• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Pre-match | Liverpool vs Salzburg | Champions League | 02/10/2019 | KO 20:00 BST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
VS

Time to open this thread. Given the fact that we lost our first game in Napoli, it's already a cut-throat game for us. Win it, and we are confirmed as one of the two big teams in the group. Draw or lose it, and we'll have big problems.

In a sense, this game is already beyond the usual group stage stuff, it's almost like a latter stage game. This one and the return game at Salzburg will effectively decide who goes through alongside Napoli. This kind of pressure could help our lads to find their best form, and hopefully Anfield will be up for it, as so often on European nights!

Salzburg are currently first in the Austrian League, with 25 points from nine games. Since they annihilated Genk on their pitch two weeks ago with 6-2, they drew their next game 2-2 away from home, won 2-1 in the cup at Rapid Wien, before soundly beating Austria Wien 4-1 last week-end.

So, their attack is definitely in form lately, with twelve goals in the four last games. Their defensive solidity however can be questioned, with six goals received. So, if our frontmen find back a bit of their mojo, this could end up in a rout. All will depend on our lads taking their chances when they come. Hopefully that will be the case, fingers crossed. At the back, we'll have to be our usual solid selves against an in-form attacking line.

Surely Klopp will go with the strongest possible line-up again, given the massive importance of this game. I expect to see Mo, Mané and Bobby on the pitch, as well as our usual back four. Hendo, Gini and Fabinho started the game in midfield at Sheffield, and that's probably where we will see the changes. Millie will probably start this one, and let's see if Keita gets maybe a chance to shine against his former club. Ox could get a game too again.

Of course, everything will depend on the physical state of the players after a taxing game at Sheffield the other day. Maybe Gomez has an outside chance to start, instead of Matip or TAA for instance.

Whomever gets on the pitch: go the Reds, make us proud once again! (y) :cool:

trygve76

TIA New Signing
We have to be alert, Salzburg is a good team. I'm concerned about my compatriot Erling Braut Håland, their 19 year old attacker. He is a beast of a player. 6'3'', blistering pace and excellent finishing skills. He's someone who would fit very well at Liverpool, in fact. He scored a hat trick in the first half vs Gent and has scored 20 goals for Salzburg in 8 games or something. He's generally considered our finest attacking prospect for ages.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
We have to be alert, Salzburg is a good team. I'm concerned about my compatriot Erling Braut Håland, their 19 year old attacker. He is a beast of a player. 6'3'', blistering pace and excellent finishing skills. He's someone who would fit very well at Liverpool, in fact. He scored a hat trick in the first half vs Gent and has scored 20 goals for Salzburg in 8 games or something. He's generally considered our finest attacking prospect for ages.
Yeah, forgot to mention him. He seems a real player, and certainly one to be wary of. On the other hand, if one defence can stop him, it's ours.

Commando

Ad-free Member
Bloody hell, a home game. I'd forgotten that we have a home ground. Really looking forward to this. A European night under the lights.
It's no good me theorising about who'll play *, what formation we'll use or what tactics. Jurgen and his team will have been studying our opponents and monitoring our guys so will know better than me what we need.

* I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Chirivella will sit this one out.

COYR YNWA

nikz200

They have pretty much been dominating their local league with consecutive victories and then took the sword to Genk last game in the UCL. They also rested all their major players during their last league game and won 4-1 or something. Haland looks very impressive and dangerous with the kind of form to establish himself in the champions league.

My biggest concern in this game is we have Leicester this weekend and based on the Sheffield game, the front 3 look out of sorts lately. Will that seep into this game? Will be very interesting to see how we lineup, cause a draw won't cut it in this game, we need to win to get out of the group.

jaffod

They have pretty much been dominating their local league with consecutive victories and then took the sword to Genk last game in the UCL. They also rested all their major players during their last league game and won 4-1 or something. Haland looks very impressive and dangerous with the kind of form to establish himself in the champions league.

My biggest concern in this game is we have Leicester this weekend and based on the Sheffield game, the front 3 look out of sorts lately. Will that seep into this game? Will be very interesting to see how we lineup, cause a draw won't cut it in this game, we need to win to get out of the group.
Ideally we'd put this one to bed after an hour but as you say the front 3 are mis-firing atm, in fact we've generally been poor the last couple of weeks and need to right this tomorrow. I think we will and we'll win fairly comfortably. Whether we get enough breathing space to rest a few remains to be seen. JK tends not to pay too much attention to the next game with regards to selection/substitutions anyway so it's probably pointless speculating on it but the Leicester game is a big worry given the form they're in.
Matip has a knock apparently so I'd expect him to sit this one out. I can see a much changed midfield and wouldn't be surprised to see 2 of AOC, Keita and Lallana get a start. Expect the usual front 3 with Divock getting the last 20 minutes.
Salzburg are going to discover a world of difference between hammering cannon-fodder every week and being under the cosh against the European champions at Anfield.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
A niggle to Matip/Gomez/Lovren is never a surprise, so nothing new there. Expected Gomez to start one of the two next games anyway with the offensive threat and pace each side provide. Could see one change in midfield, too. Maybe Milner or Chamberlain in. All that means having the likes of Lovren, Keita and Brewster on the bench.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I’d move away from the Fab/Gini/Hendo midfield for this one.

Adrian
Trent Gomez Van Dijk Robbo
Fabinho
OxChamb Gini
Salah Firmino Mane
Get Keita on after an hour to find space among tiring players.

Magnus

This is going to be our toughest game so far this season, I am pretty certain of that. Victory, I am not certain of, but we probably do really need just that to advance, so crossing fingers and toes. Very excited and unfortunately also, somewhat fearful of this game. Salzburg is stronger than Napoli on paper these days. And although I love to see fantastic Norwegian strikers, a rarity in my own country, I could have done without a fit and hale Haaland tomorrow. He is in scary good form.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Shame for Matip but an injury was inevitable at some point and Gomez needs games. Can't see any drop off there. May be some rotation in midfield with Ox and Milner potential candidates to start. We have Leicester coming up on Saturday and that really will be our toughest game of the season so far. Salzburg are a decent side but we shouldn't go overboard about how difficult this game is. The away game could be tough but at Anfield we should be winning comfortably. We need the front 3 to start firing though. Not scoring enough goals at the moment and that's making things harder than they should be.

Magnus

Yes, and that shouldnt be particularly controversial. Have you not seen their fantastic results ? They score heaps of goals and Napoli is currently 4th with 12 points after 6 games if you want to compare. Dont underestimate Salzburg because of the Austrian league. Their 6-2 win against Genck shows that they can take their marvelous league form into the CL as well.

Flobs

FADA
I am going along with this being a tough match, even if playing at home is a gret advantage for us.
I know very little about Salzburg but having seen them in Europe last year they are a very hard working team that just doesn't give up this is what worries me most it's our philosophy so must not be underestimated. they might have a decent player or 2 as well (Keita and Mané went through their ranks).

Status
Not open for further replies.