• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Pre-Match: Paris Saint Germain v Liverpool (CL 28/11/2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
If Mane isn't fit then we have to find some way of getting Shaqiri in the team. Think Sturridge might still be in the doghouse after his Red Star performance. The midfield will surely be Gini/Henderson/Milner, same as at Anfield. They were brilliant in that game and we'll need our best pressers on the pitch. Lallana is injured, Keita hasn't played for weeks and I'm not sure JK fully trusts Fabinho yet. PSG have some great individuals but their style suits us and we have a real chance here.

Not making the knock outs will be a setback, probably the first real one that Klopp has had since he's been manager. So far he's either met or exceeded just about every reasonable expectation. Tough group but we've made things difficult for ourselves with two piss poor away perfomances so far. JK didn't cover himself in glory tactically in either of those games and we were collectively half asleep against Red Star. Wretched stuff. Even so, despite this we could put it all to bed and qualify a game early by beating PSG tomorrow. We are lucky to still have it in our own hands and should be really up for this one.
Headed to Belgrade, we had the group in hand. That match really was a damned disaster, it piled so much pressure on these last two at a time when we cannot afford any slip-ups in the league.

I agree about Sturridge, barring injury needs, I don't think he starts again except perhaps in a FA Cup match. Against fresh defenders, he just doesn't do enough anymore, and the difference in ball pressure is startling. Shaqiri is inconsistent defensively, both in terms of effort and decision-making, but Sturridge actually isn't inconsistent defensively - he consistently doesn't do much. Klopp may have put up with that despite his better judgement because of Sturridge's goals, but Red Star showed that he won't make defenders work hard enough over the course of a whole match anymore.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Headed to Belgrade, we had the group in hand. That match really was a damned disaster, it piled so much pressure on these last two at a time when we cannot afford any slip-ups in the league.

I agree about Sturridge, barring injury needs, I don't think he starts again except perhaps in a FA Cup match. Against fresh defenders, he just doesn't do enough anymore, and the difference in ball pressure is startling. Shaqiri is inconsistent defensively, both in terms of effort and decision-making, but Sturridge actually isn't inconsistent defensively - he consistently doesn't do much. Klopp may have put up with that despite his better judgement because of Sturridge's goals, but Red Star showed that he won't make defenders work hard enough over the course of a whole match anymore.
Red Star was an abomination. I am just glad that thanks to the early kick off I didn't have to endure it live. Not just the worst performance of the season. One of our worst ever under Klopp. Sturridge was by no means the only player to let us down in that one. Defensively his deficiencies are well known to the point where they are kind of irrelevant. He was incredibly selfish though in that game and I am sure that will have incurred JK's wrath. Shaqiri is just a better option if Mane can't start.

So far this season has been generally excellent results-wise but it's lacking a really big performance. Hoping we'll get one tomorrow and we'll need it if we're going to win. A result in Paris would help us in the league as well as in the CL so I don't think it's a straight choice over which has the priority. Qualify a game early means we could rest players against Napoli, which is just 5 days before we play Utd. It will also give us some real momentum going into Everton and the other winnable but potentially tricky games we have coming up.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
So far this season has been generally excellent results-wise but it's lacking a really big performance.
Maybe trying different formations (4-2-3-1 and 4-4-2 diamond) is the reason for that because players are still adapting to them and new singings like Keita and Fabinho are still adapting to our football and the club.

I'm not an expert and maybe the high press heavy metal Football is only possible with the 4-3-3 but I'm sure Klopp can recall it whenever it is needed - maybe it will be tomorrow.

Last thing - by the time our players get used to the new tactics and formations opponents managers will have nightmares in their preperations pre game because they won't know what to expect.

rupzzz

TIA Regular

KYRed18

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Nice to see Camacho involved, even if he'll probably be out of the 18.

RedForever2014

Since we beat Roma at Anfield, we've lost four and won two of the subsequent six Champions League matches.

We've lost all four Champions League matches that weren't at Anfield.

Going to PSG will be tough, but we really need a result to halt that record.

I think a draw means we just have to beat Napoli in the final match, if they've beaten RSB, and thus would qualify on points not having to worry about scorelines in the final match.

With that in mind, I'd probably go with Gini, Hendo and Milner in midfield, for all the creative limitations of the trio.

Hopefully that'd mean Bobby at 9.

Red over the water

We never do things the easy way! Hopefully a heroic win in Paris will see us advance even before the final game.

7th Earl

Tomorrow night we will see our best performance of the season and bring all 3 points back on the Eurostar.

Do not doubt my confidence anyone.

It is known.

In the hypothetical situation where I am incorrect I will stand before and face your stones and rocks and cabbages.

I fear not for that hypothetical situation can only occur in an alternate universe.

Not in this one lads. Not in this one.

We know what to do in Paréëè.

Allez Allez Allez.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Win we qualify, draw or lose and we out. Messed up at Belgrade and this is what we have to live with. Can't have it all, League or Champs League, and my only problem is if we don't go through we might have to endure Europa League. Fucking hell!

LFC-Orlando

TIA First Team
Win we qualify, draw or lose and we out. Messed up at Belgrade and this is what we have to live with. Can't have it all, League or Champs League, and my only problem is if we don't go through we might have to endure Europa League. Fucking hell!
No, we are not out if we draw or lose.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
Watching this one in the pub. Got that nervous feeling.

A win pretty much guarantees us next round, any other result may mean we have to beat Napoli (possibly by 2 goals) - I can't be doing with that type of game.

Should be a good game, and we should be back to a better away champions league performance. Much needed.

DJ Colin Russell

Watching this one in the pub. Got that nervous feeling.

A win pretty much guarantees us next round, any other result may mean we have to beat Napoli (possibly by 2 goals) - I can't be doing with that type of game.

Should be a good game, and we should be back to a better away champions league performance. Much needed.
Morning gonna be watching at home buzzing for this got a good feeling

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
Posted this in the Fabinho thread.....

PSG are to open talks with us over sale of Fabinho to them according to The Mail.
Now, before you all jump on me - I think there maybe something in this.
He clearly hasnt settled and he isnt playing a lot.
The Ox was different - he came in Jan - Fabinho arrived in summer so has had plenty of training and time to settle.
He didnt play the weekend which I thought was odd as he was surely bought for horrible away games like Watford and Palace - he didnt play in either.
Something doesnt add up with Fabinho.

[email protected]

PSG are to open talks with us over sale of Fabinho to them according to The Mail.
The Ox was different - he came in Jan - Fabinho arrived in summer so has had plenty of training and time to settle.
He didnt play the weekend which I thought was odd as he was surely bought for horrible away games like Watford and Palace - he didnt play in either.
Think you've inadvertently hit the nail on the head...

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
A win and we are through to the knock out stage with a game to spare. Lose, and the situation gets messy, especially if Napoli lose to Red Star.

We never make it easy for ourselves, so, obviously -

This game has all the makings of a potential banana skin! :rolleyes: (well someone had to say it)

I'll take a scrappy 1-0 win to us. :shocked:

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member

Sorry, but that is utter rubbish. Ox signed for us in the summer, but it was only in Dec/Jan when he really started to cement his spot in the starting XI.

If there were any doubts about Fabinho not settling then Klopp would never have allowed the move to proceed. Klopp is taking his time as he does with a lot of his new signing, especially when they are coming into a new country and need time to get the family settled so that they have 1 less thing to worry about whilst settling in at a new club/country. If he is still not playing regularly in Feb, then I would agree something is amiss, but right now I have no concerns regarding how Klopp is handling things

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member

I think the story is a ploy to try and unsettle one of our players. It's highly unlikely that there is any substance to the article.

In any case, it isn't fair or reasonable to compare the situation with Chambo with that of Fabinho.

Chambo didn't have to familiarise himself with the Premier League, he only had to adapt to the role and style of football that we required him to play.

Conversely Fabinho had to get up to speed (literally) with the pace and rough and tumble of the Premier League, as well as adapting to the demands our style of play placed upon him. Yes Fabinho had a full pre-season to prepare, but no amount of pre-season games would be sufficient to ready him for the culture shock that is the Premier League.

Give the lad time and I believe he'll come good.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
Sorry, but that is utter rubbish. Ox signed for us in the summer, but it was only in Dec/Jan when he really started to cement his spot in the starting XI.

If there were any doubts about Fabinho not settling then Klopp would never have allowed the move to proceed. Klopp is taking his time as he does with a lot of his new signing, especially when they are coming into a new country and need time to get the family settled so that they have 1 less thing to worry about whilst settling in at a new club/country. If he is still not playing regularly in Feb, then I would agree something is amiss, but right now I have no concerns regarding how Klopp is handling things
Yeah sorry meant Ox arrived late Aug

Status
Not open for further replies.