• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Pre Match MK Dons v Liverpool EFL Cup (25/09/19 KO 19:45)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Lonergran/Kelleher
Hoever - Gomez - Lovren - Milner

Ox - Lallana - Keita (if fit) or Curtis Jones

Elliott - Brewster - Shaqiri

Maybe not the strongest of line up's but should be capable of getting a result against MK Dons,plus gives the main guys a weeks rest.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
I'm thinking a lot of the first team rested,Lovren,Gomez and Shaq with maybe Brewster starting,Lallana as the holdong 6,will the youngsters get a chance,let's have a little run at this shall we or are we thinking it's wank so not arsed.
:eek:

Are you allowed to open this? Or are we looking to get knocked out early doors? ;)

Sweeting

I would go with...

Adrian
Hoever Gomez Lovren Milner
Kane Lallana Keita
Oxlade-Chamberlain Brewster Jones

Subs: Kelleher; Van Den Berg, Larouci, Henderson, Cain, Clarkson, Stewart

Edited with Keita being fit - don't see the point in us not loaning out Kane if he doesn't start (but I don't really expect him to either. It is bizarre what we have done with him.)

Last edited:

LFCFFC

The reindeer cup...we meet again. Utterly stunning that we don't have a top 6 opponent to start our campaign.

Don't want any of the front 3 or back 4 near this one. Come to think of it, I don't want Gini, Hendo or Fab starting either.

No disrespect to Dons intended, but after a tough week away and with some big fixtures on the horizon in October, we can't afford an injury during an early round cup game.

If that increases the likelihood of a fuckup, so be it. Hopefully a Shaq/Brewster hatrick minimises that risk.

Incognito

The Normal One
Kind of obvious that none or most of the first team players would not feature in this one. Think they might not have even if it was against one of the PL teams, so very improbable in this case. Just hope the likes of Shaq, Ox, Lallana, Brewster and co impress to be able to be considered for rotation in league here onwards.

And a win of course.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Start with this

Adrian
Trent Matip Van Dijk Robertson
Fabinho
Henderson Wijnaldum
Salah Firmino Mane
And work backwards until none of them are playing

Kelleher
Hoever Gomez Lovren Lewis
Lallana
OxChamb Milner
Shaqiri Brewster Jones.​

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Shaqiri's injury couldn't come at a more fucked-up time for him and for everyone. With Origi unavailable, it will probably force Klopp to play one of his senior players, either in midfield or upfront.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised to see a line-up like this:

Ox Brewster Elliott
Jones Gini
Lallana
Milner Gomez Lovren Hoever
Adrian​

Subs: Kelleher, Van den Berg, Larouci, Hendo, Kane, Firmino, Salah

If we go with an entire team of youngsters, we'll lose out. On the other hand, many key players need a rest before the week-end. So it's definitely a tricky one for Klopp.

The stadium has a capacity of 30k, I wonder if all places will be taken. It could be a terrific atmosphere there, and our lads will have to work hard in order to get through against a pumped-up opposition. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it goes into extra-time, or even penalties. It's that kind of game our lads will likely be facing tomorrow night, on a difficult pitch probably, with a ref keen to even things up. Hopefully our lads will be able to prevail, but it's a tricky one in my book.

Edit: as Naby is declared fit for this one (good news!), I'd put him straight in instead of Jones, who takes place on the bench instead of Kane.

Last edited:

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Love how Pep describes our rotation but still having serious approach in these games.

You cannot throw just kids, you cannot throw 3 kids on one side par example: LB, LW, LCM. It's not helping them showing that they can possibly play of a part. Of course, it can work, it's not impossible. It's a shame to be without Shaq as this was ideal for him to get minutes, but we have to plan smartly.

This is not going to Exeter (I think) away in Klopp's first season in hectic schedule when we had people like Ilori, Caulker, Enrique, Randall, Sinclair, Chirivella starting. Basically anyone below who could walk. We're a few years under Klopp, the place is much more better and better organized. We can give our young players a few senior names to carry us through these fixtures and them to have more of a support individually, each in their positions.

Last year we also didn't have luck with Chelsea and Wolves being our first cup games. But we're not Leicester. You cannot act to be one of the leading clubs in the world, "European Champions", whatever and then play a nonsense Football Manager team every so often on a Wednesday between Saturdays. It doesn't work like that. Rotation yes, but clever rotation and having a team strong enough to win the game.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial

Looks about right to me. Kieta, Brewster, Gomez, Hoever, Lovren, Kelleher all going to be involved. Then it's just filling in the blanks. Do you go with experience like Milner and Lallana to play with the kids? Probably. Does Elliot get a run out? Maybe.

Kelleher
Lallana
Ox Kieta
Elliot Brewster Jones​
That's a lot of kids in the front line. I wonder if one of Salah or Mane will play with them to give a bit of balance. Also not sure I like Milner covering left back, but I'd try to get him in the team as the old head with all the youth, and Lallana and Kieta both definitley need some game time. Maybe Milner plays in mid instead of Ox, and Lewis or Lourici (sp?) plays left back.

Commando

Ad-free Member
From the Chavski post match thread,

I went for Adrian, Robbo and Joel as MOTMs.
I'm a bit concerned about how often dangerous crosses come in from Trent's side. I lost count of the number of times the ball went long over Trent's head to Alonso. Hence why Joel had such a stand out performance. It was necessary. The commentary team alluded to him being drawn in to cover the threat from Mount. Surely Trent is now experienced enough to tell a midfielder that he's covering two players (Alonso and Mount) and get some assistance.

Anyway, three points is all that matters. I'll take three points each game from now until May.

COYR YNWA
Shows you what I know about footy.
Jurgen in one of his post match pressers said that he and his team were happy for Alonso to have tha ball and cross it, as that played to Joel and Virgil's strengths.
That's exactly why my pre match mantra is to leave player selection, formation and tactics to Mr Klopp and his team.

COYR YNWA

BigJon

The Incredibly Interesting and Informative Guide To Where You Are Visiting This Midweek.

This (mid) week it's a paradise lost - Milton Keynes.

It would be very easy to simply deride and disparage Milton Keynes as a plastic, soul-less, over planned London dormitory of fake concrete cows, dull architecture and endless roundabouts - or as they are known in MK "democratic traffic allowance systems."

So here goes.

MK was designed and constructed in the 1970s and like most things from that era - Flares, Glam Rock, British Radio/TV entertainers and the Austin Allegro it turned out shit.

MK has applied to become European Capital of Culture in 2023 pretty ironic given that A) - it's not even a city, B) The EU will probably be a bit reluctant to award the "honour" to a town that is not even in the EU. and C) There is more culture at the bottom of an empty yoghurt pot than there is in MK.

Talking of lack of culture - Cliff Richard filmed the video for Wired for Sound in MK shopping centre - rollerskating around in leather trousers and jacket. Very edgy.

Famous people from MK - Kevin Whatley of Morse fame. Jazz singer Cleo Laine - shoo be doobie bloody doo.

Your visit to MK will have to be a well-planned military operation - Get in, do the job then get out before you are detected. Stay too long and you may long to be at home watching paint dry or just talking to an Everton supporter.

Smash the bland, tofu eating, vanilla coated, beige middle-class bastards.

Line up -

All those that are fit and havent played yet this season.

3-0

Magnus

I am remarkably hyped for this game. Why ? Is it because I believe we will be awesome or play a fantastic game ? Not really. Not at all. But I do think that we will see a very interesting line up of youngsters, and it will be interesting to see if any of them do well. I also believe we will win, but not necessarily in a very convincing manner. I do believe that we will have impact subs that may turn the game if we struggle and I do believe we will advance.

Magnus

I'm thinking a lot of the first team rested,Lovren,Gomez and Shaq with maybe Brewster starting,Lallana as the holdong 6,will the youngsters get a chance,let's have a little run at this shall we or are we thinking it's wank so not arsed.
It is my personal opinion that it is important to go deep into all the cups, so that our reserve players and youngstes can play as many matches as possible, so that they will be match fit if called upon late in the season, if any of our stars gets injured or hits a bad form. That is my thinking at least. I don't expect us to win the cups. However, following this path, you may find yourself in a semi finals and then you all of suddenly have a shot at a title.

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
Could listen him all day. :)

Just watched the press conference. I am really impressed with Pep. He has learned alot under Jürgen during the last few years and improved himself after the ill fated moved to the Dutch League. Dare I say it. I would prefer Pep to be the natural successor, after Jürgen finishes his tenure at the club.

Dave-D

It is my personal opinion that it is important to go deep into all the cups, so that our reserve players and youngstes can play as many matches as possible, so that they will be match fit if called upon late in the season, if any of our stars gets injured or hits a bad form. That is my thinking at least. I don't expect us to win the cups. However, following this path, you may find yourself in a semi finals and then you all of suddenly have a shot at a title.
Last thing I want is a cardboard cup two legged semi where first choice end up playing and getting injured or less time training for a league game as the team have to prepare for the cardboard cup.

Joe Gomez x

————————Kelleher————————
-Hoever——Gomez——Lovren——-Lewis—
——-Jones——Lallana——Keita—————
——Oxlade———Brewster——Elliott/Origi—

Should win and hope to win so we can play the younger lads and fringe players more this season than last season.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Lonergran/Kelleher
Hoever - Gomez - Lovren - Milner

Ox - Lallana - Keita (if fit) or Curtis Jones

Elliott - Brewster - Shaqiri

Maybe not the strongest of line up's but should be capable of getting a result against MK Dons,plus gives the main guys a weeks rest.
That is pretty much what I thought but Shaqu is injured and Ox did not play last Saturday. Also Gini only had a part game.

Sweeting

I've just noticed that the FA, in their wisdom, have our U21s playing against Fleetwood Town tomorrow at the same time as this game.

Defeat in that game means we are out of the EFL Trophy.

If we send most of our best U23s to the first team then I can only see some variation of these teams...

Adrian
Oxlade-Chamberlain Lallana Keita
Salah Brewster Firmino

Kelleher
Williams Clayton Boyes Lewis
Kane Chirivella Clarkson
Elliott Stewart Jones

God only knows why the fixtures are on at the same time, seems ridiculous and potentially robs a few players of their 1st team debut. Shame on the FA.

Edit: VDBerg and Larouci injured.

Last edited:

Red over the water

I’m looking forward to seeing how Brewster, Hoever and Elliott do, assuming they start. There’s a lot of quality there. It’s a good draw for us. We should rest most if not all the first choice XI but last season progress in the cups was stymied by narrow losses to Prem teams. This is a good draw and hopefully we go far in the competition... but one game at a time and all that.

Elliott is full of confidence. Brewster looks full of goals. Hoever looks full of class.

Go on lads. Make it count.

Status
Not open for further replies.