• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

PRE Match: Liverpool vs Udinese (Europa League: Thu, 04.10.12; 20:05 GMT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

football.tiger

TIA Squad Member
Jones​
Wisdom Carra Coates Robinson​
Henderson Suso​
Shelvey​
Sterling Borini Pacheco​

I'd go with something like that...

SF Red

TIA Regular
Am I the only one who's baffled to see Wisdom being selected in almost all the line-ups in this thread? The boy played 90 minutes last game and he's probably the first choice as a RB against Stoke so that would 3 games in 8 days?! Same applies for Johnson.

Would that work?

Downing---Coates---Carra---Enrique

Also when are we going to play Wilson as a CB? Thought the lad is more than decent but seems the recent managers have no faith in his abilities.
Downing as a RB? Or Enrique as a RB? Not sure about that.

I figure there is clearly a major decision to be made - we either play the youth players/second team or we play the first team players.

If Robinson is fit, I could easily see Johnson and Robinson as first team FBs and Wisdom and Enrique as second team FBs. McLaughlin (who is back from injury and played in the U21 match) and Flanagan (is he still injured?) could also fight with Wisdom for the RB spot, but I think that it is really up to McLaughlin and Wisdom - I am a bit surprised about Wisdom to be honest. McLaughlin is a much better attacker, but Wisdom has been very steady with few mistakes.

I would go with

Reina (but I think he will pick Jones)

McLaughlin - Carra - Coates - Enrique (if fit)
Henderson - Shelvey
Suso
Downing - Borini - Pacheco

with a strong bench

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
Is Borini fit, thought he had a dodgy ankle?

AnfieldCat

TIA Squad Member
Is Borini fit, thought he had a dodgy ankle?
Well he made the bench for Norwich so I would think hes at least ready for the bench again, I really want him to start because the sooner he gets a goal the better! I hate when our players get called flops!

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
Am I the only one who's baffled to see Wisdom being selected in almost all the line-ups in this thread? The boy played 90 minutes last game and he's probably the first choice as a RB against Stoke so that would 3 games in 8 days?! Same applies for Johnson.

Would that work?

Downing---Coates---Carra---Enrique

Also when are we going to play Wilson as a CB? Thought the lad is more than decent but seems the recent managers have no faith in his abilities.
If Wilson is good enough BR will play him; he's already shown that he's not afraid to blood his young players if they impress him in the reserves and training. It's entirely possible that Wilson hasn't developed as much as had been hoped; this does happen - not every youngster fulfills his early promise.

Regarding the FB situation: I think that Enrique's loss of form has been such that he may even be third choice LB now behind Jonno and (God help us all) Downing; Flannigan's injuries are holding his young career back somewhat back. I agree that Wisdom can't be played every game and while Jonno is playing at LB and Carra hasn't got the legs to be playing fullback in this system. It's a quandry.

zooz

TIA Youth Team
Downing as a RB? Or Enrique as a RB? Not sure about that.
If he's capable of playing as a LB why not to play him as a RB? I mean we play him on both right & left wings as an attacking winger so why not do the same at the back? (honest question)

SF Red

TIA Regular
If he's capable of playing as a LB why not to play him as a RB? I mean we play him on both right & left wings as an attacking winger so why not do the same at the back? (honest question)
FBs have to be able to use their outside foot or they will be liabilities to wide attacks. (of course ideally they would all be two footed). Glen Johnson can use both feet pretty well (although he is right foot dominant). Downing and, especially, Enrique are very one footed and would be liabilities on the right IMO.

Wide forwards can be used on either side - it is completely different. Left footed players playing on the right are usually (not always of course) inverted forwards who will come in to the middle with the FBs or AMs overlapping on the outside. Left footed players on the left will usually stay wide.

RMP

TIA First Team
Reina​
Flanagan Carra Skrtel Enrique​
Henderson Gerrard Shelvey​
Suso Suarez Downing​

Druss

TIA Reserve Team
just got tickets for me and my old man.

wasnt sure if i was going to be able to make this one. so made up that things have worked in my favour :D

i know everyone looks at this comp as being a bit of a waste of time. but i really want to win it!!

i think a mixture of youth and experience can take us to the latter stages and then hopefully we can start taking it serious.

i want a trophy again at the end of this season and i think winning the europa cup sends a message of intent out to everyone. including players we are looking to attract.

my team: similar to every one elses

Jones
Wisdom Coates Carragher Enrique
Henderson Shelvey
Suso
Downing Borini Assaidi

Does anyone know whats happened to Doni???

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
Some have quoted "personal reasons" for Doni's AWOL-ness.

That could range from something with his family in Brazil to him being kidnapped on holiday though. I reckon it would be leaning towards the former.

Quite strange though that a senior player just goes missing without a word from the club though.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
Joe Cole played 60 minutes yesterday for the U21's. Would be tempted to put him in the team ahead of Downing, even if he's a bit short of fitness. So, depending on the fitness of the likes of Flanagan and Enrique, I'd go with something like:

Jones​

Wisdom Coates Carra Robinson​

Hendo Shelvey​

Pacheco​

Assaidi Borini Cole​

Bench: Gulacsi, McLaughlin, Wilson, Coady, Suso, Sterling, Yesil​

The bench looks a bit mental, pretty much zero experience, but hey...'balls to the walls' seems to be the new mantra.

Druss

TIA Reserve Team
Some have quoted "personal reasons" for Doni's AWOL-ness.

That could range from something with his family in Brazil to him being kidnapped on holiday though. I reckon it would be leaning towards the former.

Quite strange though that a senior player just goes missing without a word from the club though.
agree very stange. cant understand why the club havent made any statement regarding the matter tho.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
could be suffering with some hellish disease or some other serious illness that he doesn't want public. He should be on SSP by now though, £50 a week

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
---------------Reina--------------------
Wisdom Carra Coates Robinson
---------Hendo---Shelvey-----------
--------------Pacheco-----------------
--Downing--Borini--Assaidi--------

That team would do me, and with these mid week games the interesting thing is sometime not who plays, but who doesn't. I'm hoping we don't see Suso, as that surely means he'll start at the weekend.

Wathik_LFC

TIA Youth Team
My team would be:

Reina - cause I think he needs more minutes he's been a bit shaky

Wisdom-- Coates---carra------Enrique

Suso---shelvey---joe

Jcole or downing----yesil-----sterling

Put suso, sterling and wisdom in because they are very young who will recover quickly and can play twice in a week, also European experience is vital..

Dhoff3

TIA Squad Member
Where is Cole's preferred position? Isn't he best in a central role? Or behind the striker? I'm not sure he, or Downing have a shot of working their way back into BR's plans anyway, but if Cole is going to be useful, as it appears he'll be stuck with us for some time on high wages, we should play him in his best position and at least give him a shot to produce something and gain confidence. That being said, I think Pacheco is probably deserving of another shot centrally. I think this:

Jones

Wisdom (or Flanagan if he's fit) Coates Wilson Enrique

Shelvey Hendo

Pacheco

Downing Yesil Assaidi

Borini if fit in for Yesil. Cole should come in for Pacheco with like 70 minutes gone. This could be a tough one, I wouldn't mind some senior players on the bench if needed. Even Suarez. Downing needs to put in a good performance, otherwise no reason to play him with the emergence of our youngsters. He really needs to be positive, after Rodger's words as of late, I can see him getting sold or even loaned in January.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
We might see a few more seniors in this game, as its at home and travel won't be an issue. But I'd still be intrigued to see how the youngsters cope with a step up in the class of the opposition.

And given that one good victory in the league doesn't make everything better, we still need to go on a run and start getting a winning habit. I'd prefer the seniors kept fit and strong for the upcoming games.

shlohmoh

TIA Reserve Team
If you have Carra screaming at Coates for ninety minutes, the lad will be looking for a career in synchronised swimming.

Spitfire

Resident Realist
Against Udinese:

Jones​
Wisdom Carra Coates Enrique​
Henderson​
Shelvey Pacheco​
Borini Yesil Assaidi​

Against Stoke:

Reina​
Johnson Agger Skrtel Robinson​
Allen​
Sahin Gerrard​
Suso Suarez Sterling​

While I'm not sure about Robinson against Stoke this does start to show that we are now building towards 2 in every position. Granted a number are very young but it does bode well for the future.....

MarkMcC

TIA Squad Member
If you have Carra screaming at Coates for ninety minutes, the lad will be looking for a career in synchronised swimming.
Nah have to shave his legs and as half Scottish half Uruguayan he'd be one hairy bastard

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
Wouild rather Joe Cole in this than Downing. And I dont particularly want him in the team either as it happens, but for all the frustration we have paying him 90k a week to be injured, when he does play he usually does try. its not much on its own but it still is more than Downing does for me. Scored last week in the reserves so wouldnt be suprised if he does play an hour

wonder if Pacheco will feature, played quite well against WBA though am not sure hes near the top of the prospect list at this point

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Im thinking Rodgers will stick to his pattern so far of using the kids (who lets face it haven't let us down) and fringe players but with a strong bench.

Think he will have most of the team to face Stoke set in his head with maybe one or two positions up for grabs if anybody plays well enough in this game.

Jones
McLaughlin, Carra, Coates, Robinson
Shelvey, Henderson, Pacheco
Cole, Borini, Downing

Subs; Reina, Agger, Johnson, Allen, Gerrard, Sterling, Suarez

Think he will rest Sterling against Stoke if an attacker plays well enough in this game to get a call up. Skrtel may lose his place if Coates plays great again. Wisdom may get rested against Stoke if one of the fullbacks plays a blinder tomorrow too.

RedSeven

On the one road
Ad-free Member
Im thinking Rodgers will stick to his pattern so far of using the kids (who lets face it haven't let us down) and fringe players but with a strong bench.

Think he will have most of the team to face Stoke set in his head with maybe one or two positions up for grabs if anybody plays well enough in this game.

Jones
McLaughlin, Carra, Coates, Robinson
Shelvey, Henderson, Pacheco
Cole, Borini, Downing

Subs; Reina, Agger, Johnson, Allen, Gerrard, Sterling, Suarez

Think he will rest Sterling against Stoke if an attacker plays well enough in this game to get a call up. Skrtel may lose his place if Coates plays great again. Wisdom may get rested against Stoke if one of the fullbacks plays a blinder tomorrow too.
I'd say you could be very close to the starting 11 there.Maybe Assaidi on the left of the middle 3.Pacheco left of front 3.Downing on the right instead of cole.

theres always tommorrow

If we win it this year I’m changing my name tag
Against Udinese:

Jones​
Wisdom Carra Coates Enrique​
Henderson​
Shelvey Pacheco​
Borini Yesil Assaidi​

Against Stoke:

Reina​
Johnson Agger Skrtel Robinson​
Allen​
Sahin Gerrard​
Suso Suarez Sterling​
I like this but I cant see Brendan going with the Europa league selection. His whole aim is to have a dominant attacking midfield. Any two of those selected would be fine but he would probably play someone thats a bit more savvy to control the attack....Sahin, Gerrard or Allen would be my guess?

Henderson is beginning to look more like Lucas when he first arrived - Helping out the back four but not an out and out play maker. Shelvey is an opportunist which is great but he will leave the back door open and Pacheco will want to get on the score sheet as well as part of the attack.

I would go with Henderson, Shelvey and Sahin. Pacheco or Allen on the bench as subs?

According to the bib theory this may well be the team against Udinese:

Jones, Johnson, Carra, Coates, Robinson, Allen, Shelvey, Hendo, Assaidi, Downing, Borini

OhYaBeauty

I'd say you could be very close to the starting 11 there.Maybe Assaidi on the left of the middle 3.Pacheco left of front 3.Downing on the right instead of cole.
Not a chance. Assaidi is a winger.

According to the bib theory this may well be the team against Udinese:

Jones, Johnson, Carra, Coates, Robinson, Allen, Shelvey, Hendo, Assaidi, Downing, Borini
I'm happy with that team. Hell, I'm happy with just about any team we put out nowadays...

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
BR just said that Suarez and Gerrard will be involved. I'd guess they will be on the bench tomorrow night.

Status
Not open for further replies.