• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Pre-Match: Manchester City Vs Liverpool, 26/12, 17:30 Hrs

Status
Not open for further replies.

nimitzz

TIA Reserve Team
Okies the big one for us.... they score a lot but they also leak goals!... looking at our current form i think we can go for a draw...
about the team... i see glen johnson as our weak point... purely on the fact that his performance in the last 2 matches was not good...
stop yaya toure and we should be able to stop them a bit...
lets give a fighting performance.... and not be their santa claus!

Claymenza

We may have to rotate toure in at centre back alongside sakho. I'm not a fan of skrtel's set piece defending. Grabbing the striker instead of leaping to clear the ball.

Keep the same forward line.

Verbal80

I'll reserve my line up for later in the week. But the new SaS have to start up top.

Superior Complex

I've watched City in pretty much all of their games this season, as i back them a lot in my bets. They're hot and cold, to be honest they're all firepower with little defence. They are actually extremely terrible in defence. The problem is they have the equaliser a staggering forward attack.

With Negredo and Dzeko they're a bit more limited, which is great for us as their little magician is injured, this will play a major role if we are to get anything.

Stability and form wise we are edging it, as they're still inconsistent. Fulham could of scored four or five in the first half, no exaggeration, also with Zabaleta missing that's a massive blow for them defensively and offensively.

Attack Kolarov and Glichy, Coutinho and Sterling if on form will have the beatings of these. We can't play through the middle, Yaya and Fernandinho are to dangerous.

Suarez needs to be on form also, if we can take our chances we will win. No doubt whatsoever.

I'd be more than happy to take a draw versus shitty though.

Colin

TIA First Team
Early in the thread but im surprised everyone has skated past the obvious core issues here.

The midfield.

Both teams have excellent goal scoring potential, but have certain defensive frailties which could be a making for alot of goals.

However, it will come down to who gets the most chances, who has more possession and control of the game. And this, naturally, will be decided upon in the midfield battle.

Huge test for Hendo, Allen et al. Lets hope they can step up. I have every faith in Hendo.

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
Sooo fucking good reading opposing forums with their fans talking about our possibility of winning the league, and how scared they are of us.

Colin

TIA First Team
DeathOrGlory said:
Sooo fucking good reading opposing forums with their fans talking about our possibility of winning the league, and how scared they are of us.
You know how knee-jerk footie fans are. A few loses and it'll be all forgotten about.

I love how BR doesnt get carried away with any of it.

Lucas

Last season, Yaya Toure, in his post-match interview, said it was the hardest game he had ever played. Allen simply ran rings around him that day, let's hope for a repeat performance. With Negredo and Dzeko there will be quite a lot of aerial defending to do, which I'm worried about. However, with Demichelis ' lack of pace, and Kompany just returning from a long layoff, hopefully Suarez, Sterling and Coutinho can capitalise on their poor defensive record. Having said this, I'd take a draw, and I'd certainly have taken 6/7 points from the four tricky xmas fixtures beforehand.

Onwards and upwards please (although hopefully we won't be able to go any higher next weekend, here's hoping for an Arsenal/Chelsea draw on monday!)

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
If City travels to our backyard I would somewhat say not going to be too tough to handle. But we are going to their turf and the skinned teams alive there. A free scoring team who is hitting form at the right time for both, but their midfield is controlling and chipping in goals. They only have one player they need to watch out for against us, our captain, Suarez. It won't be easy, but they have to worry about him alone, nobody else can break them apart in defence.

We on the other hand have to keep Yaya at bay, Fernandinho quiet, Silva and Nasri needs to have a bad game, also not forgetting Negredo and Navas.

We may be top of the league through current form, but quality wise we are still not able to match City. It is going to be the toughest test for us to date. If we turn up like we did against Arsenal we are in deep shit. If we take the game to them like we did against Spurs, we might salvage something. Either way should be a cracking match to watch, both very attacking minded team going at each other. There will be goals.

Bluboots

King of Sardinia
We should go into this game without fear and attack them because that is what we do best. We have less to fear from a loss than city, so the pressure is firmly on them.

OhYaBeauty

Colin said:
Early in the thread but im surprised everyone has skated past the obvious core issues here.

The midfield.

Both teams have excellent goal scoring potential, but have certain defensive frailties which could be a making for alot of goals.

However, it will come down to who gets the most chances, who has more possession and control of the game. And this, naturally, will be decided upon in the midfield battle.

Huge test for Hendo, Allen et al. Lets hope they can step up. I have every faith in Hendo.
I actually think we have a very good chance of dominating the midfield battle. The Lucas/Allen/Henderson axis is very fluid, very creative, and very resolute defensively. We can win the midfield battle because our one-touch passing has been so slick recently that the physicality of City's midfield will be rather irrelevant. We do still have to recognize that they're very good passers and also tactically astute defensively, but that makes it a fair battle. Defensively, I have faith that our pressing (which has been excellent) can contain Fernandinho and Yaya. Any time they get the ball facing their goal Hendo and Allen will be all over them like white on rice.

Remember, Paulinho, Dembele and Sandro are no slouches and we handled them easily.

Bobbinho

Really looking forward to this game, feel quite confident about us getting some kind of a result now that we didn't slip up, got some good winning momentum behind us, confidence levels should be high, City also in good scoring form, real test for both defence's....reckon we deffo need Toure back in to deal with his little bro...Sakho i am confident about, wouldn't mind seeing Glen make way for Kelly at RB, don't think BR will do that though.

We're in a very good position to deal with this fixture, City will be a little bit worried about this one, for us though there will be no shame in losing to this lot what with their home form being as it is, first goal will be very important for either side to gain an advantage, should be a cracking fixture, promises plenty of goals.....

But, i'd settle for a 0-0 scoreline. :)

Chewbazza

Ad-free Member
I had us down for 11 points in December before a ball was kicked.

We already have 12, so anything here would be a bonus. Recent history suggests we are quite evenly matched, with 2 wins 7 draws and 2 losses in our last 11 meetings. The last 3 have been 2-2 draws.

The last time we won 5 in a row incidentally was the arse end of the 08/09 season where we did it twice with a draw with Arsenal in the middle.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
OhYaBeauty said:
Remember, Paulinho, Dembele and Sandro are no slouches and we handled them easily.
The key difference between the two teams lies at their forward line. Spurs scored 7 in their 8 home games before playing us, while City now has 35 in 8 and yet to lose a game. That would be the key difference which gives a lot of people worries.

soberphobia

Interesting I read on a city forum post match last year that we were easily the best side that went to Etihad until then.

OhYaBeauty

lfc.eddie said:
The key difference between the two teams lies at their forward line. Spurs scored 7 in their 8 home games before playing us, while City now has 35 in 8 and yet to lose a game. That would be the key difference which gives a lot of people worries.
Oh absolutely. Theyre very different teams; I was just pointing out that our midfield (even without Stevie) can hang with the big boys.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
The good thing is we can go there without any sort of pressure. The way City have been wiping the floor with every opponent at home so far suggests nobody will expect us to get a result, and with four wins in a row we're sitting pretty with a healthy amount of points. High on confidence, low shoulders, no fear. Just play our game and see what happens. If we can repeat the Tottenham performance we have a good chance of getting a result. No matter how many good players they have - City without Aguero and Zabaleta is a lot less scary.

Will be a very tough game made even harder by the fact that we play Chelsea 2 days later. Picking up a point would be fantastic but I don't think we should go there with the mentality if trying to hold on for a draw. Although City have a formidable attack (even without Aguero) they do have some defensive issues which can be exploited. One thing is for sure- just like against Spurs- the entire team will need to step up and we will need to take any small chances that pop up to score a goal.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
With the kind of domination they have shown in their home form, we have nothing to lose by going there an playing our game. We have to play with confidence or else we will play into their hands.

Bleech

TIA Reserve Team
Pressure's off for this one, anything we get here is a bonus. Just play the same team again as the last 2 games (they've all earned it) and let's see what they can do in arguably the toughest away fixture in the Premier League. If we lose, no big deal BUT... there's always a chance when you have one of the top 3 players in the world playing for you. I look forward to enjoying it for the sheer spectacle and feeling totally relaxed, with us going into the game in a healthy position thanks to the good work that has been done in the lead up.

nimitzz

TIA Reserve Team
I still dont understand the fear... m really confident of a good show... very frankly it should be man city who should be worried... we got nothing to loose...

Bleech

TIA Reserve Team
nimitzz said:
I still dont understand the fear... m really confident of a good show... very frankly it should be man city who should be worried... we got nothing to loose...
Man City 6-3 Arsenal... I think that sums it up. If you need further examples, Man City 4-1 Man Utd, Man City 3-1 Everton, Man City 6-0 Spurs...

dxb_red

this is the toughest game of the season, but i honestly think we can get something here...at the end of the day, its man city...they arent invincible, particularly with the injuries they have at the minute, and they look dodgy at the back...its going to come down to who scores the most, and in that situation i'd put my money on Suarez every day of the week...we need to go there with confidence, get right up in their fucking faces and play our own game, and if we do that, we'll give them a run for their money...

RaoulDuke

Hardly-Known Member
ILLOK said:
5-3 Liverpool.
Quite confident of a win here
Only 5?
I'd take it though.
2 from suarez and one from henderson, sterling and couthino (or maybe flazza).

With the Chelsea game 2 days after this I'm wondering whether Rodgers might consider resting some players. Certainly Suarez would never be keen on the idea of a rest but other like Coutinho and Sterling could perhaps be given a bit of break in these games so as not to risk further injuries. Because as it stands that would probably be the worst outcome for us and it would also be good to see what the likes of Aspas and Alberto have in their drawers against strong opposition. Certainly one position where we have lot's of cover is CB so that may be an area where we might see some changes for this or the Chelsea game.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
I just want the Liverpool lads to perform, if they perform like they have then they will have nothing to be ashamed about, i fully expect a Man city win anything else is a bonus as far as I am concerned.

RaoulDuke

Hardly-Known Member
liverpool_singh said:
With the Chelsea game 2 days after this I'm wondering whether Rodgers might consider resting some players. Certainly Suarez would never be keen on the idea of a rest but other like Coutinho and Sterling could perhaps be given a bit of break in these games so as not to risk further injuries. Because as it stands that would probably be the worst outcome for us and it would also be good to see what the likes of Aspas and Alberto have in their drawers against strong opposition. Certainly one position where we have lot's of cover is CB so that may be an area where we might see some changes for this or the Chelsea game.
Rest players against city away? Seriously?

Of course they are favourites and likely to win this. but we shouldn't roll over in advance.
And who knows. If our defence can improve on set pieces (just a little)...

RaoulDuke said:
Rest players against city away? Seriously?

Of course they are favourites and likely to win this. but we shouldn't roll over in advance.
And who knows. If our defence can improve on set pieces (just a little)...
Out of Chelsea and City I think Chelsea is the more winnable game. I would rather have all the players fit and rest to face them. But then again if we get a result against maybe we can rest some against Chelsea? ;-)

My biggest concern is risking an injury to one of our key players. We should still be fine if we don't get much against City/Chelsea but if we lose key players through injury that could hurt us much more. Having said that I like being pessimistic in the pre-match threads. It's worked well so far in the last 4 games! :)

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
nimitzz said:
We have a lead to lose, and we have points to lose if we don't approach the game right. There is always something to lose which I hope we don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.