• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Pre Match: Newcastle (a) Saturday, 12:45pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmydestiny

In between the lines
Right, the international break is over. The reds travel to Newcastle to face a side who have started to turn things around. Thoughts?

Matt

Poor Scouser Tommy
Admin
I worry that Suarez is yet to have even started his country's game (v Argentina, kicks off in 15 mins) and we are away to Newcastle in the Saturday lunchtime game. Could be an issue.

On the bright side, all the injured players are now back in training.

Zoran

Doming King said Coloccini is a major doubt for them although on the other hand I think Steven Taylor will return.

lovepool

Are Johnson or Coutinho back? If not I would play Kelly right wingback with Henderson joining Lucas and Gerrard in midfield. Moses has not been great behind the front and I would leave him on the bench for this one. If we can keep a clean sheet then would would fancy the SAS to get us the win

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
We should be up for this one.
Unless Johnson and Coutinho are fit can't see much being changed for this.
Hendo to stay in the midfield he was pretty decent last game.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
Johnson , cissoko and Allen are definitely back in training not sure on Coutinho though

Riddler

I remember reading a couple weeks ago something from Rodgers that the international break was a good thing for us cos a few of our injured players would be back. But haven't heard anything since...

If Johnson is back then will Rodgers ditch the 3 at the back and go with the more familiar 4?
Dunno, would like to see Johnson in that right wing back position actually...going forward has always been his strength but whether the 3 across the back is a long term solution, I don't think so.

Probably not the right place but....if we're looking for another forward/wide player - then Townsend would be nice, wow, first time I've watched him live and what a player.

R

RedRiot

Hope to see the diamond and a fairly commanding performance. It's been awhile since Newcastle have given us a proper test and they don't seem prepared to do so this time either. We have yet to properly run riot against any team, it would be nice if it was against the Toon. Still, will have to be wary of Remy and Ben Arfa (if he's fit).

therealkeano1

TIA Reserve Team
Riddler said:
I remember reading a couple weeks ago something from Rodgers that the international break was a good thing for us cos a few of our injured players would be back. But haven't heard anything since...

If Johnson is back then will Rodgers ditch the 3 at the back and go with the more familiar 4?
Dunno, would like to see Johnson in that right wing back position actually...going forward has always been his strength but whether the 3 across the back is a long term solution, I don't think so.

Probably not the right place but....if we're looking for another forward/wide player - then Townsend would be nice, wow, first time I've watched him live and what a player.
I like to see Johnson come in and I think we should take all 3 here.

On the townsand comment 2 good games for England doesn't mean he going to be great. Sterling and ibe have a lot more potential imo.

Ataturk

★★★★★
With Johnson coming back at wing back and Coutinho to come back (eventually) to replace Moses in the central position, I don't see any reason to change the 3-5-2.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
therealkeano1 said:
I like to see Johnson come in and I think we should take all 3 here.

On the townsand comment 2 good games for England doesn't mean he going to be great. Sterling and ibe have a lot more potential imo.
He's also done well in the lower leagues, for QPR and for Spurs. I don't see how you could possibly come to that conclusion since he's miles ahead of Sterling at the moment, technically and athletically.

On topic, you have to fancy us if Coloccini is out. Suarez, Sturridge and Moses could run their shoddy back line ragged. Remy, Ben Arfa and Cabaye are good footballers though. Like most games this season (bar the last two) I'm not very confident.

Riddler

therealkeano1 said:
I sure hope you're right mate about Sterling and Ibe. Was just saying that I think Townsend looks a fine player.

Bleech

TIA Reserve Team
Riddler said:
I sure hope you're right mate about Sterling and Ibe. Was just saying that I think Townsend looks a fine player.
I don't like him. He doesn't know when to pass... he beats a load of players but before he's passed the ball the space closes on his attacker then he has limited options and does something rubbish like pass backwards or smash a random cross or have his 20th long shot of the game. He can dribble and he works hard but he doesn't seem to have much game intelligence. Unconvinced by him.

nimitzz

TIA Reserve Team
another goal fest... what ever it is lets go for a win, one game at a time...
wont rush johnson... we just need someone to take care of remy... n possibly ben arfa or cabaye! we have 3 big games after that so lets start with the fit team

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
I would rest Suarez and play Moses up front with Sturridge. Suarez will be getting back very late for such an early kick off. We need to make sure we don't risk him when we need him for the bigger games in November / December. Off the bench if we're struggling.

Mignolet, Toure, Agger, Sahko, Enrique, Johnson, Lucas, Gerrard, Henderson, Moses, Sturridge.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
So glad I will be back home in time in Singapore to watch this on TV instead of rotting away in some dodgy hotel in Timor Leste!

Soyasource

With the 3-5-2 formation, I would like to see this starting line up.

Simon​
Skrtel--Sahko--Agger​
Glen---Henderson---Stevie---Enrique​
Coutinho​
Suarez---Sturridge​
Subs: Aspas, Sterling, Victor, Kolo, Aly, Lucas, Alberto​
With a 4-2-3-1(attacking) formation I would like to see this starting line up.

Simon​
Glen---Sahko---Agger---Enrique​
Henderson---Stevie​
Coutinho​
Suarez---------------Victor​
Sturridge​
Subs: same as above​
I'm not sure which formation works for us better. We seem to be getting the results with the former but our possession football is much better with the latter formation. Brendon knows best though and I'm fine with any formation really, as long as we get the results and maintain the positive vibe our players have ben boasting recently.

I predict a 4-2 scoreline.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Powerful midfield...Exactly the kind of opposition I worry about with our current team and formation.

Think we'll struggle to create chances for studge/Suarez...

Clive

Ataturk said:
With Johnson coming back at wing back and Coutinho to come back (eventually) to replace Moses in the central position, I don't see any reason to change the 3-5-2.
Agree with this. No need for a change at the moment. The most important thing is playing Suarez and Sturridge as a front two, and we have a formation that accommodates this, so why tinker (particularly after an international break).

Suarez will surely be tired, but he's a machine and will surely start. Really looking forward to this, the two week break has been an eternity!

markwillo91

Suarez HAS to start regardless of how tired he is... He is a match winner that can produce at any moment so it's better to have him on the pitch rather than bring him on if we are having to chase the game.

Johnson tweeted that he is back training, whether he's ready for a full 90 minutes is a different question.

I agree with a comment above that if we keep things tight at the back and keep a clean sheet, we will win the game. Fancy a 1-0 win but to keep with the current theme a brilliant first half and a nervous last 20 minutes.

SirBillShankly

We live in a fallen world.
Thank God the break is over, back to the proper football.

Would like to see a repeat of last season's 6-0 spanking but think this will be a lot tougher this time around.Will have to deny space and time and also keep tight on the likes of Remy, Cabaye and Ben Arfa.

.........................................Mignolet........................
..........................Toure.......DAgger.......Sahko............
Johnson/Henderson.................................................Enrique
............................Gerrard.................Lucas........................
...................................Coutinho/Moses................................
......................Genius..........................................................
.........................................Sturridge....................................

Hopefully the captain, Genius and Lucas won't be too tired and we'll see Johnson and Coutinho back, we should have too much for the Geordies, away win, 2-1 to the Redmen.

lovepool

If Johnson is not ready I would play Kelly(if he is ready) at right wingback. We will be a little more solid defensively and Kelly is still decent going forwrd.

Remy also starts from the left for Newcastle and is their main goalscorer. He is playing like Henry did for Arsenal and wears the same 14 jersey and obviously models his game on him. I do not want to see our right sided CB left one on one with him too often as he has the pace to beat most defenders. Toure has been playing well and hopefully he keeps Remy quiet on Saturday

steve10

TIA New Signing
Will be interesting to see who starts with everyone fit. Not sure about Coutinhno but Johnson & Cissokho should start. Suarez, Lucas, Toure & Moses will all had long trips with the internationals so they might be a bit tired.

I would stick to the 3-5-2 formation

Mignolet
Toure Agger Sakho
Johnson Hendo Coutinhno/Lucas Gerrard Cissokho
Suarez Sturridge

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
WellRedKev said:
I would rest Suarez and play Moses up front with Sturridge. Suarez will be getting back very late for such an early kick off. We need to make sure we don't risk him when we need him for the bigger games in November / December. Off the bench if we're struggling.

Mignolet, Toure, Agger, Sahko, Enrique, Johnson, Lucas, Gerrard, Henderson, Moses, Sturridge.
Have to disagree with this , we need to keep taking it one game at a time and the next game as our most important, not looking to future games. Play our strongest team possible. Anyway Suarez doesn't get tired he's appetite to play means you'd have a jet lagged him over anyone else :)

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Difficult game, but we did well last year, coutinho ripped them apart. I hope he is fit because we need him, our mid has 0 creativity. If he plays we should win, if he doesnt well i would say a draw.

RJK

steve10 said:
Will be interesting to see who starts with everyone fit. Not sure about Coutinhno but Johnson & Cissokho should start. Suarez, Lucas, Toure & Moses will all had long trips with the internationals so they might be a bit tired.

I would stick to the 3-5-2 formation

Mignolet
Toure Agger Sakho
Johnson Hendo Coutinhno/Lucas Gerrard Cissokho
Suarez Sturridge
Albeit he looked good running out for the under 21's & the cup game till injured, what has Cissokho done to make you think he should tip Jose out????

Doggie

Resident Optimist
Exciting times.

If Rodgers truly has the whole squad to choose from then we have an awesome line up.

I have no worries about Suarez - he thrives on extra games, but Stevie G may well need a rest.

Main threat is Cabaye, close him down and they have no creativity. Job for Hendo I reckon.

Status
Not open for further replies.