• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

PRE Match: Liverpool vs Stoke(Premier League: Sun, 07.10.12; 15:00 BST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Abit worrying how our "exciting" signing in borini failes to make a lot of fans line up for this game. He has been a huge failure so far for me.yes only a few games gone but the way people were going onabout him when we signed him , I thought we had the next michael owen (in his day) anyway, tough game, going for 2-1 win. Suarez brace
The exciting player was Joe Allen.

If you thought we had the next Michael Owen then that's your own fault, nobody painted him out to be anything near that standard.

Onto the game, I think Coates deserves a spot ahead of Skrtel based off this season's form. Want to see Suarez in the centre, suso and sterling either side. Midfield picks itself, Henderson has been pretty impressive this season though so I wouldn't mind seeing Stevie in one of the front 3 positions with Henderson, Allen and Sahin in the centre.

Pass them to death, if we keep the ball in their half like we did vs Udinese (first half) we'll open them up easily I think, even if they do park the bus. I'm sure Sterling, Suso and Suarez will buy a few dangerous freekicks from running at their defenders too.

Hold a high line, eliminating Crouch's game, press very hard and get men in the box. Score early and we'll batter these.

daddydave

TIA Youth Team
-----------------reina------------------
Wisdom-skrtel-Coates-Johnson
---------------Allen--------------------
--------sahin-----------Gerrard-----
Suso---------Saurez-------sterling

With so many players hitting form it's becoming harder to pick a starting 11. With Shelvey out and agger not 100% this would be my pick

cardiffpete

TIA Reserve Team
Team should mostly pick itself. I'd hope for
Reina
Johnson Skrtel Agger Robinson
Gerrard Allen
Sahin
Suso Suarez Sterling​

Bench: Jones, Wisdom, Coates, Borini, Hendo, Downing, Assaidi​

Sahin already looks tailor-made for the playmaker role, especially with his understanding with Suarez developing very nicely. Gerrard and Allen to hold and spread play behind him also seems a given.

Wisdom/Johnson are probably the most obvious choices to feature against Stoke at RB/LB ...though (personally) I would much rather that Robinson was already being fast-tracked into the Starting XI at LB. Robinson was extremely good against both WBA and Udinese ...and surely it can only be a matter of time now before he becomes our first choice LB in the League as well. Maybe wishful thinking, but I'm fairly sure BR will have been very impressed by Robinson lately. To me, he's quick, alert, very crisp in his passing, defensively very sound and has a fine footballing brain. I would probably even go as far as to expect Robbo to be our first choice LB long before year's end. Already playing him against Stoke would be a very bold move, although BR has not exactly shied away from bold decisions thus far. Wisdom/Johnson still by far the most likely choices though.

Another dilemna could be the choice between Suso and Borini. Borini had a very fine game against Udinese and one that might merit inclusion, though I would tend to prefer Suso - as that then offers the tantalising prospect of operating with dual-playmakers - in both him and Sahin. Borini would probably be the safer option here, as Suso mightn't be able to last a full match. Personally, I'd go with Suso though.

Final thought. Suarez looks to be far more comfortable this season in the 4-3-3 we now deploy. His best scoring form also came at Ajax (also a 4-3-3) ...so he knows the system inside out and has already proven that he can score loads of goals in this style of play. I'm most of all looking forward to his combination play with Sahin against Stoke.

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
Not a huge fan of Suso on the right. Like Borini, he plays better centrally.

I'd love to see our little technical players out there, running about giving those thugs that play for the anti footballing team that is Stoke. No doubt they'd foul us mercilessly.

Only thing is that we'd get no decisions, and lose 1-0. Expecting more of what we've seen this season.

Hopefully I'm wrong and all the fouls in the box that Stoke commit are correctly judged. Bit of a shame that refereeing decisions are the first thing that I think about going into a Premier League match but that's the sad position we find ourselves in.

Here's hoping we can get a clean sheet. Our first in 10 bloody matches....

boston red

Show me the Mane.
.Reina Wisdom Skrtel Agger Johnson Allen Sahin Suso Gerrard Suarez Sterling

redamerican

If he's going to play, I think he needs to play behind the striker. I still don't think he's the best option we have for any of the midfield positions right now, but I'd be worried that we wouldn't have much of a right flank with him there.
I like Gerrard being behind the striker. Seemed like that was the idea for the most part against Norwich and it worked prety well albeit against a disaster of a back four but I still would love seeing him on the right if he can "stay in his lane". Although the advantage to having him up front might be that we might actually get a few calls that you know Suarez won't get. Little nervous about what the likes of Shawcross and the rest of the thugs may do to Suarez and Sterling.

Ssneo

TIA Youth Team
My humble opinion:

The problem with playing SG behind Suarez is SG tend to drop too deep to receive passes from the defense, thus leaving Saurez up short. SG doesnt seem to trust his fellow players and being captain fantastic, tend to want to do all by himself. The other lads will always look to pass to SG when he is avaliable even though there might be other better options avaliable. Many occasions we will have 6-7 in our own half thus there is no link up play to the forwards, forcing Suarez to drop deep to receive the ball. Thus when SG has a good game, the results turn out well, but if he screws up the whole team tend to go down too.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
I am going against the grain and putting Borini in my side, i think he's made a bigger contribution than most people acknowledge,i'd also play him where he is strongest-centrally. His work-rate and attitude are Kuytesque.

Will be a really tough game but hopefully our technical superiority will prove too much in a narrow 2-1 win. We really need to start improving our home record with a few wins. Would be nice to keep clean sheet, what is it now? Something like 1 in 20 i think? Really hope we can tighten up at the back and cut out the silly errors and give Pep a bit more protection. How we miss Lucas, defensively.

My team would be:

...................................Reina....................
Wisdom...........Skrtel............Agger............Johnson
.........Gerrard..............Allen.............Sahin..............
Suarez.......................Borini........................Sterling

Does anyone know if this game is on tele, in the UK?

theres always tommorrow

If we win it this year I’m changing my name tag
Stoke will aim to rattle our new boys with their physical game. Set pieces will be a problem especially if Pepe starts flapping. If I were Brendan I would sit the whole team down and say if comes anywhere near our box hoof it out and be strong (Carra will love it and Skyrtle will get it). If we try to play it out they will bully and harass us.

I would have Sahin in midfield because he is quite good at nicking balls from oncoming strikers and terrific at turning a defensive action into an attacking opportunity. His forward passes are inteligent, accurate and will unlock the Stoke stonewall defence. I think he could be the diference in the usual war of attrition that Stoke provide. If all goes well 2-0

theres always tommorrow

If we win it this year I’m changing my name tag
I am going against the grain and putting Borini in my side, i think he's made a bigger contribution than most people acknowledge,i'd also play him where he is strongest-centrally. His work-rate and attitude are Kuytesque.

Will be a really tough game but hopefully our technical superiority will prove too much in a narrow 2-1 win. We really need to start improving our home record with a few wins. Would be nice to keep clean sheet, what is it now? Something like 1 in 20 i think? Really hope we can tighten up at the back and cut out the silly errors and give Pep a bit more protection. How we miss Lucas, defensively.

My team would be:

...................................Reina....................
Wisdom...........Skrtel............Agger............Johnson
.........Gerrard..............Allen.............Sahin..............
Suarez.......................Borini........................Sterling

Does anyone know if this game is on tele, in the UK?
No you will need to find a stream try http://www.wiziwig.tv/index.php?part=sports

blndcat

TIA Youth Team
No matter what you think of the relative success/failure of his year here, you have to give Charlie massive respect for wanting to play and not just sit and get paid.

Let's end the successive home defeats and grab a clean sheet. Optimistic about our playing style but we still need the results and to be more clinical. I think Rodgers was dead right when he used the word "lazy".

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
I agree with the call to drop Gerrard for this one. You can't let the captain get away with things... it sets an especially bad example for others.

I would play Henderson because Allen might need a hand coping with the physicality of the game.

...........................Reina....................
Wisdom........Skrtel............Agger............Johnson
.................Henderson........Allen................
.................................Sahin.......................
Suarez....................Borini......................Sterling

football.tiger

TIA Squad Member
Reina​
Wisdom Coates Agger Johnson​
Allen Henderson​
Gerrard Sahin Sterling​
Suarez​

Or switch Gerrard to the other side to cut inside and allow Johnson to bomb on, and Sterling to stretch the pitch on the right-wing...

Doggie

Resident Optimist
Suso is not, nor will he ever be, a striker. He's an attacking midfielder who can do a job on the right wing. Being a striker is a misuse of his abilities, and a waste of a man on the pitch. He's more or less useless there.
Suso looks good in and around the box to me, I'm sure he will grab a few goals.
No Allen Doggie?

I'd instruct SG to hang back with Allen and Sahin ahead with Henderson coming on for whichever's knackered / worst after 60 mins.

Borini upfront flanked by Suso and Sterling with the bullets coming from midfield should be fantastic.
Aye - in my alternative suggestion instead of Gerrard - he did play a full game on Thursday however.

Druss

TIA Reserve Team
Think we're going to dominate this game much like the previous matches. I don't think stoke will bully us. Our lads will be able to cope with that side of the game.

What I do worry about is the high balls over our defense. On Thursday our defense didn't cope well with any long/high ball. I think carra was mainly responsible. Coates I thought played quite well and I think he deserves a place. Especially as BR wants players playing on form and not reputation. His Ariel ability should also help counteract crouch. My team:

Reina
Wisdom/johnson. Agga. Coates. Johnson/Enrique
Gerrard. Allen. Sahin
Sterling. Suarez. Suso

Suso is probably better in the AM role. But I want him on cause I think him Suarez and sahin will link up really well. Infact I think all the front six will link up incredibly well

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I don't think we will but if the team was picked 100% on who has been playing well were we would see (controversial I know):

------------------Reina--------------------
Wisdom--Coates--Agger--Johnson
----------------Henderson---------------
------------Gerrard---Sahin-------------
----Suso------Suarez------Sterling---

Or (even more controversial)

-----------------Reina--------------------
----------Henderson--Allen------------
-----------------Sahin---------------------
--Suso--------Suarez------Sterling----

Based on form Henderson should play as lone DM or part of a 2 man partnership with Allen. Sahin has to play on form as do Suso, Sterling, Suarez and Agger. Reina just edges Jones on form despite the errors. If Gerrard plays it should be at Allens expense as Allen hasn't fully been effective in the holding role and really needs to play as the defensively conscious box to box playmaker which got him here and where he can influence the whole performance of the squad, but if he does it should be at expense of Gerrard not Sahin. For me Coates just edges it over Skrtel both on form and for the challenge Stoke present. Full backs not so sure but Wisdom and Johnson probably just bit more ready for this one than Robinson.

No Men in the Box Redux

Keyboard Warrior
-----------------Reina--------------------
----------Henderson--Allen------------
-----------------Sahin---------------------
--Suso--------Suarez------Sterling----
I would like to see your second team but I don't think it will happen. There aren't many managers out there that have the guts to bench their captains.

TippRed

TIA Youth Team
Reina
wisdom Skrtel Agger johnson
Sahin Allen
Suso
Gerard Suarez Sterling

also i have to say its quite sad that a thread about Ian Ayre has as many pages as a thread about our upcoming EPL game.
Are we football fans or buisness men :(

TippRed

TIA Youth Team
:( think I may be responsible for some of that tippred.
stick with the football. you'll get mind tangled and depressed in those other threads ;)
as ever i'm scared and exited about the game tomorrow. But we will Win.
any report going around on the u18,s today. I have it recorded but the missus is watching X factor.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
stick with the football. you'll get mind tangled and depressed in those other threads ;)
as ever i'm scared and exited about the game tomorrow. But we will Win.
any report going around on the u18,s today. I have it recorded but the missus is watching X factor.
Never seen a smarter thing said ive made my last post in there football only from now on thank you wise one.

I also am confident of a win just got good feeling.

Would tell you bout the game but dont want to ruin surprise for you lets just say kids are alright.

mappen1977

TIA Reserve Team
Im just looking for us to start putting a few back to back wins together in the league. If we can be in a good place come January and bring in a foward we could kick on as the team have been playing some good stuff. We are on one injury to Suarez away from a nightmare really so hopefully we can get the points early against a physical side and then rest him. Be intresting to see how Stoke approach the game, they beat Swansea recently who have been in good form.

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
... they beat Swansea recently who have been in good form.
Thug rugby style beat tiki taka, imagine that...

I'm just being funny guys. I subscribe to our new style but have no patience for condeding goals and thus LOSING a lot.

Today is another test of the "good guys who try to play football" against a destructive "NBA/rugby long ball outfit".

Rafa's style was to play 4 CB's against them. I saw some forumites are suggesting 3 CB's with Daniel on the left and Seb and Martin in the mddile. Maybe we could also start Jamie on the right and have 4 CBs!

What will BR do?

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
Cant see this ending well.
We'll pass them to death, miss chance after chance, and get caught out from a dangerous throw in.

TheKaiser

Banned Users
With the form in Suarez is in, I don't see us 'missing chance after chance'. We'll more than likely concede a goal, probably on direct play to Crouch. My prediction is 2-1, Suarez and Raheem to get his first senior goal.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Thug rugby style beat tiki taka, imagine that...

I'm just being funny guys. I subscribe to our new style but have no patience for condeding goals and thus LOSING a lot.

Today is another test of the "good guys who try to play football" against a destructive "NBA/rugby long ball outfit".

Rafa's style was to play 4 CB's against them. I saw some forumites are suggesting 3 CB's with Daniel on the left and Seb and Martin in the mddile. Maybe we could also start Jamie on the right and have 4 CBs!

What will BR do?
Please god not that. For one thing as physical as Stoke are if we abandon our principles for a game at home against a side that has never been more than mid table then our footballing principles are just not worth it. Setting up specifically to deal with Barca or Real Madrid would be one thing. But to combat Stoke is defeatist.

NZred

The Red From NZ
Already a very definite split in the table. Even winning our next two matches really won't see us move anywhere on the table.

TheKaiser

Banned Users
Already a very definite split in the table. Even winning our next two matches really won't see us move anywhere on the table.
It won't be dramatic, but tomorrow we can move up to 11th, which is 3 spots. It's not really nothing.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Well aint you just a barrell of laughs? If we beat Stoke an United lose away at Newcastle we will be 3 points off United. Should they start worrying too? Dont think table can really be used as a yard stick this early in season, we have seen teams in top 4 at this point go on to get relegated before. Its far too early for table to say anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.