• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

PRE Match: Liverpool vs Udinese (Europa League: Thu, 04.10.12; 20:05 GMT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
Can't believe there are some that want to play the first teamers in order to ensure victory in this competition with one of the most physchal teams in the EPL coming up. This will be a great learning experience for the youth. Don't see why we can't get atleast a draw playing at home with them if not 3 points.

gb1986

I don't think we should field our first team, but i do think we need a bit more experience in there than we saw at West Brom, as good as we were.

Some dangerous players at Udinese, especially Di Natale... i'd prefer to go with Coates and Agger at the back, Skrtel has been error prone and the thought of Carragher going up against Di Natale fills me with dread. But then you run the risk with Agger too!

Jones​
Wisdom - Coates - Agger - Robinson​
Sahin​
Henderson - Shelvey​
Pacheco - Borini - Assaidi​

I'd be happy with whoever in midfield/attack though to be honest, i think everyone has done well enough recently to earn themselves a place.

Really looking forward to this either way, hope our performances keep up the way they have been... apart from the defensive blunders obviously.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
Can't believe there are some that want to play the first teamers in order to ensure victory in this competition with one of the most physchal teams in the EPL coming up. This will be a great learning experience for the youth. Don't see why we can't get atleast a draw playing at home with them if not 3 points.
Udinese are a pretty good team you know. Besided which team is the best start eleven anyway, hard to say really. I think we see a mix, of youth along with experienced players, which seen to work out great.

I think this is what Rafa tried to do in his early days, constant rotation with no real "first team" sort of speak, just too bad he didn't had succes with it.
With the youth we have now Brendan can make it work, but it's still early days to call on that. Playing the same team week in week out that doesn't work out, just to force it to work was kenny's downfall, so I'm happy with Rodgers mixing it up to find what work out best.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
Udinese are a pretty good team you know. Besided which team is the best start eleven anyway, hard to say really. I think we see a mix, of youth along with experienced players, which seen to work out great.

I think this is what Rafa tried to do in his early days, constant rotation with no real "first team" sort of speak, just too bad he didn't had succes with it.
With the youth we have now Brendan can make it work, but it's still early days to call on that. Playing the same team week in week out that doesn't work out, just to force it to work was kenny's downfall, so I'm happy with Rodgers mixing it up to find what work out best.
Udinese at home in the Europa is not more difficult than WBA away in the league cup. Atleast if we lose we're not totally out. Keep the same team just replace Sahin with Shelvey.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
Udinese at home in the Europa is not more difficult than WBA away in the league cup. Atleast if we lose we're not totally out. Keep the same team just replace Sahin with Shelvey.
Shelvey is a must, no doubt. You right we should win home against them, away will be more difficult, I also fear the Anzhi games.
But I must admit I believe in this squad, it's way more talented than I would have thouht.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
The way I see it is that with euro games in general, home or away, we're no longer looking to hit teams on the break whilst surrendering most of the possession on the one hand (a good thing), or go at the opposition like the we're at The Charge Of The Light Brigade (usually at home) on the other, thus leaving holes at the back to be hit on the break in turn (also a good thing).

Having a consistent system which is used both home and away ensures that we control a game as much as possible and whilst this possession-based approach is somewhat predictable from the opposition's pov, it means that we frustrate teams and generally won't be given the run around in games, particularly by continental sides, as has happened to us too many times in our past european adventures. Nice.

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
Of course we should play to win every game. Therefore, Downing's out!

Udinese aren't a bunch of nobodies from some football backwater like Young Boys (what an awful name for a club!). We have to take them seriously and at least start the game with some of our senior players. IMO, Johnson Gerrard and Suarez should start and one or more of them could be subbed off after an hour or so if things are going our way.

My line-up:

Reina

Johnson Carra Coates Robinson​

Henderson​

Gerrard Sahin​

Assaidi Borini Suarez​

If I were BR I'd start with Assaidi and maybe bring on Sterling if necessary, and then do the opposite against Stoke. Reina plays as he needs the confidence of a clean sheet and hopefully this'll be one.

Are we trying to win the Europa League? I'd rather not take any chances considering our lack of depth so Gerrard should not be starting any midweek games unless they are EPL ones. Shelvey should definitely start as he's suspended for the League. Johnson and Agger I certainly would not risk as they are are best fullback and CB we have. I might be willing to start Suarez as he doesn't miss games to injury very often so he should play an hour.
Remember Stoke City are going to be very tough to play against so we need to be prepared to battle them and the best way is to have rested players. 3 points in the league mean more to me than 3 points in our Europa League group match.

...........................................................Reina...........................................................

Wisdom........................Carragher.........................Coates..........................Enrique

....................................Henderson........................Sahin........................................

.........Suso.........................................Shelvey.................................Assaidi............

..........................................................Suarez..........................................................

Borini can come on for Luis after an hour.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Been hearing Joe Cole could be available for this. Any value to starting him? Or on the bench?
He looked quite sharp today with the reserves (scoring a very good goal), so I don't think it's out of the question that we will see him on the bench for this one.

OhYaBeauty

Definitely leave Sterling at home for a rest. Worried about how much the little guy has been playing.
Its a home game, mate.

Personally, I'd play Sterling and rest Assaidi for Stoke. Stoke are a physical team that I don't think Raheem should play against yet; we need to protect him from injuries. Furthermore, I'd scale back his involvement in Premier League games. He's 17 and has plenty of time to grow, so we should play him in the 'easier' of the two competitions so he can grow at his own rate.

1dragon

TIA Regular
Judging from who Rodgers subbed against Norwich, Sterling is highly likely to be involved in this game, as is Suso. Johnson might be too, but maybe Carragher was on more for match fitness.

Doggie

Resident Optimist
Could be one of Downing's last opportunities to impress...

steve10

TIA New Signing
This will be a difficult game even though it is at home. It will be a second XI with the likes of Downing, Hendo, Enrique and Joe Cole probably getting an opportunity.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
Could be one of Downing's last opportunities to impress...
I wouldn't get my hopes up as he's blown all the others. I reckon BR has already made up his mind about him tbh; it's just a question of how to offload him.

OhYaBeauty

Well the way things are going I must say that I don't care what team Brendan puts out. As long as he keeps incorporating youth and we play good football doing it, I'm excited to watch our matches.

Anyway, this is what I think we'll line up as:

Reina​
Wisdom Carragher Coates Robinson​
Henderson Allen​
Shelvey​
Pacheco Borini Sterling​

RedBaron

Curse you RedBaron!!!!
Always amazes me that a lot of fans consider the EL a waste of space.
We have a decent chance of progressing, getting past the later rounds and winning a trophy. Winning trophies shows intent and demonstrates to the best players that LFC are still a team you want to be part of.
Constantly talking about improvement and CL football in 3/4 years will not impress the players we need to sign.
Ask Sahin why he wants to return to RM?, he wants to win trophies.

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
Always amazes me that a lot of fans consider the EL a waste of space.
We have a decent chance of progressing, getting past the later rounds and winning a trophy. Winning trophies shows intent and demonstrates to the best players that LFC are still a team you want to be part of.
Constantly talking about improvement and CL football in 3/4 years will not impress the players we need to sign.
Ask Sahin why he wants to return to RM?, he wants to win trophies.
It'd be nice if the winner of the EL got into the 3 playoff round for champions league qualification, but I largely agree with the sentiment. Even if we focus entirely on the league, what's the highest we're going to finish? Also, if we field a reserve team, Udinese could easily do to us what we did to Norwich.

Ataturk

★★★★★
The Young Boys win set us up nicely to get through this group. I doubt Udinese and Anzhi will be able to do the same.

With that in mind I think we should continue resting the big guns (Suarez, Gerrard, Agger, Johnson), I would back us to at least draw, even with a weakened team. With the paper thin squad we have we need to be sensible, and besides, it's not as though the kids don't look up to it. They've been fantastic.

Maybe leave Suarez and Gerrard on the bench as a just in case, but otherwise, same again please.

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
Well, any competition we play in we should try and win but i don't think it's needed to play our top team. Apart from players like Stevie that need a rest i wouldn't want others like Sterling getting burned out so early in the season. If we were going to risk our youngsters anywhere then it should be in this competition. In the FA and League cup you lose and you're out, in this we can absorb a loss and then play our main players if needed. I would still load the bench with our better players though, it's not as if we have them travelling half way around the world, it's an home game.

------------------------------Reina--------------------------
Wisdom----------Carra---------Coates--------Enrique
------------------------------Hendo-------------------------
-----------------Shelvey-------------Suso------------------
Borini--------------------Yesil-------------------Assaidi

Bench: Jones, Stevie, Suarez, Sahin, Johnson, Pacheco

Johnson is a must, he can cover most of the back line even if the CB gets injured, we just move Wisdom into centre and GJ to RB. I'd bring Pacheco on for Suso, Borini or Assaidi if we're winning, Borini back from injury and Suso, Assaidi could be impact subs for us against Stoke. The main 3 are there in case we go behind.

@Never say never, the bit about what's the highest we can finish, i hope we don't approach the league like that. We should approach it that we can finish top 4 and need to try like hell every game. If the players are thinking whats the highest we can finish then we'll end up in the bottom half.

TheKaiser

Banned Users
Even if we focus entirely on the league, what's the highest we're going to finish?
I just don't understand this mentality. We're six games in, we could finish anywhere at this point. We've had a rough start but if we put together a run of results we could be very close to top 4 within a month. We have it all to play for in the league - no reason to concede already in order to give us a better chance of finishing first in our Europa League group. Besides, I don't think there's much to choose from right now in terms of performance of the two teams we've been putting out. The B team has been getting results all season and Udinese at home is not a massive step up from West Brom away.

Never Say Never

FSG are the iluminati
I just don't understand this mentality. We're six games in, we could finish anywhere at this point. We've had a rough start but if we put together a run of results we could be very close to top 4 within a month. We have it all to play for in the league - no reason to concede already in order to give us a better chance of finishing first in our Europa League group. Besides, I don't think there's much to choose from right now in terms of performance of the two teams we've been putting out. The B team has been getting results all season and Udinese at home is not a massive step up from West Brom away.
Because our squad is way too thin. Suarez scored a hat trick, which is wonderful, but he's still terribly inconsistent in front of goal (he very easily could have had five, as he missed two complete sitters). The league is a marathon not a sprint, and we need more depth, consistency and goals to achieve top 4. We're very much a work in progress. You honestly think our squad is capable of displacing any of Arsenal, City, United, or Chelsea?

TheKaiser

Banned Users
Because our squad is way too thin. Suarez scored a hat trick, which is wonderful, but he's still terribly inconsistent in front of goal (he very easily could have had five, as he missed two complete sitters). The league is a marathon not a sprint, and we need more depth, consistency and goals to achieve top 4. We're very much a work in progress. You honestly think our squad is capable of displacing any of Arsenal, City, United, or Chelsea?
It's exactly because our squad is too thin (in a strict sense of not having anywhere near 22 first team regulars) that we should be prioritizing the league over cups, not giving up on the league in favor of cups. I said we could be pushing near top 4 with a month of good results, not displacing anyone in the top 4. Over the course of the season, who knows, but the point illustrated is that it's far too early to adopt the stance that we're well fucked in the league and might as well sacrifice our first XI in cup games because they're hopeless against premier league opposition. We've built up a deep enough squad over the last 2 months that we have a second team to compete in Europe. Maybe they won't get out of the group, maybe they will. But our squad will be a lot stronger for giving them the opportunity to try. Relying on the same 14 players to do everything last season was part of the reason we struggled so much in the second half of the season. No reason to repeat that - we can definitely challenge for a top 6 place if not better in the league.

red_scott

TIA Youth Team
I am really looking forward to this game. I think we are all looking at fielding the B team, but I'm sure there will be one or 2 changes.

What I am most looking forward is how we match up to Udinese. Yes we beat Young Boys, and then the WBA cup game, but I think Udinese will be a higher level.

This will be a good guide as to what level the youngsters are at. Udinese should be a tight defensive Italian team and that alone will be a good test to see how our attacking is coming along. Plus they can attack, so should be our strongest opponent to date in this competition.

If we come away with 3 points, then it makes our future participation that little bit easier.

Digary

...................Reina
Wisdom Carra Coates Robinson
............Shelvey....Henderson
...................Suso
Downing......Borini..........Assaidi

Stoke is going to be a tough game, we need the first teamers fresh as three points is a must. I would have Allen and Sahin play 45 minutes each so neither is too fatigued come Sunday. I would also keep a few of the big guns on the bench and bring them on with 30 minutes to go if we are struggling. Suarez, Sterling etc.

Edit - Completely forgot about Shelvey. So scrap the Allen/Sahin thing and just have Jonjo in my lineup

jimmydestiny

In between the lines
[quote name='Gervinho's Forehead' timestamp='1349058245' post='7941']
------------Jones-------------
Wisdom--Coates--Carra--Enrique
--------Hrnderson-------------
-----------------Suso---------
---------Shelvey--------------
Borini------Yesil------Assaidi

Im hoping for this.
[/quote]
Same line up with Drowning in for Borini

Matt

Poor Scouser Tommy
Admin
Jones​
Flanagan Coates Carragher Enrique​
Henderson Shelvey​
Suso​
Downing Borini Assaidi​

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Are we trying to win the Europa League? I'd rather not take any chances considering our lack of depth so Gerrard should not be starting any midweek games unless they are EPL ones. Shelvey should definitely start as he's suspended for the League. Johnson and Agger I certainly would not risk as they are are best fullback and CB we have. I might be willing to start Suarez as he doesn't miss games to injury very often so he should play an hour.
Remember Stoke City are going to be very tough to play against so we need to be prepared to battle them and the best way is to have rested players. 3 points in the league mean more to me than 3 points in our Europa League group match.

...........................................................Reina...........................................................

Wisdom........................Carragher.........................Coates..........................Enrique

....................................Henderson........................Sahin........................................

.........Suso.........................................Shelvey.................................Assaidi............

..........................................................Suarez..........................................................

Borini can come on for Luis after an hour.
OK, I take your point. Maybe Gerrard can't play two, or even one and a half, games a week now. But the rest of the squad, except Carra, should be able to.

cardiffpete

TIA Reserve Team
I'd take a wild guess :) at ...
Jones
??? Coates Carra Robinson
Hendo Shelvey
???
Downing (?) Borini Assaidi (?)​

I certainly wouldn't be at all surprised though to see the likes of Suarez, Gerrard, Sahin, Allen, Sterling and co on the bench for this one, as I thought that BR had previously stated that he wanted to target winning all of our EL Home games, while experimenting much more in the fixtures away from home.

After Stoke on Sunday, there's yet another International break. I'd prefer us to already be in Pole position in this EL group after this week's fixtures, with the very real potential to rest players later on, rather than still to be fighting it out on matchdays 5 and 6.

Udinese do not generally prioritise EL games either (same as us, as their bread and butter is Serie A and their perennial hope is of automatically qualifying for CL), and (amazingly) they probably have an even smaller squad than ours, so they will undoubtably also feature a mixed bag of youth and experience in the tie. I'd like to think that a good mix of our own youth and some experienced players, allied with some heavy hitters on the bench would be the way to go. Would it really hurt us all that much for the Stoke match if (say) the likes of Suarez needed to be called on for the last 30 minutes against Udinese, if needs be? No travel involved etc.

Against Gomel and Hearts at Home, we already called upon the senior Pro's.This time around, I'd expect a few starting XI players to be on bench duty, available if required but hopefully not needed.

zooz

TIA Youth Team
Am I the only one who's baffled to see Wisdom being selected in almost all the line-ups in this thread? The boy played 90 minutes last game and he's probably the first choice as a RB against Stoke so that would 3 games in 8 days?! Same applies for Johnson.

Would that work?

Downing---Coates---Carra---Enrique

Also when are we going to play Wilson as a CB? Thought the lad is more than decent but seems the recent managers have no faith in his abilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.