Pre-Match: Manchester United v. Liverpool (Wed, 25/9 @ 19:45)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OhYaBeauty

Yeah the Southampton game was shite. On to the next one. Northwest Derbies always bring out the best in both teams, so I think we'll up our game for this one.

Big positive for this one is that Suarez is back. I can't see our attack turning the ball over so easily with him in it. Sure, he makes a bunch of turnovers, but he does so running at the opposition rather than having a poor first touch (Aspas) or making poor passes. With him in the side, I'm sure we'll be able to put together decent attacks again.

This game hinges on Gerrard for me. If there's any game in which he's likely to step back up and show what he's got, its this one. He's been uncharacteristically poor in our last two Premier League games and hopefully the rivalry forces him to step back up for this one. If he passes, presses, and gets forward like we know he can, we have a real chance at this one. If he continues sitting deep, losing the ball, and looking like a passenger we'll almost certainly lose.

I'm confident that Rodgers will go with a full strength lineup, which I think will look like this:

steve10

TIA New Signing
The game next weekend against Sunderland is more important than the mickey mouse cup. It is however a good opportunity for the squad players to show their talent or lack of as the case may be. Agger & Enrique are both carrying knocks so I wouldn't play them. Gerrard definitely needs a rest . I would play both Sturridge and Moses as neither are match fit IMO and need minutes on the pitch. Not sure if Allen is available My team would be

Mignolet
Toure Sakho Skrtel
Wisdom Hendo Alberto Lucas Moses
Sturridge Suarez

Dublin_Kopite

TIA Legend
I would personally rest half the starting XI for this as the league is the priority:
Gerrard, Lucas, Agger, Enrique and Sturridge would all sit this one out for me!

cardiffpete

TIA Reserve Team
OhYaBeauty said:
Yeah the Southampton game was shite. On to the next one. Northwest Derbies always bring out the best in both teams, so I think we'll up our game for this one.

Big positive for this one is that Suarez is back. I can't see our attack turning the ball over so easily with him in it. Sure, he makes a bunch of turnovers, but he does so running at the opposition rather than having a poor first touch (Aspas) or making poor passes. With him in the side, I'm sure we'll be able to put together decent attacks again.
If there is one player who turns over the ball in EPL, then it's Suarez ;-) i.e. fully 190+ times last-term ... but I do get your overall point, that he should very much kick-start us again from our recent mini-slump ...and also offer real threat and potency to our attack.

Not really sure what our strongest XI is at the moment, but I'd personally go with:

Mignolet​
Hendo Kolo Sakho Enrique​
Gerrard Lucas​
Luis Alberto​
Suarez Sturridge Moses​
Tough call at RB ...and I really don't want to see a makeshift there myself. However, Wisdom was awful versus Swansea, Kolo is really good at RCB, iLori is too new for this type of game and Mclaughlin is just a kid. Hence, Hendo as the best of a bad lot. Hendo is actually really good when he has space ahead of him IMO and fairly decent defensively as well, so it could work out as a stop-gap option.

As to CB, it's the heart of the team and I really rate Kolo there for his composure and experience) and Sakho looks the business too. Time for both of them to start to gel on the pitch and (hopefully) form a boss partnership there. Agger could even play at LCB, or else probably Enrique. Both maybe not 100% fit, so a real toss-up for LB.

A highish line (from our CB's) is absolutely crucial for me. It takes quite a bit of bravery, courage and self-confidence and a lot of trust in your teammate's ability (to not lose silly ball) to really compact play and to really play a high line defense i.e. you can be made to look like real fools etc if it goes wrong (and it will do, occasionally) ...but goddamn it, LFC should be bossing teams (or at least trying to) ...and you just simply cannot really boss teams without taking a calculated risk. No high-line = a no-risk defensive set-up, thus hoping for a moment of magic. I'd much pefer the Ajax style of taking teams on. Take the odd loss on the chin and at least go down trying. Leaving massive gaps in CM is just asking for trouble. OK, compacting play against better sides (and/or great counter-attacking teams) is also asking for trouble, but on-the-other-hand compacting play shows real ambition to win games ...and not just rely on a moment of magic or two.

Far, far better than us just sitting back against Soton, keeping it pretty tightish at the back (but also ceeding massive gaps in CM) and allowing the opposition the ball on (many long) punts forward. If the Ref had given the penalty against Soton, we might have won ugly. Instead we lost ugly. I'd rather we lost by giving it a proper go ...and that means compacting play and a high line ...than going down with a whimper.

Even if it's an opponent of the calibre of ManU ...I do not want us to sit back and keep it tight, I want us to compact play and try to dominate the match. If we do lose, then we lose ...but then at least go out fighting i.e. none of this pragmatic, keep-it-tight lark for me ;-)

In attack, I'd give Luis Alberto a run-out at AM (the #10) for this one myself. He's looked quality whenever I've seen him play (so far). Then stick Sturridge more central, Suarez from the right and Moses left ...and we should be very competitive.

Hoping for a real response for this game and hoping for a starting XI like I listed. If Allen is fit, I'd maybe play him instead of Luis Alberto.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Wouldn't mind seeing a Toure-Sakho partnership at the back.

Allen and Henderson in midfield as the partnership with Alberto in front of them, put some energy back in there. Gerrard simply can't play this for me, give the fella a break.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
Losing to this lot will further dent our already diminishing confidence.

Cant believe the amount of first choice players people are looking to drop, and a 33 year old needing a rest in September doesn't wash with me.

May as well just do what the mancs did in the FA Cup years ago and pull out of this competition.

cardiffpete

TIA Reserve Team
Dane said:
Losing to this lot will further dent our already diminishing confidence.

Cant believe the amount of first choice players people are looking to drop, and a 33 year old needing a rest in September doesn't wash with me.

May as well just do what the mancs did in the FA Cup years ago and pull out of this competition.
ManU will surely be the the ones resting 5~6, as doubt that they'll take it 100% seriously, especially with City away on Sunday and West Brom next Saturday.

We should be taking it very seriously though, with a good rest between Saturday (Soton) and next Sunday (Sunderland away). Many injury concerns for LFC, but would expect most of the first team to play for us. ManU probably making 5~6 changes, but still competitive.

RMP

TIA First Team
Mignolet​
Toure Agger Sakho​
Henderson Lucas Gerrard Enrique​
Suarez Sturridge Moses​

I think United will take it seriously enough for us to play our best team.

R

RedRiot

I'd go with a full strength side, with players in proper positions. If Enrique is still unfit, then you may have to shuffle this so that Sakho plays at LB and one of Skrtel or Agger plays at CB (Sakho was a better LB today than Enrique usually is or in fact was himself today anyway.

Of course, I think Gerrard will play and he will likely up his game, I just don't like Henderson wide right, and think we need Suarez on the ball as often as possible, hence his position as the #10. Also, one of Suarez or Henderson would be much better as the advanced central player to pester Carrick and keep him from playing than other options we have in that position.

shootscore

Mignolet

Wisdom Toure Skrtel Enrique

Henderson Lucas

Gerrard

Suarez Sturridge Moses

Lucas

Last time we played Luis Suarez as CAM was when we lost 3-1 to Southampton funnily enough, wasn't it? I thought after that we all decided he was not by any stretch a midfielder, as we got completely overran in the centre of the park. Think we'll see him on the right where he played for Ajax!

rab

All this moaning about Rodgers playing Toure and Sakho out of position and yet in the first dozen posts we've got people advocating playing Suarez as an attacking midfielder, Wisdom and Moses as wingbacks, Henerson at right back, and Gerrard as an attacking midfielder.

Lots of square pegs in round holes in some of these formations. Oh and Wisdom at right back just one game on from being hammered for his performance against Swansea. Bet Rodgers will get hammered if he set the team up like half of these and we lose.

nimitzz

TIA Reserve Team
i dont care who plays... i dont care what formation we play but i demand we give a fight... i dont expect us to win this.... but even if we loose after stretching it to 2-3 i would be really happy... lets be frank we dont have the players right now to beat them.... give them a nice fight... and concentrate in epl!

slufsar

i dont think i have seen a single liverpool lineup this season with henderson centrally. now im talking about actual line ups and these fantasy line ups people making. its quite shocking how people dont understand something this elementary. its so glaringly obvious that lucas and gerrard need im ahead of them, and its equally obvious that suarez and aspas is more comfortable on the wing than in a cam.

rab

------------------ Mignolet ------------------

Wisdom --- Toure --- Sakho --- Enrique

---------- Henderson --- Lucas ----------

Sterling --------- Alberto ---------- Moses

------------------- Suarez ---------------------

R

RedRiot

Is Suarez as a second striker really that bad? If I recall, he played off of Sturridge at times last season to decent effect. I don't have him in my lineup as "midfielder". I have him there to play between the lines and pick up the ball in a lot of different positions, which he does better than lead the line. He's played that type of role with us a lot more than he has the wide right role.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
RedRiot said:
Is Suarez as a second striker really that bad? If I recall, he played off of Sturridge at times last season to decent effect. I don't have him in my lineup as "midfielder". I have him there to play between the lines and pick up the ball in a lot of different positions, which he does better than lead the line. He's played that type of role with us a lot more than he has the wide right role.
Think there is huge panic because southampton dominated us in midfield when Suarez was used there last year.

I too think there's a place for him there. Use a high line and press hard and high up the pitch, Suarez in that position with players running ahead of him is something else. Not to be used in every game but it's certainly an option worth considering.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Anyone know how long Allen is out for he could be pretty useful at this present moment in time.

Anyhow Suarez back will create for Sturridge it may even create for Aspas if he plays but that would mean dropping Moses as Aspas shouldn't play in AM again.

It will certainly create for Suarez, the AM well if Allen isn't fit then Henderson or Alberto (was he any decent today anyone?).

I would certainly like to see Kelly back in as he is the closest to Johnson in our full back options and closest to the way Rodgers used to play.

Don't underestimate the impact of Suarez mind he will create 4 or 5 chances for you and have a few himself, I think we may well see a return to the Rodgers style from now on in, the comments seem to suggest that.

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Ad-free Member
I suppose we'll know later today how "serious" Moyes will be about the Wednesday encounter...It's too early for them to just "go for everything" so I expect a blended 1st team starters with some squad players. PL and CL will take priority. Thus, losing key players to suspension or serious injury will not go over well for Moyes.

Because of this, and the Utd personnel involved being somewhat of a group who would want to "prove themselves" I foresee a more open game and an unorthodox / un-derby like clash. The winner may advance with a 2-3 goal differential.

Here's to hoping that this clash proves me wrong and is a true, competitive, full-of-hatred match which get won on a tiny margin (a goal or following a PK shoot-out).

costared

TIA Reserve Team
I think we should go with the best balanced line up possible from the players we have available.For me that would be the following.

Mignolet
Toure-Skrtle -Agger-Sakho
Henderson-Gerrard-Enrique
Suarez-Sturridge -Moses

This is a more compact line up that will not give the opposition the freedom of midfield like our recent line ups yet still posesses bags of goal potential and the possibility of midfielders breaking forward to join in the attack.
I know this is not Rogers style and it will not be what he does but I do feel it is our best option.
Opponents know what our tactics are going to be at the moment and they are easy to counteract, this gives us a more balanced,solid line up but still offers plenty of variation in attack.

Bleech

TIA Reserve Team
Mignolet​
Wisdom Toure Agger Enrique​
Henderson Lucas​
Alberto​
Suarez Sturridge Moses​
I'd be tempted to drop Stevie for Hendo because he's been rubbish when put under any pressure by the opposition. Toure and Agger has been our best partnership so far and Wisdom should play better with Toure there to advise him (it's either Wisdom or Ilori). Alberto's the nearest thing we have to Coutinho so may as well give him a chance. The front 3 pick themselves. If Gerrard does play (which is more than likely), I'd want Henderson central in the Alberto position where he can make a pain in the arse of himself for Carrick and Fellaini.

okocha10

Football Master
After that game vs Notts County, i would be happy to see a team without Gerrard, Agger, Sturridge and Lucas.

Lucas

The players will have a rocket up their arse for this game, both after the last performance and because it's United. I'm not at all worried we'll repeat the mistakes of the last game.

AnfieldCat

TIA Squad Member
I'm not having this 'its the Mickey Mouse cup' crap, we aren't in Europe this season meaning way less matches so there is no excuse not to go for it in both domestic cups and we should look to win both. Plus its the ultimate scum away which makes it a MUST WIN always!

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Ad-free Member
Lucas under different circumstances I'd agree.
But with the injuries we have and the dissaray in our defense and midfield, i think this could be a disaster for us.

Especially after their bad performance against us.....oh and If they get a good result against Citeh today I fear for the worst.

yiannos33

Believe
Why rest anyone so early when we are not in Europe and the poor performance on Saturday.
Unless injured we should play the same team that beat them.

lovepool

The reason we rest players is because we need the likes of Gerrard to be 100% for our league games. It may be early in the season but playing alot of games early in the season effects a player later in the season. All the top teams rotate so their is obviously evidence to back it up.

The league is our priority. I would take 3 points against Sunderland over a win in the League cup

Status
Not open for further replies.