• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Pre Match Newcastle v Liverpool (EPL 04/05/19 KO 19:45)

donks

TIA First Team
It's not time to for fans or players to be feeling sorry for themselves, need to dust ourselves down and show a reaction Saturday night against Newcastle.

As much as I feel it's highly unlikely that we will win the league, I don't want to hand it on a plate to City. Let's win Saturday and keep the pressure on City and I guess you just never know in sport, stranger things have happened.

I hope we take our anger and frustration from last night out on Newcastle because this is not going to be an easy game and we will need to be on it to get a result.

Team wise I expect Trent and Bobby to return and Milner and Gomez to lose out.

RedForever2014

This will be a good test of our character and I fully expect a good response.

We need to make City win their last two matches, we don't want them winning the league the night before we face an uphill battle at home to Barce.

Beat Newcastle and let's see if Rodgers can conjure up something on Monday night. If he does we go into the Barce match buzzing, and can give everything with five days rest afterwards before Wolves.

We need to start TAA, who hopefully will react in the right way to missing out last night. We could go with Lovren alongside VVD to give Matip a rest, but I'd be inclined to start Matip given his form.

Hopefully Bobby can start. Midfield should be Fabinho, Hendo and Gini.

I was thinking earlier in the week that a thumping win combined with Leicester beating City, might swing goal difference our way enough to make even a draw on the last day a possible title winner.

But really we just need any win, ideally a comfortable one so the players can see it out without having to press forward with urgency in the final quarter.

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
It’s a must win game again.
But we have only won once in the last 6 visits to Newcastle. Plus it’s their last home game so they will want to go out with a bang. And they have Rafa.
This won’t be easy.

I’m still pissed about last night. Forget the score, it now means I don’t get to look forward to @Scott Jones in depth analysis for a while.

I’m going to go for a 2-1 win. But any win will do.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
Tough place to go, spirits likely dampened by the Barca result. Hopefully Klopp can inspire the troops. It certainly felt like an easier game 24 hours ago, but a lot can change in a day.

At least Newcastle are safe, and may already mentally be on the beach. We'll see.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Nah, I don't think Newcastle will take it lightly. They're well organized, we are one of the league's two best sides so that's a motivating factor. Rafa is a pro, they're quite good when they don't have that pressure, playing at home, positive results lately and goals scored. They will still keep their trusted system/way of playing of late. A number of them are maybe playing with their futures in mind, Rafa might not be there anymore soon, there could be a change, players could be offloaded or ask for a move. They did change one or two players in their last game though. Up to us to expect a bouncing St. James' Park, still a well organized deep block and to break it down. The next two games we absolutely have to win and both teams have decent or very good counter attacking. So need to be fully focused, patient, play with quality and end product needs to be seriously better than last night.

belldiouf

TIA New Signing
I am pretty deflated and just want the season to end now. However, I desperately hope we at least take City to the final weekend. I have a feeling Newcastle will do us 1-0, whilst Leicester whilst somehow hold City to a draw just to beat us into the ground that little bit more.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
It’s a must win game again.
But we have only won once in the last 6 visits to Newcastle. Plus it’s their last home game so they will want to go out with a bang. And they have Rafa.
This won’t be easy.

I’m still pissed about last night. Forget the score, it now means I don’t get to look forward to @Scott Jones in depth analysis for a while.

I’m going to go for a 2-1 win. But any win will do.
Jonesey been sacked as thread starter? I thought he showed decent form even if his performance last night was fucking abysmal. Even the best of us mess up every now and then.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Alisson
Trent Matip vDijk Robertson
Henderson Fabinho Wijnaldum
Salah Firmino Mane

Subs: Mignolet, Lovren, Gomez, Milner, Chamberlain, Shaqiri, Origi.​
I am presuming as well that Keita is out? Same team anyway, attack from the start and get the job done. Give Ox and Shaq minutes before Barca and see what we can do then.
Not easy but infinitley doable to get all 3 points on Sat.

Redopium

Matip can have a rest after his man of the match performance v Barca lovren can take his place, can't afford to rest anyone else, hope they come out and attack us and we can hit them on the counter and get a couple of goals and get a couple of changes on up front.

cynicaloldgit

Resident Misanthrope
Ad-free Member
I know that I have already posted in this thread* but it would be somewhat remiss of me to not say the following:

This is definitely our biggest game of the season so far; it’s a must-win game with the potential to be a real banana skin. Still, if we can’t beat this lot then we don’t deserve to win the League.

F*ck those fat, shirtless, shaven headed wankers.

Rafa: what have you done for us since Istanbul? Fuck all.

Roll over- it’s what you’d do against City.

* but I’ve been down the pub all day

jaffod

Could finish us this. Lads are bound to be down after last night and it remains to be seen how much it's taken out of us physically.

Trent back in at RB and Lovren for Matip. Hendo, Fab and Shaqiri in the middle. Think we'll need Shaqiri to open up a defensive Newcastle.

This is as 'must win' as it gets. If we do I honestly think City could fuck up on Monday. One last push Reds.

redaderry

No need to worry, Klopp will have the lads' heads sorted before playing the Toon.
I was in Carnlough today, homeplace of Saint Brendan. Up the east coast of NI, a lovely wee place. There was an air of expectancy there, people had a certain look on their faces, one that seemed to say that Brendan was going to help deliver the EPL title to Liverpool.
2 - Nil to the Redmen
2 - 1 to the Foxes

Barnestormer

Left wing.
Imagine feeling like we're almost dumped out the CL to only be handed the league this weekend. As much as Newcastle are in form so are Leicester. This is the big Kahuna. I think we will beat Newcastle, and Leicester will draw with City. If that turns out, its a whole other scenario for Barca. Belief is everything, even if in hindsight we fail, you simply cannot have a chance of winning without belief.

Might see a rest for Salah or Mane they ran their socks off in Catalonia. Maybe the Ox will start, Im sure Trent will. Milner ran his legs off last night too so no surprise if he rests up for Hendo-Fab-Gini in MF. Bobby back in false 9.

Darrel3000

Liverpool is my Religion
I hope we take our anger and frustration from last night out on Newcastle because this is not going to be an easy game and we will need to be on it to get a result.
Yeah I fully expect to see and angry mob out there going all out to destroy Newcastle, PLAYING LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL PLEASE HERR KLOPP, looking to put 5-8 pass them. that would ease my anger from yesterday's result

Ljc1109

Time to dig deep and show that mental strength that has gotten our team through so many matches this season. Forget about yesterday. Just go kick ass and let’s finish strong!!

Incognito

The Normal One
Jonesey been sacked as thread starter? I thought he showed decent form even if his performance last night was fucking abysmal. Even the best of us mess up every now and then.
The expectations from everyone here man, one game Scott doesn't perform and he's been knocked off. Feels like Chelsea lol

Here's hoping donks does justice to this opportunity or we'll start trending hashtag donks out :tongue: