• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Pre-Match | Manchester United vs Liverpool | PL Matchday 9 | Sunday October 20th 16:30h | Old Trafford

Status
Not open for further replies.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
'A wounded animal is most dangerous'
Does this apply for football? We'll probably see on sunday. Still think the international break came at the right time for them.

Said it before the break - the title race is a marathon and not a sprint and i would take 4 points against ManU and Spurs rightaway but our team has become so ruthless. We've beaten opponents with bad performances - so Ole is one good perfomance by ours lads away from being sacked i guess.

Can see Milner start this one and hope Matip and Mo are fit to start. Origi clearly the first choice if Salah misses out.

Adrisson
TAA Matip VvD Robertson
Wijnaldum Fabinho Milner
Salah Firmino Mané

YNWA

Red over the water

I expect Man Utd to be at least 50% better because it’s us. Their fans know they are a poor side in relation to us these days, but that won’t stop a fervent home crowd roaring them on and demanding they sweat blood for the cause. If we match their endeavor, and under Klopp putting a shift in is a prerequisite, then we should win.

The quality gap between us means that if it clicks, we will give them a hiding. A combination of Old Trafford, their pride, and our patchy finishing thus far, might make it closer than it should be though.

The team I’d like to see:

————-Alisson————
Trent Matip Van Dijk Robbo
————Fabinho————-
—-Henderson—Keita——
Mo——-Bobby——Sadio

Keita is the unusual pick. I did it because I want to see his Liverpool career start to take off. A good performance against a big rival (though they are a poor side at them moment) could really see him kick on.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Whilst I do agree, I think it is wise to wait for @PeachesEnRegalia assessment before making any predictions
As much as we have to take serious note of what Peaches has to say, I'm fairly certain that United are awful and I stand by that. I'm sure Peaches will soon be backing me up with his in-depth pre match assessment.(y)

Red over the water

If it all clicks we could really hammer them, and that could prompt Oleh’s sacking. He is well out of his depth there, so I want him to hang on as long as possible. There might be a manager or two knocking about who could significantly improve them, and with their budget they could quickly become competitive again.

So I’m torn between hammering them, and putting another Man Utd manager out of work after we did that to Mourinho; and on the other hand getting a narrow victory, where they can claim progress while we claim the points.

Nur der BvB09

Imo a 1 0 win ll do for me. i still want Ole to be in charge at man united and put his Philosophy forehead as he s done until now. Klopp put the nails in Mourinho s couffin, would that be the case for Ole, then perhaps at man united everytime they confront our Team and klopp is in charge, must fear the next sacking :ROFLMAO:

MarcusBerglund

They always play their best football vs. us ot Old Toilet.

Form is not important in these matches, it is about desire, cool heads and using your chances. Their fans will be up for it. And this season they struggled to win when other teams played in deep defensive block. But at the same time their best games were when Manure defended deep and used the counterattacks and the speed of James,Rashford and Martial /if he has recoverd from injury/ - Chelsea /4-0/ and Leicester /1-0/.

They will have 7-8 players behind the ball most of the time and will try to hit us on the counter attack with long diagonal balls /mainly behind TAA/, using James and Rashford in that zone. I fully expect them to adopt the Sheffield United tactics, but with one difference - they have the better players /while I am not sure that they have the better manager/.

Looks like they will have their best defensive players back for us - Bissaka, Maguire, Lindeloff, Shaw. And in these matches Salah goes missing for most of the time, while Mane will have hard time against Bissaka who is fantastic defensively.
Last season they stopped us for the title and I bet this season that will be their most important aim /and the 2 matches against us will be something special for them, while they will let $ity spank them as their town whores and their shit fans will probably applause that fact/.

If we want to win this game - our midfielders must step up to the task. It's a shame for his teammates that Milner with 2 PL starts has 1 goal and 2 assits /2 assists against Saints and Leicester/ which is more than all of our midfielders combined - Gini /1 goal/, Hendo /no goals or assists/, Lallana /same as Hendo/, Fabinho /1 assist vs. Arsenal/, AOC /zero goals and assists/ and Keita /zero goals and assists/.

We are over reliant to our full backs and the front three, but when teams find way to stop them we are in a trouble /again the example is Sheffield U away. We scored with our first shot on goal after 70 minutes and honestly we were lucky that their goalkeeper made a mess of a very easy ball from Wijnaldum/.

Last season at the Toilet we played decent first 25 minutes, but finished the match with 1 weak shot on target and no real situation for goal. As I wrote, my real concern is our midfield. The guys are good at running at the opposition and pressing, but bar Fabinho no world class player there. Hendo's form is a real concern at the moment. AOC is obviously far away from his best moments in 2017/2018 season, while Keita is injured more of the time. Hopefully Milner will repeat his heroics vs. Leicester, because at the moment James looks like the best option to play alongside Fabinho. The question is who will be the 3rd midfielder and looks like Gini's chances are best to start along Millie and Fab.

auzziez

Just let them think they are in control and strike when the iron is red hot. No complacency and absolute ruthlessness when the situation demands. If our front three have their shooting boots on and are clinical in front of the goal, I am sure we can make the game look easier than thought.
Come on you Reds.

Flobs

FADA
If we show up we'll smash 'um.
My worry is they will want it more than us. As far as I'm concerned the scenario we have have the last 2 seasons.
So come on lads show us what your made of, get stuck in, don't take any shit (even if manure is flying all around) and win this one!

Alright Now

If we show up we'll smash 'um.
My worry is they will want it more than us. As far as I'm concerned the scenario we have have the last 2 seasons.
So come on lads show us what your made of, get stuck in, don't take any shit (even if manure is flying all around) and win this one!
@Flobs What’s the “it” they will want more than us? Ole at the wheel? Renewed Chevy endorsement? Higher salaries? Jordan Sancho? A draw? 11th?

Flobs

FADA
@Flobs What’s the “it” they will want more than us? Ole at the wheel? Renewed Chevy endorsement? Higher salaries? Jordan Sancho? A draw? 11th?
it = result.
Our lads just haven't looked like they want 'it' as much these last few years. I'm just hoping we go in wanting 'it' more than them this time.
Let's face it they are crap but just showing up and playing football hasn't proved enough so let's have some 'will' as well.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
When we were shit and United won everything I always looked forward to our home game against them. Our chance to make it a bit more difficult for them to win the league or at least delay the inevitable for a game or two perhaps. Now the roles are reversed their fans will look at this in exactly the same way. They will be well up for this and even though this is probably the worst United team in my adult life and definitely their worst manager I don't think it'll be easy. Expect a rabid atmosphere, a deep-lying defence and lots of long balls over the top for Rashford and co to chase.

We are well overdue a good performance at Old Trafford under JK. Not won there since he's been manager. I could be wrong but the players have given me the impression that they haven't always completely fancied it, resulting in sub-par performances. Circumstances are different now and there really is no excuse for not turning up. United were flying under Solskjaer when we played them last season and under Mourinho and Van Gaal you knew that tactically they would be solid. Now they're in freefall and have no real playing identity. We are miles better than them and JK will never have a better chance to break his Old Trafford duck.

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Ad-free Member
They will be so up for this. Beating us to deny us the record will compensate for their shit start. An early goal to settle the nerves is key. I would say calm the crowd but far play to the manc fans they do keep singing even in adversity. I hate to say it but they are probably the best fans in the Pl when it comes to keeping vocally supporting a losing team. I feel dirty just for typing that though. Smash them, they’re shit.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
The whole time we were wandering in the wilderness, we almost always turned up when we played United. It will be fascinating to see what they do and how they play now they're so poor. If they just roll over and die, they're really, seriously long term fucked. We'll win regardless but seeing them utterly humbled will be a marvellous thing. Pass the brandy and cigars :)

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter
The game I look forward to and dread at the same time. The majority of these games dont live up to the hype, so hoping I am wrong and we trash them at the toilet.

I think there is enough time for all the international players to rest before the game, or else we have enough players like Milner, Ox, Keita, Salah, etc, that are totally rested.

We are so good and they are so bad, unfortunately the form goes out the window when we play, so 0-4 to us.

Ray_Chua

I remember not too long ago Hendo was given the rights to go forward and did well in those games. Have not seen that recently and that's why the sub-par performance. Perhaps this is a good time for him to step up again.

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter
And Hendos form has been shit, so bench. Gini is on a high, so yes.

Allison
Trent Matip Virgil Robbo
Fab
Milner Gini
Bobby
Mo Mane

Assuming all are fit and rested. Or Keita for Gini/Milner, but probably would be seen as too risky.

Status
Not open for further replies.