• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Pre match: Liverpool Vs Swansea Sunday 23rd February, 13.30

Status
Not open for further replies.

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
Yes, i know this is early but God knows we could do with something to take our minds off the Arsenal game. If we really want 4th place or even better we need to start winning most of our games from here on out. The hard games for the surrounding pack are Chelsea V Everton and a possible couple of dropped points from Spurs away to Norwich, the rest you'd expect to win. A good chance to catch on either Chelsea (could be 1 point behind the current leaders) or to pull away from Everton.

I'd stick with the usual team who should be better after a full weeks rest. Usual team for me is

--------------------Migs-------------------------
Flanno-------Skrtel--Agger-------Cissokho
--------------------Stevie-----------------------
--------------Hendo-----Cou------------------
Sterling------------DS----------------Suarez

That with all top 3 interchanging and hopefully with Hendo back in the centre a bit more pressing in the middle. Of course with players back that could change, Glen is supposedly the nearest and if he's fit then he goes RB with Flanno LB. We need to start off fast in this one, Swansea have shown they can be got at if you don't allow them time.

cw37

This game is not on tv is it ?. The day and time is because of Swansea being involved in the Europa on Thursday ?. I think we will paste them. Their form has been awful. That is why they got rid of a very good manager. Too quick if you ask me. The Brendan link will have nothing to do with the outcome either. I go for 3-0 to the Reds. If not more.

TheFalse9

cw37 said:
This game is not on tv is it ?. The day and time is because of Swansea being involved in the Europa on Thursday ?. I think we will paste them. Their form has been awful. That is why they got rid of a very good manager. Too quick if you ask me. The Brendan link will have nothing to do with the outcome either. I go for 3-0 to the Reds. If not more.
They did thrash Cardiff in the South Wales Derby a few weeks back, which is a massive contrast to their 1-0 loss earlier in the season. Also, they have Garry Monk as manager, someone who is very respected at the club, and someone who the players will want to do for - not to mention that they're fighting relegation, so will be very hungry for the win.

Redragbull

Hopefully with a weeks rest the players will be re-charged energy wise for this game. The high intensity press was not as evident in the last two games, which wasn't surprising, having played three games in a week. High octane from the off and hit them hard early on. Selectively press their possession game and kill them on the counter. Been to 8 games at Anfield this season and seen 30 goals at an average of 3.75 goals per game. Hopefully that trend continues for my next visit on Sunday.

SirBillShankly

We live in a fallen world.
I would go with the same side as Basil, I really don't envisage any other result than a cricket score,i think we will hammer then 6 or 7 nil. i really do. Genius is well overdue a hat-trick , think SAS will stick 5 in between them.

Don't wanna jinx things or for my predicted hammering of vastly inferior opposition back-firing like the Villa home game so i'm predicting a 1-1 draw or the Swans to sneak a 2-1 win.

Johnny T.

Still Grumpy....
Same team as Basil, mostly picks itself lately. Suarez has till Summer to score enough to get us to a position where he won't want to leave. I think he wants to play CL for Liverpool, and he will bust a guy to achieve that.

Reactions: ptt

LiVeRp0oL89

lightdrizzle said:
Be interesting to see what side they put out against Napoli on Thursday
Well apparently Monk was criticised for resting players in the Everton match so presumably he's saving them for Napoli. He surely wouldn't rest his big guns for two matches straight in preparation for us.. I mean.. we're not THAT scary.. are we? ;)

TheFalse9

SirBillShankly said:
I would go with the same side as Basil, I really don't envisage any other result than a cricket score,i think we will hammer then 6 or 7 nil. i really do. Genius is well overdue a hat-trick , think SAS will stick 5 in between them.

Don't wanna jinx things or for my predicted hammering of vastly inferior opposition back-firing like the Villa home game so i'm predicting a 1-1 draw or the Swans to sneak a 2-1 win.
I highly doubt we'll win six or seven nil to be honest, Swansea are on a good run of form and are a quality team anyway. We've seemed to slip up against a lot of smaller teams, such as Southampton, West Brom and Hull, so I wouldn't be complacent, since we don't have any divine right to thrash them.

SirBillShankly

We live in a fallen world.
TheFalse9 said:
I highly doubt we'll win six or seven nil to be honest, Swansea are on a good run of form and are a quality team anyway. We've seemed to slip up against a lot of smaller teams, such as Southampton, West Brom and Hull, so I wouldn't be complacent, since we don't have any divine right to thrash them.
Not being complacent mate, i'm predicting a 1-1 or 2-1 defeat, remember the last bit of my post ;)

Zoran

Mignolet​
Flanagan Skrtel Agger Cissokho​
Coutinho Gerrard Henderson​
Sterling Sturridge Suarez​
Subs: Jones, Toure, Johnson, Allen, Teixeira, Ibe, Aspas.​

4-0.

anglian_red

My Team

22 Mignolet

38 Flanagan 37 Skrtel 5 Agger 20 Cissokho

10 Coutinho 8 Gerrard 14 Henderson

31 Sterling 7 Suarez 15 Sturridge

Subs; Jones, Toure, Johnson, Allen, Teixera, Alberto, Aspas

redstewie

is anyone going from derby area to this game??? im going but trains are a nightmare!!! earliest one gets to limey at 13.10......... :( if anyone is and got a spare seat in the car ill sort diesel money out!!!! PLEASE......... :D

lightdrizzle

TIA Reserve Team
LiVeRp0oL89 said:
Well apparently Monk was criticised for resting players in the Everton match so presumably he's saving them for Napoli. He surely wouldn't rest his big guns for two matches straight in preparation for us.. I mean.. we're not THAT scary.. are we? ;)
I thought he would have played his strongest team against Everton in the cup, and then rested the team against Napoli, like you would be strange to rest them on Thursday aswell.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
lightdrizzle said:
I thought he would have played his strongest team against Everton in the cup, and then rested the team against Napoli, like you would be strange to rest them on Thursday aswell.
Definitely not his strongest 11 to start - he made 8 changes from their Stoke game. Williams had to come on for Bartley fairly early due to injury. Bony and Britton did not play, Shelvey did not dress for either the Everton game or the Cardiff game, not sure why. His selection versus Napoli will be interesting.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
Two words: utter battering.
6/7-0

Libero

spizfromoz said:
Much as I've loved some of those big wins, I seem to get a deeper satisfaction from the 1-0 games.
Really? Even when you consider how well we have been playing? I know what you are trying to say but some of the hammerings we have dished out this year has made me wanting more. I don't want to watch another Fulham type game.

spizfromoz

But they show spirit, that's all I'm saying so they are a good indicator to me of where we're heading. I have hit the roof in the arsenal spurs and Everton games.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Johnny T. said:
Same team as Basil, mostly picks itself lately. Suarez has till Summer to score enough to get us to a position where he won't want to leave. I think he wants to play CL for Liverpool, and he will bust a guy to achieve that.
We'll I hope he restrains himself a bit then. Any guy busting and he'll be banned for a whole season!

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
I should add that I completely support ptt's wild optimism. Think we'll give them a right tonking, especially if we get off to a flyer again. Despite losing to Arsenal in the cup, I'm sure the players' confidence will be sky high and I hope that by now they've had the "don't be complacent" message so often that they wake up in the middle of the night screaming those very words!

Six-nil, possibly more.

(This'll come back to bite me, I know it will.)

KraznyIvan

Hendo has to come back in, Id also start Johnson for some fitness if he's ready or at least ensure he comes off the bench.

Sterling and Sturridge should have a barrel full of chances with our countering game. Coutinho and Gerrard to have blinders.

Can see Swansea getting at least one though so i hope we go 2 or 3 in front. My heart cant take another fightback!

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
This is typically a game which we could draw or lose. After last week-end's disappointment, there is huge pressure on this team to get a good result, and we know how the players usually react to pressure...

I for one expect a difficult game. They'll make us suffer by pressing us high on the pitch, a bit like S'hampton earlier in the season, and will try to keep possession of the ball, so it will be interesting to see if BR goes with the intensive counter-attack stuff we have played lately, even on home soil. Probably the best way to go, in the hope that they don't keep their defensive line too deep, and make the same errors than Everton and Arsenal when we met them at home. If they play like Fulham lately (which I expect) and by any chance score the first goal, we could be in for a hard time.

Hopefully Rafa and his lads will give them a right thumping on Thursday and knacker their confidence and fitness. That would certainly help us big time. If we can get one or two early goals as well, it will certainly help us on our way.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Hope in your heart said:
This is typically a game which we could draw or lose. After last week-end's disappointment, there is huge pressure on this team to get a good result, and we know how the players usually react to pressure...
Completely disagree, every time we've had a poor result this season we've bounced back with absolutely no issues...

Southampton home loss - we went out and beat Sunderland 1-3 away
Newcastle away draw - we thumped WBA 4-1
Arsenal away loss - we beat Fulham 4-0
Hull away loss - smash norwich

If anything I'd say we are far more dangerous after a loss - particularly at home. We won't need anyone to 'help us out' or, should I say, we shouldn't need any favours to beat them. We're far superior.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
I'm with mr facial hair, we'll bounce back and absolutely batter them.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
The league is the last competition left to do well for us, so there is definitely an element of pressure, which will of course enhance over the course of the next weeks.

Obviously, I hope that you lads are right. But we have seen too many false dawns in the past to be able to expect a battering here. A bore 1-0 will be fully ok for me as long as we can get three points.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Doubt we will score more than 6-0 against anyone, we seem to let it lie when we get to 5.

Think this will be a lot closer will depend on the Napoli game, if that is Monk's aim and a good result with a full strength side will help us, I am watching them in the flesh on Thursday so I will report back.

Status
Not open for further replies.