• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Pre-Match | Liverpool vs Watford | PL Matchday 17 | Saturday December 14th | 12:30h | Anfield

[email protected]

How did the last goal go to VAR? Watford had a player on the line.
Post Match Thread is on the go but anyway. I can see why; as you know the law is two players in front of an attacker when the ball is played and the keeper on this occasion was not one of the two albeit by a slight margin. Looking at the VAR replay it was actually a pretty close call. Correct, but close.

jredp

Let's talk about 6 baby!
hate to say this, but I get the impression that in the Bundesliga, they don't seem to make too much of a problem with VAR and yet the EPL, they can't seem to work it out. I blame the refs, they are afraid to be looked at as donkeys when it comes to doing their job on the pitch

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
Post Match Thread is on the go but anyway. I can see why; as you know the law is two players in front of an attacker when the ball is played and the keeper on this occasion was not one of the two albeit by a slight margin. Looking at the VAR replay it was actually a pretty close call. Correct, but close.
I need to see it again. I thought the goalie was behind the third man. But it was a poor stream so I'm probably wrong!

Chewbazza

Ad-free Member
Regardless it wouldn't have affected the outcome of the match, like the majority of the var decisons that have 'gone our way'. Which is what makes the blue moon conspiracy all the more pointless.

CymruRed

Ad-free Member

According to Stephen Warnock on LFCtv's after match reaction show,he was saying that the Watford player on the line was behind the keeper,as if to say, only the players infront of the keeper are the ones that effect the offside rule,surely that can't be right,what if it's a corner and the keeper comes out and they have players stood on the posts/goal line defending and our player is unmarked with no defenders infront of him and he scores,the goal stands,its the same scenario.

[email protected]

According to Stephen Warnock on LFCtv's after match reaction show,he was saying that the Watford player on the line was behind the keeper,as if to say, only the players infront of the keeper are the ones that effect the offside rule,surely that can't be right,what if it's a corner and the keeper comes out and they have players stood on the posts/goal line defending and our player is unmarked with no defenders infront of him and he scores,the goal stands,its the same scenario.
The offside rule makes no mention and is not dependent on one of the two defending players in front of the attacker being the keeper.