Pre-Match: Paris Saint Germain v Liverpool (CL 28/11/2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter roberts

On the Celtic Ray
So , at the risk of becoming something of a pariah if we lose , I’ve decided to have a stab at opening my first pre-match thread. Living over here in France , it just seems somehow appropriate.

Ah Paris , the most hated team in the whole of France. A team built with only one real purpose , to glorify their owners and lend a kind of veneer of respectability to a country struggling with an image problem. Think what’s happened at City is bad enough ? Think again , this lot make the Arabs who run City look like saints. At least at City there is a football plan and investment in the city. At Parc des Princes , the ‘plan’ is to spend as much as possible on the most high-profile and marketable players (all forwards ) in the hope that success will follow. Unsurprisingly , it hasn’t. (I’m not counting the year on year procession to the Ligue 1 title as success.) In Europe time and again they have come up short. Still , I suppose we should be thankful to them for blowing up the transfer market when they signed Neymar. That in turn , led to the exorbitant fee we demanded for Coutinho , which allowed us to bring Van Dijk and Alisson to Anfield , the two players you would most want to have in your team for a tie like this.

So to Wednesday night and the game itself. I’ve been going through all the permutations of what might happen but there’s just too many ifs and buts involved. Simply , if we win we are as good as in the last 16. That’s all you need to know and I imagine that’s what Jurgen has stressed to the players. No need to go gung-ho , just play the way we have been playing , controlled patient football , and rely on Virgil and co to keep them out at the back while we take our chances when they come.

As they say in Paris (and Liverpool) , Allez Allez Allez.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
Any clue yet whether Mbappe and Neymar will be available or not?

Rambler

Bootle Boy
We have lost our last 4 games away from Anfield in this competition and conceded 10 goals....... in complete contrast to our league form. The reasons need to be addressed before Wednesday or we could make an early exit. No-one wants Thursday night Europa League football. That should be motivation enough.

Last edited:

GermanRed

Thanks for starting the thread and good luck @peter roberts

- Liverpool beat PSG and Liverpool are through.

- Draw against PSG and Liverpool need to beat Napoli at Anfield.

- Lose against PSG and Liverpool need to beat Napoli by 2 goals at Anfield.

Alisson
TAA Lovren VvD Robertson
Wijnaldum Henderson Milner
Salah Firmino Mané

- Hope Gomez is not injured and was just rested for Paris. Would start him ahead of TAA or Lovren - don’t care who tbh.

- We need 3 in midfield to shield our back from their attack. I would opt for that old school 16/17 midfield in personnel and hopefully also in performance.

- I'm sure Neymar and Mbappe will play but especially Mbappe (anyone who had a small shoulder injury will know that it hurts like hell and needs time to recover) will have some pain killers before the game. Don’t think any of them both will be at 100. So Andy Robertson if you’re reading this - one bodycheck with british intensity at the start of the match and Mbappe won’t be a problem.

Seriously, I hope both of them are at their best as we are the kind of team that plays better the stronger the opponent is.

peter roberts

On the Celtic Ray
Think we went with Gini, Hendo, and Milner for that reason in the first match. Wouldn’t be surprised if we do so again.
Yeah , agree with that. If I remember rightly Veratti wasn't available for them at Anfield. Expect both him and Rabiot to start on Wednesday , two very good players. Get Gini and Miller to stamp on them two (figuratively speaking of course) and we're halfway there.

Even if they're not fully fit , I can't see them leaving out either Neymar or Mbappe. Our full backs are going to be busy. I wonder if Lovren keeps his place and Joe moves across again ?

rupzzz

TIA Regular
I've spotted that we will be playing in our home strip on Weds because PSG have opted to play in their away strips.

Suspect there's some superstitions going on by PSG. Do they have a bad record in the CL in their home strip?

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/326974-liverpool-home-kit-paris-saint-germain

On the game itself - I'm really not sure on what to expect. I hope we return to our 4-3-3 and look for the counter attacking goals, as PSG will surely look to outscore us, so sitting deep won't help.

I'd go with Allison, Trent, Gomez, Virgil, Robbo, Fabinho, Gini, Milner, Mane, Bobby and Mo.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Maybe they want to play in their Jordan kits in Europe more often, don't know if it's only in black or also in white.

Alright Now

I've spotted that we will be playing in our home strip on Weds because PSG have opted to play in their away strips.

Suspect there's some superstitions going on by PSG. Do they have a bad record in the CL in their home strip?

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/326974-liverpool-home-kit-paris-saint-germain

On the game itself - I'm really not sure on what to expect. I hope we return to our 4-3-3 and look for the counter attacking goals, as PSG will surely look to outscore us, so sitting deep won't help.

I'd go with Allison, Trent, Gomez, Virgil, Robbo, Fabinho, Gini, Milner, Mane, Bobby and Mo.
Let’s shock them with our citrus kits.

Alright Now

Yeah , agree with that. If I remember rightly Veratti wasn't available for them at Anfield. Expect both him and Rabiot to start on Wednesday , two very good players. Get Gini and Miller to stamp on them two (figuratively speaking of course) and we're halfway there.

Even if they're not fully fit , I can't see them leaving out either Neymar or Mbappe. Our full backs are going to be busy. I wonder if Lovren keeps his place and Joe moves across again ?
Oh, wow. I had forgotten about Veratti’s absence. Thanks for the reminder.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Think we went with Gini, Hendo, and Milner for that reason in the first match. Wouldn’t be surprised if we do so again.
That doesn't quite convince me, especially because as others have pointed out, Veratti is a step up. The most important part of our midfield might end up being Firmino, we really need one of those astonishingly versatile performances he has in him where he is able to control the 20 x 30 box in front of the opponents penalty area.

Redopium

Same 11 that dominated them at Anfield I would think Mr Klopp will pick unless some are not fit enough.

Alright Now

That doesn't quite convince me, especially because as others have pointed out, Veratti is a step up. The most important part of our midfield might end up being Firmino, we really need one of those astonishingly versatile performances he has in him where he is able to control the 20 x 30 box in front of the opponents penalty area.
Agree. As I mentioned above, @peter roberts reminded me Veratti did not play that first match. I do think that means we see Bobby in a deeper than the false 9 role.

Herb

Firmino left, Salah through the middle and Shaqiri right then? Don’t think we’ve seen Shaq in the forward line as such yet but I’m not sure what other option we have unless we try something daft with Lallana again.

GermanRed

Firmino left, Salah through the middle and Shaqiri right then? Don’t think we’ve seen Shaq in the forward line as such yet but I’m not sure what other option we have unless we try something daft with Lallana again.
- first of all we don’t know if Mané won’t play. He didn’t train because of illness but we still have two days.

- Shaqiri played LW for us twice I think coming from the bench. Not his best position I guess. Bringing in back up for Mané should be a priority next summer.

- Klopp said we played with a diamond already this season (and nobody recognized it) and if Mané misses out a 4-4-2 diamond could be an option with Shaqiri centrally behind Salah and Firmino.

FilthyBloke

Should be an exciting game. Not really a must win but a win would at least take some pressure off us going into the final group game.

Veratti, buffon and dani Alves were unavailable. But yeah Veratti's absence hurt them most.

PS - hope you said your prayers before opening the thread mate.

PS2 - we are in poor state in CL right? What do we need. Away draw against PSG and home win against Napoli will suffice? Or we need 2 wins?

Seems an away draw against PSG and home win against Napoli will be sufficient - but playing for away draw is where we went wrong on both our losses. So hopefully we go for the win this time. It will also serve as a reminder to the world that we mean business this season.

Dane

Willing to drive Matip to the airport
Thanks for starting the thread and good luck @peter roberts

- Liverpool beat PSG and Liverpool are through.

- Draw against PSG and Liverpool need to beat Napoli at Anfield.

- Lose against PSG and Liverpool need to beat Napoli by 2 goals at Anfield.
Only on the assumption that Napoli do not lose against Red Star.

We have lost our last 4 games away from Anfield in this competition and conceded 10 goals....... in complete contrast to our league form. The reasons need to be addressed before Wednesday or we could make an early exit. No-one wants Thursday night Europa League football. That should be motivation enough.
I'd rather we finished 4th in the group.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
What about Salah on the right, Bobby on the left and Sturridge up front? Or swap Bobby up front and Sturridge on the left?

We do have options that mean we don't need to go too risky like using Lallana again.

I can see Klopp making the midfield more defensive. I expect to see both Hendo, who is unavailable for the weekend, and Fabinho, returning to France, starting alongside one of Milner or Gini. This means no start for Shaqiri and the team going back to 4-3-3.

Red over the water

I think Henderson will play for sure, as he’s out of the derby. Beyond that I’m not sure what the midfield permutation will be. I can make a case for all of them. My guess is Henderson, Fabinho and Keita to play against PSG, with Milner and Wijnaldum saved for the derby.

redaderry

This one's all about controlling Mbappe and Neymar (if they both play). Other than that, there's no reason why we won't win this.
3 - 1 to the Redmen.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
If Mane isn't fit then we have to find some way of getting Shaqiri in the team. Think Sturridge might still be in the doghouse after his Red Star performance. The midfield will surely be Gini/Henderson/Milner, same as at Anfield. They were brilliant in that game and we'll need our best pressers on the pitch. Lallana is injured, Keita hasn't played for weeks and I'm not sure JK fully trusts Fabinho yet. PSG have some great individuals but their style suits us and we have a real chance here.

Not making the knock outs will be a setback, probably the first real one that Klopp has had since he's been manager. So far he's either met or exceeded just about every reasonable expectation. Tough group but we've made things difficult for ourselves with two piss poor away perfomances so far. JK didn't cover himself in glory tactically in either of those games and we were collectively half asleep against Red Star. Wretched stuff. Even so, despite this we could put it all to bed and qualify a game early by beating PSG tomorrow. We are lucky to still have it in our own hands and should be really up for this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.