• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Pre Match: Newcastle (a) Saturday, 12:45pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
RJK said:
Albeit he looked good running out for the under 21's & the cup game till injured, what has Cissokho done to make you think he should tip Jose out????
I too don't understand this, Enrique has been one of our main providers of assists...Cissokho deserves a shot but not sure away at Newcastle is the right opportunity.

bes

Hendo has earned his spot, can't stand the idea of him being dropped.

Mignolet
Toure Skrtel Sakho
Johnson Gerrard Lucas Enrique
Hendo
Suarez Sturridge

Sub Lucas off @ 70 minutes for Coutinho, put Hendo @ CM with Gerrard moved to DM Coutinho to CAM. If we're winning by 2 goals give people like Allen/Cissohko/Aspas time.

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
Speckydodge said:
Have to disagree with this , we need to keep taking it one game at a time and the next game as our most important, not looking to future games. Play our strongest team possible. Anyway Suarez doesn't get tired he's appetite to play means you'd have a jet lagged him over anyone else :)
that's fine but we need to be careful with out best player. One game at a time is one thing but you don't take risks when theres 30 odd games left. That's my point. I'm all on for taking it one game at a time but I don't wanna disregard that Suarez getting back late today and having a game early Saturday morning could be a threat.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
WellRedKev said:
that's fine but we need to be careful with out best player. One game at a time is one thing but you don't take risks when theres 30 odd games left. That's my point. I'm all on for taking it one game at a time but I don't wanna disregard that Suarez getting back late today and having a game early Saturday morning could be a threat.
There's the threat of him being tired alright and not 100% but you'd still have to play him. We have a tough away early fixture and we'll need to be at our best to win it but its an opportunity for us to put pressure on our rivals over the weekend. I think in BR mind if Suarez is available he plays.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
WellRedKev said:
Suarez feint and roll around when tackled means he knows how to get himself out of knocks. He also don't run on full speed sprints all the time. He doesn't get injured that easily and he also built like a tank if you looked at him. A jetlagged Suarez is much better than anyone else we have in our bucket.

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
Yeah I agree Suarez operating at 80 per cent is a better player than Aspas or the likes and Rodgers will most likely start him. I'm sure he will start but it does worry me a bit. Especially with the run of fixtures we have in the coming weeks. Moses and Sturridge up front didn't do too badly in Suarez' absence.

News Bot

I'm not a real person, I just add news!
Another unwelcome international break has passed and it is time to finally turn our attentions back to what matters most – Liverpool Football Club. Ben Twelves looks ahead to Saturday’s trip to Newcastle where Brendan Rodgers has the strongest squad of the season so far at his disposal. Liverpool go into the clash against Newcastle […]
The post How Brendan Rodgers Might Shape Liverpool For Newcastle Clash appeared first on Liverpool FC This Is Anfield.

View the full article

rupzzz

TIA Regular
I'd be surprised if we see a change from the 3-5-2 that BR has been utilising of late.

Great news that Coutinho is back in training, but I suspect it's too early for him yet. Toure's been on international duty so I feel it may be better to bring Agger back into the fold. Yes, Agger's been on international duty too, but he's had a good break and is likely to have recovered from travel better. I'd be surprised if Skrtel and Sakho don't start, so it's a decision between Agger and Toure. Agger for me for this match.

Lucas returns and think we'll see him straight back in alongside Gerrard. Henderson had a cracking game against the Toon last time round (6-0) and I'd like to see him play in that more forward position again, in behind SAS.

Personally I'd like to see Cissokho start this, but I can't see that happening. Enrique likely to feature, but happy to see whichever.

I'm really hoping Glenda is fit and ready for this. If he's not fit, then I suspect we'd see Henderson in at RWB and then Moses in behind SAS.

It's becoming a nice headache for BR with the return of so many player and the additons we've made. A bench with the likes of Moses, Allen, Coutinho etc is as good as I remember for a long time.

Draw your tactical diagram with this11.com

shootscore

Mignolet

Skrtel Toure Sakho

Johnson* Enrique

Gerrard Henderson

Coutinho*

Suarez* Sturridge

- on the condition certain players* are fit and ready. I'd like to see Allen on at some point. Maybe Kelly for Johnson too.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
I like that line up. Leaves us with a pretty good bench as well.

markwillo91

An interesting read and Brendan sure has a selection headache with the return to fitness of Johnson, Coutinho and Cissokho.
For me, I really hope he finds a formation that allows four at the back and the SAS up top as a 2. The reasons being the amount of space afforded to opposing teams in the final third against three at the back. This Liverpool side that kept three clean sheets on the bounce with 4 at the back looked resolute, but with three we have conceded in each of our last two games to arguably the two worst teams in the division.

Newcastle have decent attacking options at their disposal, and Ben Rafa getting in behind sterling or Enrique in the wing backs running through to the back three really scares me. It also doesn't help Brendan that we have no best 2 centre backs and they are all playing really well, leaving two of them harshly left on the bench, one to ponder.

rab

I think we should set up to attack and really take the game to them. With Coloccini out and Taylor likely to be missing as well they'll be weak in the middle of defence. With Gutierrez also out they'll be weaker down both wings if they play Ben Arfa one side and someone like Marveaux or Obertan in his place.

Agree with Mark above, i'd be worried about their attacking players getting in behind our wing backs so i'd be tempted to to play four at the back with Johnson coming straight back into the side. In midfield they have some ability and physicality in the form of Sissoko, Cabaye and Tiote so i'd definitely be having Henderson Gerrard and Lucas in there to try and assert some domination.

If all is going well then give some of the guys coming back from injury a run out and perhaps someone like Aspas to give Sturridge a break.

4-3-3. Mignolet, Johnson, Kolo, Sakho, Enrique. Lucas, Gerrard, Henderson. Moses, Sturridge, Suarez.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Just watched the presser with BR.

Coutinho not involved with team training yet so won't feature against Newcastle United.

Cissokho, Johnson and Allen all in the squad.

From the presser and BR's comments I'd be surpised if Johnson doesn't start. Hope Cissokho gets a start, but Jose might pip him too it with him know Newcastle well etc etc.

So I'll stick the the team layout I presented in my post a few up from here.

markwillo91

rab said:
I think we should set up to attack and really take the game to them. With Coloccini out and Taylor likely to be missing as well they'll be weak in the middle of defence. With Gutierrez also out they'll be weaker down both wings if they play Ben Arfa one side and someone like Marveaux or Obertan in his place.

Agree with Mark above, i'd be worried about their attacking players getting in behind our wing backs so i'd be tempted to to play four at the back with Johnson coming straight back into the side. In midfield they have some ability and physicality in the form of Sissoko, Cabaye and Tiote so i'd definitely be having Henderson Gerrard and Lucas in there to try and assert some domination.

If all is going well then give some of the guys coming back from injury a run out and perhaps someone like Aspas to give Sturridge a break.

4-3-3. Mignolet, Johnson, Kolo, Sakho, Enrique. Lucas, Gerrard, Henderson. Moses, Sturridge, Suarez.
How about the diamond that been discussed? Lucas in the quarterback role and
Coutinho/Moses in the hole behind the SAS?

rab

markwillo91 said:
How about the diamond that been discussed? Lucas in the quarterback role and
Coutinho/Moses in the hole behind the SAS?
Coutinho is not going to be featuring and I don't like Moses in an attacking midfield role. Always felt a diamond set up struggles to dominate midfield particularly if you play against a side who has three in there. If you're wider midfield players tuck into the middle to defend they can overload you out wide. Fine if you have an athletic defensive midfielder who can track out and help but that isn't Lucas. Also if you play Lucas furthest back and Countinho/Moses further forward you're pushing Gerrard to play wider and that's not a great use of his ability.

Think we need Hendo in the middle to harry and close down Cabaye and stop him having time and space to dictate play. If you can do that then all you've got to worry about is Remy getting on to stuff over the top or Ben Arfa having one of those games where he really turns on the style.

RedmondLFC

TIA Youth Team
Has anyone watched the Brandan's press conference? The sound goes out for the few seconds he speaks about Coutinho's injury status. Thought it was just a blip in my internet, but it kept happening (at the 3:03 mark). Wonder if that was intentional.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin

Jones, Kelly, Agger, Skrtel, Allen, Sterling, Alberto,

That's my team. I only see the 352 experiment as a temporary one to cope with injury. Now Johnson is back I'd like us to revert to a back four, and the 433 that suits the team.

lovepool

Mascot Brendan has said he doesn't think Suarez is as effective starting wide and wants him up front. We either stick with the 3412 or tweak your formation. Pull Henderson a little deeper and put Moses behind the front 2.

Hopefully we win whatever formation we use

R

RedRiot

Diamond with Alberto, rather than Moses, at the tip. Would like to see Cissokho instead of Enrique, but unlikely to happen. Also, I don't really imagine Alberto will start, but that's a preference with a minimal potential of happening, whereas Enrique will likely keep his place for this week at least.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
lovepool said:
Mascot Brendan has said he doesn't think Suarez is as effective starting wide and wants him up front. We either stick with the 3412 or tweak your formation. Pull Henderson a little deeper and put Moses behind the front 2.

Hopefully we win whatever formation we use
He's not starting that wide! He's only slightly to the right of Sturridge - it's not like he's going to be hugging the touchline

lovepool

Mascot88 said:
He's not starting that wide! He's only slightly to the right of Sturridge - it's not like he's going to be hugging the touchline
When he is in wide(even slightly!!) he has to tack back and help the fullback. This limits his effectiveness as Suarez is at his best in the final third. I can see us defending deep and relying on the SAS to nick couple goals on the counter

slufsar

not optimistic. newcastles players have had a rest, while ours will be knackered. they got a superior midfield aswell, so they'll be controlling most of the game.

with the current hype around the club, especially the talk of the title, everything points towards a "shock defeat".

already given up on this one. roll on wba.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
lovepool said:
When he is in wide(even slightly!!) he has to tack back and help the fullback. This limits his effectiveness as Suarez is at his best in the final third. I can see us defending deep and relying on the SAS to nick couple goals on the counter
In a 433 though you've got an extra man in midfield to cover the FB, and really the DM should be ready to drop back to allow a CB to step across.

Really though, it doesn't matter where you start Suarez - he isn't going to stay in one place. He's going to pop up all over the place.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
slufsar said:
not optimistic. newcastles players have had a rest, while ours will be knackered. they got a superior midfield aswell, so they'll be controlling most of the game.with the current hype around the club, especially the talk of the title, everything points towards a "shock defeat".already given up on this one. roll on wba.
And we wait with baited breath for your contribution to that pre-match.

slufsar

Mascot88 said:
And we wait with baited breath for your contribution to that pre-match.
i am always negative (because i'm a skinny and depressed middle class teenager), but i rarely predicts us to lose. southampton is the only time previously this season. so maybe i'll be an oracle this season. i also predicted us to lose 2-0 to wba at home last season, to a set piece and a lukaku counter, but thats about the only time i was right last season, so dont you worry, mascot.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
I got a co worker that's a newcastle fan, he already ruled out any chance of them to win, but he feels like that everytime we meet, that 4-3 win have scar him for life :D

It's gonna be interesting how Rodgers will set up the team.

I like to see us field the same team as last game, but obvious with Johnson instead of Sterling. And Agger for Skrtel. I would also keep Coutinho on the bench, so we have a game changer to put on if needed, otherwise give him half hour just for him to find his feet again.

Mignolet

Toure - Sakho - Agger

Johnson Enrique

Gerrard - Henderson

Moses

Suarez - Sturridge

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
slufsar said:
i am always negative (because i'm a skinny and depressed middle class teenager), but i rarely predicts us to lose. southampton is the only time previously this season. so maybe i'll be an oracle this season. i also predicted us to lose 2-0 to wba at home last season, to a set piece and a lukaku counter, but thats about the only time i was right last season, so dont you worry, mascot.
I find it a bit sad that you can write off our chances when Newcastle are in poor form, and we smashed them 6-0 in this fixture last year.

I know it's a banana skin, but it's hardly a match we're nailed on to lose.

slufsar

Mascot88 said:
I find it a bit sad that you can write off our chances when Newcastle are in poor form, and we smashed them 6-0 in this fixture last year.

I know it's a banana skin, but it's hardly a match we're nailed on to lose.
poor form? they're just inconsistent. 10 points at this stage is pretty good for a club their level. they're top 10 clubs in the league, and they're at their best when they're the outsiders at home fighting with their back against the wall. last season their defence was a shambles, so we got a lot of clear cut chances. we were very effective. it will be much harder this season

lovepool

slufsar said:
poor form? they're just inconsistent. 10 points at this stage is pretty good for a club their level. they're top 10 clubs in the league, and they're at their best when they're the outsiders at home fighting with their back against the wall. last season their defence was a shambles, so we got a lot of clear cut chances. we were very effective. it will be much harder this season
You are not exactly Churchill like mate!! Lets hope Rodgers gives the boys more belief before going to battle!!

slufsar

lovepool said:
You are not exactly Churchill like mate!! Lets hope Rodgers gives the boys more belief before going to battle!!
poor at rhetorics? or because im pessimistic?

Status
Not open for further replies.