be knocked out of the Fa cup by Oldham, but frankly I don't really care. We finally got a chance to take the top4 spot, the focus should be on that. Everything else is just a distraction this season.

Under no condition do I want to see Henderson or Suarez involved. They're both carrying knocks and are too precious to risk. Perhaps it's smart to give Gerrard a run around to build some fitness up though.

LeoT

We need to win this for 2 reasons.

1. Ensure some of our players who usually warm the bench get a few matches.
2. Its the FA cup, so its a path to European football next season, (...the league is too tight to call).

I would make only a few changes to ensure victory without the need for a replay, a mixture of mainly 1st team starters and 2-3 players who usually start on the bench.
I think Jordan Ibe is still injured since the Blackpool match, if he's back then we could rest Sterling and play Jordan in his place.
I think Aspas & Alberto need to start this one for their own confidence and development.
Mignolet​
Kelly - Toure - Agger - Cissokho​
Lucas - Gerrard​
Sterling - Alberto - Moses​
Aspas​

Suarez, Lucas, Skrtel, Henderson & Coutinho all on the bench in case they're needed.

I reckon we'll win 2-0, though it may be a physical battle.

zagueiro

TIA Squad Member
LeoT said:
We need to win this for 2 reasons.

1. Ensure some of our players who usually warm the bench get a few matches.
2. Its the FA cup, so its a path to European football next season, (...the league is too tight to call).

I would make only a few changes to ensure victory without the need for a replay, a mixture of mainly 1st team starters and 2-3 players who usually start on the bench.
I think Jordan Ibe is still injured since the Blackpool match, if he's back then we could rest Sterling and play Jordan in his place.
I think Aspas & Alberto need to start this one for their own confidence and development.
Mignolet​
Kelly - Toure - Agger - Cissokho​
Lucas - Gerrard​
Sterling - Alberto - Moses​
Aspas​

Suarez, Lucas, Skrtel, Henderson & Coutinho all on the bench in case they're needed.

I reckon we'll win 2-0, though it may be a physical battle.
You must think Lucas is better than I do ;)

Reactions: ptt

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Something like:

Mignolet
Kelly-Toure-Agger-Cissokho
Gerrard--Henderson--Alberto
Moses-Aspas-Ibe

Look to get Henderson & Gerrard off as soon as the game is under control for Rossiter & Lucas.

Aspas looked comfortable pre-season against weaker opposition, I'd expect him to flourish against Oldham for this reason.

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
Moses and Aspas up front?

I would be happy if I was an Oldham fan.

I think we're going to score off of a corner or have to get some magic from Sterling.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
zagueiro said:
Mascot, you're one of the posters I usually take notice of, but Yesil.............that's seriously disappointing on your part. Please try and find out what is happening to our players before putting them in your formation :(
That's why I said 'or another young striker’ - I heard he was injured but didn't know for sure. No idea he'd done his crusciate again.

Sorry to disappoint you, but I do have a life away from LFC.

Edit: McLaughlin as well? Was really hoping to see him at some point...

Chewbazza

Ad-free Member
I think we have a bit more quality around than the last time we played this lot, so I'll hope to see a few players rested, Gerrard get some minutes as part of his return to action.

Any chance of the Egyptian Messi/Ribery being here in time for this one?

craigbellamy

Swinging away, hoping to land one on a motd idiot
If Costa signs in time, i'd like to see him upfront.

If not, then a run out for Alberto, aspas and ibe with Gerrard running midfield and Toure as Dm. Have Sterling and Suarez on the bench just in case.

I see 2-1 squeeker............ :p

slufsar

Aspas upfront and Alberto behind him. Thats what I'd like to see. I dont care about anything else as long as Hendo, Coutinho and Suarez gets rested

Mooki3

TIA First Team
Mignolet​
McLaughlin... Kelly... Ilori... Touré​
Gerrard​
Luis Alberto... Teixeira​
Victor Moses......................... Smith​
Iago Aspas​

SUBS:
Lloyd Jones
Brad Jones
Jordan Rossiter
Jerome Sinclair
Daniel Trickett-Smith / Marc Pelosi
Cameron Brannagan
Jack Dunn

Can't believe how many people are going for lads who have played 66% if not 100% of the last 3 games (Suarez et al.). Madness.

Anyway, my side: 'keeper doesn't need to rest. Would love to see McLaughlin start but if he's injured then stick Touré to RB and move Brad Smith to LB, take your pick from the bench. CBs explain themselves.

Gerrard in holding mid, needs 50-60 mins or so for fitness, if all is going well at this point bring on one of the young lads from the bench. Luis Alberto must start, simple as. Teixeira deserves some game time more than anyone from the reserves (based purely on what I have seen this season).

Moses & Smith can have a bit of a switch around go inverted at times, Moses can even go up-top and let Aspas play in one of those roles. A fluid front line, just like Rodgers would like.

​Of course if Jordan Ibe is fit then stick him in in place of Smith, find a spot for that lad on the bench

That side is good enough and should be hungry enough to beat Oldham at home / a lot of young lads get some vital 1st team experience in-front of the Kop.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
That is why it surprised me...thought I missed something

yiannos33

Believe
We need to rest some of our regular starters like Suarez,Hendo,Skrtel and Sterling.
I can see us grinding out a 2-1 win.

Status
Not open for further replies.