• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Pre Match: Newcastle (a) Saturday, 12:45pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
slufsar said:
not optimistic. newcastles players have had a rest, while ours will be knackered. they got a superior midfield aswell, so they'll be controlling most of the game.

with the current hype around the club, especially the talk of the title, everything points towards a "shock defeat".

already given up on this one. roll on wba.
Mate, drink, take tablets, source holistic therapy or sniff laughing gas. The future's bright, really it is :)

bes

Their defence is still in shambles. Colloccini/Guiterez are out apparently

lovepool

slufsar said:
poor at rhetorics? or because im pessimistic?
Yeah both. We all go through phases though

Enjoy us playing good football and going into matches expecting to win. We have had a few lean years to say the least so appreciate our improvement this season. Suarez Coutinho Sturridge Gerrard Sakho Toure etc are all excellent players and we are s team to be feared again

Just be imagine how bad it would be to bea Newcastle fan fearing another demolition! !

Bobbinho

I trust that BR will already know who he will start for this game, i don't buy into any of the negativity re tiredness from intl's, Gerrard i think will be ready to play, not sure about Suarez but im sure if he wants to play & say's he's fit to play, BR will start him.

Im not expecting any big changes, it will be interesting to see if we stick with Hendo & Gerrard, also interesting if we stick with the same formation, we should have a stronger looking bench which can only be a positive, our winning momentum & league position are also a positive, therefore im looking forward to this game, every league game will be tough but at the same time, winnable.

Delusional geordie

TIA Youth Team
slufsar said:
not optimistic. newcastles players have had a rest, while ours will be knackered. they got a superior midfield aswell, so they'll be controlling most of the game.with the current hype around the club, especially the talk of the title, everything points towards a "shock defeat".already given up on this one. roll on wba.
ahem...some of the team do venture further than the Bigg Market on international days;Krul,Cabaye,Debuchy,Sissoko,Remy,Coloccini,Tiote, Cisse & even dear old Shola have all been away.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
markwillo91 said:
How about the diamond that been discussed? Lucas in the quarterback role and
Coutinho/Moses in the hole behind the SAS?
As I recall quarterback in NFL/American Football pulls the strings in offence play. Dictate the tempo and spraying passes. Don't think Lucas could do that all on his own, no matter how weak the opponent is.

Moses cannot play I'm the hole between two forwards. You need player with creativity, vision and intelligence. Moses is not suited there and Coutinho should not be rushed back, there are still 31 games to go.

Play the same lineup as we played last game and the game before. Worked so far for us, should not tinker and ease the injured players back into the side instead of starting them and rush them back.

Doggie

Resident Optimist
I'm sure Rodgers will return to his favoured 4-2-3-1 if Johnson is fit, which I think would be a good approach to stop Cabaye.

I think he will start Gerrard too - perhaps replacing with Allen later in the match.

Mrs Doggie (Newcastle supporter) has chosen to disappear for the day, perhaps recalling last season's result lol

Newcastle 1 Liverpool 2.

lovepool

lfc.eddie said:
As I recall quarterback in NFL/American Football pulls the strings in offence play. Dictate the tempo and spraying passes. Don't think Lucas could do that all on his own, no matter how weak the opponent is.
Moses cannot play I'm the hole between two forwards. You need player with creativity, vision and intelligence. Moses is not suited there and Coutinho should not be rushed back, there are still 31 games to go.
Play the same lineup as we played last game and the game before. Worked so far for us, should not tinker and ease the injured players back into the side instead of starting them and rush them back.
Eddie, Sterling started the last game as right wingback are you happy with this away to Newcastle?

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Could be quite an odd game, I can see them dominating us in midfield, but with our forward play and their defensive weakness/injuries it is likely to be a very open game.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
lovepool said:
Eddie, Sterling started the last game as right wingback are you happy with this away to Newcastle?
We won didn't we? Why change formation for the sake of it, and why rush a player back in after a lengthy spell in physio treatment table when we don't really have to? Coutinho may have been back in training and so is Johnson, we can always put them in as second half sub if things don't work out. We normally score in the first half anyway.

So my happiness is not a priority, team winning the match and gain 3 points is far more important.

lovepool

Newcastle's strength is on the left side with Remy. I would put any of Johnson or Kelly as right wingback as Sterling is not a good defender. Lucas alongside Gerrard with Henderson taking Moses place

If Johnson or Kelly are not match fit then I expect to see Lucas in the team allowing Henderson to switch to right wingback

Kopstar

★★★★★★
There's some element of guesswork here (particularly with how Newcastle line up because I haven't seen much of them this season) but here are what I think will be the relevant match-ups (or at least how I would go).

There is a temptation to put Moses in Cissokho's position to really give Debuchy a hard time but I've erred on the side of caution. I really don't think we'll get over-run in midfield because the danger they have is that they don't want to leave Williamson or Coloccini with one-on-ones against Suarez and Sturridge. Also, Tiote's not good enough to marshall Coutinho on his own so that leaves them considerably exposed at the back. As a result they will need more help from their midfield thus allowing Gerrard and Henderson more time and space.

My concern is Sissoko getting beyond Gerrard and creating an extra man against our back three. I've gone for Henderson in beside Gerrard as he's got greater athleticism and pace to ensure that if a man gets passed him he's able to get back goal side quicker and more effectively than Lucas/Gerrard.

We've got fantastic options off the bench though (assuming everyone's fit) and the above line up is incredibly amenable to tactical switches in game.

The one caveat is that last year we hammered them 6-0 but this year we don't have Downing...

RedSeven

On the one road
Mignolet
Toure - Agger- Sakho
Johnson Enrique
Lucas
Gerrard - Henderson

Suarez - Sturridge

I think this may be our best team to go with this weekend.We need the extra bit of energy in midfield if we are to get a win from this.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Delusional geordie said:
ahem...some of the team do venture further than the Bigg Market on international days;Krul,Cabaye,Debuchy,Sissoko,Remy,Coloccini,Tiote, Cisse & even dear old Shola have all been away.
Welcome DG. Has Kinnear learnt that 'Kebab' is the preferred culinary choice of the Friday night revellers in the Bigg Market and not the name of your French international midfielder yet?

We'll play in the same way as we did against Palace. It's in our interests for it to be an open game. You'll score, but I reckon we'll outscore you.

markwillo91

Kopstar said:
There's some element of guesswork here (particularly with how Newcastle line up because I haven't seen much of them this season) but here are what I think will be the relevant match-ups (or at least how I would go).

There is a temptation to put Moses in Cissokho's position to really give Debuchy a hard time but I've erred on the side of caution. I really don't think we'll get over-run in midfield because the danger they have is that they don't want to leave Williamson or Coloccini with one-on-ones against Suarez and Sturridge. Also, Tiote's not good enough to marshall Coutinho on his own so that leaves them considerably exposed at the back. As a result they will need more help from their midfield thus allowing Gerrard and Henderson more time and space.

My concern is Sissoko getting beyond Gerrard and creating an extra man against our back three. I've gone for Henderson in beside Gerrard as he's got greater athleticism and pace to ensure that if a man gets passed him he's able to get back goal side quicker and more effectively than Lucas/Gerrard.

We've got fantastic options off the bench though (assuming everyone's fit) and the above line up is incredibly amenable to tactical switches in game.

The one caveat is that last year we hammered them 6-0 but this year we don't have Downing...
Are you suggesting that you want us to line up like that constantly have 3 on 3 at the back?
There's also absolutely no way Newcastle won't go with Ben arfa unless he's injured, in which case apologies for bringing it up

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
markwillo91 said:
Are you suggesting that you want us to line up like that constantly have 3 on 3 at the back?
There's also absolutely no way Newcastle won't go with Ben arfa unless he's injured, in which case apologies for bringing it up
Johnson and whoever starts at LWB will be expected to do some defending.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
markwillo91 said:
In practice, of course, formations and match-ups change depending on which team is in possession. What I was simply trying to demonstrate is the way (I think) each team will attempt to deploy their personnel assuming they're in possession.

In reality, were Newcastle to be in possession coutinho would be more withdrawn creating a five man midfield. If the attack was down the wide areas you would see Johnson or Cissokho drop back to form a back four with the three CBs; the midfield would then also become a four with players moving over to accommodate the new defensive shape.

As for Ben Arfa - you're right, certain starter if he's fit (I imagine in place of Gouffran). Don't know about his fitness though - is he good to go?

markwillo91

a

Kopstar said:
In practice, of course, formations and match-ups change depending on which team is in possession. What I was simply trying to demonstrate is the way (I think) each team will attempt to deploy their personnel assuming they're in possession.

In reality, were Newcastle to be in possession coutinho would be more withdrawn creating a five man midfield. If the attack was down the wide areas you would see Johnson or Cissokho drop back to form a back four with the three CBs; the midfield would then also become a four with players moving over to accommodate the new defensive shape.

As for Ben Arfa - you're right, certain starter if he's fit (I imagine in place of Gouffran). Don't know about his fitness though - is he good to go?
DeathOrGlory said:
Johnson and whoever starts at LWB will be expected to do some defending.
I understand, do you both want us to play with three central defenders tomorrow? Just having watched us play with three at the back against Palace the space generated between defence and midfield was horrifying, doe not instill any confidence that we can be resolute and strong defensively.

What I've heard and read Coutinho hasn't traveled as he has only just returned to training and the game has come a bit too quick for him.

The BBC Sport Preview sheds no light on any reasons as to why Ben Arfa can't play, so I think we must assume that he will, and IMO he will have a field day if he is able to get in behind the wing backs and run at the 'back 3'.

Delusional geordie

TIA Youth Team
Billy Biskix said:
Welcome DG. Has Kinnear learnt that 'Kebab' is the preferred culinary choice of the Friday night revellers in the Bigg Market and not the name of your French international midfielder yet?

We'll play in the same way as we did against Palace. It's in our interests for it to be an open game. You'll score, but I reckon we'll outscore you.
Kinnear probably won't be back until January. His sole brief seems to be to ensure we don't buy anyone so Ashley doesn't have to fork out. By January he will have forgotten the players names again and will no doubt insult more so they all want to go.

As for tomorrow: doesn't bode well. Colo probably out but he is pretty useless against Suarez so might be a benefit. Mbiwa might come in. He is an enigma either plays as he is at Barcelona or more often than not as if he is playing for Gateshead. The thought of Sturridge and Suarez against any of our defence is not something I want to dwell on. Conversely if our offensive line as our yank friends might say is on song they can be a bit lively. Cabaye seems to be hitting form after his sulk and Benny is due a good game. Cisse sporadically is beginning to at least score if not really finding his touch. Tiote also seems to refinding a little of his form of two years ago but it is still a bit heart in mouth a) when he thinks he is Pele on the 18 yard line or B) he decides to launch himself at someone from 10 yards away. All in all not too hopeful but think it won't be as many as 6. Oh and hope Henderson falls flat on his face a few times.

SirBillShankly

We live in a fallen world.
RedSeven said:
Mignolet
Toure - Agger- Sakho
Johnson Enrique
Lucas
Gerrard - Henderson

Suarez - Sturridge

I think this may be our best team to go with this weekend.We need the extra bit of energy in midfield if we are to get a win from this.
Great team that, if Johnson returns then it will be a big boost and Hendo's drive and energy in the centre instead of Moses will help to stifle Cabaye. That team is the one i want to see.

markwillo91

RedSeven said:
Mignolet
Toure - Agger- Sakho
Johnson Enrique
Lucas
Gerrard - Henderson

Suarez - Sturridge

SirBillShankly said:
Great team that, if Johnson returns then it will be a big boost and Hendo's drive and energy in the centre instead of Moses will help to stifle Cabaye. That team is the one i want to see.
Do you not think that's a bit negative? with Lucas in the DM role thats 7 defensive minded players out of the 11?

SirBillShankly

We live in a fallen world.
markwillo91 said:
Do you not think that's a bit negative? with Lucas in the DM role thats 7 defensive minded players out of the 11?
Not at all. A 3-5-2 is quite attacking i think, both full backs pushing on, Suarez and Sturridge have a habit of hitting the back of the net and there are goals in Henderson and the captain. Don't want us getting over-run in midfield, Sissoko and Cabaye are a bit tasty, an extra body in there should stop that happening.

RedSeven

On the one road
markwillo91 said:
I'm no expert but imo 3 at the back with 2 wingbacks is designed to encourage Johnson and Enrique to get forward.Agger can carry the ball forward as well so 3 of the 5 defenders like to push on up the field(ie attack).Lucas can either move further up the pitch with Danny taking up the DM position during attacks or hold his position allowing Danny to continue upfield.At all times you are left with 2 CBs and another player in the DM position.While we are on the offensive that means only 2-3 of the 10 won't be involved in some way in attacking their goal.That doesn't necessarily mean they will all be in Newcastles box but should encourage most of our players to get further forward when needed.

markwillo91

RedSeven said:
I'm no expert but imo 3 at the back with 2 wingbacks is designed to encourage Johnson and Enrique to get forward.Agger can carry the ball forward as well so 3 of the 5 defenders like to push on up the field(ie attack).Lucas can either move further up the pitch with Danny taking up the DM position during attacks or hold his position allowing Danny to continue upfield.At all times you are left with 2 CBs and another player in the DM position.While we are on the offensive that means only 2-3 of the 10 won't be involved in some way in attacking their goal.That doesn't necessarily mean they will all be in Newcastles box but should encourage most of our players to get further forward when needed.
I'm not suggesting that they can go forward and attack, I was just merely stating that there would be 7 defensive minded players on the pitch. Johnson and the other wing back would of course have to get forward for us to attack, but that would be a team that would intend not to lose rather than one to go out and win the game

REDSkins

TIA Youth Team
Newcastle are very vulnerable down the channels, thanks to Debuchy & Santon bombing forward and Ben Arfa + Remy not tracking back.

And we have two strikers that are brilliant at running those channels.

Johnson in for Sterling, Lucas back in. Instruct Henderson to track Sissoko.

We'd lose some creativity without Moses, but shouldn't need him. Some long passes from Stevie to our front duo should be enough.

Kolo Toure will be important, that back line needs to communicate & cover for each other. Cisse will create space for the wide men to cut in and shoot. Wonder if Agger might be a better (i.e. more mobile) choice at LCB?

lovepool

Redskins good post but Agger is in no way more mobile than Sakho. He could replace Skrtel to add mobility and ability in possession but it would be harsh to drop Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.