• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

PRE Match: Liverpool vs Stoke(Premier League: Sun, 07.10.12; 15:00 BST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Already a very definite split in the table. Even winning our next two matches really won't see us move anywhere on the table.
It's lucky for us then that there's no prizes to be won and lost after 8 games played in the league.

You're just moaning for moaning's sake.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Had the misfortune of going to this game last season. 90 minutes of my life I'll never get back. Absolutely abysmal.

I can't stand Stoke, a Wimbledon for the 21st century. And there's even more reason to dislike them this season with Mr Owen likely to put in an appearance. I excuse Crouchy of course from any of this and I even have a soft spot for Charlie Adam. Wonder if he'll do what he did in this game last season and try a shot from the halfway line? Knowing our luck it'll probably go in.

Last season we didn't have Suarez in this fixture and it showed. I'd back us to beat most teams when he's on form and reckon he'll be the difference today. Sure there'll be a few nervous moments defensively and I fear for Sterling's health against this bunch of neanderthals, so any kind of victory with everyone of our players leaving the pitch with a full set of limbs will do for me.

Doggie

Resident Optimist
I'm sure I read somewhere that Sterling is the most fouled player in the PL - I guess that will only increase after today. Hope the ref is on the ball.

The other thing I want to see today is a clean sheet for once.

boston red

Show me the Mane.
With most the crew back in for this one i can ONLY see a win Stoke will put it up to us in the 1st half think even then we 1 or 2 up 2nd half they will be huffing and puffing from being past to death they'll foul more with yellows then red possibly a penalty dare i say it.. YNWA

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
so any kind of victory with everyone of our players leaving the pitch with a full set of limbs will do for me.
That is my biggest concern when it comes to playing Stoke. Shawcross is one bad tackler and nearly ended a fair few of player's career. I sure hope Suso, Sterling and especially Suarez not going get that sort of treatment from this dirty bastard. Hate Stoke, the Delap long throw and the long ball to Walters. Hope we get some sort of calls by the ref in this game, extremely crucial we are not going to be used as an example of not complaining to Riley in this game.

Gervinho's Forehead

Absolutely buzzing for this one. I think Stoke are gunna struggle with our passing game, and the pace our forward line has. Joe Allen and Nuri will dictate the tempo and allow Gerrard to get forward and support the front three and provided Suarez continues his form, I see a 2 or 3 nil win. Hoping for Sterlings first goal, that'll help his confidence no end... COME ON YOU REDS!

LFC_4EVER

TIA New Signing
Wats going on with Enrique? Is he still injuried? I've heard that he step a few paces behind on Brendon's list as left backs?

gb1986

That is my biggest concern when it comes to playing Stoke. Shawcross is one bad tackler and nearly ended a fair few of player's career. I sure hope Suso, Sterling and especially Suarez not going get that sort of treatment from this dirty bastard. Hate Stoke, the Delap long throw and the long ball to Walters. Hope we get some sort of calls by the ref in this game, extremely crucial we are not going to be used as an example of not complaining to Riley in this game.
A bit harsh on young Ryan there maybe? The only really bad tackle i remember was the Ramsey one and Shawcross was visibly distraught after it, i'm pretty sure he cried, i think even Wenger has come out and said he's cleaned his game up. I don't think he is a 'dirty bastard' at all, committed and reckless maybe but by no means intentionally dirty in my mind.

More worried about Huth standing on top of Reina at corners today if i'm honest than many reckless challenges flying in.
I do have a feeling we might get a bit more rub of the green regarding refs today though, i mean it's about time a decision or two went our way.

jimmydestiny

In between the lines
If Shelvey was available I'd be playing the 5S up top.

Sahin Shelvey
Sterling Suarez Suso

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Think people misunderstand Stoke sometime. They aren't Wimbledon style dirty they are sneaky dirty.

Lots of sneaky elbows and studs raked down calfs whilst running. Lots of shoulder barges and body checks.

All the stuff that doesn't get picked up on and almost never gets carded, won't neccesarily cause serious injury but will disrupt the game on the day.

And then their big bruisers go down like a sack of spuds under lightest contact. Expect to see more against us than for us.

gb1986

Think people misunderstand Stoke sometime. They aren't Wimbledon style dirty they are sneaky dirty.

Lots of sneaky elbows and studs raked down calfs whilst running. Lots of shoulder barges and body checks.

All the stuff that doesn't get picked up on and almost never gets carded, won't neccesarily cause serious injury but will disrupt the game on the day.

And then their big bruisers go down like a sack of spuds under lightest contact. Expect to see more against us than for us.
Every team in this league is 'sneaky dirty'

Arminius

FSG PR plant
A bit harsh on young Ryan there maybe? The only really bad tackle i remember was the Ramsey one and Shawcross was visibly distraught after it, i'm pretty sure he cried, i think even Wenger has come out and said he's cleaned his game up. I don't think he is a 'dirty bastard' at all, committed and reckless maybe but by no means intentionally dirty in my mind.

More worried about Huth standing on top of Reina at corners today if i'm honest than many reckless challenges flying in.
I do have a feeling we might get a bit more rub of the green regarding refs today though, i mean it's about time a decision or two went our way.
Spend a game watching him, not the ball. If he isn't holding someone or throwing in a tackle, he is elbowing someone. I agree that he has cleaned up his tackles, but he is a remarkably dirty player - particularly for someone whose poor judgement could have ended Ramsey's career. In other sports, he would be a target for his fellow professionals, someone for whom a career-ending injury would not be seen as a particularly bad thing.

gb1986

Spend a game watching him, not the ball. If he isn't holding someone or throwing in a tackle, he is elbowing someone. I agree that he has cleaned up his tackles, but he is a remarkably dirty player - particularly for someone whose poor judgement could have ended Ramsey's career. In other sports, he would be a target for his fellow professionals, someone for whom a career-ending injury would not be seen as a particularly bad thing.
What you're describing is most of the centre halves in this league though mate. And if we're talking Stokes dirtiest then surely Huth is the guy to be worried about rather than Shawcross?

Arminius

FSG PR plant
What you're describing is most of the centre halves in this league though mate. And if we're talking Stokes dirtiest then surely Huth is the guy to be worried about rather than Shawcross?
It is his elbows that I find particularly objectionable - Huth is pretty dirty too, but I find he holds more than anything else. I have less of a problem with that, though it is of course illegal, because it is not as likely to result in an injury, and it is as you say, something most centre halves do.

darren kelly

"Luisito Estamos Con Vos"
Brendan should complain before the match about dirty tactics and elbows from Stoke and Sky will watch out for it then make a witch hunt about it.
Fergie always plays these games we should start to also.
I was watching Carroll play last night and he looked dangerous.I still think we need him...Every corner Arsenal had was cleared by Carroll.We could do with him today

gb1986

It is his elbows that I find particularly objectionable - Huth is pretty dirty too, but I find he holds more than anything else. I have less of a problem with that, though it is of course illegal, because it is not as likely to result in an injury, and it is as you say, something most centre halves do.
From my experience i've noticed Huth with the elbows more than Shawcross, i can't say i've watched loads of Stoke games though so i'll keep an eye on it with Ryan.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
From my experience i've noticed Huth with the elbows more than Shawcross, i can't say i've watched loads of Stoke games though so i'll keep an eye on it with Ryan.
Maybe you should have done that before defending Shawcross. Don't deserve to be defended at all in my book. What more when he is a former manc.

gb1986

Maybe you should have done that before defending Shawcross. Don't deserve to be defended at all in my book. What more when he is a former manc.
At what point do i stop watching him and have an opinion Eddie? I can only comment on what i've seen, as can you. If i watched 3 more games and still didn't see an elbow would i be able to defend him yet in your book? Something tells me no.
Had a suspicion the manc thing was the issue here really.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
I watched a fair bit of them when Delap was a regular - the Arsenal games were particularly entertaining in a car-crash sort of way - but otherwise not much, certainly not an authority on Stoke. So I won't say definitively that one is worse than the other, but in general Stoke seem to commit a lot of those low-level fouls off the ball that seldom get called.

gb1986

I watched a fair bit of them when Delap was a regular - the Arsenal games were particularly entertaining in a car-crash sort of way - but otherwise not much, certainly not an authority on Stoke. So I won't say definitively that one is worse than the other, but in general Stoke seem to commit a lot of those low-level fouls off the ball that seldom get called.
Oh definitely, i do agree. From what i've seen though, i wouldn't have described Shawcross as a 'Dirty Bastard', especially in relation to some of their other players, but i'll keep my eye on him throughout the game today.

Tetteh_Dalglish

Paul the Octopus
If we keep the ball effectively and win the midfield, hopefully we'll be able to create the space needed for Sterling and Suarez to do some damage. Let's just hope everyone has their scoring boots on.

My fear is that they'll hack at Suarez and more fouls will go uncalled because of his reputation. He needs to stop diving - his diving is costing us too many crucial decisions!

But on a related note, I was watching City vs Sunderland, and the number of times Mario & Silva got fouled and the ref ignored their claims was appalling. I'm starting to wonder whether Aguero was onto something regarding foreign players having a tougher time getting calls from referees. Perhaps there's a subconscious awareness in referees that the foreign players dive more? I doubt it's a conscious bias, but it seems the reluctance to get conned by these crafty, theatrical players is starting to work against some of them - including our boy Suarez.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
Any team news yet?

LFCLV

TIA Youth Team
Rumors are that starting 11 has not changed. The same as vs Norwich

Tokyo_Red

TIA New Signing
Stuck in traffic 80k of tradfic between mt. Fuji and Tokyo so will miss the game tonight. Relying on you guys to fill me in!

mre0835

I'm just wondering why enrique has become the forgotten man after his great sfirst half to last season. I know he was struggling with injuries this season, but it seems he has fallen out of favour with the manager more than anything else. When going through the threads I saw all (or most) have Johnson at left back, where I think he was one of the people most at fault for many of the goals we conceided. Would like to see him back at right back and enrique at left back like last season, the season in whihc we played well but IMO were TERRIBLY unlucky...Any opinions on this matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.