• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Pre-match | Liverpool vs Salzburg | Champions League | 02/10/2019 | KO 20:00 BST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnus

Odd foul given there, but doesnt really matter. We need a slight team talk, because we have lost the ball in a few dangerous areas and they dont need many chances to score. Still a two goal cushion is more than good enough. If we had been as clinical as Bayern we would have had another goal as well (Salah), but this half has been blistering and totally excellent most of it. A damn fun game ! :)

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Some great football and a slight sign of complacency at the back. Maybe it's me but I haven't seen the real defensive solidity we had last season so far this term.
I agree. Altho our goals conceded say we are stout and tight defensively, it feels like something has been tweaked. Not a bad thing, or critique or stick, just that "how" we are defending feels different. If that makes any sense at all. Virgil's style or approach seems a little different too.

EDIT: and again, tip of the cap to Hwang bc that was a beauty.

Incognito

The Normal One
Think our midfield was actually pretty good, except that one error. The pass to trent by hendo was amazing for the robbo goal. And Fabinho as usual with a 8+ performance.

Just a bit sloppy in possession. Hendo's one got punished, Salah's didn't. Need to sort that out and focus, and get it done without much fuss.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Quite funny that we are winning 3-1 and the atmosphere is like a morgue because of their goal.

Expectations for this team are unreal. They've set the bar themselves but it seems unless we are literally perfect and win 5-0 every game they get more criticism than praise.
I wouldn't go that far but it's fairly obvious that we give look more vulnerable at the back than we did last season. Maybe the Alisson injury is a factor, but Adrain has looked assured, maybe last season was an anomaly and we are going to concede more often.

LFCFFC

Quite funny that we are winning 3-1 and the atmosphere is like a morgue because of their goal.

Expectations for this team are unreal. They've set the bar themselves but it seems unless we are literally perfect and win 5-0 every game they get more criticism than praise.
Just stuck my head in to gauge the HT reaction and yes, you'd think we were 3-1 down.

They are allowed to be human and make mistakes every now and then.

auzziez

Great first half. The fact that an opposition player needs to score a beautiful goal tells more about our shrewd defence than the scorer. We are so mean in defense that opposition needs to pull something special out of their bag to score against us. Not fussed about the goal conceded. Hoping we score a couple of more tonight.

RodM

Well I missed the first 4 minutes because DAZN couldn't get their act together but I enjoyed that. Second goal must be my favourite of the season so far: Right Back sets up goal for Left Back - that's insane.

A goal conceded is a bit of a downer (but well taken) we need to concentrate in the second half and put this one to bed.

LFCFFC

In this thread? Or somewhere else? Bc this seems like a fun atmosphere in here.
TIA in general really.

I'm sure it's mostly a product of our incredibly high standards, but conceding from mistakes happens to the best teams.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
we are trying to score more and being more advanced with our midfield .. hence why we are holding a higher back line . At times sides that play that way will concede but will score quite a few more.
I don't know mate, I think we always looked to be advanced and attack as our main priority. We seem unable to keep clean sheets and I always get the feeling we are going to concede in every game. If we score plenty then maybe it's not a huge concern but there will come games where we need to keep a clean sheet or a game where its very tight and it will decided by the odd goal.
I'm old fashioned would rather see us defend better.

Red over the water

Like everyone else I want us to win every game 5-0 or something crazy like that.

But thinking about it, I can see how conceding a goal can serve us. It reminds us of the need to keep working and not be complacent. It reminds us they have one or two tidy players. And it reminds us that there is more work to do to regain the solidity of last season at the back. We're not awful, but we can be better back there than what we've shown, overall, this season.

Hopefully we come out sharp and add another couple of goals by, say, the 70 minute mark, then rest one or two ahead of a tough game against Leicester.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member

Again where is it a "morgue", Sweeting? At Anfield or here? And I haven't seen any criticism at all. Only matter of fact observations.

EDIT: if by "criticism" you mean pointing out when Joe Gomez looked out of position or when two posters were dissecting play leading up to the Salzburg goal, I guess we have different definitions of criticism. To me I read that as people making matter-of-fact observations on what they saw and bouncing that into the thread for conversation.

This has seemed a fun match and fun thread tonight.

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
first half has been incredible for 2 reasons
first - we looked and played incredible -
second - VVD getting turned like that - that was an incredible move on the best defender in Europe
these guys will be tough when we go to Salzburg

Libero

Looks like their big unit might be getting some minutes. Will be interesting to see how they react and how we handle him.

Need to start the second half strongly, get another goal and kill off any chance of a comeback.

jabu

TIA New Signing
He lost it, but the defending after still has to be done, VVD has to cover the initial shot, but good skill from their man to turn back and finish so well.
nothing wrong with the defending, VVD got beat while trying to make a challenge, it happens. this team is a quick transition team, by losing the ball were he did, hendo made it difficult for our defense to quickly reset. Gomez and VVD did the best they could. the opposition player made a nice move

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
first half has been incredible for 2 reasons
first - we looked and played incredible -
second - VVD getting turned like that - that was an incredible move on the best defender in Europe
these guys will be tough when we go to Salzburg
gotta win our home games. I watched Genk-Napoli earlier and Genk will be no push overs either. They move it around well and looked a very fit team full of running. They probably should have won the game to be fair to them.

Magnus

I dont really understand you. I have been trawling this thread, have seen no negativity except a couple of mentions that Gomez might not be at his very best and the forum mandatory (really, have you ever been on a football forum where goals conceded have not been gently criticised?) Light criticsm of concsession (which most ppl agreed was mostly due to the skills of a good attacker). Where is this novel negativity ? Certainly not here nor in the stadium ! :) Let us enjoy the match instead of worrying about the slightest of critiscism :)

Status
Not open for further replies.