• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Pre-Match | Sheffield United vs Liverpool | PL Matchday 7 | Saturday September 28th 12:30h | Bramall Lane

Status
Not open for further replies.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Interesting game with a saturday early kick off. Last time we played them was 12 years ago i think.

From what i've seen they also played a second team in the League Cup.

Adrian
TAA Matip VvD Robertson
Henderson Fabinho Wijnaldum
Salah Firmino Mané​

Y.N.W.A

Red over the water

They have had a good start to the season and would love to try to show what they can do. We have become a bit of a target as teams want to measure themselves against us. I expect this to be harder than we might imagine, and we will have to battle before the quality differential becomes apparent.

I’m going for 2-0 to the mighty reds. A clean sheet would be nice.

Mo to score, and a Van Dijk header too.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Hope they don't clam up against us and i don't think they will,could be like the Norwich game we're our quality just is far too much for them also nice we've rested most of out starting eleven.
It won't be much like the Norwich. To their credit, Norwich came out with an intent to play and attack when they had the chance. Didn't work against us, paid dividends against City. The Blades have been much more traditional, defence first (their 3-5-2 is almost more Italian style than English), force opponents out wide, and deal with the crosses that gives up. Like Norwich, they are sometimes going to press high, but Norwich wanted to play a wide game, Sheffield are a lot more narrow, a lot of longer balls hoping for one of the strike partnership to get a flick-on to the other. A lot more effective so far than it has been entertaining.

PeachesEnRegalia

Epstein didn't kill himself
It won't be much like the Norwich. To their credit, Norwich came out with an intent to play and attack when they had the chance. Didn't work against us, paid dividends against City. The Blades have been much more traditional, defence first (their 3-5-2 is almost more Italian style than English), force opponents out wide, and deal with the crosses that gives up. Like Norwich, they are sometimes going to press high, but Norwich wanted to play a wide game, Sheffield are a lot more narrow, a lot of longer balls hoping for one of the strike partnership to get a flick-on to the other. A lot more effective so far than it has been entertaining.
I don't mind newly promoted clubs doing this. So far it's working for them.

We'll still hammer them.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
I don't mind newly promoted clubs doing this. So far it's working for them.

We'll still hammer them.
The 3-5-2 is an interesting wrinkle, most of the 'defend to survive' promoted clubs are more likely to play a 4-5-1 trying to clog their entire defensive area with as many bodies as possible, and make every game tedious. Sheffield United choose a space to give up (midfield width) in order to have a little more sting.

[email protected]

Never really watched them and it'll be quite interesting to see if they do that against us. Thing is, that plays exactly to one of our strengths in what Robertson and Trent do when getting forward. While our forwards aren't big Firmino, and Mané in particular, are surprisingly good in the air and at finding space and get quality crosses as service quite regularly.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Adrian
Trent Matip vDijk Robertson
Salah Firmino Mane

Subs: Kelleher, Gomez, Milner, Lallana, Keita, Chamberlain, Origi.

Remember our last game there. First game of the 06/07 season, 1-1 I think it was, we went down and then Robbie scored from a penalty. Yellow shirts.

Last edited:

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Never really watched them and it'll be quite interesting to see if they do that against us. Thing is, that plays exactly to one of our strengths in what Robertson and Trent do when getting forward. While our forwards aren't big Firmino, and Mané in particular, are surprisingly good in the air and finding space and get quality crosses as service quite regularly.
I have watched their Chelsea and Everton matches. I would say their system worked against Chelsea, but did not against Everton, result notwithstanding. Everton seemed more aware of where the space was available, they were just dire at actually using it. Chelsea was more determined to batter through the middle I think. On the attack, Sheffield struggled to get much going against Everton (in part I think because they had a lead for over half the game, so were more cautious). Their scheme seems to rely on a flaring run from one of the two strikers, with long balls aimed wide, outside the 18 yard box and in the zone between the 18 and half line. The other striker shifts over and makes an interior run, one of the midfielders always runs into the space that striker vacates, and sometimes one of the other 3 mids makes a supporting run. That worked much more effectively against Chelsea than Everton, ironically.

I think they probably will, so it might be an interesting day for their wingbacks. TAA in particular might get some excellent chances for crosses from deep, because they defend the drives for crosses into the corner fairly vigorously, but a fullback perhaps 30 meters out in a wide position is basically standing where they are willing to let him stand.

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter
Interesting game with a saturday early kick off. Last time we played them was 12 years ago i think.

From what i've seen they also played a second team in the League Cup.

Adrian
TAA Matip VvD Robertson
Salah Firmino Mané​

Y.N.W.A
Probably the easiest predicted lineup ever.

Red over the water

Their manager is a self confessed mardy Yorkshireman - I liked what I read last week. He was laying into them and Jagielka said, "Boss, this was a good result, we just beat Everton..." or something like that. Anyhow, there's a bit more depth and insight to the manager than you might expect. They have thought it through and it's a case of so far so good for them.

On our end what we've been showing as the team matures is an ability to win all sorts of games. If we play well we beat anybody. But it's not always like that, and some days you have to find a way to win, and that's what is helping us put up such strong challenges for the title of late. We are a team that doesn't panic, and we also have the ability to work it out on the pitch. We have some clever players who, I expect, will do what they need to do to find the space they need out there.

As Arminius says, Sheffield United will be narrow and will pack the bodies in that way, when they are on the back foot, but they will try to hit the diagonal and get support up there for the hoped for secondary ball as it comes down.

We should have too much quality, but as ever, we have to earn the right to show it. I think we will. 2-0.

jim bouki

Can't say i've watched much of them as i only really watch liverpool games and we haven't played them in years, but after a nice midweek break our first XI should be too much for them to handle. I reckon this will be as routine a victory as can be... goal in the first 20 mins which will force them to open up, with our front 3 taking full advantage of the extra spaces, and big virg and joel cleaning up every long ball they hoof forward in an attempt to relieve pressure

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
They have done better than expected this season so far.
As long as we match them for determination and fight we should come through fine. Complacency and mistakes will be what beats us if anything does.
Could be 8 points clear by the time city play so just need to focus.
Then I need to dig out my Everton shirt.

[email protected]

Absolutely necessary sometimes....one of the joys of the Champions League final was that it was just about the only Liverpool game I watched last season while enjoying a beer. Those noon kickoffs in particular are a mite early to partake here.
The trick would surely be to start partaking the night before then just continue partaking so it still qualifies as late rather than early.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
December 26, 1972. Sheffield United v Liverpool. This was the first time I went to a Liverpool game. Until then I had only ever watched highlights of us on TV or struggled to listen to the occasional second half commentary on BBC radio as the reception faded in and out.

It was a Christmas present, my pleas for a puppy having been cruelly snubbed by my parents. We won 3-0 (Boersma, Lawler, Heighway) but I can't remember any of the goals. I can remember that Bramall Lane looked odd because it only had 3 stands. One side of the ground was open as it backed on to a cricket pitch. And we looked odd because we were playing in white shirts, white shorts and red socks. The only detail I can remember from the match was the oohs and aahs of the crowd when Ian Callaghan hit an inch perfect pass from one side of the pitch to the other. These days I would probably describe it dismissively as a Hollywood pass, but to someone who could then only kick the ball about 10 yards, it was a wonder to behold.

This current team is much better than the 72/73 version even though that one went on to win the league. We are so good now that it's hard to think of a game outside of one against City that we don't go into as strong favourites but Chelsea was a warning that if we slacken off or think it might be too easy we could be punished. Sheffield have started well and we will know we've been in a game here.

Status
Not open for further replies.