PRE Match: Liverpool vs Stoke(Premier League: Sun, 07.10.12; 15:00 BST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

themedic

TIA Youth Team
We're going into this game on the back of a first PL win where we battered a poor Norwich side helped by Luis's brilliance and a disappointing loss against Udinese.

Common theme of both matches (and our season so far really) is great possession undermined by sloppy defensive errors.

Stoke have been on decent form of late, only losing once so far this season, away to Chelsea. Crouch has hit 4 goals and would relish his chances scoring against us.

My team:

GK: Reina
DF: Wisdom Skrtel Agger Johnson
MF: Sahin Allen Gerrard
FW: Suarez Borini Sterling

Really hope we get that first league win at Anfield.

gb1986

This is all going to come down to how well we deal with the set pieces for me... If we can then i think we'll get a decent win by a couple of goals, if we don't i can see a draw or worse :-(

The lads will be up for this though i'm certain of it.

I'd go for the same team as themedic although i'd maybe swap Borini for Suso.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
Stoke's league run in the last five games: DDDLW. It should be noted that they had to play Arsenal (H), Wigan (A), Man City (H), Chelsea (A), and an in-form Swansea (H). This is a tough run of games, and they came out of it quite well (six points).

Chelsea only managed to get their winner late, late in the game. They are a formidably physical side, but it will be interesting to see how the likes of Sterling, Suso or Sahin will cope with this challenge. We have already seen how technical sides manage to crush this kind of utterly physical, yet a bit flumsy teams.

I'd go with a somewhat controversial side: fielding our smallest, yet most technical players, to let them run circles around them.

Reina​

Wisdom Skrtel Agger Johnson​

Sahin Allen Suso​

Suarez Gerrard Sterling​

Bench: Jones, Carragher, Robinson, Henderson, Shelvey, Pacheco, Borini​

Not expecting this to happen, but I'd like to see Gerrard taken out of the midfield three, and pushed up in the frontline...

TheKaiser

Banned Users
With the kind of goalscoring form he's in, I'd be loath to move Suarez out of the center of the attack, even if he can offer a lot from a wider position. With that in mind, I'd play Sterling and Borini either side of him, and Shelvey in front of Sahin and Allen.

I would have preferred to keep Sterling out of this one because I think Stoke will kick lumps out of him, but if he can withstand that, he can probably run them ragged. He looked very keen last night when he came on.

Bring on Gerrard or Suso for Shelvey if he begins to switch off or grow tired. Put Yesil on the bench to get a run out if we've got the game won with time to spare. Suarez and Sterling need to be protected from constant kicking if we have the result in hand.

Charlie Adam will have a point to prove so we'll need to close him down as he'll inevitably run toward goal and take pot shots from outside the box. Allen should be able to marshal him since he has no pace, but we can't be complacent and leave holes in the midfield like we did last night because he'll charge into it, regardless of the situation behind him.

gb1986

With the kind of goalscoring form he's in, I'd be loath to move Suarez out of the center of the attack, even if he can offer a lot from a wider position. With that in mind, I'd play Sterling and Borini either side of him, and Shelvey in front of Sahin and Allen.

I would have preferred to keep Sterling out of this one because I think Stoke will kick lumps out of him, but if he can withstand that, he can probably run them ragged. He looked very keen last night when he came on.

Bring on Gerrard or Suso for Shelvey if he begins to switch off or grow tired. Put Yesil on the bench to get a run out if we've got the game won with time to spare. Suarez and Sterling need to be protected from constant kicking if we have the result in hand.

Charlie Adam will have a point to prove so we'll need to close him down as he'll inevitably run toward goal and take pot shots from outside the box. Allen should be able to marshal him since he has no pace, but we can't be complacent and leave holes in the midfield like we did last night because he'll charge into it, regardless of the situation behind him.
Shelvey is suspended mate

Hope in your heart

Admin
With the kind of goalscoring form he's in, I'd be loath to move Suarez out of the center of the attack, even if he can offer a lot from a wider position. (...)
I can understand this point. Maybe it's better then to have this:

Gerrard Suarez Sterling​

Borini hasn't done enough to deserve a starting spot imo.​

TheKaiser

Banned Users
Shelvey is suspended mate
Ah, forgot that he had one more game left. No choice really then in Gerrard, although I think Suso would be a better option behind the strikers.

I can understand this point. Maybe it's better then to have this:

Gerrard Suarez Sterling​

Borini hasn't done enough to deserve a starting spot imo.
I think Borini creates space for players around him even if he's not scoring, but I'd be fine with Assaidi or Gerrard, although with Gerrard I'd worry that he'd too often float in centrally and bring defenders with him to clog things up through the middle. If he's going to play, I think he needs to play behind the striker. I still don't think he's the best option we have for any of the midfield positions right now, but I'd be worried that we wouldn't have much of a right flank with him there.

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
We have already seen how technical sides manage to crush this kind of utterly physical, yet a bit flumsy teams.
Who did we crush that was utterly physical like stoke?

Honestly, I think we'll struggle with this match. Stoke aren't just physical but extremely well organized. This will be a big test for our tiki taka (hate that word) style of play. I fear that if we can't get a rythm we could lose one nil. Last night didn't help our momentum much.

Pulis is going to tell his midfield to set a physical tone and lay the wood to some people to disrupt our play, and I don't blame him. I hope we can cope. More than anything I hope we can learn how to deal with it.

Hope in your heart

Admin
I think Borini creates space for players around him even if he's not scoring, but I'd be fine with Assaidi or Gerrard, although with Gerrard I'd worry that he'd too often float in centrally and bring defenders with him to clog things up through the middle. If he's going to play, I think he needs to play behind the striker. I still don't think he's the best option we have for any of the midfield positions right now, but I'd be worried that we wouldn't have much of a right flank with him there.
Well, he was impressive when Rafa put him on the right (I know, quite some time gone since then), and that would allow Suso to be the one linking up with the forward line:

Allen Sahin​

Suso​

Gerrard Suarez Sterling​

Hope in your heart

Admin
Who did we crush that was utterly physical like stoke?

Honestly, I think we'll struggle with this match. Stoke aren't just physical but extremely well organized. This will be a big test for our tiki taka (hate that word) style of play. I fear that if we can't get a rythm we could lose one nil. Last night didn't help our momentum much.
Not us. I mean when sides like Barca meet that kind of teams. The fact that they are small players doesn't hinder them, on the contrary. That's what I meant by playing with small, tricky, fast players like Suso, Pacheco, Sahin, Allen, Sterling, Suarez etc.

But I agree that we will need to be at our best to take the three points. They are dangerous.

RedBaron

Curse you RedBaron!!!!
Hopefully we will win. However the way we are playing of late, I see a 70/30 possession ratio in our favour ending in a 1-0 loss or at best a 1-1 draw.
We should get an uncomfortable win, but I just don't see it happening. Cannot rely on Suarez in every game we play.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Long ball. Long throw ins. Play everyone above 6 foot. More of a volley ball competition than a football game. I think the likes of Sahin and a few newbies will have problems playing with this anti-football, physical side who manipulate the pitch every chance they get.

Team picks itself, with limited resources. As long as we keep Shawcross away from Sterling I am all good. That fella is one dirty tackler.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Pulis is going to tell his midfield to set a physical tone and lay the wood to some people to disrupt our play, and I don't blame him. I hope we can cope. More than anything I hope we can learn how to deal with it.
I expect at least one non-penalty on Suarez that will trump anything we have seen this season.

steve10

TIA New Signing
I hope that we stick with the same team that beat Norwich. Suarez plays better imo when he plays in the middle in a free role without a central striker.

InFrontOfTheKop

This is the team for me:
Reina​
Wisdom Agger Skrtel Johnson​
Sahin Gerrard​
Suso​
Suarez Borini Sterling​

Borini ought to get a league start. However, if Allen starts, which would come as no surprise, then I reckon Borini is the man that will be dropped. Suso deserves another start, and if our midfield trio ends up being Sahin-Gerrard-Allen, he will likely be moved back to the right wing.

Looking for a win here.

Hopefully we will win. However the way we are playing of late, I see a 70/30 possession ratio in our favour ending in a 1-0 loss or at best a 1-1 draw.
I completely expect this sort of game. We will dominate throughout but won't be able to find the net. Stoke will get a cheap goal from a long throw early on and will park the bus the rest of the match.

That being said, I'm an optimist. 2-1 to the Reds. Suarez and Sahin.

OhYaBeauty

Reina

Wisdom Skrtel Agger Johnson

Sahin Henderson Suso

Suarez Gerrard Sterling

or even leave Gerrard out

Reina

Sahin Henderson Allen
Suarez Suso Sterling
Although most of us would like to see him play there instead of in midfield, Gerrard won't play as a striker. He has too much pull with Rodgers, who will play him where Gerrard wants (somewhere in the midfield).

Suso is not, nor will he ever be, a striker. He's an attacking midfielder who can do a job on the right wing. Being a striker is a misuse of his abilities, and a waste of a man on the pitch. He's more or less useless there.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
This game is made for Joe Allen. I think we pass them to death and win easy, perhaps even a Stoke player gets ent off. Pepe with his first clean sheet to send us to another international break.

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
I agree with Hopes team. Stevie on the right with less duties running back as he has messed that up a bit lately, also leaves less room for misplaced passes and allows him the freedom to play to his strengths, mainly attacking. This also allows Suso to play in what i think is his best position.

The only other thing i would do because of their height is play the only player we have that could compete with Crouch, Coates. I'd play Glen, Skrtel, Coates and Agger in that order. I hate moving Agger out to the left but lets be honest, nearly all their goals are scored by or provided by Crouch and if we can negate them i really think we can stop them dead. Also by playing Sahin next to Allen they can share the DM responsibility 50/50

Dhoff3

TIA Squad Member
I think we'll see the same set up as we had against Norwich with Suso to get the start. I'd love to see us keep a clean sheet here. I think we'll win this game. I'm saying 2-1. Also think one of our youngsters will chip in with a goal. I'm saying goals to Agger off a set piece and one from Sterling.

BrianLfc10

TIA New Signing
Gonna be a really tough test I think. Our defence has been so shakey of late and will get no rest against a physical Stoke side. Need to be very very weary of set pieces. I would go with..

Reina​
Wisdom Skertl Agger Johnson​
Sahin Gerrard Allen​
Suso Suarez Sterling​

Think the more pace and trickery we can provide the more trouble we will give the stoke team as I think they could struggle with some of our pacey / tricky players. Assaidi and Borini to come on sometime later in the second half for Suso and Sterling with Jonjo coming on for Sahin at some stage as well.

ptt

2019, a year of incredible celebration
Reina

Sahin Henderson Suso

Suarez Gerrard Sterling

or even leave Gerrard out

Reina

Sahin Henderson Allen
Suarez Suso Sterling
No Allen Doggie?

I'd instruct SG to hang back with Allen and Sahin ahead with Henderson coming on for whichever's knackered / worst after 60 mins.

Borini upfront flanked by Suso and Sterling with the bullets coming from midfield should be fantastic.

D.hughes

TIA Youth Team
Abit worrying how our "exciting" signing in borini failes to make a lot of fans line up for this game. He has been a huge failure so far for me.yes only a few games gone but the way people were going onabout him when we signed him , I thought we had the next michael owen (in his day) anyway, tough game, going for 2-1 win. Suarez brace

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
Abit worrying how our "exciting" signing in borini failes to make a lot of fans line up for this game. He has been a huge failure so far for me.yes only a few games gone but the way people were going onabout him when we signed him , I thought we had the next michael owen (in his day) anyway, tough game, going for 2-1 win. Suarez brace
Ya, the worst part is when people bring up the runs he makes and him 'putting in a shift'. Cliche for not good. Rough start for him no doubt. i'm not sure if Suso can play wing forward in 4-3-3, but if he can then him and Sterling with Suarez for me.

BrianLfc10

TIA New Signing
I wouldn't have him in the line up purely because he just picked up a slight injury and you don't want t rush him back to quickly. When fully fit I think I would definitely have him in most games. He hasn't scored yet in the PL and people are hitting him for it but his movement, work rate and tenacity are remarkable and I think he will come due in time. A brace in a game or maybe a little 3 goals in 2 games run should get him going nicely. He has phenomenal awareness in and around the box, it's not his fault his team mates are failing to notice his movement / runs.

REDSkins

TIA Youth Team
Well, he was impressive when Rafa put him on the right (I know, quite some time gone since then), and that would allow Suso to be the one linking up with the forward line:

Allen Sahin​

Suso​

Gerrard Suarez Sterling​
Digging this. Though I'm sure we can agree that it's likely to be Gerrard where Suso is and probably Borini in the front 3 (maybe a start for Assaidi if Borini's beat up). I think Suarez really gets a kick out of scoring against sides like this. He has done it before to Stoke. But...

I expect at least one non-penalty on Suarez that will trump anything we have seen this season.
...yeah. This post has me chuckling, for sure, but the thought of Shawcross shattering Luis's knee sobers me up pretty quick.

As for the calls to play Coates, I can see the sense in it. But Wisdom's a pretty big fookin lad, even if he's not 6'6," and since it's at Anfield I think we will take the game to them which means we won't look to counter their strengths but impose our own. Oh, and Nuri, I dont think the physicality will bother him as the Bundesliga isn't exactly gentle. Stoke is mostly shit on the road, and if Charlie Adam plays, Whelan is going to have a lot to do.

Think we'll get the Anfield win, finally. Anyone know where I can check to find out who the referee will be, when it's announced?

Would LOVE to see Michael Owen get a run out and catch a mighty elbow to the face from Danny...tho I won't keep my hopes up lol

No Men in the Box Redux

Keyboard Warrior
Anyone thought of playing Coates, his size would be great against their set pieces and apart from the OG he played well against Udinese. Played well against Stoke last year as well, maybe swap him for Skrtel
I completely agree. Coates is a beast in the air and one thing I've noticed about Stoke is that for all their offensive threat in the air, they are far from secure in the back when other teams use the same tactic back at them. Stoke's marking is pretty bad on set pieces and I've seen them conceive goals very easily from them time and time again.

I also believe that Coates should get a try at partnering with Agger. We can't let Skrtel get the impression that he is untouchable.

Otherwise, the team kind of picks itself. Would like to see Wisdom on the right and Glen on the left once again.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
We know Stoke will be physical so we need to handle that as best we can, obviously.

Like to see Hendo start and probably Coates, that certainly means fiddling with the defence so I'd reluctantly move Agger to the left.
I'd go for: Reina

Johnson Skrtel Coates Agger

Sahin Henderson Allen

Sterling Saurez Suso

Not a great fan of Luis at CF but don't see much choice, Borini is not cutting it for me at the minute.

Like to see something of Assaidi at some point too.

ptt

2019, a year of incredible celebration
Out on a limb here guys but does anybody else see Agger as a natural DM?

Reina

Wilson Skrtel Coates Johnson

Agger

Sahin Allen

Sterling Saurez Suso

I'd bench Gerrard and show him the video of Udi's 3rd goal again and again and again for the reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.