• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Pre-Match: Newcastle United vs. Liverpool (Saturday, 27 April 17:30)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OhYaBeauty

Let's start a Pre-Match thread to get our heads off the shit-show that is the rest of Liverpool Football club at the moment. I'd go with:

Reina​
Johnson Skrtel Agger Enrique​
Lucas Gerrard​
Henderson​
Downing Sturridge Coutinho​
With Shelvey, Coady, Sterling, Borini, Carra and Wisdom on the bench.

I'd like to see Skrtel given his second chance. There's a good chance we'll need him next season since Carra'll be leaving, so its important to find out whether or not he can respond well to his exile and make it here.

I'd like to see someone from Coady, Sterling, Borini, Wisdom, Shelvey or Suso given a chance, whether to start or to come on as a sub.

Matt

Poor Scouser Tommy
Admin
Id play Suarez, what the FA gonna do? We lose the match? It would be worth it just to piss them off further.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
Be a point deduction if we did that I reckon, be the last thing we need (I know it wasn't an entirely serious suggestion, though).

Chance for Sturridge to shine, this one think OYB's team will probably be the right one, although maybe Carra in for Skrtel. Just feel that bridge has been burned.

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
Its time to take some risk so I'd go with :

Reina​
Johnson. Skrtel Agger. Enrique​
Lucas. Gerrard​
Henderson​
Suso Sturridge. Coutinho​

I think Skrtel deserves a chance to redeem himself at some point before the end of the season so I'd give him this game. I'm sick of seeing the useless duo of Henderson and Downing playing together so I'd drop Downing for Suso and I'd have Borini on the bench and if he isn't ready yet then Sinclair as we need another striker on the bench as without Luis we're left with just Sturridge.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Reina​
Johnson Carragher Agger Enrique​
Lucas Gerrard​
Downing *Henderson *Coutinho​
Sturridge​
Subs: Jones, Skrtel, Wisdom, Coady, Shelvey, Suso, Borini.​
Jordan and Coutinho to switch sides especially if Jordan doesn't show signs of improvement on his Chelsea (first half) performance, Shelvey being an option as well, especially now with Sturridge up front we should be looking to play him into spaces (Yanga Mbiwa's positioning particularly looked poor in some of their recent games).

thefirestarta

#WeComeToNotPlay
I'd like to see Rodgers use the remaining games to experiment with some different formations and personel (what do we have to lose). For a start, I would love to see Coutinho play behind Sturridge, maybe stick Enrique on the left wing, bring Johnson in at left back, bring Wisdom back in Right Back.

Daniel I think may benefit from being the main man up front in Luis absence. Hopefully some youngsters will be blooded too in the last 4 matches.

Basically, we're now in pre-season. How sad this is.

RedLaw

JFT96
Reina​
Johnson Carra Agger Enrique​
Henderson Lucas​
Downing Gerrard Coutinho​
Sturridge​

Would like to see Gerrard move further forward because 1) without Suarez we're in dire need of a real attacking powerhouse 2) I'm not really convinced about Henderson as a number 10 and it would be nice to see him play deeper to give Lucas some much needed support and 3) with Gerrard slightly injured it's probably wiser to give him a more free role in the side.

Speaking of which, I find it incredible beyond belief that the club have absolutely no problem in making information about our players injuries public knowledge. Can't think of a more damaging way to help your opponent's prepare for a game.

darren kelly

"Luisito Estamos Con Vos"
I assume Gerrard is out due to his shoulder problem and Luis is gone and Sterling is tired so my team is.And I never want to see Downing sleeping on the job in a red shirt again sell him.

Reina
Carra the Sweeper

Johnson Skrtle Agger Enrique

Henderson Lucas
Assaidi Coutinho
Sturridge

OhYaBeauty

Lucas or Allen said:
I assume Gerrard is out due to his shoulder problem and Luis is gone and Sterling is tired so my team is.And I never want to see Downing sleeping on the job in a red shirt again sell him.

Reina
Carra the Sweeper

Johnson Skrtle Skrtel Agger Enrique

Henderson Lucas
Assaidi Coutinho
Sturridge
Yeah he was rubbish in last week's game. Did you see that horrible miscue where he backheel-volleyed a long aerial pass right into Suarez' path before Sturridge equalized? That was truly awful.

He's been shit for us ever since January, and definitely shouldn't play ahead of the clearly class Assaidi.

noodle

TIA New Signing
I'd drop gerrard due to his injury... its not worth risking. I seem to remember us continuously using allen even though he was injured and his form suffered because of it.

Sturridge up front. He cannot just perform against chelsea, he HAS to perform against every club he faces... trouble with daniel, i feel, is that he thinks way too much of himself... but what has he actually achieved? its time for him to deliver.

coutinho needs to play behind sturridge. No good having a gifted play maker being stuck out on the wing to rot. Stupid tactics.

I'd play a 4-4-1-1.... Lucas & hendo in the middle, coutinho behind sturridge. Downing on the LEFT wing due to him being LEFT footed and reasonably quick, and Assaidi on the RIGHT wing, due to him being RIGHT footed and reasonably quick.

Plenty of ankle snapping in the center circle, plenty of direct running down the wings.... and plenty of creativity and speed up front.

in defence, it will be the same old same old.... Skrtel in the stands due to his lack of positional awareness. I would also get rid of zonal bullshit marking.... the ammount of goals we concede from set plays is getting silly now.

if all else fails... throw on all of the kids at half time.... at least they have the hunger to impress.

one can only hope.......

OhYaBeauty

noodle said:
in defence, it will be the same old same old.... Skrtel in the stands due to his lack of positional awareness. I would also get rid of zonal bullshit marking.... the ammount of goals we concede from set plays is getting silly now.
Erm... you do realize that its man-to-man marking that we currently do that is causing the concession of goals from set plays, right? Switching to zonal marking might alleviate it, though...

No Men in the Box Redux

Keyboard Warrior
I think the team pretty much picks itself. It would be good to get the youngsters some game time in the second half, but I don't believe they should be starting in an away game with tricky opponents. The only real question for me is whether or not Shelvey deserves a start. I think Hendo has been rather disappointing in the last two games in the AM position. We are definitely seeing more of his limits. He just isn't comfortable with the ball at his feet. And he doesn't have that creative spark or confidence to him either. In short, he doesn't provide us with enough of that cutting edge that we need to break through opponents. Should Rodgers persist with him though? Or will it be a good time now to give Shelvey a run out?

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
OhYaBeauty said:
Erm... you do realize that its man-to-man marking that we currently do that is causing the concession of goals from set plays, right? Switching to zonal marking might alleviate it, though...
I think you're right, I don't think we are using zonal marking, but I also don't think we are strictly on man-marking either. Most of our defence sits in the 6 yard line area while the midfield cover those roamers outside. I believe we are deploying a mixture of both.

Matt said:
Time to get Wisdom, Suso and Sterling more involved over these 4 remaining games.
Agreed. They haven't played for a while and given that there is pretty much nothing left to play for I really hope we give them some game time to increase their experience.

Personally that is probably the most I'm looking forward to with the 4 remaining games (besides winning the derby of course) and would also be happy to see the likes of Coady and Adorjan coming off from the bench.

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
Looking forward to the match, even though I will be sitting with a load of geordies. Should be a good game with a few goals.

darren kelly

"Luisito Estamos Con Vos"
OhYaBeauty said:
Yeah he was rubbish in last week's game. Did you see that horrible miscue where he backheel-volleyed a long aerial pass right into Suarez' path before Sturridge equalized? That was truly awful.

He's been shit for us ever since January, and definitely shouldn't play ahead of the clearly class Assaidi.
Are you saying Downing has been a great signing for Liverpool worth every penny?He has over all been a shite signing and I want him sold as he is a lazy player who cant cross the ball and has no concistency.
At least give Assaidi a chance and some other players.He looks more skillfull than Downing when he is on the pitch.

OhYaBeauty said:
Or the fact we have a small team.Coutinho,Sterling,Suarez,Allen,Enrique,Reina,Sturridge,Assaidi,Lucas are all hardly known for their heading power or jumping ability.Barcelona have the same issue.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
i_still_miss_fowler said:
Looking forward to the match, even though I will be sitting with a load of geordies. Should be a good game with a few goals.
You in the home end as well? Gutted that I couldn't get an away ticket for this one...Gallowgate End for me, sitting on my hands and keeping my mouth shut lol

Sturridge looked good against Chelsea, disappointed he didn't start really. He'll get his opportunities now Suarez has gone feral.

Think we should be able to win however I'm going for a draw - The Geordies greater desire to win will see them get a point I reckon

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
lfc.eddie said:
I think you're right, I don't think we are using zonal marking, but I also don't think we are strictly on man-marking either. Most of our defence sits in the 6 yard line area while the midfield cover those roamers outside. I believe we are deploying a mixture of both.
From the goals that we concede during freekicks and corners, to me it looks like we are following the 'I am not arsed to mark any one or jump above anyone' marking.

DEVGRU

Banned for the umpteenth time
I'd be surprised if we come away from this with anything more than 1 point.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
Have we got a game on Saturday then? Blow me, I'd quite forgotten. :shock:

therealkeano1

TIA Reserve Team
Would be nice to see suso or teixteira get a game at no 10 and keep the same team with Daniel coming in for saurez. We need to beat Newcastle to prove we aren't a one man team.

OhYaBeauty

therealkeano1 said:
Would be nice to see suso or teixteira get a game at no 10 and keep the same team with Daniel coming in for saurez. We need to beat Newcastle to prove we aren't a one man team.
Now that you bring that up, I would love to see Teixeira given a 10-15 minute cameo to reward his progress...

Lucas or Allen said:
Are you saying Downing has been a great signing for Liverpool worth every penny?He has over all been a shite signing and I want him sold as he is a lazy player who cant cross the ball and has no concistency.

At least give Assaidi a chance and some other players.He looks more skillfull than Downing when he is on the pitch.
Have you ever been on TIA before? I'm probably rougher on Downing than any other poster bar Rich. But I still don't spout ignorance like 'he was sleeping on the job and should be sold immediately' when he was actually working very hard and had a brilliant role in Sturridge's equalizer.

Do I want him sold in the summer? Yeah, I still do. But fact is he's our best option for the right forward slot right now. He's playing above average, which (though not Ous' fault) is far more than you can say for Assaidi at any point this season. Not to mention that Ous doesn't even play on the right, so that wouldn't work anyways...

Lucas or Allen said:
Or the fact we have a small team. Coutinho, Sterling, Suarez, Allen, Enrique, Reina, Sturridge, Assaidi, and Lucas are all hardly known for their heading power or jumping ability. Barcelona have the same issue.
We're not Barcelona. We're certainly not as small as they are. The problem is clearly marking. Jumping ability and heading ability come into play when we lose close battles for headers. But if you look at goals conceded this season from set plays, they haven't been from closely contested headers. They've been free headers. Oscar didn't outjump anyone yesterday. Terry had a free header in the reverse fixture. Kenwynne Jones had a free header when Stoke beat us. Giroud had an easy one, too. Its a marking problem when you give up free headers.

You know your argument is thin when you include three players who haven't been near the starting eleven in months. Allen, Sterling, and Assaidi don't play, so don't know why they're relevant to our team's defense of set plays. From those remaining, I strongly disagree with Reina, (who has proven to be a very adept keeper aerially in his time with us) Suarez (who is the same height as Oscar, who scored on us, and certainly better at heading), Sturridge (who has scored quite a few headed goals in his career), and Lucas (stats show he wins more aerial duels than most DMs in England). Enrique certainly isn't weak, either. But I'll give you Coutinho. When you put in the players you strategically left out in Gerrard, Carragher, Agger, Johnson, and Henderson you really see its got nothing to do with the personnel, its clearly a marking problem.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
therealkeano1 said:
If you take away the goals that our 'enfant terrible' has scored this season, it could be argued that we are.

I've said before that this present team is one - or at most two - injuries away (Suarez and Stevie) from being a very average outfit, but we seem to have been in that perilous condition for more years than I care to remember. Other clubs seem to be able to take the knocks when their best players are unavailable because they have either got strong squads (citeh, chavs, manure, spuds) or possess a great team ethic (bitters) but not us because we definitely haven't got the former and the latter is just wishful thinking I'm afraid.

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
Lucas wins most of his headers in midfield not defending set-pieces which doesn't make him good or bad at it. Gerrard isn't a great header and neither are Agger or Carragher plus Henderson is below average. Personal is a problem but coaching is the biggest problem we have.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
Reina​
Wisdom Skrtel Agger Johnson​
Lucas Gerrard​
Suso​
Sterling Sturridge Coutinho​
Subs: Jones, Skrtel, Coady, Downing, Assaidi, Enrique, Shelvey

Johnny T.

Still Grumpy....
Because I really want Downing and Shelvey sold this summer, I wouldn't play them again this season. Chances are other teams might have misty eyed memories of the one or two decent things they did in a red shirt so lets leave them with that.......

I think it's a good shout for Skrtel to play. I would play Enrique on the left mid, and Johnson behind. As suggested play Coutinho more central with Sturridge. I would go with Gerrard on the right, Licas and Hendo in the middle.

Nothing to lose, we will win

Status
Not open for further replies.