• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

PRE MATCH: Manchester City vs Liverpool (EPL), Thursday January 3rd 2019, 20:00

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
Pretty nailed on that the 3 in midfield will be Wijnaldum, Fabinho and Milner.

Back 5 and front 3 pick themselves, so there you have the starting 11.

Yours sincerely,

Jurgen.

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
Think you’re underestimating the importance of Wijnaldum. First midfielder on the team sheet and he doesn’t even have to improve his performance level - if he can keep it where it is at the moment he could soon be undropable like Alisson, VvD, Robertson, Salah, Firmino and Mané.
I'm not underestimating the importance of Wijnaldum... but in a game such as this, I value having our Captain and Vice Captain lead the way. Not to mention that they are a slight bit more defensive.

Would have no qualms about seeing Wijnaldum though.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
And Jürgen Klopp confirmed on Friday that the Reds' vice-captain is not fit for the meeting with Unai Emery's side at Anfield, although he hopes to be able to call on him for Thursday's trip to Manchester City.

The boss said: “Millie is Millie and that means he is again ahead of schedule. He had, yes, a little bit with the [hamstring] muscle. He will not be available for tomorrow, that’s not possible, but hopefully the game after that he will be available again.
https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/332016-jurgen-klopp-injury-update-arsenal

I think he will be available, and I think he will play.

You dont.
It's no big deal.

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
Good to see confidence is high in here.
Any win would be incredible for us, and for what it would mean to our season.
Ideally we don’t want to concede early as the longer they have to attack the better it suits us.
Also it would be good not to get a player sent off.
Team picks itself right now, though I hope we go for a Fabinho Wijnandum Shaqiri midfield. Having Shaqiri helps our forwards more with creating chances and meaning the front three don’t have to drop back to get the ball.
Should be a tense game.

1-1.

melbournered

TAA has coped with Man City quite admirably a few times already. I would actually be more concerned with whether Clyne is back to his best yet, having seen so little of him - so wouldn't play around.

Against Arsenal, I believe many of TAA's and Robertson's struggles came because they were perhaps asked to aggressively push forward much more than usual given Arsenal's defensive crisis.

Whether they are asked to do the same against Man City is doubtful, as like you said, we would more likely be punished by Sane and Aguero. If both are less aggressive I believe we will see a much better defensive performance.

I may be against a Milner-Henderson-Wijnaldum midfield... but I like the idea of having 2 of 3 versus teams like Man City! If Milner is healthy, I would have him and Henderson partner Fabinho.

Man City will need to attack us. They can't afford a loss... and a draw is not ideal for them either. They'll be far more nervous than us!
I liked your post except for your midfield selection. Wijnaldum is the first choice there, and will play.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
"Every living soul that comes into the stadium has to be ready to fight and give it to them, and we should be able to pull everything out of the locker for that game." - Kompany

lollollollol. Not even sure of the worst part of that statement. That City fans have souls? Or that they are even capable of sitting through 90 mins of their team pay let alone create an atmosphere? Guaranteed the only thing they'll be bothered singing will be the slippy g song, perhaps even before kickoff such is their class.

As for the game, this is a big big game. I think City will see this as a big opportunity to flip the script and do what we did to them last year. They will be up for it. And i think they will create a lot of opportunities. I think we got very lucky at Anfield earlier in the season, but also defended very well. And I think we are going to need a bit of luck again. I think we'll score but I certainly think they will as well.

City aren't in perfect form and we are sky high right now so will be a very interesting game. Won't be as cagey as at Anfield where Pep set up not to lose, which gives us an advantage.

If we lose, i just pray we can bounce back straight away in our next game.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
@nobluff 's form for the last 5 games is like a bunch of W's playing leap frog with each other, and it's not bedtime yet, so let the game continue - WWWWW - 15 points, 3 home wins, 2 away wins, 3 clean sheets, 2 goals conceded, 18 goals scored. Yes, Liverpool are still the only unbeaten side in the EPL, 54 points and counting. Liverpool are still the only side to have goals conceded, in single figures, and the closest rivals in goals conceded, have conceded exactly 100% more goals. We are top of the league by 7 points, with a slightly superior goal difference, so we have started to build that lead as well.

Man City are back to 2nd in the league. The form for the last 5 games is not that of a top 5 team, let's keep it that way - LWLLW - 6 points, 1 home win, 1 home loss, 1 away win, 2 away losses. They have only scored 9 goals while conceding 9. City have a goal difference of 38 (2nd in the league), and currently have the joint 2nd best defense in the EPL, at 16 goals conceded. They have scored the most goals, yet they seem to prefer being 2nd for most things. City is clearly a huge rival to what we all want to accomplish.

Liverpool have no new injury concerns, while city's De Bruyne "might" miss the game, while some other players are making a timely return to fitness. Delph is suspend.

This will be a game of City possession, and Liverpool hitting them on the break with viscous intent. I am sure that they feel, that they have to win this game, even a draw will be seen as a loss. The pressure of knowing what they have to do, is going to get to them. City never had this type of pressure on them when they strolled to the title last year. The city supporters will start getting nervous if things do not go their way, and this is going to translate into even more pressure on their players.

I just don't know what the lineup is going to be, and that's why I get two guesses.

Code:
           Alisson
TAA   Lovren     Virgil   Robertson
         Henderson  Gini
   Mane     Firmino      Keita
            Salah
or maybe

Code:
           Alisson
TAA   Lovren     Virgil   Robertson
         Henderson  Fabinho
   Mane     Firmino      Keita
            Salah
I am going for a hardcore 0-2 Liverpool win. I don't mind more goals for us, I just don't want to concede any.

So no worries, we got this one in the bag :celebrating: :-)

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
I'm saying Henderson will play.If Milner is available I would play him ahead of Fabinho.

Henderson, Milner and Gini would be my choice.
Fair enough.
My view is, that for all the creative talent City have, Fernandinho is the one I'm most concerned about.

Milner and Fabinho have it in their game to quieten him down, Henderson doesn't.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Fair enough.
My view is, that for all the creative talent City have, Fernandinho is the one I'm most concerned about.

Milner and Fabinho have it in their game to quieten him down, Henderson doesn't.

Fabinho has a habit of giving the ball away though. He did it against Newcastle and also Arsenal and led to dangerous situations. If he does that in this game then we may get punished.

Milner, Henderson and Gini have been a decent combination in many big games and can be trusted.

Not concerned with Fernandinho at all, he's a very important player for them defensively but offers very little for them attack-wise. I'm more concerned about the likes of Silva,Mahrez and De Bryune having time on the ball. Hendo,Gini and Millie won't let them settle.I don't mind Fabinho playing but I'm happy to have a bet with you that the captain plays this.

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
The midfield of this side resolves to it's lowest common denominator. At the moment, that person is Henderson despite what the Liverpool Echo would have you believe. When Wijnaldum plays without Henderson (normally with Fabinho as the 6) he's been utterly fucking brilliant, drawing plaudits on a regular basis (including from myself, who at this point is dining on copious amounts of shite on Gini - for all my bumph and guff he's been utterly titanic this season) whereas when Henderson does take the field, Gini is reduced to basically running around after him, cleaning up his shite.

Look, there's a case to be made for him - captain of the club, young(ish) lad on the receiving end of more than his fair share of shite over the last couple of years. But the reality is that right now, Jordan Henderson has NO FUCKING RIGHT to be anywhere CLOSE to our starting 11. Fabinho is the first name on that team sheet right now, and brings more to the position of a pivot 6 than Henderson could in a dream right now. His positioning when out of possession. His decision making when he has the ball. And the overall play in general... right now, twice the player Hendersn is in terms of commitment to the cause and effectiveness on the pitch.

If Hendo starts on Sunday, it's a fucking travesty.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Fair enough.

That sounds like we were never successful against them with Henderson on the pitch. Hendo started in our 3-0 CL first leg win and in the goalless draw (which would be a great result for us on Thursday) earlier this season.

I’ve looked it up and Fernandinho started both games so if that’s not calming him or them down what would be?

RedBaron

Curse you RedBaron!!!!
Very happy with a draw.
Tough, game with the world watching, any points will be enough.
Let’s just hope we continue to do, what we do best! Come on you Redmen!

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
Fabinho needs to cut down his errors in the initial part of the matches. That said, He along with Gini are the two midfielders to go with

It's largely going to be the same XI that played against Arsenal. Maybe Keita in ahead of Shaqiri to tire the city wingbacks even more

Allison
TAA Lovren Van Dijk Robertson
Gini Fabinho
Salah Keita/Shaq Mane
Firmino

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
Also, It's not as if they are going to play back and wait for us to make the offensive. They'll need the win more than us. The pressure is on them to win. They'll push bodies forward, This leaves them vulnerable to the quick counterattack. Klopp just needs to play his classic gegenpressing game and get liverpool set to sting them on the counter. If this means playing Keita over Shaq, Then so be it....Can always get Shaq in as an impact substitute later.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Henderson was rested last game so he has fresh legs for this game. I'm very surprised people can't see that. He was outstanding at Wolves. He had more forward passes than anyone (according to LFC TV). Looking forward to seeing him having an immense game and shutting his haters up. He is our captain and will he play in a game of this magnitude.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
As I said, the difference of opinion is not a big deal.

Let it go.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
One thing is for sure - Pep will never change his approach. He will always go for a win and Klopp has his number.
He has changed his approach against Liverpool before this season though. He tried to nullify our attack at Enfield, and settled for a 0-0 draw, accepting a point on the day. Overall, despite the missed penalty Liverpool were the better side on the day but our potency in attack was hampered by Pep being more defensive.
If he wants to be more expansive he leaves his defence open to a counter, and we just might expose that.

kwala

TIA Regular
We need to point out to the ref how many fouls Fernandinho makes to break up play. If he is not carded he will do it all game. Make a point of making an issue of it.

We have a better defence than them, and an equally lethal attack. They rely on maintaining possession, moving sides about and waiting for a gap in the defence to exploit. If we remain 100% focused, there will be opportunities to expose their back line with our pace and quick transitions in play.

They 100% need the win. If we can take 3 points we are in an unbelievably strong position.

Becker

TAA. Lovren. VVD. Robertson
Fabinho
Henderson. Gini.
Salah. Firmino. Mane.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
If Fernandinho the snide is out I think we have a great chance. They have to attack which will play right into our hands.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
My biggest worry is their pressing and how we cope with it. PSG nullified us at their place, Arsenal did it in both games and enjoyed some success, especially in London, and so did City at Anfield. We can't be loose with the ball or take our time because they will come out flying and they have the quality to punish mistakes.

Neutralizing their pressing would be massive towards winning this one.

geebo

Geebo Age unknown !
Its a very good position for us. Man City just have to win. 10 pts in 17 games to catch up isnt impossible, but its not probably ! It would need Liverpool to implode !
So City have to attack and have to get a win. This gives Klopp an advantage in planning. If we win or draw its a victory for us !! If we lose its still not a disaster.
I cant remember the last time we were ion such a good position at the top of the table. It has to be the Dalglish era.

Status
Not open for further replies.